o1

'dumb' comes in pairs

PART ONE.

--

"Hey,” Sehun says quietly at first and then almost pouts pathetically when Jongin continues to neglect him.

“Dude!” This time he grumbles a little louder, tugging onto the corner of Jongin’s t-shirt.

…....

“Jongin!”

“Hm?” The inattentive male simply responds, still deeply immerse in his phone; most likely texting Kyungsoo, Sehun thinks.

Ignoring the stabbing feeling in his chest, Sehun continues with a weary sigh, “So we’re going skateboarding tomorrow, right?” He has a gut feeling they’re not, but he asks anyway just incase his ‘best friend’ does magically remembers.

Jongin finally peels his eyes off his phone and presses his lip together, and Sehun knows then that they’re most definitely not. He’ll probably have to go through another stage of Jongin’s sorry speech in less that three, two, one….

“Sorry Sehun, I almost forgot to tell you-

“You did forget to tell me.”

Jongin rolls his eyes and ignores his best friend’s smartass comment, “I’m having dance practice with Kyungsoo tomorrow so, next time?”

Sehun stays quiet at first, trying to think up a good reply that wouldn’t sound too pathetic. In the end with mild thinking, he decides to go with a hopefully convincing sardonic remark, “Yeah OK, but you’re still an .” Because he’s Oh Sehun, and he’s not suppose to appear weak or vulnerable, not in front of his best friend that is. But even if he were to construct a banner with the words ‘JONGIN I’M SAD PAY ATTENTION ME!” written in black, bold letters and wave it directly in Jongin’s face, Jongin will still be oblivious as . Sehun wonders why they’re friends.

“I know, I got it from you,” Jongin snickers.

“Whatever,” Sehun looks away and sighs, “I’ll just leave you alone so you can text Kyungsoo-hyung……. But you’ll do that anyways even if I’m here, huh,” he sarcastically (not really) mutters the last part, just quietly enough for Jongin to miss.

“What?”

“What.”

Jongin rolls his eyes, “What did you say?”

“I said, ‘I’ll leave you alone so you can text Kyungsoo’.”

“No, after that!”

“It doesn’t matter,” Sehun shrugs him off and leaves the room, taking with him the lingering loneliness that he has been feeling for the last couple of days.

Lately, Jongin has been spending up most of his time with Kyungsoo or any other EXO members and is too busy for Sehun. It shouldn’t be bothering him, but it does. He’s hurt (but like his stubborn will show it) because even though they’re the suppose inseparable duo in the band, Jongin lately only comes to him whenever Kyungsoo is occupied or he’s left with no other companion, because gross who wants to hang out with Sehun anyways? Certainly not his best friend, that’ll be crazy!!1!!11!!

Sehun feels like a burden, a second choice, but even that doesn’t mark the spot. He feels…. Useless.. He’s already first on the list for EXO’s most useless member, so he shouldn’t be surprised that his company is unwanted, right? Sometimes, Sehun does truly believe he’s useless. He can only dance, but then he sees dancers like Jongin and Lay, heck even Xiumin, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and then rethinks his position. His rap isn’t all that satisfying either, hence the little lines he gets, and he knows that his singing . Jongin said so himself. (But we all know that isn't true.)

And just like that, over Jongin’s stupid neglecting, Sehun has thought this far ahead in everything he’s doing. Oh dear lord save him before he falls into a pitiful state of depression.

----

The next day Sehun doesn’t want to get out of bed despite the free day. Now, that is saying a lot because EXO is rarely blessed with unscheduled days but Sehun is nonchalant and figures what’s the point because it’s not like he’s doing anything anyways.

It’s nine when he wakes up and hears laughter echoing in the hallways that he can easily recognise as Jongin’s and Kyungsoo’s. A door slam is heard afterwards.

Sehun groans into his pillow and spends the next three hours moping around on his bed. It isn’t until Joonmyun is tugging onto the blanket that is somehow tucked beneath Sehun’s back that he gives up and sits up. Aggressively at that.

“What are you doing?!” Sehun yells.

“Getting you out of bed, what does it look like I’m doing?” Joonmyun’s answer is sarcastic and annoying, and Sehun wants to fling the pillow across the elder’s face but he knows if does, he’ll be sentenced to toilet duty for the rest of his life. He has enough going on; he doesn’t need to be cleaning them.

