final

Fading Away

Their performance is in two hours time but Byun Baekhyun's cough is still not dying out. 

"Baekhyun-ah, just let the backup dancers take over please? You can still sit on stage if you want but you can't dance.." Kyungsoo worriedly patted the latter's back. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and moved away from his bestfriend's arm. "I am fine, why won't you two believe me!" he let out his frustrations and pushed past the two members standing by him. Chanyeol sighed as wrinkles appeared on his forehead. He didn't want his stubborn friend to put himself in danger. He messed up his hair in anger and raced for the latter.

"Byun Baekhyun!"

The other didn't stopped and continue avoiding him. Chanyeol had enough, as he ran and grabbed the boy's arm. "Ouch! What are you doing?!" Baekhyun squirmed and tried to free himself. The taller guy let out his breath shakily as he loosen the grip and pulled the other into a hug. "Please, I can't afford to see anything happening to you.." Chanyeol carressed the latter's hair but only to be pushed away. "I thought you've always trusted me.." Baekhyun starred daggers at him as he walked away. Suho looked from afar, worried, yes, but he knew it's impossible to talk the diva out of it since he is determined to perform.

 

Soon after, it was time to get on stage. All of the members kept looking out for Baekhyun. They've already discuss that whoever is the closest to Baekhyun's positioning must look out for him no matter what. And surprisingly, Baekhyun is doing well. Chanyeol felt relieved, and he tried to perform better rather than just putting on a worried face every now and then. This was the last song in line, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were happily jumping around to the beat of 365, before Kyungsoo let him go and went to attack Jongin with his bottled of water. Baekhyun was relieved that it was almost over. He coughed too hard during break time, but nobody saw it since he hid himself in the restroom. Due to that, he had developed a horrible headache ever since part 2 of the performance. He smiled and cheer himself up so he could end this happily with a bright smile. He couldn't bear to make the fans worry. 

Baekhyun saw Chanyeol upfront, and he wanted to make up for his rudeness back then. As he happily skipped his way to his close friend, the sudden headache attacked him again, causing his vision to blur out. The next thing the fans saw was everyone's nightmare. Baekhyun's head spinned so hard that he lost balance and fell off stage. The fans' scream was what attracted Chanyeol's attention as he turned to find out what happened. Suho saw what happened, as he shouted out Baekhyun's name repeatedly. Except Jongin, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, the rest of the members immediately rushed to the corner only to find the latter unconscious. Chanyeol had collasped on the floor as tears flowed out uncontrollably. Jongin was trying his best to comfort Kyungsoo, who was burrying himself in the warmth of Jongin's hug.

Soon after, Byun Baekhyun was rushed to the hospital.

 


 

It took him exactly 20 hours to finally stir awake.

Suho immediately called for the nurses as the rest crowded around the patient. "Ah, my head.." Baekhyun felt the horrible pounding, as his eyes grew watery. Quickly the nurse laid him back down and gave him a temporary pain relief shot. Kyungsoo was still shaking ever since the incident. Chanyeol barely even smiled. 

"Baekhyun-ah.. How are you feeling?" Suho asked the boy politely as Chen held his right hand. Baekhyun only smiled and shook his head lightly. "Don't worry hyung, fearless Baekhyun never dies," he chuckled and scanned the room to find his bestfriend missing. 

Jongin got up and stepped out the room, startled but the sudden figure. "Kyungsoo-yah, please be strong?" he squat down beside the latter. Kyungsoo kept his head buried in his knees, crying silently. The blonde boy just sighed and placed an arm around the older.

Minutes after, the doctors came in to give his report, Turns out Baekhyun seemed normal, and he is allowed to be discharged soon. "Shockingly, he is a strong guy. For now, we found nothing wrong with him, but do not forget to keep track if anything weird happens.." the doctor smiled and left the boys to have some alone time. Along the way, he found the two members that were outside the whole time. "He's fine," the doctor gestured them to go back in the room.

