The Tale of Sungjong

The Tale of Sungjong
"Eww twincest..."
 
"Shut up I don't mean it like that!!"
 
"What else do you mean then? You just totally asked me out on a date!"
 
"I don't mean date date... It's more like a practice date" Sungjong sigh trying to explain.
 
"Look, I know you're desperate..."
 
"I'M NOT DESPERATE!"
 
Soojin gives him the "are you kidding me" look.
 
"Fine maybe I am a bit. But trust me this will be good for the both of us. You've never been on a date either."
 
"I'm not desperate though."
 
"I know, just. Do this for me okay? I'm curious"
 
"No you're not. You're desperate."
 
"Come on we've done weirder things before..." Sungjong feel a slight relief as Soojin seem to be considering his words. "Lets just try this out for fun!"
 
"But it's just so desperate..."
 
"STOP SAYING THAT DAMMIT"
 
"WELL YOU ARE DESPERATE."
 
"I KNOW THAT!" Soojin looks a bit taken aback, not expecting Sungjong to conform. Sungjong leans back on the bed and let out a deep breath. " I just... I just... I don't know, I just thought if we do this then maybe it'll make me look more..."
 
"Manly?"
 
Sungjong shrug his shoulders. Soojin frowns.
 
"Look haven't you learn anything from Disney movies?" Sungjong rolled his eyes and yet Soojin continued with her lecture complete with the wise old man voice. "You will only achive true happiness if you be yourself. Only then you will have your happy ending..."
 
"I am being myself! I'm a manly man who's asking a beautiful girl on a date." Sungjong stomp his foot.
 
"Pffft manly?... Hey, wait a second did you just call me beautiful?"
 
"We're twins..." Of course Soojin should've known Sungjong is too much of a diva to compliment anyone.
 
"You can't be beautiful and manly at the same time."
 
"And why not?"
 
"Well because... Because..." Soojin panic to the thought of losing an argument with her twin, but she really can't think of anything. Sungjong just smiles superiorly and pat her shoulder.
 
"Well we're both free on Friday, I guess it's a date"
 
------------
Soojin bit her lips trying so hard to control her laughter at the comical scene of Sungjong going out of their front door, around the block, then back to their door to ring the doorbell. He thought this will make it feel more like a "normal" date where he has to pick up the girl.
 
Soojin answered the door to Sungjong holding a rose. 
 
"Hi Soojin, you look nice."
 
"I'm wearing your clothes..." Sungjong has insisted that earlier. 
 
"Shut up. Just play along." Sungjong gritted through his teeth. Soojin just rolled her eyes. She then stared at the rose Sungjong is holding.
 
"Did you take that flower from mrs. Olsen's yard?"
 
".... maybe...."
 
"You are in so much trouble young man." 
 
At this, Sungjong breaks down.
 
"Gosh she won't notice anyway. It's hasn't even started yet and you already manage to ruin my first date!"
 
"I never agreed to this date anyway."
 
"Well too bad we're going." He grabbed her wrist and drag her to the street.
 
"How gentlemanly." Soojin sarcastically points out.
 
"Hey at least this works on Korean dramas." Sungjong grins. "Anyway we're going bowling, if you're wondering."
 
"What. Whyy?" Soojin pouts. "That is so not romantic. Where do you get that date idea anyway? From Justin Bieber's music video?"
 
Sungjon restrains himself from answering. He doesn't want to ruin their date even more. He honestly wants to make this work. As much as he is a firm believer of a romantic happily ever after, he is also a believer in perfection and  preparation. When one day he find his love, he wants it to be absolutely perfect. He wants to be the perfect manly man who knows what he's doing. Therefore Sungjong decided to do what he always does to get an absolutely perfect mark in school. He studies and prepare.
 
Sungjong started to study his twin. It seems like girls does not enjoy being dragged by their wrists. Sungjong move his hand lower and grab the palm of her hand. He slows down his pace to match hers so that they are walking side by side. There you go. Sungjong is so proud that he can notice these things, he must be a wonderful date. He looks up to Soojin for confirmation. However she just looked embarrassed and uncomfortable. Sungjong realized he has forgotten that he's her brother. What can be more awkward than holding hands with your brother? He guesses taking Soojin out for a date wasn't the perfect preparation he had in mind.
 
"So... we're here." Soojin coughed out awkwardly. 
 
"Yeah, let's go inside."
 
"No wait." Soojin quickly shoved his hands away. She looks around making sure there is no one they know. She will die if there is someone from their school. She then peeks inside the building. Sungjong crosses his arms in annoyance.
 
"Come on. If someone find us together they probably just thought we're hanging out as usual."
 
"Not if you keep holding my hand. That is just way too weird."
 
"No it's not. It's quite normal. Just try to act normally and no one will notice."
 
"But how can I act normal? Your hand is cold." Sungjong just sigh at the whingy Soojin. But he then hooks his arm to hers instead of holding her hand.
 
