Chapter 1

Not That Special Person

 

 

Jisoo’s footsteps echoed throughout the silent library. Students were busy burying their faces in the books and some were just playing with their phones.

“Sung Jisoo!”

Someone whispered her name. She turned to her left and saw a very familiar face. It was her senior, Jung Jinyoung. He is a librarian. He volunteered for this job because he wanted to ‘run away’ from the crazy fangirls of his. He is very popular among girls since he is very good looking.

She stopped in front of the counter, “Hi,”

“Waiting for the love of your life?” he smirked.

“He is not the love of my life,” she rolled her eyes.

“You like him don’t you?” he pointed his index finger right at the bridge of her nose.

She slapped away his hand, “I do not. I’m a busy person. Bye,” she walked away from the counter and went to her usual place beside the large window.

She sat down and put her bag on her lap. She took out her novel and her phone. She plugged the earphone into her ear and touched the play button. She grabbed the novel and read it.

After 30 minutes, she couldn’t focus. Her eyes felt droopy and all she could think was sleep. She sighed and put the novel aside. She crossed her arms, leaned by the chair and watched the view from the window. There were trees. The leaves were falling. They were yellow and brown in colour.

“It’s autumn already?” she said to herself in a low tone.

She watched at the leaves falling one by one and her eyelids were slowly closing. Then she fell asleep.

Suddenly, there was a loud thump. She opened her eyes in shock. Still half asleep, she took off her earphone and turned her head.

“Han Sanghyuk, what are you doing?”

Jisoo’s friend, Sanghyuk was on the floor. All eyes were staring at him. He looked up at her while grinning, “I fell on my ,” he got on his feet and bowed to others, apologizing for making a fuss.

He pulled the chair in front of her and sat down rummaging stuffs in his bag.

“Did it hurt?” she whispered.

He frowned, “Well duh of course it hurts,”

He took out his laptop and some books. He usually does his assignment in the library with Jisoo accompanying him.

“Are you going to do your assignment?” she asked.

“Yup. It’s due to tomorrow and I haven’t done anything,” he answered while staring at his laptop.

“I’m going to take a nap so good luck to you,” she balled her hands into a fist, giving her ‘support’.

“You are not helping at all,” he shook his head, “Ah right! I have to search for the book,”

In a split second he was gone searching for the book. Jisoo watched him between the hall of books. His face was panicky as his eyes wandered for the book.

It has been two years knowing him. He is the only friend she has.

Jisoo ran to the library hurriedly to do her assignment. She pushed the door open and ran to an empty spot. She bumped into some of the students and she apologized.

She sat down and sighed in relief. She took out her laptop and started to do her assignment. She sat down there for hours. She glanced at her watch and her eyes widen. Her brother was supposed to pick her up at 4 and she was late.

She stuffed everything in her bag but she forgot to put her phone. She didn’t have time to open her bag again so she just grabbed the phone.

Unfortunately, the phone dropped and the earphone was unplugged. A loud music was booming in the whole library. She forgot to stop the music player.

“Oh !” she cursed under her breath and crouched down to pick it up. But, someone else was picking it up for her. She looked up and saw a boy with a dark brown hair crouching down in front of her. His figure was bigger than her.

He stopped the music and handed the phone to her. She stared at his arms. His skin was so fair like a baby.

“Your phone?” he said.

“Um yes. Thank you,” she took the phone and their hand brushes. They felt electrified. They were stunned for a bit.

Jisoo got back to her senses and got up. He got up too and he was taller than her. Feeling awkward, Jisoo bowed to him and he gave a smile.

It was the cutest smile she had ever seen.

She brushed it off and ran outside the library. As soon as she stepped outside the school, her brother yelled at her for being late. His face was red and furious.

Jisoo went into the car without saying anything. Her brother kept nagging her about being punctual. She couldn’t hear him because she was only thinking about the boy.

 

The next day she went to the library again. Hoping to see him again. She pushed the door slowly and stepped inside. Her eyes wandered around the library.

“Looking for someone?”

Jisoo turned around and saw a boy with a medium height. His hair was red and he was smiling at her. She glanced at his nametag.

Jung Jinyoung.

“No,” she simply answered. She bowed and went to the same place she sat yesterday. She sat down and stared at the entrance door. Waiting.

There was no sign of him. She gave up and decided to read a novel. She took her bag and searched for the book. As she was searching, someone knocked on the table.

She stopped for a while and glanced at the hand. She looked up and saw him. The one who helped her. He was smiling. She felt her heart beats fast.

“Can I sit here?” he asked while pointing at the chair in front of her.

She looked around and there were many empty seats. Why would he sit here? Confused, she nodded and took out the novel.

He sat down and took out his laptop. She was watching his every action unknowingly. He looked up and their eyes met.

“Hi,” he said in a low voice.

“Um hi?” she smiled awkwardly.

“My name is Han Sanghyuk,” he reached out his hand for a handshake.

She shook his hand nervously, “I’m Sung Jisoo,”

They let go and smiled at each other. Jisoo was  excited because no one had ever approached her. She didn’t have any friend except her brothers. Her classmates were scared of her because she looked cold and arrogant. She was a loser. She didn’t care though. She’s used to it.

He crossed his arms on the table, “You can call me Hyuk. What do I call you?”

“Jisoo. Jisoo is fine,” she smiled. The smile came out naturally. She felt comfortable of his presence.

“I see,” he nodded. “What major are you in?”

“I’m an art student. I study literature,” she answered.

