Final

Thumping Heart

 

 

 

 

Youngjae looked outside his window after sitting up at the side of his bed and putting his glasses on. It was indeed a beautiful day outside, yet he didn't want to leave the house. It was a Wednesday morning which meant school.

You see, Youngjae is not popular, hell he's not even close to that. He is a nerd. An ugly nerd that only seems to be useful to do others' homeworks or giving answers during tests. He only has two friends - not that he needed anyone else apart from them (even if he had always dreamnt of being popular). Jongup and Daehyun were all he could ask for. Jongup was an amazing dancer and everyone seemed to admire him for that and for his bright personality. Daehyun was a class clown, always smiling and laughing, always chering people up. Only Youngjae seemed to have lots of difficulties in finding friends.

He sighed as he made his way to the kitchen to eat before leaving for school. Although he was one of the best students of the whole school, he hated school more than anyone. He had no reason to like school, no reason at all. He, Jongup and Daehyun met outside school almost everyday and they weren't even in the same classes. Why would Youngjae like school? Even worse now, that he started crushing on the most popular guy of the whole school. The Kim Himchan.

You see, Himchan was Youngjae's opposite, he was beautiful - perfect even - with his blond soft hair, charismatic eyes (that weren't hidden by a pair of ing thick glasses), funny, outgoing, interesting, a joker and most of all, a briliant student without having to study for hours and hours to achieve outstandous marks on the tests. The only thing Himchan didn't have was patience. Patience to do anything. Homework, projects, studying, so he left all of the hard work for Youngjae and then just take all the credits when he had to give the teacher something. And even after all of that, Youngjae still crushed on him. Of all people, he had to crush on Kim ing Himchan.

He reached his class, making his usual silent way to his sit, that - just because life is a ing - had to be next to the great, perfect Himchan.

Math class started, Youngjae's pen marking the paper as words, numbers, equations, exercises were quickly written down on it, while the guy next to him kept his pen down, resting on top of his blank notebook page. After hearing some talking beside him, Youngjae widened his eyes in surprise as through the corner of his eyes he watched Himchan pick up his pen and start writing something down. Although, he was even more surprised when the same hand touched his shoulder and handed him a note. He took one final look at Himchan - who had already gotten back to chatting - before opening it.

 

Can we meet after school? I need to talk to you. ^^

 

Youngjae looked away from the paper, looking back at Himchan. The latter flashed him a beautiful smile and Youngjae could only nod in response to that note that left him wondering what it could be for the rest of the classes.

At lunch, he met Daehyun and Jongup. Those two kept denying it but Youngjae could feel something about them. They were always weird with each other from the begining, Daehyun used to stutter when he looked at Jongup, and Jongup hardly looked back at Daehyun, but with time things only got worse. And at the same time, different. And those quick shy glances and cute small smiles didn't fool anyone. At least if that anyone was Youngjae.

"What's wrong with you, JaeJae?" Daehyun's voice brought him back from his thoughts.

"Something weird happened today." Youngjae answered, making both Daehyun and Jongup raise they're eyebrows.

"What do you mean weird?" Daehyun questioned and Jongup nodded in agreement.

"Himchan hyung asked me to meet him after school." His friends shared a silent look before turning to Youngjae and let him explain. "He said he wanted to talk to me."

"But... that's a good thing, isn't it?" Jongup asked, a confused look spreading along his features.

"I don't know..." He stated while sudden thoughts flashed through is mind. Obviously, positivity wasn't on his side; as usual. "Oh, who the am I kidding? He probably just wants to ask me to do his homework!" Youngjae fumed, placing his head in his hands. He was so confused. He wanted to be wrong. For once in his ing boring life he wanted to be wrong, but he was almost sure he was getting his hopes too high. And soon, he was going to fall. Hard. Face first.

"You have to calm down, Jae. You're thinking too hard. You only have one more class and then you're finally going to talk to him. Wait a little bit more." Jongup suggested with a smile.

"Thanks Uppie." Youngjae offered him a closed-mouthed smile; happy to have such good friends. He could never understand how lucky he was to have those two. Even if sometimes all he wanted to do was choke them. Hard.

***

The sound of the bell ringing echoed through the school as one more class ended. Luckly for Youngjae, it was his last one for the day. He started gathering all his things, begining with his books and so on, though, he stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up, only to widen his eyes and look down again, trying to hide the blush that had already spread in his cheeks.

"I'll wait for you outside, yeah?" Himchan questioned, even though it was more of an affirmation instead of a question.

