Final

A Wonderful Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it is with him, you wouldn't mind ended up being a foul-mouthed elderly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“If you have a chance to ask for anything you want for your birthday, what would you ask?”

“I don’t need expensive gifts because enough people had gave them to me for all over the past years. I  don’t need posh car or big house because I’m grateful enough with what I had today.” That tall boy paused, “I only have one wish. I wish, I could see my grandfather again, even if just for few minutes, I would ask nothing more.”

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Squeaking noises of the rusty hinges gets louder, the dawn just broke and the day gets brighter, sun was peeking out of the emerald mountain with imaginary bright euphoric smile greeting the earthling. He still stood by the doorstep, unmoving, no matter how many minutes had passed. Brand new day just started! Time to rise and shine. The boy stepped out of the kitchen with big smile, only to widen it when some elderlies greeted him,

“Good morning, Kyungsoo!” The chorused.

Kyungsoo nods and walked closer towards the group of old folks, “Good morning!” He greeted then enthusiastically. “Breakfast is served. Let’s eat?”

They all just nod in return.

At first, Kyungsoo thought, working at old folk’s home and taking care of elderlies would be troublesome. Well, you know, with them being foul-mouthed and stuff, it would take a lot of patience. But now that he’s been working there for 5 months, he thinks he likes it a lot. Kyungsoo is an adorable and kind boy anyway, so the old folks there like him so much. He knows how to catch their hearts and always know how to joke with them. With him being all squishy and endearing like that, no one could possibly hate him. Kyungsoo always pitied the old folks there. Even though some of them were sent here only for temporarily because of some reason, there were also some of them was sent to this house because they were abandoned by their own family. He cannot understand why they did something as cruel as that. Kyungsoo just will never understand. Just because they are all rich and successful, it doesn’t mean they could just disowned a family member that they thought they’re… malfunctioning.

“Jungsoo ahjussi, would you like me to help you with that?” He asked when one of the elderlies there seems to have a problem to cut his meat.

The older man just shook his head, “its okay, Kyungsoo-yah.” He smiled to the boy.

Kyungsoo gave his heart-shaped smile as reply, which flatters all the elderlies heart at just how bright it was. Out of so many old folks living there, Jungsoo ahjussi is the one that Kyungsoo likes the most. That old man always wanted to do everything on his own even though Kyungsoo always offered for his help. He’s not only a good listener, but also a good advisor. He always told Kyungsoo stories about his past and his family. He’s a funny man, but he knows how to be serious when things get tensed. The thing that Kyungsoo likes the most about Jungsoo ahjussi has to be his talent in singing. That’s something they have in common. They often sing together, sometimes the old songs, reminiscing the old memories.

Jungsoo ahjussi is a late 70’s who had lost his family around 18 years ago. They were separated during an earthquake. Even though so many years had passed, he always believed that his family is still alive. They are somewhere out there, missing him, wishing him to be found.

Kyungsoo took at seat beside the ahjussi who’s staring fondly at the sky, “What are you thinking about?” He asked.

The ahjussi smiled, “Suddenly I miss my family, especially my grandson.” He said.

“Grandson?” Kyungsoo frowned, “You never told me you have a grandson before.” He pouted.

The older man chuckled at such an adorable sight of the pouting Kyungsoo, “I did?”

Kyung nods, “Yeah!” He then said nonchalantly, “So, tell me about him.”

“My last time seeing my grandson, at that time he was only 5 years old.” He took a deep breath before continuing his story. “He’s really a bright and beautiful boy. He’s playful and kid, he’s cute and adorable; he always likes to hear stories from me. If he’s still alive today, he might be around your age, or older by a year or two. Even until now, I still remember his cute voice chiming like bells into the air when he laughs.” Longing was apparent between his stares. Kyungsoo could feel the sadness he’s trying to hide from everyone.

“What’s his name?” He asked.

Silence.

It took the ahjussi 30 seconds to finally reply, “Park Chanyeol.” His voice lowered at his last word.

The petite boy could feel the tense that suddenly thickening around the older man, “You must miss him a lot, right?”

The old man nods slightly, a small smile that tells just how longing he was to meet his family again, graced upon his lips. “Yeah.” He answered, barely audible.

Kyungsoo’s gaze dropped onto his lap. He doesn’t even know how to lighten the latter’s mood up. But then, he lifted his head up and chuckled a bit, “You know, ahjussi?” He said, “I’ve always wondering if I would be able to grow old happily with my soul mate or ended up being a foul-mouthed elderly who keeps on cussing and acting grumpy all the time. I wonder if I would be like those old people who keep on being mean and unhappy all the time.” Kyungsoo  adverted his gaze towards the older man.

The ahjussi smiled. “Old people are not always happy because of so many reasons, you know?” He said. Kyungsoo give him a confused look, urging him to continue, “We live our lives, having to see our beloved people walk in and out of our lives, having to see how things change from what they used to be, having to live in loneliness when someone we love leaves us. We live our lives only to look forward to the death that could come to us anytime. And on top of all, we live our lives flattering ourselves to mend the pain of the crushed hopes and dreams that we failed to reach. That’s why old people are not always happy.” He said.

