Chapter 3

Beauty in All Shades of Black

  Li xu struggled and she continued running. She went inside something that looked like a door and she felt her surroundings. She crouched at one corner, hoping that whatever it is that’s in front of her can hide her from the man she was running from.

 

                Kui xian was busy attempting at his tenth jar when he heard something move. He was totally oblivious to what’s happening outside the warehouse.  He tried to check the movement and he was shocked to see a sobbing Li xu, hiding behind one of the wooden shelves. He was about to run for the girl but a burly man suddenly entered the warehouse obviously looking for Li xu.

 

                “Pretty baby…I know you’re here! Where are you….” The man looked around the area.

 

                Kui xian crawled quietly to hide in one of the shelves behind then man. He grabbed a medium sized jar and he stood up crashing the jar in the man’s head. Li xu heard the man scream and she heard people thrashing around. She put her hands to cover her ears, still scared to death that she didn’t know what’s happening around her.

 

                Kui xian managed to knock the man out, crashing a couple of more jars in his head. He moved towards the shuddering girl, enveloping her in his arms.

 

                “Go away! Go away from me!” Li xu struggled around, thrashing her body and hitting Kui xian’s arms.

 

                “Shhhh….shhh…It’s me..” Kui xian cooed trying to pacify the girl.

 

                “Your voice is familiar…” Li xu tried to stifle her sobs.

 

                “It’s Kui xian, can you still remember me?”

 

                “KUI XIAN!!!” Li xu hugged the boy tightly much to the latter’s surprise. But who was he to complain? She just let the girl cry more in his arms.

 

                “Thank you! Thank you Kui xian” Li xu was crying, relieved that someone she knew was here to help her.

 

                “I was so scared. I was with Sheng min and Xi che but the bandits attacked and I lost them and I didn’t know what to do...”

 

                “Shhh…shh…don’t worry..I’m here now.I’ll help you okay?” Kui xian tightened his arms to protect the girl.

 

                “You have to keep quiet alright? Some of the bandits might still be around.” Li xu nodded quietly.

 

----------------

 

                They went out of the warehouse two hours later.  Kui xian made sure that the bandits were already gone. He held Li xu’s hand to lead her out and they were shocked to see that the whole marketplace was a mess. Stalls were upturned and merchandise was all over the place.

 

                “These people are very cruel…” Kui xian looked around.

 

                “I’m worried about Sheng min and  Xi che” Li xu sighed.

 

                “They are the ones that should be worried about you!” Kui xian muttered and Li xu’s hands tightened around his. Her hands are so soft they almost felt like feather pillows.

 

                “Where do you live?”

 

                “There’s a manor where we live beside the massage house. All of us lived there.”  Li xu explained.

 

                “So that would be an hour’s horse ride…”

 

                “Do you have a horse?” Li xu asked Kui xian.

 

                “I don’t have one…I’m sorry but I think we just have to walk.” Kui xian can just die from embarrassment. How he wish he was rich enough to have a carriage so Li xu wouldn’t have to walk.

 

-------------

 

                “How can you leave her alone?!!!!! I entrusted her to you but what did you do?!!!! YOU LEFT HER!!!!” Madame Li te was furious at Sheng Min and Heechul who were now kneeling in front of her.

 

                “Shi yuan! Get the carriage ready, we will look for her in town!” The woman ordered.

 

------------

 

                “Li xu…are you okay? You are very quiet…”  Kui xian broke the silence as they were walking side by side on the dirt road.

 

                “I’m okay…I’m just tired…” Li xu said quietly.

 

                “We can rest if you want…here…let’s stop here.” Kui xian stopped by the road side and he wiped the flat stone with his own clothing. He helped Li xu sit on it.

 

                “Are you comfortable?”

 

                Li xu nodded and she smiled.

 

                “Kui xian…you are always very kind. How can I ever thank you?”  Li xu smiled wider at the boy who was still fixated at her.

 

                “You’re smile is more than enough…”

 

                “My smile?”

 

                Kui xian was shocked when he realized he said that one out loud. He felt heat creep up his ears.

 

                “Uhmmm…yes…it’s beautiful.”

 

                “Me? I’m beautiful? Really? I don’t even know how beautiful looks like…I don’t even know how I look like…” Li xu said in disbelief.

 

                “You are very beautiful…you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.” Kui xian realized it must be very sad to not even know how your own face looked like.

 

                “You’re making me blush Kui xian…I think that’s too much. “ Li xu tried to hide her blushing face.

 

                “I’m saying nothing but the truth…” Kui xian smiled at the blushing girl.

 

                “How do my face look like?” Li xu asked Kui xian innocently. No one ever really described her face to her.

 

                “Your eyes are always shining, they look like stars. You nose is small and it’s perfect. Your lips are red as rose petals and they looked as delicate too…You’re really beautiful…believe me..” Kui xian looked at her lovingly. If only she can see that his own eyes were filled with much adoration.