Himchan didn't even wait for Youngjae's answer and headed out of the class. Probably because he knows I won't say no. He thought with a scoff, shoving his pencil-case into his red bagpack. He threw it onto his shoulder and stormed out of the class. He stopped dead on his tracks when he almost crashed into Himchan. The latter seemed shocked by the outburst of the younger but pretended nothing happened and smiled at Youngjae. To his surprise, Youngjae didn't smile back or looked shy. He looked, uninterested. Youngjae crossed his arms.

"Which subject?" Youngjae questioned, giving Himchan the cold shoulder.

"What are you talking about?" Nice one Himchan. You really look confused. What a great actor you are. Somehow, Youngjae's thoughts had turned darker and more negative than usual. And this time, he showed it to anyone who wanted to pay attention to it.

"Which subject do you have homework?" Youngjae asked again, getting slightly irritated. He honestly didn't even know why he was acting this way. It was like this wasn't him. His mind was clouded with darkness and his heart clenched as the thought of being able to be with Himchan was walking even further away from his reach.

"You're in the same class as me, you should know... But wait, why are you asking me that?" Himchan asked, his frown deepening.

Youngjae let his arms fall to his side, confusion written all over his face when he dropped his indiferent, cold mask. "Wasn't that the reason you wanted to talk to me?"

"What? No! I just wanted to ask you if you were free on Friday..." Himchan asked and to Youngjae's surprise, he blushed, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah I am... but why?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me." Himchan asked with his gorgeous smile and sparkling eyes. When Youngjae didn't answer, he continued. "Maybe go to the movies or something... There is a pretty cool movie at the cinemas now."

"Are you asking me on a date?" Youngjae asked, careful not to drop his chin somewhere.

"Hey, that's pretty much it." Although Himchan was smiling beautifuly; the pink shades didn't go unnoticed by the other.

"I would love to." Youngjae answered before he could control himself.

"Great. I'll pick you up at 7 pm." Himchan replied. "Don't forget, this Friday at 7 pm." Himchan remarked while pointing his finger at Youngjae, reforcing his words.

Youngjae shock his head 'no', assuring Himchan he wouldn't forget. And as soon as Himchan turned his perfect back on him, he shook his head.

How could I forget?

***

The week passed by him like a strick of light and before he knew it, he was already sitting with his best friends, relaxing and eating lunch; enjoying his free Friday afternoon. Although he had two idiots he called friends up his all week because of his unexpected date with that God called Himchan, and having the God throwing quick glances at him - which for the record Himchan thought went unnoticed - and smiling at his friends (and getting teased by them after) after looking at him, the week went faster than expected.

"So, you guys are going to help me, right?" Youngjae asked, hope filling his eyes.

"Obviously." Daehyun replied, smiling while Jongup nodded in agreement.

Youngjae flashed a bright smile at them before getting back to eating his french fries happily, savoring the taste of his so loved ketchup on them. After that, they didn't talk about anything else especificly. There was some more teasing, some more laughs, smiles and even a few playful punches. A well spent lunch with your best friends, naturally created moments that we remember later on and smile, even though the talk itself is long forgotten somewhere in the back of our minds.

After eating lunch and running through some shops of the mall, the clock already marked 5:30 pm and the three boys were on their way to Youngjae's house. Daehyun already sharing his thoughts with Jongup and Youngjae about some clothes he remembers seeing in Youngjae's closet that would mach well. It's not that Youngjae doesn't have nice clothes on his closet, he does. He just doesn't wear them. He puts them aside and choses some other clothes that fit well his nerdy look, not his personality. Because Daehyun's pretty sure if they could manage to make Youngjae wear clothes that mach his personality, his popularity would rise in no time and Jongup couldn't agree more.

After some good forty minutes going through almost all of Youngjae's clothes, they managed to make him look handsome. With a white v-neck, a pair of black skinny jeans, some nice white All Stars, a pair of lens instead of his usual thick brown glasses and a beenie on top of his head, covering most of his beautiful brown hair, they've managed to make him looking handsome. Youngjae's beauty was finally pouring out to the outside and both Daehyun and Jongup couldn't be more satisfied with their work as they stepped out of Youngjae's house and held each other's hands with a smile on their faces.

Youngjae waited patiently in his empty leaving room (and he thanked God his mother was in a business trip) for the clock to turn from 6:59 to 7:00 pm. As he sat on the sofa with his hormones and nerves all over the place, he noticed he didn't even know what movie they were going to watch. Was it going to be a horror movie? Oh God no. Maybe a comedy? That sounds like Himchan. What about an movie? Oh for God's Sake, Youngjae. Not that it would matter anyway, he was almost sure he wasn't going to pay attention to the movie at all. He was certain that all he was going to do was stare at Himchan and carefully analise and memorize all those gorgeous expressions. Yeah, those were defiantly his plans for the night.

