The Perfect Kiss

Ma's Blender

Early for once, I nestled myself comfortably in a vacant seat, piling down the day’s works and edited notes neatly on one side before sipping on rushed breakfast. 

I had gotten up two hours earlier than usual, giving me ample time to dress like an actual honor student instead of the heavily scarfed hobo rushing to class every morning.

I even managed to squeeze in a morning jog and a thirty minute meditation session in there somewhere. A very productive morning, if I do say so myself.

Drink in hand, my hold lingered a second longer, enjoying the warmth emanating from the thin cup as it thawed my frigid fingers to life.

I sighed in contentment when the soothing liquid finally touched my lips, chapped texture slowly smoothing over with warm moisture.

Yup, today is going to be the perfect day.

Before I could enjoy a second sip, I felt a whisper near my ear that had me almost choking on my coffee, disrupting any semblance of Zen I had just gathered.

I briskly turned in my seat in response, accusingly, at the familiar face just behind me.

Did she just say that to me?

My surprise intensified when I saw bleached blonde hair strewn about, barely held together in a messy bun, working a look quite opposite from her fashionista persona.

Bare faced and baggy clothes. Her shoes weren't even matching her purse. Good God, this was serious. Despite it all, the messy presentation did little to hinder that radiant smile.

'As always', I heard a deeper subconscious that I've been repressing add. I visibly frowned at the thought.

"Sorry?", I recovered, calmly feigning confusion as if I hadn't just gawked at her scandalous demand.

“I said, I want to give you a kiss”, she confidently repeated, utterly unfazed and unabashed. 

With a sentence, she tossed my inner peace out the window, replacing it with chaos and fire instead. The hot beverage I consumed earlier now seemed arctic in comparison to the blaze I'm feeling in my cheeks.

I just continued to stare at her like she'd lost her damn mind. Or maybe it was me who'd just lost it.

"Well, don't get too excited now", she laughed at what probably looked like the stupidest expression I had ever donned.

"Here, I'll give it to you now."

She leaned forward and my brain automatically went haywire. I fought off the overwhelming urge to overreact, to flail and kick a desk and send it flying towards that guy napping soundly beside us.

Sweet, light and cute. Not necessarily the kind of kiss I had in mind but the gesture still had the same effect.

"I'm leading the lecture today. This is the reward for paying attention. Good incentive, right?"

I looked at the tiny piece of chocolate decorating my desk.

A kiss.

A Hersey's kiss.

I really wondered if she was just utterly oblivious, that this was just a by-product of her self-assured personality, or if she actually sensed my incurable attraction to women who unknowingly intimidate me. Maybe she was just a big tease.

"...A little sugar does help", I shrugged dismissively, not entirely upset when I popped the candy in my mouth.

"I knew you'd like it. Pay attention, okay? Maybe you'll get a little more sugar from me."

Food for thought.

Well, it was still the perfect day.