If One's Missing...

Markers

I am white.  White's the best color ever.  I am the foundation of all other punk colors.  I lead them all.  I am everywhere, I am purest of them all.  It doesn't matter if I am not recognized as a color.  In the end, it's all irrelevant.  I am Park Jungsoo and I am white.

 

I am red.  Red's the flashiest and hottest color ever, making it the best.  I am the color people think of when someone is burning hot and looking y and divaish.  I am the color of love and that is perfection.  I am Kim Heechul and I am red.

 

I am gray.  I am a stable color that is looked upon as a sign of maturity.  I am a color that is often unnoticed, but am also recognized as a color of hardships.  However, I am one who sticks it out and gives it my best no matter what.  I am Han Geng and I am gray.

 

I am indigo.  I am a blend of two deeply emotional colors.  The mixture of calmness and passion combined together to make me who I am.  I too am often overlooked, but when noticed, I will entrance you with my beauty.  I am Kim Jongwoon and I am indigo.

 

I am brown.  I am often looked upon as a dirty and ugly color, but in reality, I am a color of nature.  I am a natural and down to earth color, and that's what makes me perfect.  I may be the color of , but I am also the color of a cuddly teddy bear.  I am Kim Youngwoon and I am brown.

 

I am orange.  I am often seen as a childish, but fresh color that emits vibrant emotions wherever I go.  I am a color that is often overlooked and underrated.  Despite this, I manage to stand out with my own fresh, citrusy looks.  I am Shin Dong Hee and I am orange.

 

I am pink.  I am often looked down upon for being an overly feminine color, but rest assured, I am powerful.  I am also a color that represents love and friendship, which are two of the most powerful things ever.  I am Lee Sungmin and I am pink.

 

I am green.  I am a powerful color, representing things like life and money.  I am the color that has it all, right?  Sometimes.  Sometimes, I represent envy.  Maybe sometimes, I'd like to be different.  It doesn't matter, though, because when it comes down to it, I am the most powerful.  I am Lee Hyukjae and I am green.

 

I am burgundy.  I am a calm, cool, and collected color that is regal and high class in nature.  My warmth can always make others feel beautiful, and that is what makes me happy.  I am mature and will be able to stand up no matter how many times you may push me down.  I am Zhou Mi and I am burgundy.

 

I am teal.  I am a color that is a mixture of two powerful colors.  I am a childish looking color that is the mixture of plants and water.  I am the full cycle in one.  I am a complete package.  However, I can't ever be alone.  I need green and blue.  I am Lee Donghae and I am teal.

 

I am blue.  I am often looked upon as an overrated color that little boys all love.  I am a soothing and masculine color that is looked as a cool, serene color.  I represent large masses of water and this makes me powerful like God.  I am Choi Siwon and I am blue.

 

I am yellow.  I am a bright and childish color that can bring a smile to anyone and everyone.  I am the color of sunshine, and I make sure to feed nature with the rays of my light.  I hold lots of responsibility, but I am looked upon as forever young.  I am Kim Ryeowook and I am yellow.

 

I am beige.  I am a raw and natural color.  I am a color that is often overlooked due to my barely noticeable tone, but rest assured, I will bring out the natural beauty in you.  I don't particularly mind that I'm hidden in the shadows, because I am powerful all-around.  I am Kim Kibum and I am beige.

 

I am violet.  I am a color of utmost wealth and sophistication.  Despite what anyone says, I am a powerful color.  One could say I am the king of colors.  I also can be seen as luxurious and arrogant, but it's okay.  I'm mysterious for a reason.  I am Cho Kyuhyun and I am violet.

 

I am gold.  I am the color of all winning things.  I am often seen as a disliked color, but everyone still strives to want me.  I am an all-around beauty.  I stand powerful alone, because I am the best color.  I am Henry Lau and I am gold.

 

--

 

As a class of second grade students entered the room, their teacher instructed them to work as a team to draw a beautiful poster to show their parents at their open house later that night.  She handed them a blank white canvas to work with.

 

Quickly, all the boys reached for the blue marker.

 

I told you I'm the best.

 

Quickly, all the girls reached for the pink marker.

 

Hahaha Sungmin, you're such a girl!

 

One by one, colors started to be picked to add to the beautiful poster.  Yellow for the sun, green for the grass.  Purple and red for the flowers and teal for the rain drops falling from the gray skies above.  A child who had once seen an expensive bird at the pet store had even insisted on drawing a burgundy colored parrot on the shoulder of a beige colored man and woman couple.  The man was clad in a burgundy suit, while the woman wore a white and pink sundress.

 

Uwaaah, these kids are so talented!

