Can't Stop

Midnight Memoir

          It’s late, I need to sleep.  However, I have already counted all the sheep in my head; 279.  I keep drawing your face out on the ceiling.  It's dark in here, but the image in my mind of your beautiful, flawless face brightens it up greatly.  Whenever I close my eyes, a book with the story of our ended love opens.  Even after you left, you torture me like this.  How did I become so miserable?  What did I do wrong?  Why did we even break up? I don’t know.

          Each breathe I take, I miss you even more.  When I note the fact that we’re still living under the same sky, the same sun, I go even crazier.  Although I’m like this, I just can’t let you go.

          I wake up to the sound of frustrated voices outside.  Loud voices.  Though not loud enough for me to make out what they were saying, I could tell by their tone of voice that they were having an argument.  I struggled, quickly attempting to adjust my puffy, bloodshot eyes from the blinding sunlight that shone through from my window shutters.  After getting up in pain from my sore body, (I had been laying in bed facedown for the past 18 hours), I briefly stretched before slugging on over to the window to take a peek at whatever the hell was going on.  I saw that a couple was fighting outside my window.  They looked like us in the past- tears immediately welled up in my eyes.

          "Look, don’t do that!  Just shut up and hug her!" I screamed.  "Idiot!  Are you that dumb?" I fumed in anger yet again, but he didn't hear me.  Oh no, he was too busy yelling at you, to hear me.

          "Son of a ..." I muttered.  My pulse was beating fast, I knew that I needed to calm down.  But maybe you were right.  Maybe I did have anger issues.  After a few seconds of staring into space, I got even more angry.  Do I care what you think?  Of course not!  You are just a memory, a memory I'm going to forget.  Having someone like you to remember is just adding more fuel to my fire; the one that'll eventually explode.

         "Look at me," I said bitterly, seeing your forehead crease when the guy stepped closer to you.  I noticed that the glass on the window fogged up as my face got close to it.  "How do I look right now?" Laughing dryly, I walked away from the scene outside, and into my kitchen.

          But I only ended up falling to my knees, clenching my chest- where my heart was.  Can’t you just give me another chance to hold onto you once again?  Our relationship wasn’t meant to be something that could end so easily.  Or am I mistaken?  I don't know.

          Even though I hate you, when I think about the times we were together, I smile.  Maybe because I don’t want to forget you.

          What am I saying?  You're a heartless monster, ripping away at those who love you.  Correction: loved you.

          But then I thought.  I thought about all our hardships, our stuggles.  Then I think about the happiness that was once there.  I mean, it was there for a reason.  I remember, I'd always tell you:  "We were meant to be."

          So then I made a decision.

          No, I don’t want to forget you.  I want to cherish you forever.