Chapter 3

0330 (version 2)

          Hyeon Ju groaned as she felt another paper ball whack her head. It was the third one and Dong Ho was obviously glad to disturb his best friend and see her suffer. He ripped off one more piece of paper from his exercise book and crumpled it up, ready to throw towards his target again when Hyeon Ju turned and glared at him.

“ Do you wish to die?! “ She whispered angrily, and Dong Ho nearly dropped the paper ball in surprise.

“ Just because we’re sitting at the back and next to each other where the teacher might hardly notice us, I can call for help and get you detention. “ She picked up a piece of paper ball and threw it to him before diverting her attention to the teacher again.

“ I was just bored… “ Dong Ho pouted and he picked up all the paper balls he made. He didn’t receive an answer and was worried that Hyeon Ju was really angry. He sneaked a peek at the teacher to make sure she wasn’t looking and poked Hyeon Ju in the arm.

“ Hyeon… Ju? “ He whispered meekly, afraid that his best friend’s anger might just fire up again. “ I’m sorry. “ He poked her waist this time. Hyeon Ju bit back a smile. He apologized repeatedly but didn’t hear any answer. He sighed softly before giving up on asking for her forgiveness.

 

          Hyeon Ju picked up her books from the table, ready to pack her bag and leave for home when she felt a hand on her arm.

“ Hyeon Ju. “ Dong Ho snatched the books away from her hands and dragged her out of the classroom.

“ YAH! “ She shouted, trying desperately to escape from his grip, but oh boy, he was stronger than her and she admit it.

“ Look. “ He finally uttered after they arrived somewhere quiet and he looked around for any signs of presence, satisfied that only a few were there.

“ I’m so sorry. “ He released his grip and gave her a sudden hug.

“ What? “ She barely managed an audible whisper as she realized this was the first time he had hug her ever since they turned teenagers. He broke the hug and coughed awkwardly while looking away.

“ I didn’t know what to do, so… “ He trailed off, still refusing to look at her.

“ Stupid. “ Hyeon Ju could imagine herself blushing and her heart beating fast due to the skinship. In fact, maybe she was doing that now. You know, the blushing and fast heartbeats. She walked away from him and couldn’t stop the smile from forming. Had he done that at a less crowded place because he was shy? They were friends, weren’t they? What was wrong with hugging… in the public? Okay, maybe that was wrong. It sounded wrong. They would be acting like a couple then.

“ Hyeon..Hyeon Ju! Hey! Wait for me! “ Dong Ho stuttered as he found out that he was being abandoned. “ Does that mean you forgive me now? “ He asked sheepishly, finally catching up to her.

“ Don’t do that next time. I mean, that was awkward. But you’re forgiven. “ She stuck out her tongue at him before rushing back to the class to get her bag and books.

“ First to reach home wins! “ She shouted and laughed, happy for the lucky head start.

“ You cheater! “ Dong Ho yelled after her, jogging slowly behind while smiling at the sight of his best friend running.

Maybe I’m really in love. His smile went wider. I’ll let her win this once.

“ Wait for me! “

 

          Their houses were practically next to each other, and Hyeon Ju obviously won.

“ Buy me cookies because I won. “ Hyeon Ju made a victory sign at Dong Ho and he faked a sigh.

“ You cheated. I’m not going to buy you anything. “ He lifted his head and smirked at her.

“ Awwww… but I’m a girl. “

“ Doesn’t give you any advantage!! “ He talked back, making Hyeon Ju pout instead. Dong Ho was speechless. Hyeon Ju was seriously getting cuter each day and she should stop making those faces.

“ Just kidding. I knew you wanted cookies, and my mum made us some today. She told me to give some to you. If she asks later, tell her I did. “ Dong Ho searched around his bag and dug out a packet of cookies.

“ Chocolate chips? “ Her eyes widen in delight. “ YAY! Do I get all? “ She looked up at him with what he would assume called puppy eyes and he sighed miserably. The girl or the cookies?

“ Just.. take all. “ He chose the girl instead and she gave him a quick hug happily. Dong Ho smiled at his best friend’s actions. He could get cookies from his mum anytime. He wouldn’t choose food over friends. Not to even mention best friend. Or maybe even a lover. Heh.

“ Can I at least get one? “ He pleaded.

“ Course you can! Tell your mum I love her baking. Chocolate chip cookies are the best. “

“ Did you just choose cookies over me? “ Dong Ho gasped exaggeratedly.

“ Please. Cookies are so much better than you. “ Hyeon Ju laughed and ran away from him, making him chase after her.

Tell me I did not make the wrong choice of choosing her over cookies. Dong Ho thought.