Youngjae didn't really expect Himchan to be there on time, yet he felt happy as he made his way to the door at 7:00 pm. He had alwyas been careful not to let his jaw drop in front of Himchan every time he saw him at school, because dude, wouldn't that be embarassing, but now? Nobody could blame him. Himchan looked stunning. His blond locks carefully combed to the front, barely covering his dark eyes that sparkled like there was no tomorrow; his neck and collarbones exposed as he wore his white blouse three buttons opened, having the brunnet imagine the wonderful sight under that tight blouse; his skinny jeans that definatly hugged his thighs and in the most perfect and delicious way; the watch he had embracing his pulse. Everything.

"Hi." Himchan said, again flashing his most gorgeous smile.

"H-Hello." Youngjae said, feeling himself blush, knowing Himchan noticed the way he was looking at him.

"You look beautiful tonight Youngjae." Himchan's smooth voice complimented, reddening the already pinkish blush Youngjae's cheeks wore.

"Thank you. You look even better." He whispered the last part to himself, admiring the perfection ahead of him.

"Oh I'm sure I don't." Himchan replied chuckling softly as he watched Youngjae's eyes widen. He knew Youngjae's compliment was meant to be unheard yet he couldn't help but reply. It was more than obvious Youngjae was shy which only contributed for his cuteness to rise even more.

They walked silently to Himchan's car, Himchan still admiring Youngjae's beauty from the corner of his eyes. He had always seen the beauty nobody else seemed to see in the brunnet boy, but right now, the boy was absolutely stunning. From his beautiful and shiny brown locks, gently pushed to the side, forming a beautiful curve right above his gorgeous eyes and the beenie cover the rest; to his skinny jeans and v-neck that showed his manly shoulders and perfect collarbones. But the most beautiful thing about Youngjae this night is the carefree way he walks, instead of looking like he wanted to crawl inside himself whenever people gave him longer looks. Himchan really believed people didn't do it on purpose and that not every long look meant disgust or hatred. Maybe some people admired Youngjae too. Maybe they found him interesting and mysterious.

Their trip to the movies was quiet, the radio being the only sound echoeing through the car. After some songs, Youngjae's eyes light up and he started humming softly to the new song playing. Those humms were like melody to Himchan and made him warm inside at the sweet sight but noticing how the brunnet's eyes light up like Christmas lights, Himchan turned up the volume. This time, Youngjae hummed louder and even sang some parts softly, leaving Himchan mesmerized by the sweet, beautiful voice Youngjae had. Though, as soon as the song ending that melody disappeared leaving Youngjae focused silently on the road ahead. Still, that silent didn't last long, Himchan's voice breaking it.

"You have a beautiful voice Youngjae. A really beautiful voice." Himchan affirmed, his voice soft.

Youngjae blushed and looked at the window by his side, murmuring a soft 'Thanks'. Himchan smiled and focused back on the road, leaving Youngjae to his brainstorming mind and thumping heart.

***

Surprisingly Himchan loved sci-fi movies; Youngjae learned tonight. They didn't know what to chose when finally Himchan asked the other if he liked sci-fi movies. Youngjae answered they were his favorites and once again admired Himchan's dazling smile.

The movie started, Youngjae watching both the movie and Himchan's focused face on the movie he was supposed to be focusing on. He often took popcorn out of its package and drank his coke, that - after a lot of arguing - Himchan payed for him. Though, at some point he managed to touch Himchan's hand while his hand took a familiar trip to the popcorn package, electric shooks shooting up his arm and spread along his body. Himchan's hand was so warm and his skin was so soft. Youngjae looked at his and the blond's hand that still remained on the same place, taking time to look carefully and observe Himchan's feminine, pretty hand. A silver ring decorated one of his fingers; his nails well taken care of.

They both retired their hands feeling the awardness starting to increase, so they both focused on the movie once again, keeping each hand down on their laps. Though, after some time Youngjae rested his arm of the armchair, it contributing to a more comfortable position. As he focused on what the main character was saying, he felt that warm and soft hand rest on top of his, having him widen his eyes. He felt like they were literaly going to pop out of their places at how widened they were. Still, when Youngjae thought they couldn't widen more, they did when Himchan held his hand softly, brushing his thumb over the back of Youngjae's hand in a gentle, sweet touch.