They then went inside and booked a bowling alley. It suddenly occurred to Sungjong how awkward a date will be if they hire a whole bowling alley just for the two of them. Isn't this something you usually do with a group of friends? Sungjong mentally cross of bowling from his future date list. At least him and Soojini are used to go bowling just by themselves so it's alright for this date.
 
The bowling proceed uneventfully. Usually Sungjong will get competitive and it will all end up with them fighting about who has cheated. But being the gentleman on the date Sungjong tries to be more thoughtful. He clapped whenever Soojin bowled, pats her on the back, telling her that she's great. It just makes Soojin uncomfortable. She just silently bowls hoping this date will end quickly. She then hears a high pitch squeal from the bowling Sungjong.
 
"I broke a nail..." Sungjong said sadly examining his nail.
 
That's when Soojin burst out laughing. Sungjong gives a her a diva like glare. He then grab a pillow from a nearby sofa and started hitting her. This just made her laugh harder. And the scene continues. 
 
Unbeknown to them that had just caught the attention of the part time worker behind the counter, who started to watch them suspiciously.
 
-----------
"That was hilarious."
 
"Shut up."
 
"That was very manly of you"
 
"Shut up"
 
"I can just imagine how your future relationship will be like."
 
"Shut up."
 
"Jagiya I'm sorry I can't carry the groceries, I broke my nail."
 
"Shut up" Sungjong sighs, annoyed. Another mistake to his perfectly planned date preparation. "Anyway I'm hungry. Let's go eat."
 
Sungjong is determined not to make a mistake this time. He hold her hand again, not caring that she flinch awkwardly, lead her to the food court, and order her food.
 
"Hey you should ask what I want before ordering."
 
"Why? I know you just want potato cakes and calamari."
 
"Yeah, but I thought I'm your date. What if your future dates doesn't like potato cakes and calamari." For once Soojin made sense. Sungjong cursed as he realize he made another mistake.
 
"Well Soojin, what would you like to eat darling?" Says the exaggerating Sungjong.
 
Soojin pretended to search the menu. "Oppa I would like chicken... No wait fish and chips... No wait maybe just the fish... No wait they have noodles as well... No wait there's a fish burger... No wait.."
 
"How about the potato cakes and calamari darling?" Again Sungjong said through his gritted teeth.
 
"Wonderful idea oppa, you know me so well." She fluttered her eyelids and this time it's Sungjong's turn to roll his eyes. "Oh and I would like ice cream as well."
 
"Sure." Sungjong sighs and take out his wallet.
 
Meanwhile, behind the counter Hoya is calling Sungyeol.
 
"I'm serious! They're on a date! No this is not normal, trust me! He was calling her darling, she called him oppa. Yes I know he's her brother but still, she never calls him that before. Beside I think she's the older one. And get this, they were holding hands! I thought they're on a dare or something but it's just the two of them. I've always thought he doesn't have a girlfriend cause he's gay... Uh what? He kinda look like he is though, anyway this is just too weird maybe he has a brother complex or something, I'm pretty sure it's illegal. No I'm not joking! Look I'm filming them right now with my iPod. If you don't believe me just come and see for yourself..."
 
------------
Sungjong played around with his fish and chips depressedly. He guesses he just has to accept the fact that he is not the perfect manly gentleman no matter how hard he tries.
 
"Hey stop looking so pathetic." Soojin said, quite apologetically, she kinda feel sorry that she ruined her brother's well anticipated first date. "I'm sorry okay."
 
"For what?"
 
"I dunno. You just look pathetic I feel like I have to apologize." Sungjong sighs.
 
"I'm not supposed to look pathetic, I'm supposed to look manly." This time Soojin didn't laugh or . She guessed her twin's masculinity will always be his complex. She reached out and touch his hand on the table. 
 
"Hey don't give up yet. The date is still not over! You still have to walk me home... Like a man!" Sungjong giggled. Despite the constant fighting, Sungjong sure is glad he has a sister like Soojin. 
 
He then notices the bit of ice cream on the side of . Usually Soojin is a really neat eater, Sungjong guessed she must have done this on purpose so he has a chance to be the gentleman once more. He then grab a napkin and wipe , when suddenly...
 
"Ohmigod so it is true!" Sungyeol was standing in front of them. The twins both freeze, not knowing how to react. Sungjong realize their position, her hand holding his, and him still holding the napkin from wiping . 
 
"Ohmigod he was right! Why don't you tell me Sungjongie I thought we're friends!" Sungjong is still frozen his mouth slightly open and he slightly rolled his eyes to the similarly faced Soojin. 
 
"No this is not what it looks like..." Soojin found her voice first. However Sungyeol didn't seem to notice.
 
"I would have understood I promise! I mean sure, it's illegal. And it is a bit weird since you both have the same face, isn't it like dating a mirror?"
 
"Uh... Sungyeol hyung..." Sungjong started only to be cut off by his hyung.
 
"But I understand I promise. It doesn't matter who you like I'll still be your friend." Sungyeol bit his lips silently. Ignoring that somehow that statement bring some sort of pain to his chest. "I'll just tell Howon to back off and leave you guys alone."
 
"What! Hoya is here?" Soojin manage to come back to her senses enough just to panic.
 
"Uh yeah, he's the one who called me, said something about filming with his iPod."
 
"WHAT!" Both twins shouted and started looking around. They both spotted a suspicious looking person behind the food counter. 
 
"Ohmigod that's him!" Sungjong squeals.
 
"Quick we have to grab the iPod!" Soojin ran off, followed by Sungjong to surround the counter. She knows Hoya is quite a fast runner, but being behind the counter might just give them an advantage over him. Soojin quickly spotted him and his iPod. She quickly search for a door or an entrance to the counter. But before she knew it. Hoya leaps out of the counter.
 
That's right. He leaps. Over the meter high counter. He leaps like the manly man he is. Soojin thought it all feel like in slow motion. Everyone seem to stop and stare at this stunt. Soojin stares horrifyingly. Sungjong stares angrily. And Sungyeol stares admiringly. He can't really stop himself. The leap was so graceful with manliness oozing out of his pores. It's like watching a nike advertising.
 
Fast forward after the show stopping leaping, Hoya ran out the the exit. Soojin waste no time. There is no way anyone else can know about this awkward experience that Sungjong calls "date". Her brother seems to be feeling the same way, despite the fact that it was his idea to begin with. They both sprint out after him and yet he is already out of the building. 
 
That is not going to stop the determined twins. The quickly scanned the surrounding. Sungjong spotted Hoya across the street.
 
"Quick Soojin, you go on the other side of the block and we'll try to block him!" Sungjong then quickly chase after Hoya. Of course he knows that the manly Hoya is way faster than him (curses), however there are two of them, and if he says so himself, are not bad themselves considering their rather long legs (which is probably also the only one thing he has over Hoya). 
 
Soon enough Sungjong spotted Soojin running around the corner appearing in front of Hoya. Hoya then quickly turn around only to realize Sungjong is behind him. He's basically surrounded in a narrow alleyway. Trapped.
 
"Okay I give up." Hoya put both his hand up with his iPod, panting while Sungjong traps him in a headlock. 
 
Soojin didn't waste time and grabbed the iPod, only to realize something very important. 
 
"What's your passcode?" She panted, still recovering from the run. She hated running.
 
"Not telling."
 
And so Sungjong proceeded to tickle him. That's right. Tickling. This is the manly method Sungjong uses to torture the manly Hoya. However it does seem to work as it turns out he is very ticklish.
 
"STOP, I'M SORRY, I'LL TELL YOU PROMISE, JUST. STOP." Sungjong then drop him to the ground.
 
"Wait, before that can you guys tell me if it's true?" Hoya just lay down in the ground giggling. "You guys are together together? I mean it's alright with me I swear! Even if you are like... Twins and all..."
 
"No." Came The twins synchronized answer.
 
"But then why..."
 
Soojin sighs and she started to explain everything. Hoya then just continue to laugh. Sungjong just lowered his face, embarrassed. Hoya then pats his shoulder warmly.
 
"You know Sungjong, that is very manly of you."
 
"What?"
 
"No one I know have the guts to ask their sister out on a date. Consider yourself a gutsy man." Sungjong smiled secretly. He is still dead embarrassed and he hopes Hoya will never reveal this to anyone. But hearing someone as manly as Hoya calling him manly and gutsy, really do make a happy Sungjong.
 
After they finish their buisness (deleting the video, plus Soojin secretly sending Hoya's embarrassing selca to her email, for future blackmail just in case), they both slowly walk home. They both walk over to the porch when Soojin stop them from going inside.
 
"What?" Sungjong exclaimed, tired from all the running.
 
"We should end this date properly. Kiss my cheek."
 
"What!"
 
"Come on, it was your idea in the first place." Soojin points out. "I want my first date to kiss me goodnight."
 
Sungjong sighs and roll his eyes. He closes his eyes and inches his face closer to hers, before blowing a raspberry to her ear.
 
"Eeww gross."
 
"How is that for a goodnight kiss?"
 
"You know what Sungjong, I don't think this will work out."
 
"I agree, I don't really feel the chemistry."
 
"We just have too many differences." Soojin states ironically to her twin brother.
 
"We can still be friends though."
 
"Of course.", and they sealed it with a handshake.
 
"Oh and btw should we explain to Sungyeol?" Soojin ask as they walk inside the house.
 
"Nope it's alright, he's harmless."
 
"He'll be heartbroken though."
 
"What?"
 
"Nevermind..."
 
The End