Remembering

Silenced Melody

A/N Listen to this while reading :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TONc62E0uM (Gone by Jin) 

Yoojung’s POV

        I sighed as I felt the car glide to a stop and the door open. “Agasshi? We’re here,” my chauffeur said.

        I slid out of the car and started walking down the path. I already knew how many paces there were to the door and I knew how to navigate around my house and around my school.

        One, two, three, four, five, six…

        I still counted though, to make sure I was 100% correct and when I turned to my right, the doorknob was right there. I smiled to myself as I opened the door to the house.

        “Appa, I’m home,” I called out softly as I walked to the lounge room.

        I bit my lip slightly when I heard piano playing coming from the other room and I knew that my dad was giving piano lessons. I didn’t know who the other student was, but I knew his name was Xiumin. I had overheard my father talking to one of the bodyguards and I knew that my father didn’t want him interacting with me for whatever reason. I guess he didn’t want us falling for each other.

        I sat down on the couch and waited for my father to call me in. He also taught me piano to the best of his abilities, but he was mostly the same as he was to Xiumin, who got yelled at for being distracted at times. Sometimes he was gentle because I am blind after all, but he usually only treated me as a regular student. It’s no wonder that many quit on him.

        “Yoojung? I won’t be able to teach you today, okay? It’s gotten a little late. Go do your homework, I’ll bring your food soon,” I heard my father’s voice and I nodded, unsure if he could see me and then went up to my room to go do my homework.

        On my way to my room, I felt a movement next to me fleetingly and then it was gone. I guessed that someone had passed by me, but I didn’t turn my head to look. What was the point if I couldn’t see?

        But when I got to my room, all I could think about was that melody, that beautiful melody. Was that Xiumin that was playing earlier?

        I hummed the melody to myself, but stopped abruptly when the door opened and my father came in. “How is your homework, Yoojung-ah?”

        “It’s okay,” I said, pulling my computer to me. I clicked play on my recorder and my instructor’s voice sounded. I typed down what she was asking me to type, using the position on the keys to type it down.

        “That’s good then… Work hard~” Appa said before leaving.

        I had stopped humming when my father came in, but resumed when I heard the door close.

        Maybe I’ll meet him tomorrow…


        The next day was Friday and I had gotten home early today and my father was already giving me my piano lessons. I faintly heard a door close and wondered if it was Xiumin, which caused my hand to slip and press a couple of wrong keys.

        “Yah! Yoojung! What are you doing?! Aish… you can never get anything right…” my father yelled then muttered, and I heard the door slam to signify that he had walked away.

        I sighed and reached for the candy I knew was on the top of the piano, feeling disappointed in myself, but knew that my father’s anger was misplaced. It was a mistake that anyone would have made, but his words still stung.

        My hand hit the edge of the plate, causing the candies to fall. I crouched down and felt around for the candies, fighting tears. This was one of those times when I hated being blind, I hated not being able to see.

        I ended up gathering up the candy and carefully placed it back into the bowl and sat back down at the piano, carefully placing my hands and pressing notes to make sure I was in the correct position.

        I started playing, but kept on messing up on finger placement when I felt a presence sitting next to me. “Annyeong~” the voice said and I just stayed silent. “I’m Xiumin… What’s your name?”

        My heart skipped a beat when I heard who it was. “Y-Yoojung,” I stuttered slightly and I heard a short breath of laughter.

        “It’s really nice to meet you, Yoojung,” he said and I could feel him place his hands next to mine. “Can I play you something?”

        I nodded and he started playing the melody I had heard the day before and I listened intently as he played.

        I heard footsteps, and I turned my head to the door and the piano playing stopped quickly. “I’ll be right back,” he whispered and then the presence was gone.

        I giggled and a smile came onto my face as the footsteps stopped.

        “Was anyone else in here?” I heard my father ask and I shook my head.

        The silence dragged on as I assume he looked around and then the footsteps went out of the room and I giggled again.

        Then there was silence and I was waiting for Xiumin to start talking again or just to sit down and it was a little bit before that happened.

        I was just about to think that you had left… I had thought when I felt him slide next to me.

        He continued playing until he stopped and then he said sheepishly, “That’s all I know… But once I know the whole thing, I’ll play it for you, okay?”

        I nodded with a small smile and I heard a quiet groan and a clatter like a lid of a container was opening. “What’s wrong…?” I asked, concerned.

        “It’s nothing… Here, say ahhh~” he said and I opened my mouth.

        I felt him place a candy in my mouth and then his finger hit my lip and I smiled at the contact, my heart beating faster now.

        “Yoojung~!” I heard my father call from the other room and I sighed. “Are you practicing?”

        “Yes Appa, I am!” I called back and hung my head.