***

After watching the movie, Himchan invited Youngjae for a dinner at McDonald's since the latter commented he was craving for one. Even though it was meant to be a joke, Youngjae really felt like eating one, another reason why he should acept the offer. They had a nice trip to the McDonald's, chatting about the movie filling the car with laughing as they remembered the funny parts and commented on the characters and the way the action developed during the movie.

At McDonald's, their talk was different. Somehow they started talking about the movie and now they were talking about school.

"I never understood how you manage to get so many good marks on your tests..." Youngjae affirmed, amusement spreading along his feaures. "I mean, you don't study right?" Himchan agreed. "And you're always talking in classes... I don't get it."

Himchan chuckled softly, nodding. "I don't know. Somehow, what the teachers say gets inside my head. I don't know how I do it." He looked at Youngjae. "Maybe I'm a genius." He joked and they laughed for a bit.

"Maybe you really are. I mean, I study hours and hours to get the marks I get." Youngjae replied, making a face.

Silent settled itself between them as they ate and drank.

"You know, you should use lens more often." Himchan commented, looking at Youngjae's eyes. "It makes people see your beauty."

"So you're saying people only see 'my beauty' when I don't wear glasses?" Youngjae questioned.

"That's not what I meant. I mean, it's easier for people to notice your true beauty without glasses and that type of clothes. I'm not saying you're not beautiful with glasses on." Himchan replied and Youngjae blushed for like, the twentieth time today. "You know what, forget it. Use your glasses. I want to be the only one to see you like this." Himchan demanded after some silence, smiling at Youngjae's cute, surprised expression.

He is indeed beautiful. In everything he does. Himchan thought as he felt a warm feeling invading his heart and those so famous butterflies fly around his stomach.

***

They arrived at Youngjae's house after eating dinner and walking around the park. Himchan gained courage and held his hand as they walked through the path between trees and big patches of green grass, Youngjae blushing, yet as the minutes passed, it being replaced by a beautiful spark of happiness right next to his pupils.

Himchan got off of the car and rushed to Youngjae's door, opening it for him like the gentleman he was. Youngjae smiled and got off of the car as well, leaving Himchan to close the door. He waited for Himchan to say goodbye, but instead, the blond walked ahead of him, heading towards his house's front door.

Seeing the confused look on the other's face, Himchan chuckled softly and explained. "I'm not going to invite myself for a coffee at your house, don't worry. I'm just walking you to the door like they do in the movies, okay?" Youngjae nodded and laughed as they reached his door.

"I had fun tonight." Youngjae said smiling brightly.

"Mee too. You're a beautiful person Youngjae. I really liked spending this evening with you." Himchan replied as he held Youngjae's hands with his.

"Thank you, Himchan. You're also beautiful. You're different than I thought." Youngjae said, that sparkle having its way back to its spot, next to his dark pupil.

"Is that good or bad?" Himchan joked.

"Good. It's very good." Youngjae smiled.

Himchan smiled back and let go of Youngjae's hands, moving them to the brunnet's cheeks instead.

"I really like you Youngjae." Himchan said as he leaning closer to Youngjae's face.

"I-I like you t-too." Youngjae stuttered. He got used to the compliments and holds hands during the night, yes. But this, this was too much for his poor heart to handle.

Himchan closed the gap between them, moving one of his arms to circle Youngjae's waist, bringing him closer. Youngjae closed his eyes and returned the kiss, moving his unexperienced lips against Himchan's. Himchan's lips felt soft and warm. What was with Himchan and his soft and warm lips and hands? Youngjae's hands found their way to Himchan's neck, also bringing him closer and deepening the kiss. Youngjae had never felt something like this. Something so perfect.

They broke apart and Himchan could only smile against Youngjae's lips, dragging a smile from Youngjae as well.

"I really like you, Youngjae." Himchan repited, caressing his crush's face with his thumb.

"I like you too."

Himchan smiled and peck Youngjae's lips.

"Goodnight, Jae." Himchan said warmingly. "See you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow's Saturday." Youngjae stated.

"I know. And tomorrow will be the day we'll do a picnick by the lake and tomorrow will be the day I ask you to be my boyfriend." Youngjae's eyes widened in the cutest way ever. "Look foward to it, ne?"

Himchan said before turning around and making his way to his car. He waved at Youngjae one last time, and once he entered his car he speeded off, disappearing around the corner, leaving Youngjae to his thumping heart once again.

But that was okay, because now he had Himchan to take care of it.