PARANOID

PARANOID [one-shot]

 

PARANOID

 

I got up at around 3.50 that morning. I know... it’s still early, but I have to have my morning jog, and I have to be at work at 7 am. I’m kind of a health buff. I wore my purple lace tracksuit, inspired by Hyun Bin’s from Secret Garden. I grabbed my coin purse and stuffed it in the back pocket of my track suit. And since it’s too early in the morning, I need something to protect myself. So, I took my keys with a mini pepper spray, and placed it in my front pocket... nothing bad in trying to protect yourself right?

 So, I got out of my apartment and stretched by the gate, I don’t mind people seeing me, but, subconsciously I know no one is around at this time in the morning, its friggin’ 4am! So, I began to stretch, minding my own business, when I saw a car pull up to my apartment complex, I didn’t mind it, I went on with my stretching. I was waiting for someone to come out of the car, but the driver didn’t come out. But yeah…Who cares. Right? I went on with my business, and then I started to jog away from the apartment complex. Then I heard the car door open, I just shrugged it off and jogged more.

 I was jogging along the street when I heard some ruffling behind me.  ‘Those are just cats.’ I assured myself. Then, I carried on. I passed by a curb I was about to turn left, when I saw from my peripheral vision a dark figure, approaching me. I got scared, it’s the friggin’ dawn! And this place isn’t really the safest place on earth. So, I picked up my pace.

The next thing I knew, I was jogging through another street, I am so stupid not considering if the street I went into is well lighted. I continued my jog; then again, I heard ruffling sounds behind me. My eyes widened in fear. I tried to look behind, trying my best to act that I know that someone was following me. I saw the dark figure; I presume it’s a man, ‘coz of the wide shoulders. That gave me more fear. He’s now closer to me. OMG!!!! He’s following me!!!

My heart began to pound harder; this is scaring the hell out of me. Though I am already sweating from my jog, I can feel cold sweat beading on my forehead. So I placed my hand inside my pocket, where my pepper spray is. I clenched it tight; I could feel my hands are getting cold from my grip. But I don’t mind. I could hear the footsteps behind me. It’s getting louder; I guess the man is now also jogging to me, following my pace.

So, to save myself I began to run. I am now running. I heard the man’s footsteps rumbling, I looked back he’s now also running after me. Then I saw an intersection. I turned right to the intersection; I can hear the man’s footsteps still, but a little faint. ‘Maybe he lost me and decided not to follow me anymore.’ I thought to myself. So I loosened up my pace. But still, I’m running. Then again, I heard his footsteps. My eyes widened again in fear. I ran faster, I saw another intersection, I turned right.

I ran the hell out of my . Only to see that the corner I turned into is a dead end. There’s a wall at the end of the road. I touched the wall, looking for something to grab on to jump over it. I heard the man’s footsteps coming closer. It got louder, I panicked. I took out my mini pepper spray and held it out. I heard his footsteps, so I turned around. I faced the man; he’s now walking slowly towards me. He’s wearing a black coat, a scarf that covers the half of his face. All I could see is his eyes.

He came closer. I screamed, “DON’T YOU DARE COME NEAR ME! I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY.” I raised the pepper spray. He still came closer. “I’m warning you! Don’t come any closer! And I am really going to use this!!!” I screamed again. The man began to walk towards me. I got stupefied for some reason. When he was about a meter away from me I screamed, “I told you I was going to use this!!!” I stretched my arms towards the man and pressed the nozzle of my pepper spray onto the man’s eyes. The man screamed in pain as he placed his hands on his eyes. “AAAAARRRRHGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!” His scarf fell on the ground. Then, the man spoke again, “I WAS JUST GOING TO GIVE YOU YOUR WALLET!” he screamed at me as he reached for my wallet from his pocket. I reached for my back pocket to find that my wallet was missing.

I let my guard down, “Huh?” I was dumbstruck. He came forward to hand me my wallet. Then, I saw his face. I recognize that face. I observed his face His eyes, were irritated, red, and watery from the pepper spray. Still, I recognized him! I gasped. I pointed out to him. “Oh.My.God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I screamed. He stood straighter. I had a clearer view of him. “Oh. My. God.” I repeated. He tried blinking his eyes. To get accustomed to the pain he’s feeling. He looked at me.

“OMG!!! You’re Park Yoochun!!!!!!” I screamed. I felt the blood rush out of my face… He smirked. “I’m so sorry!” I bowed down to him!

“No. It’s my fault. I should have called your attention, instead of following you.”

I came closer to him. “I’m really, really, really sorry. I was just paranoid.” I said while I scratched my head. He smiled at me. “No one can blame you. You’re a lady, and someone was following you at this time of the day. It’s understandable to have your guard up right?” I nodded.

“I’m really, really, really sorry… about your eyes.” I repeated my apologies. “I really feel guilty.”I mumbled and I pouted, as I looked at the ground.

Would it lessen your guilt if you’d help me walk back to the apartment? I think my eyes are beginning to fail me.” He replied, as he came closer to me and anchored his arms on mine. I obliged, as I really felt guilty. "Love your track suit by the way. I watched Secret Garden too." he said. I blushed at his compliment.  

We began to walk back to the apartment. We walked in silence, I found nothing for us to talk about, and aside from the “sorry” I’d tell him. I would like to tell him more of my obsession with secret garden but... i changed my mind. 

And then, he spoke, “Would you care for some breakfast and coffee perhaps?” I looked at him, with wide eyes. “I just got from a concert, and right now, I am really hungry. Would you like to join me?” he asked.

 My eyes, grew big, my jaws flew open. “It would be a good pay back if you’d have breakfast with me.” He continued.

I straightened up myself, and took a deep breath, I closed my eyes, as I took all the courage that I have and said with a bright smile, “Would it be a better pay back if I make you breakfast?” I asked him.  “I’m a chef, Mr. Park, would you like me to make you a gourmet breakfast?” I said.

He flashed me his pearly whites and said, “Yoochun, call me Yoochun. I’d love it if you’d make me breakfast…and it would be better if you tell me your name.”

“I am Kim Minhee.” I replied to him and held out my hand, for us to shake.

“Well, Chef Minhee, I’d love to eat your food. And I am looking forward to it.”

“I hope you’re not allergic to eggs or anything.” I said to him hoping that he isn’t, and looking at him closely.

He gave me another smile and said, “I do not have any food allergies. Thank you for your concern. What are you planning to make me?”

I smiled, and happily said, “Would you care for some Baked Eggs with Bacon and Spinach?” And we went inside my apartment.

He smiled. and said. "I'd love to. "

~fin~