“Wow an art student. I’ve never met an art student before,”

“You’ve met one right here. And, what do you major in?” she asked after gaining the courage.

“I major in engineering. It’s my first year here,”

“Really?” her eyes sparkled. “It’s my first year here too!”

He laughed at her sudden excitement.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized after realizing she was overreacting. “I’m just excited to have a friend,”

He raised his eyebrows, “You don’t have any friend?”

She shook her head. He was slightly shock but he smiled afterwards.

“I can be your friend,”

They started to see each other every day in the library. They did their assignments and talked to each other. They gossiped and laughed together. After two years of knowing him, her feelings for him started to grow.

She likes him.

She started to know about Jung Jinyoung too. He is her senior as he is an art student too. They greeted each other when they met. They talked about studies and he always about Sanghyuk.

 

SNAP!

Jisoo flinched at the snapping sound. It was Sanghyuk. He was snapping his fingers in front of her face.

“Are you daydreaming again?” he said while arranging some papers on the table.

“Did you find the book?” she asked.

“Yep,” he waved the book in the air.

“Good. I’m going to take a nap. Good luck again,” she rested her head on her arms. Her long hair was on the table. Distracting Sanghyuk to do his work.

He pulled her hair, “Tie your hair for once. It’s distracting me,”

She whined in pain, “Don’t touch my hair,” she slapped his hand and freed herself. She glared at him in anger.

“Tie your hair,” he commanded.

“I got no time for that,” she pulled her hair back and buried her face in her arms. Soon after that, she fell asleep.

 

Jisoo woke up after an hour sleeping. She opened her eyes slowly and saw the view outside. The sky was orange and yellowish. It was getting late.

She moved her head a bit and saw Sanghyuk still doing his assignment. She rested her head comfortably on her arms and stared at him. His face was serious, focused and he looked strangely handsome. She always saw this side of him and this is one of the reasons to like him.

She stared at him for a long time, appreciating that moment. She smiled when Sanghyuk frowned at his laptop. He must have made a mistake.

“Having fun laughing at me, Sung Jisoo?” he raised one of his eyebrows, staring at her.

She straightened her back, “I’m not laughing at all,” she put a serious face.

Sanghyuk smiled and continued his work. Not losing the opportunity, she stared at him again. She loves it.

After a lot of struggle doing his assignment, he finally finished it. He smiled proudly and turned off his laptop after saving everything. He packed up his stuff ready to go home and relax.

“Finished?” Jisoo looked up from her novel.

“Yes,” he grinned as he zipped his bag.

She nodded and stuffed her novel in the bag ready to go home too. They got up from their seats and walked to the door. They bowed at Jinyoung as they passed by the counter. The pulled the door open and went outside the school.

They walked side by side as usual. They didn’t talk but they felt comfortable. They’re used to it.

“Jisoo,” Sanghyuk called her name.

“Um?” she answered without looking at him.

Suddenly his arm wrapped around her neck. They were so close to each other that she could felt his breath on her skin. Her heart beats fast and her body temperature rose up.

“Do you want to go on a date with me?” he asked.

“What- Date?!” she raised her tone, shocked at the sudden invitation.

“Now that I think of it, we have never hang out with each other except in school,”

She looked up at him. He was looking away, his lips pouting. She swore her heart felt like exploding. He glanced at her and their eyes met.

She startled and looked away, “Well yes. But, date is a bit um…” she hesitated.

“What’s wrong?”

“I mean, that is what couples do and we are not in that kind of relationship so…” she explained carefully.

“Ah! We don’t have to be a couple. Let’s just say it’s a kind of hang out with a friend,” he smiled at her.

She was a little bit disappointed with what he had said. She brushed it off.

“Okay. When is it?” she asked.

“This Saturday? Are you free?”

“Yeah. What time?”

“At noon maybe? I’ll pick you up. Will your brothers allow you to go with me though?” he asked.

“I don’t know ‘cause I never hang out with a friend-“

“YA SUNG JISOO!” Jisoo’s second brother, Jungseok yelled. He was crossing his arms glaring at them furiously. Jungseok is shorter than Sanghyuk but he is older. He is a very strict brother of hers.

He pointed at Sanghyuk, “What are you doing to my sister?!”

Sanghyuk let go of her quickly, “Hi, hyung. How was your day?” he grinned nervously.

Jisoo giggled and went to her brother’s side.

“My day gone bad when I saw you,” Jungseok furrowed his eyebrows.

“I’m sorry about that,” Sanghyuk apologized.

“Can I hang out with Hyuk this Saturday?” Jisoo asked her brother.

Jungseok glared at her, “Your first hang out is with him?”

Jisoo shrugged, “Yes. Please let me go with him,” she grabbed Jungseok’s sleeve, pleading.

He glared at Sanghyuk, “If she’s hurt I’m going to kill you,”

“Is that a yes?” she looked up at her brother.

Jungseok didn’t respond but he kept staring at Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk feeling burdened, he made an eye contact with Jisoo. Asking for help.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she smiled at Sanghyuk and grabbed her brother’s arm, “Let’s go home,”

Jungseok lifted his chin and went into the car. Jisoo sighed and shook her head.

“Bye,” she waved her hands and opened the car’s door.

“I’ll call you later,” Sanghyuk gestured his hand like a phone.

 

“Hurry up!” Jungseok shouted inside the car. Jisoo rolled her eyes and went in. Sanghyuk waved his hand at both of them and they drove off.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thank you for reading and do subscribe. -hugabuga