Chapter 1

Please Smile Again… A Real Smile

“No matter what, live your life to the fullest” That’s what my mom said to me before she died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi I’m Sunha, but my friends call me Sun. My mom died when I was ten. Ever since then I haven’t been the same. I use to be upbeat, cheerful, and always smiling. But once she died I changed. Everyday my friends would ask if I’m ok and everyday I would answer yes. They know I’m not, but they also know that I won’t break.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking into school my four best friends Misun, Haeun, Gayun, and Jina were standing there by our lockers. I faked a smile and waved. Opening my locker to get my books when I heard screaming, I turned around to see a bunch of girls screaming. My friends and I rolled our eyes. MyName, the most popular guys at our school. One of them caught my attention, he had blue hair and brown eyes every time I see him he always had a straight face, but today he had a smile. He was talking to Chaejin about something. I think he noticed I was staring because he turned and looked at me. He smiled and waved. I waved back but didn’t smile. He turned and left. I turned back to my locker, grabbed my mathbook and shut it. I knew my friends were going to say something about JunQ waving at me 

“Don’t say anything,” I said putting my hand up.

“What just because one of the hottest guys waved at you means we are going to say something?” Haeun asked.

“Yea,” I nodded.

“Ok fine, are you two dating? Friends? Siblings?” Misun asked.

“No! You got all of that because of a wave?” I asked. They nodded.

“Why am I friends with you guys?” I questioned. ~Sigh~ I walked into our class.  I took my seat next to the window, Misun sat next to me, Haeun and Jina in front, and Gayun in back. Class dragged on, the teacher was talking about the exam and then did some math problems that were on the exam. Then rest of period we studied.

I started going over some math problems when a note hit my head.  I looked up to see who threw it. Jina smiled and waved. I chuckled and opened the note

It said:

So 순 do you like 준 Q? I looked back up at Jina and gave her a “WTF” look. I wrote “No!” and threw back at her. After a few more classes it was lunch, My friends and I got our lunches and sat under a tree.

“Hey did you hear, JunQ and his girlfriend broke up,” I heard a fangirl say. I rolled my eyes and put in my headphones. I couldn’t hear anything until Haeun pulled out my headphones.

“So since JunQ is single now, are you going to ask him out?” Haeun asked.

“For the last time I don’t like him!” I exclaimed.

“Sureeeee,” They all said. ~Sigh~ I got up to throw my food away. When I got there I saw Seyong and Insoo standing there talking. I threw my food away and put my tray away. I started walking until I heard my name being called. I turned around to see my dad standing there. He looked like a mess. I walked over to him

“Appa what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I woke up and didn’t see your mother. I called her phone but she didn’t pick up. So I thought you might know where she is,” He said.

“Appa…… Omma is died,” I said

“Ehhh don’t lie. I just saw her yesterday,” He said. I balled my hands into a fist.

“Appa please go home. I need to get to class,” I pleaded.

“Ok,” He nodded. He started walking to his car. I could feel Insoo and Seyong’s stares on me. I ignored them and walked away.

English was my next class. I sat down in my seat. None of my friends had this class with me. JunQ took his seat in front of me. Students started piling in and soon class started. I just wrote down whatever the teacher put on the board. Soon she let the class study for the exams. She called JunQ up to her desk. Shortly after she called me up. I walked over to her desk while JunQ went back to his.

“네, 선생님,” I asked.

“I want you to tutor Junkyu. He is failing this class and if he doesn’t past then he has to repeat a year,” The teacher explained. I wanted to argue, but I looked like she didn’t want to.

“네,” I said. I walked back to my desk and sat down. A few minutes later the bell rang and everybody got up to go home. While I was packing up I heard JunQ call me.

“You’re Sunha right?” He asked. I nodded. “Cool, umm are you free tonight to tutor me?” I nodded again.

“Yea,” I answered.

“Cool,” He smiled and left. I went to my locker, put my book and started walking home. I saw JunQ running towards me

“So are we going to your house?”

“Yep,”

We started walking, once they got there I saw her dad on the phone

“Sunha has your mother called you?” He asked.

“Ani……. Appa you should get some rest you look tired,” Sunha forced a smile

“Ok, who’s this?” He asked looking up at JunQ

“Ahh umm chingu I’m tutoring. JunQ this is my dad. Dad this is JunQ,” I said.

“안녕하세요,” JunQ bowed.

“안녕,” He said.

“JunQ why don’t you head to my room,” I forced another smile.

“Ok where is it?” He asked.

“Down the hall at the end, first door on the left,” I said. He nodded and left. I put my dad on the couch, covered him with a blanket and the T.V.

I went to my room to see JunQ reading out book well struggling to read out of it. I sat next to him.

“Having a hard time?” I asked.

“Yeah,” He said not looking up.

I smiled a bit.

“Here let me help,” I said still smiling.

“So umm is everything fine?” He asked.

“Yea why?” I asked.

“Well…… when your dad mention your mom you tensed up,” He said.

“Yea, its fine just family stuff,” I said my smile disappearing.

“Ok,” He said. We went back to tutoring, going over the basics, then the rest. After a few hours he had to go home. We walked out of my room to see my dad on the phone

“Hello?” He kept on saying over and over.

“Appa……. I told you to go to bed,” I said.

“Yea, but I was getting worried, your mother is always home at this time,” He said.

“It’s ok. Omma is probably working late again,” I assured him. He nodded and went back to couch and laid down. JunQ left and my dad was finally asleep. I went back to my room, put all my stuff away. Laid in my bed until 7. Then my phone started ringing. I checked it. It was Gayun. I declined it, turned off my phone and by 8:00 I was asleep.