 

                “How about you Kui xian? How do you look like?”

 

                “I’m ugly…”

 

                “You are? Sheng min told me so…but I don’t believe her! Is that true?”

 

                “She said what? ….that witch!”  Kui xian was about to diss Sheng min but he felt Li xu’s small fingers touching his face.

 

                “Can I feel your face…I hope this is okay…I always do this with new acquaintances…It helps me remember them. “ Li xu moved closer to the boy.

 

                “S—s—sure…” Kui xian tried to relax himself by closing his eyes as Li xu traced his eyebrows, his eyelashes and his nose with the tips of her fingers. He can hear the night crickets in the background, as if their lulling him to sleep. He can stay this way forever, being touched by Li xu if he’s given the choice. He let her palms feel his cheeks and she accidentally touched his lips with two of her fingers but then she pulled away like she was burned much to Kui xian’s disappointment. He was anticipating that moment much.

 

                “Oh! I’m sorry that’s  your lips already! I’m really sorry.” Li xu laughed and it was the first time Kui xian heard it. It was addicting as everything about her.

 

                “I didn’t feel pebbles…”

 

                “Pebbles?” Kui xian asked.

 

                “Sheng min said your face are full of pebbles…” Li xu looked at the space in front of her.

 

                “Sheesh that witch’s sabotaging me…I think I’ll strangle her neck if she’s not a girl!”  Kui xian cursed inside but she just gave a small laugh.

 

                “I knew it…I knew it! She’s lying. I think you’re very handsome Kui xian and you’re very kind-hearted too!  I want to marry someone like you!” Li xu blurted out and the last statement surprised Kui xian more than anything else.

 

                “Oh!!! I do want to marry you too!!!”  He wanted to hug the girl with all the happiness he was feeling but then he realized that would be inappropriate. She might be joking and she did said someone like you but not “you” per se.

 

                “Why are you so quiet? Did I say something wrong? Did I offend you?” Li xu inquired.

 

                “Nothing…hehehe..I think we should get going. It’s already dark…” Kui xian helped her go down the stone and they continued the walk.

 

-----------

 

                Kui xian noticed that Li xu was walking in a slightly slower pace than earlier. He looked at her and he observed she was already limping after 2 hours of walking.

 

                “Does  your feet hurt?”

 

                “No….I’m okay. We should get going. They must be really worried by now…” Li xu continued to limp as she moved forward.

 

                Kui xian grabbed her arm gently to stop her from walking.

 

                “Let me check your feet. Will you allow me to see your feet?” Kui xian knew that seeing a woman’s feet was like seeing everything, but he has to check. He never saw a bound foot before.

 

                Li Xu nodded because the pain was really unbearable. Kui xian found a tree stump comfortable enough for the girl to sit on.

 

                He removed his shoes carefully. He was shocked to see that her foot was totally free from all the bandages he expected to see.

 

                “You’re feet are not bound…I see. “

 

                “Madam Li Te said they’re small enough and that it would be too hard for a blind girl to walk on bound feet.”

 

 

 

                “I agree…I’m happy they realized that.” Kui xian touched her feet and Li xu jumped a bit. She felt tiny sparks in her toes. It was the first time a man touched her feet.

 

                “Are you okay? Your feet have a lot of blisters now. We should stop walking or the pain will be unbearable.”

 

                “No! NO! We can’t stop. Madame Li Te will be worried!” We should walk! Let’s go Kui xian…please…let’s get going.” Kui xian sighed.

 

                “Then I have to carry you then. Come…let’s go.” Kui xian crouched on the ground and he held Li xu’s hand…leading her to ride on her back.

 

                “Kui xian…you don’t have to do this…” She felt his hands positioning her arms around his neck.

 

                “I’m sorry but is it okay if I touch you?”  Kui xian asked for permission as he was about to stand up. He has to grab her thighs so she won’t fall.

 

                “It’s okay…thank you Kui xian..” Li xu rested comfortably in his back as Kui xian wrapped her thighs around his waist. He made their positions comfortable then he started walking.

 

                “Are you okay Li xu?”

 

                “Yes…are you okay? I’m too heavy…I’m so sorry…” Li xu apologized.

 

                “You’re so lightweight you don’t have to worry.” Kui xian tried to not stiffen at Li xu’s  arms touching his neck and her legs on his waist. He tried hard to not think of worldly thoughts as he walked.

 

                “Kui xian….”

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “Why do you think…you always end up being around when I’m in trouble?”

 

                “I might be your prince….”

 

                “But…I’m no princess…” Li xu giggled a bit.

 

                “Then…maybe it’s just meant to be…” Kui xian can’t believe his luck. Last week he was just all dazed thinking about her all day and all night and now she’s here, so close to him and him holding her like this. He believed everything must be fate and this girl behind his back was truly his destiny. 

 

TBC