        I placed my hands on the piano and carefully started playing. I messed up again and tears of frustration pricked my eyes. “I can never get this…” I muttered, forgetting Xiumin was next to me.

        “Do you want me to help you?” his voice sounded next to me and I nodded, my head still hung. He went quiet again as my father’s voice sounded once more.

        “I’ll be up in my office okay? Please be practicing…”

        “Okay!” I called back and then Xiumin placed his hands next to mine.

        “Alright, listen to me play your song first,” he said and played it slowly, letting me hear the part where I messed up and then let me play.

        With his patient guidance, I played the song correctly and then he said, “I’m sorry Yoojung-ssi, but I have to go now… I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

        I could hear the hopeful tone in his voice and I nodded with a small smile on my face. “Of course… Oh, and Xiumin? You don’t have to be formal with me…”

        I couldn’t see his expression, but I looked turned my head back to the piano and started playing the song I was learning.


        Throughout the week, I wasn’t able to practice since I had a lot of homework, but I always did my homework in the practice room where I could listen to Xiumin’s beautiful piano melody. I knew that he was getting better and better every day and I loved hearing him play. I knew my father didn’t really approve of me listening in and doing my homework in the lounge, but since I was doing okay and it wasn’t interrupting my studies, he didn’t tell me to move or to stop doing my homework there.

        One day, I was doing my homework when I felt the couch dip beside me. “Hi Xiumin-ah~” I said with a smile and without looking up.

        “How did you know it was me?” he asked, surprise evident in his voice.

        “You’re the only one who would sit down next to me here. Especially here in the lounge,” I told him, still focused on the computer in my lap.

        “Why are you so alone?” Xiumin suddenly asked and I froze.

        I hadn’t really thought about this for a while and had kind of accepted that I wouldn’t have a lot of friends, but I never went into deep thought about it.

        “Oh… I think… I think my appa doesn’t like me being around other people because I’m blind. I don’t think he wants people to judge me.”

        “I don’t judge you,” he said and I gently smiled.

        “I know you don’t, but my appa doesn’t know that…”

        “We should go outside soon,” Xiumin said and my head shot to where I thought he was.

        “What… What if we get caught?” I asked in a hushed tone, afraid of that.

        “I can keep an eye out for everyone. Plus, I think the fresh air would do both of us good,” he said matter of factly.

        I nodded slowly, still worried about if we got caught. We both would be in so much trouble and I was afraid that I would lose him.

        “Come on, I finished learning that song,” he said cheerily and moved the book out of my lap before pulling me up.

        “You learned it?” I asked with a smile on my face as he led me to the piano and sat me down.

        “Yeah, and I have something else to tell you afterwards,” he said and I detected shyness in his voice.

        But why would he be shy?

        He started playing the piano softly, and I listened intently. It was a really beautiful song and I loved it. He played it delicately and I heard an underlying meaning because of how much emotion I could feel he was pouring into the song.

        Once he was done, I started, “Xiumin-ah—“

        “Wait… I need to tell you something Yoojung-ah, before I lose my nerve,” he said and took a deep breath.

        I tilted my head slightly in confusion. What did he need to tell me?

        “I…Yoojung…” he hesitated and I held my breath.

        Was he going to say that he didn’t want to be friends anymore? Was it a good thing or a bad thing? Did he not—

        “I like you.”

        I froze and the breath I was holding let out sharply. He… He liked me? The feelings I had been feeling from before I actually met him were returned?

        “It’s okay if you don’t like me back, I just really wanted to tell you that before I exploded or regretted not telling you,” I heard him say as I sensed him start to get up and I immediately shook my head.

        “No!” I exclaimed and I felt him freeze. “Xiumin-ah… I like you too,” I told him in a hushed voice.

        There was silence. And more silence.

        Silence.

        Deafening silence.

        Did he leave?

        “Really?” he asked, his voice full of surprise.

        I nodded shyly. “Yeah… I’ve actually liked you since I heard you start playing the piano and I heard you..” I said, looking down and tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

        “Come on, let’s go outside,” he said, excitement in his voice and I looked up in alarm.

        “Wh-what? Now?”

        “Yeah…! Why not? Yoojung, this would be perfect. We finally confess to each other and we go outside! I want to tell you something else too…” 

        I bit my lip, but Xiumin had already grabbed my hand to pull me outside. I held my hand against the brick wall as he guided me and then he whispered, “Wait here…”

        I waited patiently, but I couldn’t stand the silence. I didn’t like how silent it was but all of a sudden, I was yanked forward by Xiumin and he led me to the bench. “Yoojung… I have something important to tell you,” he said and a worried look came upon my face.

        “What is it?” I asked, tilting my head.

        He gently took my hand and he guided it to his chest where I could feel his heart beating. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. “It’s… my heart. I’m sick…”

        I exhaled and bit my lip. “I don’t care,” I said.