They patiently waited for the day to pass, so they could pick him up the next morning.

 


 

"Please don't scare us like that anymore hyung!" Tao faked a pout an hugged the member who've just returned. 

Suho and Kris immediately went to help Baekhyun with his belongings when suddenly a sharp groan was heard throughout the dorm.

"M-My head.. it's pounding a-again," Baekhyun tugged his hair in frustration. Suho calmly remove his hands away before the latter actually pulled out his hair. Lay came rushing and gave a helpful massage to him. "Thank you.." Baekhyun whispered and could barely smile as the headache drains his energy everytime.

That night, they had their usual "family time" during dinner.

"Baekhyun-ah, you remembered right? The doctor said that since you knocked on your head, you will continue to feel terrible headaches, so bear with it okay? We are all here with you.." Luhan spoke. Everyone waited for Baekhyun's response but he was just dazing away. Sehun waved his hand infront of the latter. "Hyung?" he said as Baekhyun was startled and slapped the hand away, which earned laughters throughout the living room. But Chanyeol was just sitting there, worrying about his friend.

"What if he's not alright?" he wondered as he tried to push the thoughts away by stuffing more food in his mouth.

"Are you that hungry Chanhyun?" Baekhyun strangely watched the other eat. The members stared at Baekhyun instead, wondering who he is referring to. 

"Since when do we have Chanhyun in EXO?" Tao laughed as Baekhyun felt embarrassed. 

"I meant Chan HYUNG.. since he is way taller, so he looked like a hyung you know? And that's why I-" Baekhyun tried to put up an excuse but was stopped by Chen. 

"It's okay! It's okay! We know how silly you are Baek," Chen chuckled.

"Okay something's not right.." Chanyeol silently whispered to himself.

 


 

Baekhyun was having a hard time with practice today. Somehow he keeps messing the dance and positionings.

"Baek-ah you know it's not a must for you to practice yet.. You need more rest in order to recover fully," Xiumin reminded the boy as he patted his back comfortly. The latter sighed and dragged himself aside, slumping down on the black sofa by the corner of the room. 

The rest of them sighed. They couldn't bear doing things this way but they didn't wanna risk anything.

20 minutes later, Baekhyun had fallen asleep on the sofa as the rest continued on with the day's practice. Chanyeol removed his jacket and lay it carefully on Baekhyun, as he the latter's head. Chanyeol can't help but sigh as he continued to join the rest. 

 

"No I'm not gonna repeat what I say. You were the one who didn't listen to me, so why should I repeat for you? Now do whatever you want, I've had enough!"

Baekhyun sprang up as he breathed heavily. Sehun noticed, and straightaway called for Suho. The leader went to find out what has happened.

"I don't know why, must be a nightmare.. Me and Chanyeol were arguing and stuffs, it felt horrible.." Baekhyun was close to tears as Suho pulled him into a warm hug. "But that really happened, like 3 months back" Suho reminded the boy, as Baekhyun gasped. "But why the sudden nightmare?" he wondered as he rested his head on the leader's shoulder.

"I don't think you are completely fine yet Baekhyun-ah. Are you stressed up? The other time you forgot your lyrics during the radio braodcast, today you couldn't concentrate on the dance. I think you really need more rest," Suho pulled away and worriedly stared into the latter's eyes. "Promise me you will get better alright?" he said as he got up and pulled Baekhyun along with him.

"Now let's go home."

 


 

"Yah Byun Baekhyun! Do you really love us that much? You've been watching our performaces the whole day!" Kyungsoo jokingly teased as he shakes his head. Baekhyun just laughed and nodded, when actually he kept repeating and repeating so that he wouldn't forget the routine of their dance. 

"Oh kyungsoo! Have you seen my cellphone?" Baekhyun suddenly remembered and asked.

The other just laughed and held up the item in his hand. "Yeah was gonna return it to you. Can you please stop leaving your things around? Since when did you get so forgetful?" Kyungsoo chuckled and went to sit beside his bestfriend.

