Kris' Story

Baby EXO: Kris's History

This thing took me like, 2 days. LOL. Warning, this is just drama! No crack. 

Sorry for everyone who wanted crack T_T
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Xiumin could hear it. He pressed his ear onto the door and cringed when he heard something crashed. Shouts were emitted and a string of words he didn’t understand rang through the walls. A sniffing Luhan tugged his shirt.

“Is everything okay?” He asked. Xiumin felt sorry for his brother. He nodded and smiled, but it was a sad smile.

“Go back to sleep, Luhan. Xiumin will be here.” Being the eldest, Xiumin had to protect his brothers. Even though he was only 5, he understood what happened. Xiumin tugged 4 year old Luhan’s hands and helped him on his bed.

“Will everything be fine tomorrow?” Luhan whispered as Xiumin pulled the covers over his tiny body.

“Everything would be fine.” Xiumin assured. He turned to face a 9 months Tao. “Don’t make any more noises. Tao might wake up.” Luhan nodded and closed his eyes. Xiumin climbed on the bed next to Yixing’s, and he could still hear the shouts. He covered his head with the old blanket.

‘Please let everything be fine,’ he thought to himself and silently cried himself to sleep.

-.-

Kris was frustrated. Last week he came back from work early, and he didn’t have the chance to pick up the kids yet. It was strange when he saw his wife’s car, but he shrugged it off. It started to not get strange when he hear sound from upstairs. Kris froze as he tried to think straight, because those sound sounds awfully like… . He ran up to his room and barged in, only to see his wife beneath another man. He was raged. He literally threw the man out and almost strangled his wife, but he restrained to do so. Instead, he went out, took the kids from the nursery and drove around Seoul to calm his mind.

Tonight, his wife came home late, and Kris doesn’t have to ask why. He knew what happened.

“Why are you doing this?” He pleaded. “Don’t you love the kids anymore?”

“I want a divorce,” the woman snapped.

“Why?”

“You’re different now. I don’t see what I did wrong actually. You are getting boring, my life as a mother is getting boring, and it’s not a crime to meet people. The kids are a burden anyways-” She didn’t get to finish her sentence as Kris slapped her hard till she fell. The woman held her burning cheeks and glared up to Kris. “What the hell?”

“You dare say that in my face? The kids are everything to me. To you! You love them!” Kris shouted, obviously raged.

“I did, but not now. I found a better life, no kids, and just freedom with the one I really love!” She retorted as she struggled to stand back up. “I don’t need any annoying kids in my life! I hate them!”

“Mommy hates us?” Little Xiumin came out, tears b in his eyes as his voice came out as a strangled whisper. Kris’ heart crushed to see his son in such a state. But of course, the woman felt nothing.

“I hate you! I regret that I gave birth to you. I should have just aborted you when I had the chance!” She screamed. That did it. All the strength and self control he built to protect his brothers crumbled down. He fell to the floor in a sobbing mess.

“How could you say that!?” Kris’ hand found his way to her cheeks again. The woman fell down again, her cheeks blazing red. Kris shot a disgusted look at the woman and ran to pick up Xiumin. The little boy curled into a ball in his father’s arms as his sobs were dominating the room.

“Mommy…” Xiumin cried as he buried his face in Kris’ dress shirt. Kris looked as if he was about to cry too. Xiumin looked so fragile and weak. He kissed the boy’s forehead over and over again as he whispered soothing words into his ears.

“Don’t cry, Xiupao. Appa will always love you. Appa loves Xiupao, so don’t cry.” Kris said gently into his son’s ear. Through the corner of his eyes, he saw his wife got up.

“I hate you! I hate all of you! Especially you kids! Go to hell! Go to hell, Xiumin! I never loved you in my entire life!” The woman screamed like a mad man. Xiumin, who was just calming down broke down again. Kris couldn’t take it anymore.

“Stop! Stop it right now, you ! Don’t you say another word or I’ll swear I’ll kick you right now.” Kris yelled. The woman looked at him with hatred before grabbing her keys and slamming the front door shut. Kris sighed as he turned to face Xiumin. The boy was curled in a ball in the corner, sobbing. “Xiupao,” Kris called gently.

