100 Days Anniversary (Sunggyu ver.)

100 Days Anniversary (Sunggyu ver.)

-9:00AM-
"Ah, really?" Sunggyu asked as his girlfriend finished explaining that she was busy on their anniversary. He had been wanting to plan something special with her in order to make up for all time he'd been away on tour. He was a little disappointed and irritated to hear that she couldn't get off work for that one day.
Well, work is work...
"I'm sorry Sunggyu, really," she apologized.
But she wasn't sorry for 'being busy'. She was sorry that she had to keep such an exciting secret from him! What he didn't know was that she'd been busy planning an anniversary event for the two of them, not work. "I'm off around 6, if you want to come over then."
"But what is there to do at 6? Everything's closed on a Sunday," he asked hopelessly.
"We can watch a movie, have a relaxing night in?" she suggested, "It's still better than nothing."
"I guess so." There was silence on the other end and Sunggyu cleared his throat. "Are you going to work now?" he asked, checking the clock. It felt so early.
"Yes, I'll be late if I don't head out now."
"Okay. I-" Sunggyu paused.
"What is it?"
"It's nothing. Have a good day at work."
"Thanks. See you later."
She hung up, wondering what was on Sunggyu's mind. He was like that sometimes. There was always an awkward silence before the two of them had to say goodbye.
trans.gif
-5:58PM-
She took one last look around the room, satisfied with its appearance. There were candles lit all around, pillows here and there, but best of all - a full three-course meal she spent hours on consisting of all of Sunggyu's favorite dishes. She hoped he'd forgive her for lying about this. After all, Sunggyu was so nosey! It was difficult to keep such secrets from him, because he always wanted to be the one to plan things. But it was her turn now.
The doorball rang, and she went to answer it. She gasped and smiled as she saw Sunggyu standing there with a nice blazer and a bouquet of roses.
"Happy anni-" Sunggyu's sentence cut short as he noticed the inside of her house. It was decorated so intimately, he wasn't sure what to say.
"Come in, I made dinner," she said with a quick peck on the cheek. Sunggyu swallowed and stepped in. Taking off his shoes, he broke into a cold sweat.
Did she do this by herself?
She headed to the table and put the bouquet in a vase. Sunggyu sat down and watched her, words flying through his head faster than he could speak.
"Do you like it? I spent all day on this. It's what I was 'working' on," she said, sheepishly.
Sunggyu said nothing as he continued to watch her. She happily served the two of them salad for a start, and picked up her fork. She set it down as she noticed Sunggyu's cold expression.
"What-"
"You lied to me."
"Sunggyu, I-"
"You said you were busy with work when you were just spending the day cooking."
"Sunggyu-"
"We could have gone out to a nice restaurant! I wanted to take you!"
"But Sunggyu, I made your-"
"You did all this without telling me, I can't believe..." he stopped as he noticed tears forming in her eyes. "Wait, don't cry."
"So, what is it Sunggyu, is this food not good enough for you?"
"Huh?"
"Are you too good for home-cooked meals now that you've got enough money to go to the fanciest restaurants in town?"
"No, that's-"
"I had to lie because otherwise, you wouldn't hear of it! To you, everything is about plans and reservations, you can't even appreciate a heartfelt surprise when it's right in front of you."
"Wait-"
"I don't even know why I bothered," she said. She got up from the table and ran away. Sunggyu called after her but she disappeared into her room.
"Aish..." Sunggyu stared at the meal in front of him, then around the room. It really did look like a lot of work, but he didn't mean to come off as unappreciative. He was just taken off guard by it all. He didn't feel like he deserved all this - he wanted to spoil her, not the other way around.

knock knock!
Silence.
"Yah, our food's getting cold. Don't you want to come eat?" asked Sunggyu as he opened the door. His heart hurt a bit as he saw his girlfriend lying on the bed, crying into her pillow. He felt guilty for letting things get to this degree, especially on their anniversary. Especially after all of her efforts... He sat down on the bed next to her and pet her hair. "Please stop crying."
She wiped the tears away from her face and turned the other way. She felt guilty for lying to Sunggyu, and she didn't want to break his trust because of that.
"Do you hate me, now that I've lied to you?"
"What?" What a silly question, how did she conclude to that? "I don't hate you! I-" he swallowed, "I don't hate you, don't be silly."
"I'm sorry for lying to you. I just really wanted to surprise you," she sniffled. Sunggyu was surprised, but he didn't know how to say it. A 'thank you' wouldn't make sense, as the night wasn't just for him. It for was both of them. But how could he point that out?
Taking a deep breath, Sunggyu lifted her up and set her on his lap, brushing the hair out of her face. He smiled as they made eye contact and she blushed.
"I really love what you did," he said, "but you have to understand, I feel bad for not being around, I wanted to do something special for you. I wasn't mad at you, I wasn't mad at all. I'm sorry if it came off that way."
"It's okay," she mumbled. She got off his lap and headed to the door. Sunggyu watched her, motionless. "Are you hungry?"
"Oh. Yes," he admitted, secretly disappointed that the conversation was over.

The two of them headed back to the kitchen. Just as she was about to sit down, Sunggyu hugged her from behind. He quickly let go, surprised by his own action.
"Sunggyu?" she asked, turning to face him. She was surprised to see he was blushing.
"I'm... I'm sorry, that was weird."
"What was?" she asked, completely clueless as to what he was referring to. It couldn't have been the hug. After all, she was sitting on his lap two minutes ago. That, she thought, could have been considered weird.
"Nevermind."
They sat down at the table and she smiled. "Happy anniversary, Sunggyu," she said as they clinked their glasses together and took a sip. Sunggyu smiled at his girlfriend as she took the first bite. He took a bite too, relishing the flavor. Thankfully, it wasn't cold even after that small scene.
As the two of them finished up their quiet dinner, Sunggyu offered to help her with the dishes. She refused, saying that he needed to rest up before work tomorrow. He helped her with them anyway, saying that he'd be fine as long as he was with her. Once all was said and done, it was time to say good night.

Sunggyu stood at the doorway with his shoes on and stared at his girlfriend. He had a nice evening and was really happy to have seen her again. It was hard to say goodbye.
"Take care of yourself while I'm gone, okay?" he asked, taking her hands.
"I will, you don't have to worry about me. Take care of yourself too, and don't work yourself too hard."
"Don't worry, I'll be fine."
"Well... Good night, Sunggyu. I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too."
They stood there, holding hands, hanging on to the sparse moment they had left with each other. Sunggyu swallowed as his grip tightened, and he leaned forward, kissing his girlfriend softly.