Chanyeol worriedly shook his head as he continued browsing the internet. Kyungsoo's words kept replaying in his thoughts. "Exactly Baekhyun.. When did you became so forgetful?" he silently whispered to himself as he clicked on a link.

He has been too worried that he began to look up on the internet for after effects of a concussion. And shockingly enough, his close friend has been slowly displaying the symptoms. "Please let him be okay.." Chanyeol sighed and went to his room.

Baekhyun silently observed the tall guy, wondering why he looked so bothered ever since the incident. He wanted to approach him but somehow he felt uncomfortable. The other day, Kris did ask him why him and Chanyeol weren't that close anymore. 

"Were we that close?" he poundered on that thought before returning his attention on the TV.

"Guys! Get ready, we will leave in an hour's time. Let's do well for today's practice okay? Oh and baekhyun, just inform us if you don't feel well okay?" Suho reminded everyone before he himself went to get ready. Baekhyun was nervous, but he tried his best to remember the choreography.

-

Everyone clapped just as the song ended. This time, Baekhyun managed to run through it with little mistakes. Definitely better than that other day.

"Good job!" Kyungsoo beamed a smile as he hugged the other. Baekhyun himself was feeling proud, since he felt bad for messing up on previous practices. Chanyeol smiled and grabbed a bottled water for him. "Feels good?" he asked as he wrapped an arm around his friend. 

Baekhyun felt a certain static, a familiar security. He blushed as he nodded shyly. The taller one chuckled as he stopped infront of Baekhyun. "I missed you" was the words that fluttered Baekhyun's heart. He didn't knew why but he remembered Kris's words. "Maybe we were really that close.." he silently thought to himself before hugging the taller, feeling comfortable within his warmth.

"This is the first time ever since he was discharged"

"Like finally!"

The rest of the members murmured among each other, while Kyungsoo fangirled, causing Jongin to playfully rolled his eyes. "Kyungsoo maintain please," he teased the older, only to earn himself a smack. And as usual, Tao saw and laughed like there's no tomorrow. 

-

The ended their break and quickly getting into position. Halfway through their last song, Baekhyun's vision suddenly blurred out, followed by none other than his horrible headache attacks.

"Hyung.. Hyung!" he screamed in agony before collasping on the floor.

Chanyeol was the first to rush to him. "Someone call the doctor!" he shouted as he pulled the latter onto his laps, lightly shaking him. Kyungsoo was totally shocked as he didn't foresee this at all. Baekhyun had already improved.. He seem fine to everyone, but who knows what's between the lines, the things they didn't realise, the reality that Baekhyun wasn't actually recovering.

Soon, he was rushed to the hospital. Again.

 


 

Exactly the same 20 hours later, Byun Baekhyun woke up.

But this time, he felt strange. He felt insecure. "How many friends did Joonmyun hyung brought?" his thoughts running as he raised an eyebrow.

"Ah! EXO.."

And a strange electricity shot through him as the thought pop up. "..did I disturbed them? Why are they wasting their time here?". Baekhyun slowly sat up and stare deeply towards Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. "Joonmyun hyung.. aren't you gonna introduce your new friends?" Baekhyun's words shocked the leader. Baekhyun rarely called him by his real name. All the other members gave weird looks at each other. 

"And who are you referring to Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo broke the silence and slowly walked towards the bed. 

"You"

A simple word broke Kyungsoo's heart as he suddenly stopped in his tracks. "M-Me..?" he tried to control his tears, as he let out a shaky breath.

"Suho hyung.. S-Suho h-hyung.. what's happening-" he mumbled as he turned and rushed out of the room as Jongin chased after the older.

"Ah, you must be Suho?" Baekhyun directed his attention towards Chanyeol. "Baekhyun, what's wrong with you? I am Suho.." Suho patted his chest a repeatedly.

"You got a new nickname?" 

-

"Did anything happened before he out?" Mr Park, the doctor, asked them.