“Mommy hates Xiumin.” He heard the boy whisper. “Xiumin should have never lived.”

“Don’t say that,” Kris quickly picked up the broken boy. Kris kissed his head multiple times. “Appa loves Xiumin, and that’s why Xiumin has to live.”

“Why didn’t mommy kill Xiumin when Xiumin was in mommy’s stomach, appa?” Xiumin asked sadly. “It wouldn’t hurt like this.”

“Don’t say that, Xiupao.”

“Everybody hates Xiumin. No one loves Xiumin.”

“Appa loves Xiumin,” Kris said as he gently bounced the child in his arms. “Appa loves Xiumin forever, remember that.” Kris kissed his head again and hugged him tightly, as if he doesn’t want to let go. “Everybody loves Xiumin. Don’t say that again, sweetheart. Appa loves you, Luhan loves you, Chen, Yixing and Tao loves you.” Kris gently whispered. Xiumin didn’t say anything; only just sob in his appa’s chest. “Do you want appa to sleep with you tonight?” Kris asked his son. Xiumin nodded. Kris was about to enter his bedroom before he halted. He’s afraid that he can’t control it when he sees her things, so he turned and walked into the kid’s room. Kris lay down on Xiumin’s bed. It was a little uncomfortable, being the bed too small, but Kris didn’t care, and neither did Xiumin. It felt nice, curling up in a ball in your appa’s hands.

“Goodnight, appa,” Xiumin’s croaky voice said. With a sad smile, Kris kissed his head and wished back.

-.-

 

That morning, Kris woke up with a curled up Xiumin next to him. His gaze moved to his other sons. He slowly got up, careful not to wake Xiumin, and walked over to the baby cot and peeked inside. Tao was peacefully sleeping. Kris gently picked him up, causing the little baby to awaken.

“Hey there, little prince. Good morning,” Kris said with a smile. Seeing him smile, Tao smiled too, showing his nonexistent teeth, and instead showcasing his pink gums. Kris chuckled. 

How could anyone hate the kids?

He glanced back and saw Yixing snoring on his bed; Chen curled up next to him. Both of them liked to sleep together sometimes. He glanced at Luhan. The 4 year old is in a weird position, his mouth opened with drool slowly trickling down. Lastly, he looked at Xiumin. The little angel was curled in a ball. Kris could see that his eyes were puffy, cheeks bloated and lips filled with bite marks. He must’ve bit his lips to stop himself from crying, Kris thought.

‘Poor Xiupao’, Kris thought sadly. He looked at the baby in his arms. He thanked god that she didn’t abort Tao.

“No one is going to hurt you,” He whispered to Tao. “All of you,” he said and glanced to the room. “I promise,” he leaned down and kissed Tao on his forehead.

-.-

Kris was surprised by her visit that day in his office. She came strutting in her office outfit, which was too tight for her, in Kris’ opinion. She came barging into Kris’ room, ignoring the frantic secretary’s cries. Kris glanced up from his paper, his eyes trained on his wife and his secretary that looked down.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Wu.” She apologized. “I-I tried,”

“It’s okay. You may go out, Suzy. Oh, and close the door, please.” Kris said with a small smile. Suzy breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you, boss.” Was all she said before scampering out of the room, closing the door behind her. Kris then looked at his wife.

“What brings you here?” He asked casually as his hands deftly stacked the papers on the side of his desk. He continued doing a little bit of work while waiting for his wife to speak up. “You can sit down, you know?” He said and raised an eyebrow at his still standing wife. His wife crossed her arms over her chest.

“I want a divorce,” She said curtly. Kris sighed. He knew this was coming. He took off his reading glasses and placed it back in its casing.

“Are you sure?” He asked again. The woman scoffed.

“I don’t want to be tied to a bastard like you anymore-”

“Hold up,” Kris held his hand up. “Let’s settle this quietly, shall we?” He motioned for the woman to sit. “Sit down, and we’ll discuss this matter quicker than you thought.” The woman huffed, but she sat down anyways. “So you want a divorce?”

