Finale

Fly to Your Heart

 

TaeYeon thought she has at least three more days. Thus when she wakes up from the sudden weight pressing down on her hips, she has a slight smile, which never grows into a full one. The heaviness is not quite right and while morning —or more like early dawn —is something they have developed a habit of, she knows from the constant hum of traffic outside the apartment that it is far too late for that. Peeking experimentally with one eye, almost in fear of finding what—or rather who is sitting on top of her, she instantly clenched it shut after catching glimpse of quite similar but not exactly the face she wished to see. Tousled blonde hair, glazed green eyes, pouty lips, and tears-stained cheeks.

 

Elisa.

 

Her whole body goes rigid as her brain races through everything she had read, which is a lot but yet not enough. There are still books in the nightstand and links bookmarked in her phone she has not have the time to read, all children-related. She does not expect to suddenly be another parental figure in Elisa’s life, but it is also her very first time having a child involved in her romantic relationship, she does not want to mess it up for the little girl. She had told as much to Tiffany, whose assurance of it will only be another year before Elisa starts school and therefore stops being juggled between her parents does not really calm TaeYeon’s nerves.

 

“TaeYeon,” Tiffany calls, her voice darts from one end of the room to the other, “I know you’re awake.”

 

There is nothing but helplessness when TaeYeon cracks open her eyes and stares up at Tiffany. She is glad her girlfriend does not bend down to greet her with a kiss on the lips—yet another habit they started since she moved in—but then quickly frowns at Tiffany’s stern look. She is ready to leave for work, TaeYeon notices with panic raises inside her chest. Tiffany is supposed to be there with her when Elisa comes by, they are supposed to sit the girl and explain to her about TaeYeon living with her mama for an indefinite time.

 

Seeing the odd constipating expression on her lover causes a smile to form on Tiffany’s lips. “Something came up,” she informs with barely veiled annoyance, “Stephan dropped off Elisa earlier and I couldn’t get her usual sitter.” Her chocolate eyes turn pleading. “Can you watch her until lunch?”

 

TaeYeon wants to scream “no” then bolts out of the bed, but one glance at Elisa has her melted on the spot and nodded her consent. Tiffany rewards her with a peck on the cheek, doing the same to her three-year old before she leaves them with a string of “don’t”s. Don’t act petulant. Don’t eat candies. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Don’t take a step to the kitchen. (TaeYeon is sure the last one is for her instead of Elisa.) Then she is gone, silence reigns over the whole apartment once Tiffany closes the front door.

 

Elisa, surprisingly, is the one who breaks the ice. “Ta-e,” she calls with the short ‘e’ that has TaeYeon’s heart swells with fondness inside her chest, despite the tiny hand slapping on the slight lump under the cover that happens to be her .

 

“Yes, Elisa?”

 

TaeYeon dreads for the why are you here? or what are you doing in mama’s bed? questions, but Elisa only yawns widely before leaning forward to rest her whole body on top of her. TaeYeon instinctively reaches up to rub her back and sighs. She has avoided the bullets for now.

 

“Sleepy?”

 

She feels Elisa nod her head, blonde locks shuffle slightly. As much as she does not want to move, TaeYeon knows she can’t let the little girl sleep in such position. She can’t let her sleep in their bed either, knowing Tiffany will not approve it. With the last rub, she stills her hand to support Elisa’s back as she slowly rises to sit. Drowsy green orbs lock with her own onyx ones and she smiles softly. It is the closest physical contact she ever has with the toddler since they met each other a few months ago. It is not so frightening either. TaeYeon thinks Elisa is pretty much an angel as she tucks her in her big girl Hello Kitty themed bed.

 

The thought persists; at least until Elisa woke up with an ear-piercing wail, then everything went downhill from there. Stephan’s visit during lunch only made the barely-controlled things get worse; he said something that causes certain heat of embarrassment on TaeYeon’s cheeks refuses to leave for the rest of the day. By the time Tiffany comes home, with Chinese take-outs in hand, she dreads to find her beloveds in some sort of misfortune and a thoroughly wrecked apartment. She, however, fails to hide the surprise from spilling all over her face when she discovers TaeYeon and Elisa sitting on the couch, the little girl on the blonde’s lap, as Frozen plays on TV. So far, other than the questionable bucket of Play-Doh and what appears to be TaeYeon’s badges inside the shoe rack (what are those even doing there, Tiffany wonders), no damage can be seen. Bending down as she disposes the bag of food on the coffee table, Tiffany kisses TaeYeon then Elisa on the cheek again, in lieu of greetings.