Kyungsoo lost his words completely. His heart sank hearing the reply given by the older man. He must be missing his family a lot. Well, who wouldn’t. Being separated with family members for 18 years isn’t a small deal. If your family is dead or disowned you, at least you know you have no more reason to keep on hoping. But in his case, he was left hanging on the cold wall. He doesn’t know whether his family still alive or not. He doesn’t know where they are, what are they doing. He doesn’t know if they’re missing him or had already forgotten about him. He had to live in this kind of loneliness that no one will ever understand.

It took Kyungsoo 2 minutes to finally break the silence, “What if one day you meet them again?” He asked.

The ahjussi lets out a long sigh, “I’d be the happiest old man in this world.

 

 

Baekhyun handed the shorter male a paper with long list of groceries he have to buy along with some amount of money. The short male only pouted and looks at Baekhyun with glossy eyes, “But why didn’t you ask Joonmyun hyung and Kris hyung instead? I can’t possibly carry all of these alone!” He protested.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “They’re nowhere to be found since morning. I have work to do. So?” He smirked. “Now shush! Just get lost already!” He pushed the shorter male out.

Kyungsoo was walking to the supermarket with his mouth busy chanting curses to Baekhyun and Joonmyun. As he arrived, he went through the list with no expression on his face, “Milk, eggs, meat, potatoes, sugar, bread, peanut butter and blah blah blah! Oh goshh! How will I carry all of these later?!” He grunted in annoyance. “Anyways, this is pointless. I’ll just find them first.” He sighed in defeat and starts walking around the supermarket, shopping for the groceries.

15 minutes passed, his cart is already full of groceries, “And lastly, canned tuna.” He slashed the last item listed on it before wandering his eyes around to find it. Turns out, that goddamn canned tuna was placed at the highest part of the canned food shelves. Being short, Kyungsoo had to stand on his tiptoe to reach it, but damn it!

“Why the hell did they always put things at high place?! Why can’t they have consideration for small people a bit?!” He stomped when he failed to reach for it even after standing on tiptoe for minutes. His toes are all hurts because of too much force pressed on it.

Kyungsoo was still too busy grumbling and muttering his I-am-not-happy-with-this cusses when a hand shoved him two cans of tuna. He blinked and looked up, only to be greeted by the sight of an extremely tall guy with bright toothy smile plastered on his face grinning ear to ear. Kyungsoo blushed a little, noticing just close they were.

“You want these, right? Take it.” He said.

God… what the hell is that. His voice is extremely deep and husky as if he’s talking from the deepest part of earth, but sounded somewhat  y to Kyungsoo’s ears. But the fact that the voice is also similar to someone’s voice also leaves Kyungsoo dumbfounded at his spot. Kyungsoo awkwardly nods, taking the cans and blushed deeper shade of red when their hands brushed with each other.

“T-Thank you.” He bows slightly.

The tall man who’s practically towering above him chuckled lightly, “You’re cute.” He said bluntly.

Kyungsoo grinned mentally. Well, who wouldn’t like it when someone (out of nowhere) said you’re cute?  “W-Why, thanks. See you around, mister. Thanks, again.” He bows and smiled at the taller man before turning around to the counter.

The latter chuckled and followed after the smaller male (to pay for his items, duh). Reminiscing how the small male’s big eyes stared right into his, the tall boy just can’t help but smiling widely, heart beating rapidly fast.

‘Oh god! I want to wail and weep and announce to the world that I just meet such a gorgeous hunk today~! I’ll have to thanks Baekhyun hyung later. Oh, he’s standing so close to me.’ Kyungsoo mentally spazzed.

 

After paying, Kyungsoo realized that the taller man was still standing behind him, probably still waiting for items to be scanned. Kyungsoo sighed a little. Struggling to manage himself carrying all of the grocery bags, Kyungsoo lets out a small whimper he almost fell because of the heavy weight. He almost cried, if it wasn’t for a hand to suddenly landed on the bags and took the load away from him. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened when that taller man once again standing right in front of him.

“Need help?” He asked.

Kyungsoo shook his head, trying to be stubborn. “It’s okay, mister.” He then reaches out his hand to snatch the bags back from the stranger, but the latter held it higher on purpose.

The stranger smiled mischievously, “Jeez, I can’t possibly let some kids doing heavy job like this.” He teased, liking the pout that formed on the smaller guy’s lips. “Where do you live?”

Kyungsoo sighed in defeat, “Not that far from here.” He answered, short. Too tired to protest anymore.

They walked side by side with the taller man carrying most of the grocery bags, leaving only one them, which is the lightest one, for Kyungsoo to carry. Awkwardness lingered inside the air between them with neither of them speaks a single word. Just sometimes their hands would brush against each other, sending both of jolting in surprise and blush a little.

“Well, we’re here.” Kyungsoo said, stopping in front of the gate of a big house (almost mansion).

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter