Dark Night

Dark Night
The night sky was studded with glittering stars. The absence of clouds allowed the stars to form a stark contrast against the sky. It was almost coming to midnight and Jieun had to walk home as she had missed the last connecting bus back to her estate from the main road. The night breeze rang in her ears like a haunting tune. Feeling the chill in the frosty night air, she hastened her footsteps. The deserted street was dimly lit by the soft pearly glow of the spherical moon. The stars glowed more brilliantly then ever, as if to mock at her fear of the dark. A thin mist lingered in the air and it was tinged with a musky scent. 
 
Being a timid girl, went dry when the breeze escalated to a slightly strong gust. Her paranoia ran into overdrive as she further hastened her footsteps and started to brisk-walk. She was just dying to get back to the safety of her home. Jieun sent a prayer heavenwards, hoping for the mystic moon to watch over her.
 
Suddenly, a flash of lightening zipped across the dark sky, followed by a deafening clap of thunder. The sky darkened as the moonlight was eclipsed by the ominous clouds. The entire estate was plunged into pitch darkness and awry silence descended like a curtain. A sniff at the moisture-laden air and dreary heavy atmosphere confirmed her suspicion of impending rain. 
 
"Oh no, not now..." She pleaded with God. 
 
A flicker of hope manifested in the distance, standing on a hill not faraway was the infamous, haunted vampire castle. As ever, it stood out from the surroundings with its majestic demeanour, alone, exclusive, overpowering and dominating the vast land it was planted on, with banyan trees surrounding its grounds, shadowing the mysterious structure and its possible occupants. 
 
"There is no such thing as a vampire!" She chanted out loud to convince herself. "Since the lights are on, surely there must be someone or something awake and living there."
 
The weather was changing fast and the wind was picking up speed as if in a hurry running away from something. Jieun felt as if she was being pushed by it towards the 'enchanted' mansion. Another flash of lightning shot itself overhead, beckoning her to move forward. 
 
The silhouette of the house was starting to form a surreal image of a vampire house. It had two roof watch towers piercing the flashing sky, in reluctant surrender towards the gates of Heaven. With a swirling cloud in purplish silver linings between them, the sky above looked like it was about to release a host of evil on humanity, with her being the first victim of the night. The windows looked like piercing eyes staring down at her, and the door was like the mouth of a hungry beast, ready to devour her mercilessly as soon as she stepped near enough.
 
Before she knew it, it had started pouring mercilessly and she had to beg herself to push on towards the land of lesser evil. 
 
Harnessing its power from her fear, the house grew eerier as Jieun approached it. Her body was an unwilling participant but survival instincts was in the driver's seat. The battle between fear and bravery was raging inside of her and the element of nature was beating her down. Fighting the storm which was persecuting her every intention, she had more than enough reasons to turn back. 
 
No! I shall not be called a coward!
 
Bending around the corner, she could now see two worn out iron gates with dried out creepers protecting its exterior. It was swinging in the wind, making ear-piercing, screeching noises, sending a chill down the nape of her neck. The cold stony pathway leading to the door was now filled with many muddy puddles. As the water slowly slid off into the stream of water along the path, she could see tormented faces forming, screaming in agony and pain with each flash of lightning, beseeching her not to enter. She toddled carefully along the pathway, fearing that these faces would swallow her up with any wrong step. 
 
With one final step and heave of relief, she was finally under the porch, but now, standing in front of her was this unwelcoming, monstrous door which was in the way of her salvation. Lifting one hand, she drummed frantically on the door with her fist. 
 
"Is anyone at home? I need help!" She mustered the last remnants of courage to shout out her request. She might have as well saved her breath, as the roar of the thunder had drowned her puny voice. 
 
The door unbolted. 
 
BOOM!
 
Another thunder bolt flashed and she was scared out of her wits. There, in front of her, stood a tall towering figure. Her heart froze.