 

“Hey,” TaeYeon replies, just as Elisa says, “Mama.”

 

Both of them have their eyes train firmly on the TV, not even glancing at Tiffany, whom rolls her eyes in annoyance. Sometimes she feels like she is having two, instead of one kid. “I brought food,” she calls as she makes her way to the bedroom, hoping for a change of clothes before dinner. When no reaction comes, she adds, “Can you please put them on plates, TaeYeon?”

 

There is more than enough hint of sternness in the words for TaeYeon to give an affirmative yelp and scrambles about the dinnerware, Elisa sticks close to her, offering commentaries. Tiffany is very pleased to enter the dining area to see Elisa sitting on her high-chair and TaeYeon by her side, teaching her how to hold the chopsticks correctly. She has expected the pilot to bail, but apparently everything works out in the end.

 

“How was your day, sweetie?” Tiffany asks as she takes her seat across the two. “I thought Stephan supposed to pick you up this noon?”

 

“Papi is busy,” Elisa supplies, then goes on babbling in a perfect mix of English, Spanish, and Korean.

 

It leaves TaeYeon’s head swim. She stares sheepishly at Tiffany after a question is being sent her way and Elisa’s face fills with expectation.

 

“Her appa—Miguel, promised to bring her to an ice cream parlor tomorrow. She asked if you’d like to come along.”

 

TaeYeon visibly blanches, before drawing a relief sigh. “I’d love to, but I have to work. Maybe next time?”

 

Grinning wickedly, Tiffany suggests, “Maybe next time we can bring gramps too.”

 

“Yesh!” Elisa squeals, clapping her hands. “And mommy!”

 

TaeYeon has her eyes wide, mind already rushing far ahead to find a way to escape, if not for Tiffany’s giggle distracting her. The blonde’s glare narrows when Elisa, clueless as she is, joins the merriness. She can only fake huffing and nudging—kicking Tiffany’s leg under the table, before letting out a laugh herself. The dinner continues in lighter atmosphere. They share stories and do the dishes together. Elisa is already tucked in and Tiffany is sipping wine on the couch as she watches the news when TaeYeon comes out in her uniform, ready to leave.

 

“Your badges are in the shoe rack,” Tiffany informs after she notices her girlfriend’s confused look. She abandons her glass on the coffee table and comes to TaeYeon’s aid, snatching the badges she has just retrieved from the rack and intends to put them on herself. “Do I need to know what they are doing in there?”

 

“Let’s just say Elisa wants to use them as mold...”

 

“We need to talk about boundaries with her.” Tiffany sighs apologetically when the pilot up a brow at her. “I know, I’m sorry. I’ll be there this time.” She smoothes the crisp white fabric on TaeYeon’s chest and tightens her dark blue tie. “Were everything alright today?”

 

TaeYeon, captivated by smell Tiffany’s perfume and her close proximity, can’t stop herself from giving her a chaste peck on the lips. “It was,” a sudden redness blooms on her otherwise pale cheeks, “Your brother is the one you should teach about boundaries,” she mumbles under her breath, before quickly adds in a more cherry tone, “I have to go, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Tiffany can only nod. She is going to call Stephan first time in the morning, she thinks as she watches TaeYeon dart out of the apartment with the ever-present blush.

 


 

It is 15.30 and Tiffany has been squinting over the radar for the last ten minutes. Any minute now, a new blink with HL8271 attached on it is going to show up. It is only five minutes past the normal arrival time for TaeYeon’s plane, she does not have any ill thought about it yet, but she is impatient. A grin unconsciously breaks on her lips when it finally shows up not a minute later. Her coworkers must have noticed her change of behavior lately, because she hears several sighs and notes some shaking their heads around her. She knows they do not really mind, though.

 

“Los Angeles Tower, Boeing Hotel Lima Eight Two Seven One, eight miles east north, inbound for landing with information Romeo,” comes TaeYeon’s now very familiar voice.

 

“Boeing Hotel Lima Eight Two Seven One, Los Angeles Tower, enter right downwind, runway two four, report entering right downwind,” the ATC replies in ease. TaeYeon must have detected the smile in her voice because she can hear the quiet breathy laugh on her reply.