        “Yoojung, I don’t have a lot of time..”

        “I don’t care,” I said again. My hands went up and they found his face and I cupped his cheeks. “I just want to spend this time with you…”

        I felt him smile and then he groaned. I pulled back as I heard the snap of the cap, the rattle of pills.  I wanted to ask how long he had left when all of a sudden, I heard shouting and running feet. “Xiumin?” I asked, scared.

        “It’s okay, Yoojung…” he said, grabbing my hands.

        “They found out,” I guessed and my voice was shaky.

        “It’s okay—“

        “No it’s not! I don’t want you to leave!” I cried out and he held my hands tightly.

        “I won’t Yoojung, I’m right here,” he said and then I heard more shouting, low voices, and running feet.

        Then his hands were ripped from mine.

        “Xiumin!” I cried out, holding my hand out, tears forming in my eyes.

        “Yoojung! Let me… go! Stop! Hang on Yoojung!” I heard his voice, but it was getting far away and my head was turning back and forth, trying to find him, but it was useless.

        “Wait!!” I heard his voice one last time and then it was gone.

        “Xiumin…” I whispered, dropping to my knees.

        I reached my hands out and all of a sudden, I felt a bottle. I brought it up to my ear and shook it. I heard pills rattling around and I paled. Pills… He dropped his bottle of pills… He had more, right? Of course he had more, he wouldn’t just leave it like that, right?

        I heard more footsteps, slower this time and I held my breath. Did he come back?

        “Come, Yoojung. Come back inside,” I heard my father’s voice and I sighed in disappointment.

        I walked back inside and sat at the piano, playing the piece I learned softly, wishing I had Xiumin with me.

        Footsteps sounded again and I stopped playing, listening.

        “Yoojung, you know I told you not to go outside. And I told you to stay away from that boy!” my father said and I shook my head.

        “You said no such thing… We were just talking, appa,” I said back, staring unseeingly ahead.

        “Yoojung—“

        “Stop appa. I just want to be as normal as I can be… Xiumin made me feel that way. This,” I said, waving my hands around, still not turning my head towards him. “doesn’t. I’m going to my room.”

        With the scrape of the piano bench, I walked up to my room, silently.


            A few days later, I was standing in the lounge, holding his bottle of pills in my hand, rolling it in them. He was okay right? My heart beat faster, and I was getting scared that something bad had happened to him.

        I heard a door open and I braced myself for my dad’s scolding. He hadn’t talked to me since I had my outburst and went up to my room.

        The familiar scratch of the piano bench against the floor made me look up and stand up. “Xiumin…?” I whispered.

        That familiar melody started playing and I felt tears come into my eyes. It was him. I took a step forward, ready to open the doors to go talk to him.

        I could feel the emotion, the message behind it. I love your smile, I love your laugh, I love your everything.

        My hand was on the door when I heard the thud and messed up chords sound and I froze. Tears started to accumulate and started falling as I heard shouting. No… “Please no…” I whispered.

        Running footsteps, hushed voices, and a soft grunt was heard. Tears kept on falling as I heard a door open and shut. I rolled the bottle of pills in my hand, using one to cover my mouth to stifle my sobs.

        I had no idea if I was supposed to hear that, no idea if he was okay, no idea if I was going to be okay.

        The screech of the piano bench against the wood sounded again and the end of the melody started playing. I couldn’t help it. I fell to my knees and sobbed. “No, no please no…” I cried as the song ended. “Please no…”


After

       

        “It’s cold this winter… The snow is nice and bright though. And the trees are very pretty with all of the snow on it. Although I like summer and fall better. The cool air is nice and I think love can grow during that time in order to bear the burden of a cold winter. Don’t you think?” I heard my friend ask as we walked down a pathway.

        “Yeah,” I replied absentmindedly, but I guess she didn’t hear me clearly because she added. “Yah. Kim Yoojung. Are you even listening? Oh… Oh, I’m so sorry. Here… We’re here now... Kneel down right… here and I’ll leave you alone, okay?”

        Kneeling in the snow brought an onslaught of memories. Me at the piano with him, his hands next to mine. Us sitting outside on the bench. Hearing his melody which was a confession of his love.

        Xiumin… I placed a hand over my heart which was aching for him. How long has it been? Too long in my perspective.

        I heard snow crunching and, thinking it was my friend, I said, “I’m not ready to leave yet…”

        “I know,” a different voice said and I froze. Is that… Could it be…? Is it…?

        “I’ve missed you, Yoojung-ah.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N And, finally, it's finished! I'm so sorry to make you guys wait almost 2 months for it... I hope you all like it and if you want, please take the poll below and check out the blog post I made about my other stories. Click >here< for that post. Tell me what you think of this, comments always make my day and I try to respond to all of them :) Happy new year everyone!!