3AM

3AM

It didn't really surprise you when Woohyun showed up at your door at three in the morning. It also didn't surprise you that he simply let himself in. But what did surprise you was the tears in his eyes.

"I'm assuming she broke up with you?" Your question came out more like a statement, your voice quiet and indifferent.

He nodded. "She said she couldn't do it anymore," he croaked. "And that I didn't pay enough attention to her."

You bit the inside of your cheek. Just who did he decide to go out with? They obviously didn't understand that he was busy and couldn't always be around them. He still had a life to live that didn't always revolve around them.

Shoving these thoughts aside, you gestured to the couch for him to sit. "I'll get some hot chocolate for you," you mumbled.

You put the cup of milk into the microwave, set it for a minute and twenty seconds, and breathed out a heavy sigh. It was still a mystery to you as to how Woohyun chose his girlfriends. They all had pretty faces, but horrid personalities. Why couldn't he just find someone right for him? If it were you -

You shook your head. There was no way he would want to date you. You were his best friend. You were there to help him stand back up, not push him down.

The reflection of yourself in the window caught your eye and made you look at yourself. You weren't pretty. You weren't anything special. There was no shining aspect for yourself that you would deem attractive.

The beeping of the microwave caught your attention. You took the steaming cup out, poured the mix in, and took it out to the person waiting for you.

Woohyun wiped at his nose and smiled gratefully at you. "Thanks."

It was quiet between you two, and it was normal. This always happened. Woohyun would get with someone, be dumped, then come to you for comfort.

At first you didn't mind, but then it started to become more frequent, and you were getting annoyed. Not because of Woohyun, but because of the girls who were throwing away such an amazing person. The way he smiled, laughed, showed his grease as affection, cooked, slept, everything - it all made him such a wonderful being. And you would be -

Again, you shook your head. You promised you wouldn't think that. If you wanted to keep this friendship, you'd have to keep your mouth shut.

"What are you thinking of?" Woohyun suddenly asked. He was looking at you intently and unnerved you.

"Me? I'm not thinking of much. Just why she decided to call it off at three in the morning."

The man laughed, rubbing his thumb back and forth over the side of the cup. "Yeah...she must have thought about it for a long while."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I guess this is normal."

"There's nothing exactly normal about going through heartbreak this often."

"Well, if you've been me, then you would know what I'm talking about."

"What?"

"Nothing, forget I said anything."

The silence continued. You sat with him until you saw the sky lighting up. At that point, you stood up and stretched. "You should probably get going."

At your words, his face fell. "Do I have to?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Is it alright if I sleep over for tonight?"

You froze. Sleep over. The term repeated itself so many times in your head. Woohyun hadn't asked to sleep over in ages. At least, not since he debuted with Infinite.

"Uh, sure," you replied. "I don't know how comfortable this couch would be, but -"

"I can't share a bed?"

God, you hated how innocent he looked. He only had intentions of sleeping while you had so many other thoughts running through your mind.

"Woohyun, we're not five here."

"But this would be like old times."

You would regret this. You would regret saying yes. But you did it anyways. Some sane part of your mind screamed for you to just tell him to go home. That way you wouldn't be hurting as much as you did right then and there.

The bed shifted with his weight and you readjusted yourself so that there was substantial space between the two of you. You waited until you thought Woohyun was asleep before even daring to take a look at him.

He was closer than expected. You could feel the heat from him beneath the sheets as well as your heart being sent into overdrive. Having him so close to you hurt. The space between you may have been ten inches, but to you, it felt like ten thousand leagues. He was so far away.

Your eyes traced the outline of his eyes, nose, lips, and jaw. You traced them for who knows how long before being forced to turn away. Looking at him hurt your heart.

Eventually, you your side, away from him. You didn't want to feel like this anymore. You prayed that when you woke up, he'd be gone so that you wouldn't have to feel so hurt.

Extra:

Woohyun opened his eyes when you turned away. He looked at your back and held back a sigh. All he wanted to do was hold you. That's all he wanted. But he couldn't. He wouldn't risk you.

Being an idol limited him. He didn't want to date you because he didn't want you to go through the mental trauma that was evident in the world. In addition to that, he didn't want to jeopardize the friendship he had with you. Being this close - if he ruined it by dating you, he wouldn't know what to do with himself.

So he would just stay close to you like this. This was the best he could do. Keeping you safe and keeping you close. This was all he could do.