“Yes,” She answered. “I’m not going to take no for an-”

“Alright,” Kris said, cutting her sentence halfway. She looked surprised.

“R-Really?”

“If that’s what you want.” Kris took out a piece of parchment. “But we have to make an agreement.” He said.

“But what if I don’t agree?”

“Simple, we don’t get divorced.” Kris said in a calm tone. “So, do you want to hear it or not?”

“Alright,” The woman nodded her head slowly.

“Here it goes. You can have the house, have the furniture, everything. All I ask for is half of our family’s savings and the kids.”

“All of them?” the woman paled.

“Yes, all of them. I want them.” Kris said as he wrote on the piece of paper neatly. He then signed at the bottom of it. “Here you go. All you need to do is sign here.” He said and handed her the paper and a pen. “All it takes is one sign, and we’re officially divorced and you are free.”

“But,” She abruptly stood up. “I want Tao and Luhan.” She said. Kris looked at her.

“I thought you said you hated them.” He mused.

“Not all of them. I want Tao and Luhan.” She said. “I won’t sign this until it says I get to keep Tao and Luhan.”

“What about all the other kids?” Kris stood up now. He was trying to control his rage. “They’re your kids too. And you’re treating them like trash. Yixing? Chen? Xiumin?”

“I don’t want them!” She snapped. “Only Tao and Luhan.”

“Don’t make this any harder, woman.” Kris said as he threw his pen on the floor. “You sign this and you get whatever you want, except the kids. They are mine.”

“I want the kids!” She yelled.

“Damn!” Kris threw his glass globe on the wall. It made a loud crash. The woman flinched. His see-through office made the scene clear to other workers who were watching. Thank god the walls were sound proof. “You abandoned them, threw them away like they were nothing and went with that bastard, and then you came back crawling for them? What kind of are you pulling?!”

“I want them because they are not even your kids!” She screamed. Kris, who was about to throw his laptop, froze.

Tao and Luhan are not his kids? So this means she started cheating even before Luhan was born?

Kris slumped on his seat. No wonder he couldn’t find any resemblance of him and Luhan. Tao, maybe his lips, but it may be just a coincidence. He closed his eyes and inhaled. Luhan. The sweet, soft, fragile boy. His eyes were big, not like his. His voice is melodious and gentle, not like his deep one. His nose spares no resemblance of him, moreover his lips. Even his hair colour didn’t match. Luhan has blonde hair. Kris has brown hair, whilst his wife has black. Why didn’t he notice it before?

“Feel like giving them up now?” The woman taunted. Kris inhaled and opened his eyes. He stood up and stared at the woman.

“Never.” He seethed. “Even though they are not my kids, I want them. They don’t belong to someone like you. Heartless and unfaithful.” He said. The woman’s lips trembled. “I won’t let this go easily, Ai Lin.” Kris said his wife’s name. “See you in court.” His lips tugged into a small smirk. Ai Lin stared at his husband.

“Have it your way.” Was all she said before angrily walking out of Kris’ office. Kris sighed as he sat back down and massaged his temples. He noticed all his co workers staring at him. He called Suzy in.

“Yes boss?” The girl asked. Kris looked at her.

“Call in the janitor to clean up this mess.” Kris ordered as he placed his hands on his desk and hung his head.

“Okay.” Suzy turned towards the door. She hesitated. “Boss?”

“Yes?”

“Are you okay?” Suzy asked, genuinely concerned. “We’re all scared, boss.”

“I don’t know, Suzy. I honestly don’t know.” Was all Kris said before he felt a tear trickle down his nose and dripped on his desk. Suzy felt it was best to leave her boss alone.

-.-

Yixing got up and yawned. He looked around in the nursery. It was nap time, but he doesn’t feel like napping. Maybe he could ask for a banana from Miyeon noona. He untangled Chen from him and walked towards the door. He looked back at the line of sleeping toddlers.

Strange, he thought. Luhan isn’t sleeping next to Xiumin, like he always does. Maybe he went to the toilet, Yixing thought. He exited the room and went downstairs to the kitchen. Miyeon was cooking something for them to eat for the evening.