Everyone shook their head. "We were practicing just fine-" Kris explained before Mr Park interrupted. 

"Let me make my question clearer.. I meant before he fell off stage"

"I fell off the stage?" Baekhyun sat up, startled.

Most of them are closer to tears by now. They knew something is really wrong here. The doctor just sighed and asked the question once again as everyone began to think hard.

"Oh! He had a little tiff with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. They were trying to stop him from dancing since he was really sick.. Why Mr Park? What happened.." Suho took in a deep breath, expecting the worse. Mr Park then told them to stay calm as he talk.

"Okay, it's confirmed that now Baekhyun will remember Chanyeol and Kyungsoo the least. But that's if you were lucky. Seeing that he completely don't know who you two are shows that there is a possibility that he won't recall any memories of the both of you.." and by this time, Chanyeol was silently breaking down hard. "And it is due to how he had felt before the incident happened. He must've been upset at that point of moment. Therefore when he had the concussion, the last few things that stressed him out will be forgotten." 

Chanyeol couldn't believe what he had just heard. The tears won't stop flowing. And somehow, Baekhyun felt sorry for the taller. But how can he help when he himself is terribly confused with the situation?

"He will only have the remaining memories left. We aren't sure.. it could be from his teenage years or younger, probably.." My Park silence the room with disappointment.

And so no one spoke a word. A room filled with only sobs and sniffings.

 


 

When the hospital scandal had finally died down, EXO went on an official hiatus.

Kyungsoo is still depressed, he still didn't ate a single meal. While on the other hand, Chanyeol tried to stay positive. He's been trying his best to get close to Baekhyun but the latter felt too insecure as he doesn't recognise that member at all. Suho kept repeating their songs in hopes that it might tigger something but, up till now, he is still the Byun Baekhyun that has woken up in the hospital the other week. The same Baekhyun that has lost his memory. No longer the old chatterbox diva.

"Let me try something.." Jongin told the members. They crowded around in the living room, trying to help the poor boy.

Within a few seconds cue, Jongin starts dancing. He and chanyeol had stayed up all night making a medley of their track titles just so he could show Baekhyun every single choreography. Around 5 minutes later, there he was panting hard, and of course.. Still hoping that it might help. 

Suddenly, Baekhyun smiled.

Everyone in the room gave each other hopeful looks, waiting in anticipation. Could miracle have been on their side today?

"Jongin-ah, why are you showing off? We all know that you are the best dancer among the trainees!" Baekhyun chuckled and playfully shook his head. 

The dancer was trying hard to not let the tear slip. This was too hard. Time is passing by, luck's running out. 

"Kkaepsong!" Lay suddenly burst out. 

Suho smiled thinking that maybe this could be it!

"Wow Lay-ssi, I didn't knew you were good in word playing!" Baekhyun clapped in excitement as everyone let out the breath they've held unknowingly.

Just then Sehun and Kris exchange glances.

"Yehet!"

"Oongya oongya.."

"Ohorat!"

"Chicken is not my style"

Baekhyun laughed hard, holding onto to his tummy. "Yah! Why are you guys torturing me?" he chuckled as he wiped away the slight tear. Jongdae then sprang up and does the famous Rapper-Byun, causing Baekhyun to laugh til he is out of breath.

"Enough you guys, oh my god.." he was laughing hard, when suddenly, the horrible headache attacks him."Ow!" he screamd as he accidently dropped down on his knees, pressing hard on his temple.

"That's enough for today boys.. We tried," Suho said without much strength as he guided the poor boy to his room.

Chanyeol sighed as he himself went ahead to his room.

 


 

"Now who wants to watch the best show ever?" Tao exclaimed excitedly as he gave a smirk to the rest of the members. 

Baekhyun was confused, but said yes anyway.

And so they all squeezed in the living room, watching..

"1..2..3.. EXO SHOWTIME!"

"Wow how am I in the show? When was this? Did we trainees had a special program or something?" Baekhyun excitedly bounced on the sofa.

