Guardian Angel

Guardian Angel

As Howon cut down another demon, he grimaced, watching its innards spill out before him and spray blood all around. The blade he held in hand glowed bright and hot, a stark contrast to his dark attire. The demon fell, and he unfurled his wings, letting them return to a natural resting state. They were as dark as night, yet as light as the wind, and had been tucked away to make him more efficient at moving on the ground.

He sighed, taking in the carnage he had caused. Dead carcasses were strewn across the cobblestone road, though a heavy fog was beginning to roll in and would soon cover their bodies. They would be gone as soon as the sun rose.

The man sheathed his sword and pushed his hands into his pockets. In his head, he counted off the number of demons that were dead.

15.

16.

17.

...Where was the last one?

On cue, a shrill scream pierced through the cool night air. Immediately he was in the air, his eyes roving constantly for the source of the cry. Then he saw it - the reddish aura that all demons exuded. Without hesitation, he descended on it, his blade burning brightly in his hand.

The demon had you within its grasp when he touched down. You was squirming to get free, kicking and grabbing at whatever you could to liberate herself.

Given the moment, Howon would have had to admit that you were absolutely stunning. If sweat didn't mat your face and make your hair cling to your skin, and if you weren't making such desperate and contorted faces, you would've have been beautiful.

"What the hell are you doing?" you screeched at him. "Help me!"

That was enough to snap him out of his daze. Had he had the time, he would've been berating himself for staring while you were in distress.

He lunged forward, his glowing blade pointed straight for the demon. The thing saw, and let go of the you without a second thought. It jumped backwards to avoid the blade while you fell to your knees, gasping for air and holding your throbbing side.

Howon continued to pursue it, backing it up into a wall. Once it knew it was cornered, it hissed and bared its fangs in a vain attempt to scare its pursuer. "You're going to have to try harder than that," he sighed disdainfully. He drove his sword home, ignoring the bloodcurdling scream right in his ear and the blood that spurted in his face. There was 18.

 You turned your head painfully when you heard his shoes scuff on the ground. "Is it dead?"

He nodded and sheathed his sword. "Are you alright?"

A cynical laugh escaped your lips. "If being attacked by a demon and surviving counts as being alright, then I'm just dandy." You winced as you stood up, holding your bruised side and taking deep and slow breaths to try and regulate the pain.

Howon nodded, watching you carefully. Suddenly, he thought of something, something that struck him as unusual and strange. "Wait, you can see me?"

You stared at him as if he were stupid. "Of course I can. And I can see those - those things, too."

Ah, so she had the Eyes. The ones that would let her see what others couldn't ever hope to imagine.

"Thanks for saving me," she mumbled. Slowly, she turned and held out her hand to introduce herself. "You came just in time."

The man could only stare. "You aren't scared? Of that thing? Of me?"

You let your hand fall to your side, a little miffed that he didn't return your gesture. "I was scared of that demon, of course. But you, no. I can see that you're not as dark and brooding as you look."

"Dark and brooding?"

Your eyebrow quirked up slightly and you looked pointedly at his attire. Black shirt, black pants, black boots, black wings, black hair. The only thing that wasn't black was his skin.

Howon caught your gaze, looked down, and then laughed slightly. "I guess I see what you mean now."

You laughed at his reaction. He was cute and not at all what he seemed. "Mm, thanks again," you smiled. "I should probably go n - "

Out of nowhere, an unearthly screaming echoed throughout the city. You froze, your heart jumping up into your throat and the hairs on your arms and neck prickling upward.

"I hope that wasn't what I think it was," Howon muttered quietly.

"And what were you hoping it wouldn't be?" you inquired quietly, looking around warily and drawing close to the man.

"Their mommy."

Again the screaming rung out, sending chills up your back. You could feel the man tense beside you, and you heard his sword being unsheathed.

The screaming sounded as if it was getting closer. Every instinct warned you to run, but you found your feet somehow glued to the ground.

Howon turned to you. "Do you trust me?"

"What?"

"I know we just met, but do you trust me?"

"I - well -"

"Just kidding, you don't have a choice. Hold on."

"Wait w - "

You screamed as he grabbed you by the waist and hoisted you into the air. You heard his great black wings beat beside you, lifting you higher and higher with each passing second. Fearfully, you clutched at him, making sure that you would have a secure hold on him even if he were to let you go.

Howon flew towards the tallest bell tower, hoping he could get you to safety. After dropping you off, he could deal with the demon and come back to get you.

"How are you doing?" he asked, focusing and praying he would make it to his destination.

You, on the other hand, couldn't stop your hands from shaking. You were freaking out completely, your stomach was turning upside down, and you had forgotten to mention your acrophobia. "I - I'm doing fine," you replied. "Nothing I couldn't - oh bloody hell, watch out!"

A large black tentacle came from the sea of buildings below and was about to come crashing down on the two of you. Howon turned his head a second too late and the appendage was already wrapped around the two of you.

You let out an agonized scream, your body lighting up with pain. Howon merely grunted. As an Angel, he was practically indestructible, but you weren't. You were guaranteed to have fractured bones after this.

At this point, you were gasping for air. The thing was crushing you so tightly to the man beside you that you didn't have room to breathe. Howon saw this, and he struggled to wrench himself free. "Hold on, okay?" he yelled, seeing that you were about to pass out. "Don't die on me!"

Confusion was dominant in your dazed state. You had no idea what was going on. You heard yelling and roaring, and your head felt so light. Then there was some bright light that pretty much blinded you, and the next thing you knew, you were freefalling.

"Dammit," Howon cursed. He hadn't meant to let you fall.

Slashing at the tentacle that jabbed at him, he dove for you, making himself as streamlined as possible to catch up with you. Behind, he could feel the monster chasing him. I won't make it, he thought, fear flooding his system. Even though he reached for you, you seemed so far away.

You, on the other hand, were beginning to regain your senses. When you realized what was going on, you let out a shrill cry and shut your eyes. But then you heard someone calling you, and when you opened them again, you saw the angel from before reaching for you. Desperately, you stretched out for him. When his hand touched yours, a sense of warmth and safety surrounded you, and you were soon in his arms.

Howon held you close and veered sharply to the right, narrowly missing the edge of a skyscraper. He circled back to the bell tower he wanted and set you inside.

"Holy crap," you said breathlessly. "I could've died!"

The man nodded and peaked his head over the balcony to check for any sign of demon.

"God, what the hell were you thinking?" you complained. "Taking me up there like that and then - dropping me!"

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Look, I know, I'm sorry, but - "

"Sorry? I probably lost fifteen years of my life! Sorry is not going to - "

You saw him put a finger to your forehead and you were suddenly unconscious.

----

When you came to, the bright afternoon light was filtering into your bedroom window. You blinked away the drowsiness and looked around. Had you been dreaming? The demon? The angel? Were they real?

"How are you feeling?"

You jumped at the voice. It was familiar. Very familiar.

Howon stood in the doorway and watched as you stared at him with confused eyes.

"Oh God," she whispered. "I wasn't dreaming."

He smiled. "No, you're not."

"W-who are you?"

Slowly, as if approaching a scared child, he sat down on the edge of your bed. "Howon. Your guardian angel."