“Hey, Xingie. You’re up?” Miyeon called happily. Yixing nodded.

“Can I have a banana?” He asked.

“Go take it over there.” She pointed to the fruit basket. “Oh, and Xingie,” She looked back at Yixing. “Only one, okay?” She warned. Yixing smiled sheepishly.

“Okay.” He took one and decided to take a look on Tao. The infants usually slept in front of the television. Tao would usually sleep next to the corner. When he got there, he saw that the spot is empty. Strange, he though again. Tao couldn’t possible go to the toilet. He could barely walk. He raced back to the kitchen. “Miyeon noona,”

“Yes?”

“Where is Tao?” Yixing asked, throwing the banana peel inside the dustbin.

“Oh, your mommy took him already. She also took Luhan. Didn’t you know?” Miyeon asked, clearly confused as Yixing is.

“No,” Yixing backed away. “Can I use the phone for a while?”

“Sure.” Miyeon watched the toddler ran in panic towards the phone. Yixing quickly dialed the only number he mesmerized and hoped that he pick up.

“Hello?”

“Appa,” Yixing cut the hello. “Did you send mommy to pick Tao and Luhan hyung?” He could hear Kris shift in his seat.

“No, why?”

“They’re gone now. Miyeon noona said mommy picked them up.” Kris stood up, clutching his phone tightly.

“Stay there and wait for appa. Make sure all of your other brothers are awake and with you.” Kris said.

“Alright. Bye appa,” Yixing ended the call. He raced back upstairs and barged into the room. “Xiumin hyung, wake up!”

“What?” Xiumin asked, obviously irritated.

“Luhan and Tao are gone!” Yixing said, tears blurring his eyes. He was scared for his brothers. Xiumin shot up.

“What? Did you call appa?” Xiumin was horrified.

“I did. We have to wait for him. I’ll go wake Chen.” Yixing walked over towards Chen, tears already spilling. His heart couldn’t bear to think what happened to his younger brother and his older brother. “Chennie,”

“Chen, wake up! Tao and Luhan are gone!” Xiumin shook the boy awake. Chen’s eyes went wide open when he heard them.

“TaoTao?” Chen croaked. Yixing nodded. Chen has always had a soft spot for Tao. “What should we do?”

“We have to wait for appa to pick us up.” Yixing said as he wiped his tears with his shirt. “Come on.” Xiumin pulled Chen up and dragged the boy down. The three waited in the living room, Miyeon trying to pacify an already crying Yixing while Xiumin held onto a crying Chen. In 15 minutes, Kris’ car appeared in front of the gates.

“Come here, XingXing.” He took Yixing from Miyeon. “Come, you two. We need to find your brothers.” Xiumin and Chen walked towards the car and Kris tried to calm Yixing. Kris placed Yixing next to Xiumin who was in the middle of his two brothers and started the car. Kris’ mind wasn’t thinking straight. He went straight to the police office, filing a report.

“Please find them,” Kris begged the police officer. “They mean the world to me.”

“We’ll do our best, sir.” The police officer assured him. But for now, let’s just pray for the best.” Kris nodded and thanked the officer before going out. Chen held his knee while Xiumin and Yixing silently followed behind. The four of them walked towards the car and Kris drove towards home. He called a close friend of his.

“Hello?”

“Hey Henry,” Kris started. Can you do me a favor?”

“Sure.”

“Can you make an ad on the newspaper to look for silver Honda Accord Sedan? The plate number is,” Kris told him the plate number. “Please Henry, this is important to me. Tao and Luhan are missing.” Kris pleaded.

“Don’t sweat, my friend. This thing will be out by tomorrow.” Henry said. They exchanged a few more words before Kris killed the call.

“Will Luhan and Tao come back?” Xiumin asked quietly. Kris looked at his son in through the mirror.

“We will, sweetheart. I’ll sort things out.” Kris said gently. Xiumin nodded. To distressed to even drive anywhere, Kris parked in front of a park. “Why don’t you and your brothers go out to play for a while?” The three nodded and went out to play. Kris switched off the engine and went out. He looked at his kids. How easy of them to be happy again. He sat on a bench as he watched his kids. A ball rolled at his feet. A little boy with black hair and plump lips came towards him.

“Ahjusshi, Jongin is sorry!” He apologized and did a deep bow. Kris chuckled at how cute the boy is. He picked up the ball and ruffled the kid’s hair.

“It’s okay.” He handed the boy back the ball. “Jongin, is it?”

“Yeah.” The little boy nodded cutely.

“Jongin!” Jongin turned around.

“Appa!” A man came towards them. Kris looked up and was greeted with a kind face with brown hair. “Appa, this is nice ahjusshi!” Kris chuckled at his statement. “He gave Jongin back ball.”

“Did you say thank you to the nice ahjusshi?” The man said as he the boy’s hair. Jongin’s eyes went wide.

“Ah, I didn’t!” Jongin gently slapped himself. “Bad Jonginnie!” Jongin faced Kris. “Thank you, nice ahjusshi!”

“It’s okay.” Kris said with a smile.

“Appa!” Yixing came running to him, face red. “Xiumin hyung cheated!”

“I did not!” Xiumin came running over, Chen in tow. “I said you were it!”

“No you didn’t!” Yixing whined back.

“Hi!” Jongin butted in the middle. Yixing, Xiumin and Chen looked at the kid. “Want to play ball with Jongin, Kyungsoo hyung, Chanyeol hyung and Baekhyun hyung?”

“Would we?” Chen’s eyes went big. He faced Kris. “Can we, appa?”

“Sure, play ahead.” Kris gave his permission. The three faces lit up as they followed Jongin back to two other kids. The man sat next to Kris as they watched their kids play.

“Oh, silly me. Where are my manners?” The man suddenly said. He extended a hand. “My name’s Suho.”

“Kris,” Kris accepted the hand. “Jongin is really cute.” Suho laughed.

“But he tends to be a little enthusiastic sometimes,” He explained. “Maybe he’s excited for his little brother to come out.”

“Oh, how much longer?” Kris asked, interested.

“Next week. I can’t wait either.” Suho said.

“Where is she?”

“At home. I can’t really take her out in her condition.” Suho explained. He glanced around. The park is empty except for them. “Uh, where is your wife?” When Kris heard the inevitable question, he exhaled.

“Long story,” he said to his new friend.

“I’m listening.” Suho said with a kind smile. Kris hesitated whether he should trust this man, but he seems sincere enough, so he told him his story. Kris tried hard not to break down at the end of his story. Suho patted his back in sympathy.

“Now, Luhan and Tao are missing. She took them, that bastard.” Kris said as he held his sobs.

“I’ll help you find them.” Suho said. “Phone number?” Both of them exchanged phone numbers. Suho patted him on the back. “We’ll get them back, Kris. Don’t worry.” Kris nodded. “I have to go now, I wish you best of luck.”

“Thanks.” Kris watched Suho call his kids and they waved at Kris goodbye. Kris sadly smiled at them back as his own kids bounced towards him. “Let’s go home, boys.” He announced. The three of them nodded and followed him back to the car. As soon as they got in, the boys fell asleep. Kris smiled at their reflection. His mind then thought about Luhan and Tao.

“Where are you?” he whimpered as tears slowly trickled down his face.

-.-

Luhan held onto Tao. He was crying like crazy. This woman isn’t mommy. Mommy won’t do this to us, he thought. His whole body is filled with bruises, his leg broken, maybe.

“Hey Lu,” A drunk man came towards him. “I have never met anyone as amazing as your mother.” He slurred. Ai Lin laughed as they crashed their lips together sloppily. Luhan closed his eyes as his body covered Tao. He doesn’t want to see this.

“You bastard. You came out accidentally, I never meant for you to live anyways,” The man slurred as his hands hit Luhan’s back. The boy stiffened as he sobbed. Tao was crying. He didn’t like this place, he didn’t like the man nor the woman, and most of all, he doesn’t like to see his Luhan hyung crying.

“Stop hitting the boy. I went to a lot of trouble getting him,” Ai Lin said and pulled the man’s hands from them.

“You should have just aborted them,” The man grumbled.

“You know I can’t do that. My husband already knew I was pregnant even before I had the chance to.” Ai Lin said gently. The man shrugged as he took a drag of the alcohol in his hands.

“Oh, they called you right? You have to go to court in 5 days?” He asked.

“Yeah. Stupid Kris.” Ai Lin spitted out.

“You don’t have to go,” The man said. Ai Lin sighed.

“I have to, or they’ll catch me and I could go to jail or something.”

“That ,” The man said and crinkled his nose. Ai Lin nodded. Both of them exited the room, leaving Luhan and Tao alone.

“Appa, where are you?” Luhan whispered. “I want appa!” He screamed, tears blurring his vision. Maybe he was too exhausted, or maybe his body just can’t stand the abusing anymore.

He fainted.

-.-

Kris felt like a madman. He was cooped in his house for three days, answering calls from people about the whereabouts of his wife. He hasn’t shaved, and he looks like a mental patient. Thank god his sister offered to live with him for a while to take care of the kids.

“Kris,” She said as he carried an eating Chen in her arms. “Go shave. And take a bath, for god’s sake.” She said and crinkled her nose. Kris looked at her. She felt sorry as she looked into her little brother’s eyes. They used to be full of life, full of love. Now, they were just empty.

“I can’t. Someone might call.” He rambled. She placed Chen down.

“Look, I’ll answer it for you. You go take care of your hygiene.” She said with a frown. Kris was about to protest, but she shooed him into the bathroom. “Don’t come out until you are clean and shaved!”

“Alright!” Kris yelled back. He looked at himself in the mirror. Wow, he does look like a mess. He sniffed at his body, and almost fainted at the scent. He smells like cow dung. He showered, making sure to scrub the grime off his body and applying as much as soap and shampoo on his body and hair. When he was done and satisfied with the fruity scent radiating from his body, he took out his shaver and shaving cream. When he was done shaving, he smiled. He looks like Kris again. Not broken hearted Kris.

Kris realized that he has to look strong. He has to make people think, ‘Wah, this man is so smart. Why did his wife left him in the first place?’, and not ‘He looks awful. Maybe that’s why his wife left him,’. He nodded his head. He has to look smart. When he was done drying himself, Kris stepped out of the bathroom.

“Kris, get dressed quick. I think I might know where Tao and Luhan are,” his sister said seriously. Kris’ eyes went wide. “Get dressed quick!” She yelled. Kris quickly got dressed. Her sister gave him the address; it was scribbled on a piece of paper.

“Who gave this?” Kris asked. He’s thankful of the soul that gave him new hope.

“Suho,” She said. “He said you know him…?”

“I do.” Kris said with a smile.

“He’ll meet you there.” She patted his shoulder. “Go get them back.” Kris smiled at himself as he started the ignition.

‘Thank you, Suho. You’re an angel,’

-.-

Suho peeked from the bush. He parked his car behind tall weeds, making it barely visible. He grunted. Where the hell is Kris?

“Hey,”

The smaller jumped. He turned around and saw Kris. “You scared the bejeezus out of me!” He snapped. Kris flashed him an apologetic smile.

“Sorry.” He said. “So she’s in there?”

“Yeah. Went straight in.” Suho said. He glanced at the taller male. “Well, are you ready to go in?” Kris folded the sleeves of his arms.

“More than ever. Here, hold this.” He handed Suho a camcorder. Suho looked at him, confused. “This is going to be good evidence against her in court. Just trying to win, you know?” He said and cocked his head to the side. Suho nodded. He set the camcorder in record.

“Let’s go,” both of them walked towards the front door. Kris tried the knob.

“It’s lock.” He said. Suho scoffed as he handed the camcorder back to Kris.

“Watch me,” He said as he looked at the door. With a mighty yell, he kicked the door, and it split in half. Kris stared at the little man. “Okay, let’s go in.” He grabbed the camcorder from Kris as both of them went in. They passed a slightly ajar room, and Kris pushed it open. Suho was shocked to see the pair ‘in action’. Both of them gasped at Suho and Kris’ sudden visit, but Kris just left it.