 

“Hotel Lima Seven One will report right downwind, two four.” Then followed by, “Los Angeles Tower, Hotel Lima Seven One, right downwind, two four.”

 

Tiffany rechecks the radar before giving the next order, “Boeing Hotel Lima Seven One, cleared to land.”

 

“Cleared to land, Hotel Lima Seven One.”

 

The ATC waits with bated breath as the tiny dot makes its way to the designated runway and slows down to a stop. “Hotel Lima Seven One, turn right next taxiway, contact Ground, point six five, leaving the runway. TaeYeon?”

 

“Right turn, contact Ground, Hotel Lima Seven One.” The pilot is barely able to conceal her surprise. After all, Tiffany had never used the communicator to actually talk to her. It was her who always initiated it and they no longer used it since they have each other’s number. “Yeah?”

 

“Welcome home.”

 

TaeYeon smiles widely at the phrase; it is the first time Tiffany has ever said it to her even though she had moved in a week ago. Now with Elisa also waiting for her in their apartment, it does feel like a home. She gazes dreamily at the faraway North Tower, knowing Tiffany is somewhere in it, watching her.

 

“I’m home.”

 

 

The End


Thank you for all readers, commenters, upvoters, and subscribers.

Especially to:

My best friend -GIRLsGENERATION, whom Elisa is named after,

haruhiana, enshin, DeeJea, MunkeyZERO, byuntae16, aznphoenix95, Blade10, loveaddict, byunbyuneiy, fanythebest, kpoprambler, HolyCrab, tae4ever1, waddup, barney01, kim_duck, Lock49Loyal, dyyalya, RukaiT, justme59, stupidcat, miimms, TaenyLoveAFF, kpoppout, smca888, tinydee, bedofnails, yankerz08, moshi07, Phrase, UnknownSONE, Luminous_, KpopPenguin52, soshibangshipper, Aroundnine, keyyyme1631, kotenshi, smirk7, kem797, dede123, blursone, sesmaygalau, PoiuKickMe, swezins92, LostWithoutYou, mmmoimoi, nurulpn, salutdee, umopepisdn, SooNaTaeNy, Phelios, darkpluto1, taenyulsic26, PANICMOON, michelle_leung, joven777, walestm, krung24lyf, tiffluv, theKimchi, infinitysky, TaengooLocksmith, byuntaengislove, yoonju04, 12minutes, stephyhachirou, Churros, ddudungieddulli, amSONE, TaeNy2709, rachelmc06, themagsteiner, charito, cantshutup252, Immafanytastic, Tiffanyss, THEGOOSE, TriSzhaNey143, brontese, voltron8, faridarafar, brokenlee09, shane0688, Chrissangu, hasismyname, emoTionLessX0x0, Bubblegumpink, LoonPrincess, Anonymous_Blue, Kimchuckles, seeclarisse, jssc_YG, Unexpected03, shigatsu023, LightningHwang, joyheartsoshi, rambell, TheDividingTree, taetaeppanyah, CuteGinger, alemis, taebblet, khuntoria1013, kaylac, Bumbleby, strawberriboo, ErikaK309, AprilSkies_27, depi_taenggo9, Isuna2, joycedetera, lyanalex26, soshibell, TaeaeNyFany, mynameisA, JustForYou2014, Akahiro, vaughnweller, tsukiryuuu, Narus60, TicTacKiss, byuntaeng98, hwangfanny, summerlock, edao9874, kagurasaka, iAmDrSeuss, melbaSONE, SONE390, soshi_gee, notsogood, ryukia21, sweettaeny, Gekikara4kill, Twinjung88, Oderis, wahhdaebak, mjsanz25, chaeunhye, ctmgonzaga, staRTeR, sonyobsessr, RoyalFamily1, taengeum, soshima, Infinity9, kokosrs17, Monstar99, YulOnlyForSica, SpringWinteR, Observance, cialaziz, kukoko01, dorkytae9, cienfleur, pipugo, lovel09, Joy_beckz, melinsanchez, Idunwanna, kpopchicken009, smoothyhwang88, mostilla, Taeyoonfany, DKamii, TaeNy2007, corrupted126, saranghaekimyoobin, Lsmith27, tipco09, qiugui, Himechi21, Volkswaggen, ireonawa, sicamelons, imhyorin, Oranges, miharuie, lazchata17, cevaralex, taengsicstalker, taenyeveryday, PbtrDawn, full_moon, LaloqFaith.