Suho sighed. He couldn't bear to lose the smile Baekhyun had on his face, and so he just nodded.

They watched episodes by episodes, and halfway through, Baekhyun had fallen asleep. So they stopped the show and gathered by the dining table.

"How else are we gonna help him? This is bad.." Xiumin confessed, earning nods from the rest.

-

"Baekhyun-ah! Stop teasing me!" the guy playfully pouted before chasing him. Baekhyun giggled as he was being tackled by the other. Together they were having so much fun until he felt a sudden pain again.

"Ah.. My head," he winced. But this time, the pain didn't last long. Seconds after, images flashed through his mind. He had dreamed of that boy, the boy he couldn't remember, the boy he couldn't recognise at all. 

He thought long and hard before the name pop out in his mind. "Kyung... Kyung ju?" he tilted his head, feeling weird as the words leave his mouth. Nonetheless, he's going to try. 

"Kyung Ju-yah!" he called. He wanted to give it a go, to try and live how the other hyungs described them as. 

Bestfriends.

"Kyung Ju! My head is hurting help!" Baekhyun tried again.

And for the first time, Kyungsoo actually stepped out of his room willingly. Seconds after, a head popped out by the living room, a boy hiding behind the corner. 

"Byun Baekhyun. My name is Do-Kyung-Soo. Not Kyung Ju!" he chuckled and went to sit by the latter.

Baekhyun smiled and kept repeating the name over and over, trying to implant the knowlege in his memory. 

"Kyungsoo, how are we in the past? I-I mean like, before this 'accident' happened?" Baekhyun was flustered. He didn't knew how to 'reconcile'.

The latter just smiled and took out his phone, went to the gallery and showed him.

"Wow, you have a separate folder just of us?" Baekhyun was surprised. He didn't knew he was that important.

"Baekhyun-ah, you are my bestfriend. Plus it'll be messy and hard to find other stuffs when our faces keep popping up while im scrolling for other things," Kyungsoo playfully rolled his eyes, but returned to being excited as he showed Baekhyun the photos and videos.

About half an hour later, Kyungsoo had fallen asleep on Baekhyun's shoulder, due to lack of sleep and nutrients, he is very weak.

On the other hand, Baekhyun was still watching videos of them. "We were so cute, and so.." he shut his eyes tight to stop the tears from forming.

"..close"

Baekhyun sighed loudly. He was frustrated. He was angry, that he couldn't even remember those precious memories and moments. Suddenly, he began to break down, awakening Kyungsoo with his sobbings. 

"What happened?" Kyungsoo looked up from where he is resting his head on. Baekhyun just wiped the tears away and gave a smile in response.

"I'm sorry.."

Kyungsoo stared at the latter in confusion. 

"for not remembering,"

-

After dinner, Baekhyun was surprisingly playing well with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

The rest couldn't help but smile. "Let's just let them have their own time," Luhan winked as he helped Chen clear the dishes.

And so the night was well spent. 

Everyone was happy.

But will this happiness last forever?

 


 

It was sleeping time. Baekhyun had requested for him to be in the same room as Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. He wanted to try and create memories again. When he asked the other members, they all said the same thing.

"Basically, Park Chanyeol, the tall giant, he is your soulmate. You were the closes to him. And it's different from Kyungsoo. Do Kyung Soo, he is your bestest friend ever. You could never be away from him. You two are like real brothers.."

And again that night. He couldn't sleep as peacefully as he thought he could. Nightmares, second after seconds. This time, the headache was horrible. He felt as if it was pounding him to death. His dreams, were forever in blur. That's the main thing that always frustrates him. And this time, he couldn't hold it back any longer. He cried out loud as he attempted to pulled out his hair in anger, plus the pain had build up and it is hurting him.

Chanyeol startled awake and was finding the source of the noise when he saw Baekhyun being in a complete disaster.