“Stay here, record them. I’ll call you,” Kris whispered to Suho. Suho nodded. Kris walked over to the next room. He could hear crying. “Tao, Luhan!” He yelled as he tried the knob. It was locked. “Appa’s coming, sweetheart!” Kris yelled. With all his might, he crashed his body against the door, and it opened. Kris’ heart fell at what condition his son’s were in. Tao was crying, body all bruised, and Luhan was unconscious, his body also bruised, and blood was slowly trickling down his forehead. “Suho!” He called for his friend. He heard footsteps, and his friend gasped at the kids’ condition. Kris walked over to Luhan. “Help me carry Tao,” He said. Suho nodded as he carried the crying Tao.

“Shh, everything’s alright.” He said to Tao gently. Tao didn’t know the man, but he felt comfortable in his touches. Tao’s crying got slower. “How could they do this to you?”

“I don’t want to know. Let’s go.” Both of them exited the house, ignoring the couple as Kris placed Luhan at the backseat, Suho holding onto him and Tao. Kris sped off to the nearest hospital. When he got there, Tao was treated as an outpatient as Luhan was taken to the ICU, seeing that his breathing was getting shallow. Kris slumped on the waiting seat, holding an already treated Tao in his hands. Suho looked over to his friend in sympathy.

“Luhan is going to be fine,” he assured the taller. Kris closed his eyes. He already called his sister, and she’s on her way with the kids. “He’s a strong kid.”

“I know he is.” Kris said. He opened his eyes and looked at Suho. “Thank you. Without you, I wouldn’t have found them, and Luhan might be dead.” He said weakly.

“It’s fine.” Suho said with a sincere smile. “I know how it feels like.” Kris nodded his head as he held Tao close to him. The baby snuggled against his chest, glad that it was the comfortable feeling of his father’s hands. They waited for a little bit more until the doctor came out. Kris and Suho got up almost immediately.

“Who is the father of this child?” He asked.

“I am,” Kris said as he looked at the doctor. “Is Luhan okay?”

“He’s stable now. He lost a lot of blood, but we managed to stabilize him. It’s a good thing you brought him here quick. A second late, and the boy would be gone.” The kind doctor said with a smile. Kris and Suho both breathed in relief.

“Can we visit him now?” Suho asked. The doctor nodded his head.

“He’s awake, but try not making too much noise.” He said before leaving. Kris and Suho both thanked him. “Go,” He said to Kris. “I’ll hold Tao for you.” Kris handed Tao to Suho and stepped inside the ward. There, he saw Luhan lying weakly on the bed, all sorts of wires stuck on him.

“Appa,” He called softly.

“I’m here, darling. I’m here,” Kris went over to him and kissed his forehead. Kris gently hugged the boy. Luhan held on the shirt Kris was wearing.

“Luhan was scared. They hit Luhan,” he sobbed. Kris’ heart fell when he heard it. “Luhan’s body hurts, appa,” He croaked.

“Luhan is okay, now.” Kris said as he the boy’s hair. “Appa will never let Luhan go, ever again.” Kris said as he untangled the hug. He looked into the boy’s light brown orbs. They were glassy.

“Really?” Luhan asked. Kris kissed his nose.

“I promise.”

-.-

When Kris got back from court, the first thing he did was pack all his and his kids’ clothes. Suho helped him. He couldn’t help but grin. He won. He get to keep the kids. At first, he couldn’t keep Luhan and Tao, but with the evidence on the two boys’ bodies, they claimed his wife unfit to take care of them.

“You look happy,” Suho stated as they loaded the bags in the car. Kris smiled.

“I can’t help it. I’m too happy.” Kris said. Suho chuckled. Who wouldn’t?

“So you’re staying in the place I showed you?” Suho asked. Kris nodded. Earlier, Suho showed him a house near Suho’s apartment complex. It was nice, Kris thought.

“Appa! Wait for us!” Chen cried as he ran out. He saw Xiumin carry Tao out, and Yixing helping Luhan walk. The boy had his left leg cemented.

“Let’s go.” Kris chirped happily. He smiled to himself.

Things do work out, eventually.