 

One student then suggested drawing a rainbow over the skies above.

 

"ROYGBIV!" one student shouted loudly, proudly exclaiming that he learned the colors of the rainbow were broken down into seven parts.  These seven colors were then used, some even used over and over again. 

 

One by one, the beautiful colors started to decorate the poster.  Colors disappearing one by one from the markers box.

 

"Hey, what about a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?" one student suggested, being praised upon suggesting a wonderful idea.  "We'll need black for the pot too!"

 

As color by color was removed from the box, two remained in the end: white and brown.  Jungsoo watched in awe as his box buddies were all being used to create a beautiful piece of artwork.  On the other hand, however, Youngwoon stared sadly as he was once again the overlooked brown.

 

Why am I never picked?

 

Jungsoo felt the gloomy emotions emitting Youngwoon.

 

Youngwoon-ah!  It takes a special person to recognize how amazing you are.

 

Jungsoo peeked outside the box and noticed a little girl sitting on the side, not helping out at all.  As the vibrant red bell rang for recess to begin, the class full of noisy second graders all ran out the room, down the halls, and onto the bright green field of grass.  All, but that one little girl.

 

The little girl walked slowly to the poster that she had played no part in creating, and glanced over at the box of markers.

 

As the teacher was about to hang up the completed poster, the little girl interrupted.

 

"Omo!  The picture is not done yet, Mrs. Kwon!" the little girl spoke, barely above a whisper.  She held up the box of markers and stated, "Not all the colors are used!  Can I help?"

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled at the little second grader and placed the poster back down onto the table for her to finish working on the art piece.

 

--

 

"Welcome, parents of my second grade class.  My name is Mrs. Kwon and this is the room your students will be spending the next school year in.  It is a pleasure to meet you all."

 

Mrs. Kwon allowed for the students to give their parents a tour of the classroom.  Some students had their parents dress up in the theater center, while others had their parents imitate doing their daily bell work at their desks.  After about fifteen minutes, Mrs. Kwon raised her hand silently to gain the students' attention.

 

"Finally, the students of my second grade class would like to present you with a beautiful poster."  Mrs. Kwon unraveled the poster, revealing a beautiful, scenic portrait.

 

"I drew the bird!" one child shouted.

 

"I drew the rainbow with my friends!"

 

"I drew the pot of gold because everybody said it was a good idea!"

 

"I drew the pretty flowers.  It's my favorite colors, see?"

 

"I drew the people!"

 

"I drew the clouds and rain drops!"

 

The children were getting quite rowdy at this point.  Mrs. Kwon glanced over to a certain little second grade student of hers, who sat by her parents in silence.  She chuckled lightly to herself, as she wandered over to the confused couple, wondering why their child didn't state what piece of art on the poster was hers.

 

"Mijung," Mrs. Kwon smiled, "Did you tell your eomma and appa what you drew?"

 

Mijung shook her head shyly.

 

"Why don't you tell them?" Mrs. Kwon smiled at her parents, giving them a reassuring look.

 

"I colored in the dirt."

 

Mijung's parents looked confused.  Why on earth would a seven-year-old little girl even want to color with brown?  "Honey, why did you color with brown?  Don't you like pink?  Or what about the violet over there!  Pink and violet could have made a pretty butterfly!" Mijung's mother explained.

 

"I didn't want to."

 

"Why not, sweetie?" Mijung's father interjected.  He abruptly stopped speaking, realizing that he didn't exactly want to hurt his daughter's feelings.

 

"The brown marker looked all alone," Mijung protested, "Well, the brown marker was with the white one.  But there was no brown in the drawing.  At least the poster is white!  How would brown feel if there was no brown in such a colorful poster?"

 

"Well, Mijung-ah, brown isn't exactly the prettiest color," Mijung's father smiled lightly.

 

"Brown is a pretty color to me," Mijung whined, "It's the color of dirt.  If there is no dirt, there is no grass and flowers and plants!  If there are no plants, how will the birds drink from the flowers?  Besides, beige isn't anyone's favorite color, but it is the color of our skin, see?" Mijung spoke.  "If we didn't have all these colors, something would be missing.  All of these colors needed to be on the poster.  Even the white from the paper is there!"

 

Mijung ended her rant out of breath, only to look up at two surprised parents.

 

"Mijung is currently one of the smartest students in my class," Mrs. Kwon added, breaking the silence.  "I think you can see why."  Mijung's teacher patted her student's back a few times before walking around to greet other parents.

 

Mijung walked her parents over to the art center, near a familiar box of markers.  She dumped all fifteen colors out of the box and began writing in English.

 

I YOU MOM AND DAD!