"Baekhyun! Byun Baekhyun!" he shook the latter's by the shoulder before pulling him into a tight hug.

"It's okay.. it's okay. I'm here,"

Chanyeol tried his best to soothe the boy, calming him down with sweet whispers and his warmth. Luckily Jongin had asked Kyungsoo to take a sleeping pill, he wouldn't want to him to have any more lack of sleep.

Baekhyun kept crying. He was confused yet he felt a certain sense of security. He felt a familiar feeling. But as usual, he wouldn't find out anything, no matter how hard he tried to think, the thought just won't appear.

Chanyeol just kept on comforting the boy, as he himself get all teary eyed. Slowly, Baekhyun started breathing normally, and turns out he had fallen asleep.

"You cried too much Baekhyunnie.." Chanyeol slightly smile as he slowly lay the boy and himself down on the bed and went to sleep.

Suho stood outside their room, crying silently at the scene. He really felt bad. 

Just then he was suddenly hugged from the back.

"Are you okay?" Lay asked as he loose the hug and turned the leader around.

"I really don't know what to do. I as a leader, and allowing all of this to happen.. What kind of leader am I?" he spit out the words in disgust as he dragged himself to the living room.

"Suho-hyung. Please don't be negative. Things were bound to happen. Stop blaming yourself. We will all get through this together."

Lay held onto the leader's hand, lightly rubbing circles with his thumb.

"Together" he repeated.

 


 

It has been close to 3 months, and Baekhyun's memory had deteriorated badly.

Now he barely even recognise most of the members except for Suho, which is referred to him as Joonmyun and not his stage name, Kris, Luhan and Chen. Since Jongin, Lay, Sehun and Xiumin would always be practicing dance back then, Tao with his martial arts choreography, and also the matter regarding Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, Baekhyun barely remembers them. Especially the last two.

It has become a routine to introduce themselves everyday when Baekhyun wakes up. Even so, everytime he went to sleep, he would completely forget everything that happened during the day, even the names and what he ate. 

Even though Chanyeol and managed to make him remember his name, the next day Baekhyun would just get paranoid again and freak out at the 'strangers' in the house.

No matter how tired they are, they never fail to try again and again, in hopes of a miracle.

-

Soon after, November passed, and they've entered December.

They were once again, introducing themselves one by one.

"Good morning. Now Baekhyun, I want you to try and remember to call me Suho,"

"Galaxy hyung, Kris"

"Baozi face, Xiumin!"

"Deer Luhan!"

"Sleepy Lay"

"Dinosaur camel, Chen!"

"Panda Tao!"

"Jazz Ballet Kai"

"Maknae Sehun"

The remaining two looked at each other and sighed, as they weakly smiled.

"Your soulmate, god-fairy Yoda. Park, Chanyeol"

Kyungsoo hesistated before stepping up front, taking in a deep breath. Without even introducing, he started to sing;

"겁이 나 강하지 못한 나 (I'm afraid, I'm afraid for my weakness)
너 없인 무엇도 아닌 나 (I'm afraid for me, who is nothing without you)
이 맘속에 너 하나만 안고 알고 살아온 날 (You know that I only embrace and know you in my heart)"

Baekhyun suddenly stood up and stared at him.

"D.O-ssi?"

Everyone's eyes widens as they exchanged hopefully looks. Just like 3 months back.

"Do you remember me? Byun Baekhyun," Kyungsoo replied as he took a step forward towards his bestfriend.

"Oh.. sorry. It's just that, I've been getting the same dream of someone named D.O, singing that same song, same voice, same lines.." he felt guilty as he looked at the floor, playing with his fingers.

Kyungsoo shook his head and smiled as tears starts to stream down, before pulling the other into a hug.

"It's okay Baekhyun, it's okay. One day you will remember.."

 

- END -

 


 

a/n Hi guys! Finally it's completed! I have yet to double check it! Do comment down okay? I'll be waiting to see what all of you think about this story! Do upvote, subscibe, and share! Saranghae! :3