“I don’t want to get out of bed!” Sehun groans, collapsing into it once more.

Joonmyun raised a brow, “Why are you brattier than usual today? Did something happen?” The older male asks, genuinely concerned.

“It’s nothing, now leave me alone,” Sehun bluntly answers, bringing the pillow up to his face in hope of Joonmyun leaving.

But of course he doesn’t.

“I’m going to get Chanyeol to carry you bridal style if you don’t get your off the bed Sehunnie,” he threatens playfully.

Sehun’s eyes widened in fear and amazingly, in record time of 0.0000001 seconds, he launches himself off the bed and is now standing tall on the flat ground.

“Thought so, now go brush your teeth and get some breakfast. There should be something in the fridge.”

Sehun nods in defeat and walks out grouchily, shoulders sag, and with Baekhyun walking by offering a good morning; the younger male shoots daggers and continues walking to the bathroom aggressively.

Baekhyun scratches his head in confusion and then shrugs, just as Joonmyun comes out the room that Sehun shares with Chanyeol.

“Don’t ask. The brat is depressed.”

After making instant noodles and cursing at Joonmyun for lying because there was absolutely no trace of anything eatable in the fridge, Sehun slumps himself down the couch and turns on the T.V. He’s bored and lonely and wants Jongin but too bad his best friend is having the time of his life. Thinking about it just makes Sehun mad. He should really stop thinking.

Vaguely pressing random numbers and changing the channel more than an average human, Sehun fails to see Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Joonmyun eyeing on him suspiciously in the distance.

“What do you think has gotten into him?” Baekhyun is first to speak.

“I don’t know…. But it must be something really serious because he seems seriously out of it,” Chanyeol replies.

“I know! The kid glared at me when I said good morning to him!” Baekhyun complains, pinching the bridge of his nose in reminisce and shakes his head disapprovingly.

“Aww poor Baekhyunie!” Chanyeol laughs and squishes Baekhyun’s cheek sheepishly.

“Yah! Park Chanyeol!” He slaps his hand away, glaring at him.

“Will you two stop!” Joonmyun snaps. “I’ll talk to Sehun later. But I think his attitude has something to with Jongin. Poor boy is probably feeling neglected.”

“Hmm, now that you mentioned it, Jongin has been clinging onto Kyungsoo a lot lately…” Chanyeol frowns, turning to look at Sehun apologetically.

----

When Jongin and Kyungsoo return home, it’s nearing seven thirty and Sehun wonders what they had been doing for the past ten and a half hours. He’s pretty sure even with Jongin’s passion for dancing and whatnot, it wouldn’t be enough to keep him practicing for practically the whole day. Unless…

“What took you so long?” Sehun asks casually, stuffing junk food in his mouth to sound as natural as possible.

Caught off guard, Jongin blinks, “Oh, we went skateboarding afterwards,” he says all too easily, and a pang makes its way through Sehun’s chest.

But that’s our thing is what Sehun wants to say. Instead a pathetic ‘Oh’ makes it pass Sehun’s tongue and he feels dumber than ever for thinking Jongin and him ever had a 'thing'. Are they even best friends anymore? Or has Jongin finally realised what a useless person Sehun truly is and ditched his useless ? Sehun sadly ponders uselessly.

Jongin sits beside him and spontaneously bumps their shoulders together as if he hasn’t been spending the day without Sehun just minutes ago.

Unable to take the silent anymore, Sehun finally takes all his courage to enlighten Jongin with his dying question, “Are we best friends Jongin?” He asks, sounding gayer than he has ever sounded in the last 20 years of his life.

“Huh?” Jongin looks at him, puzzled. “Of course. Why would you even ask that? Are we not?

Sehun emits a puff of exasperation, “I don’t know Jongin, are we?” The question lingers on the tip of the younger male’s lip and then he abruptly leaves the couch in annoyance. He stomps into his room and slams the door shut, making sure Jongin hears it loud and clearly.

In his room, he avoids Chanyeol’s questioning gazes and slams his body on the bed and begins stage one of moping pathetically.

Chanyeol looks at him weirdly and slowly puts down his Samsung. “You okay?” He asks, oh how that’s the stupidest thing he could’ve asked.

“Don’t talk to me.”

Chanyeol chuckles and gets off his bed. He climbs onto Sehun’s and sits himself beside the pitiful boy. “Stop being a girl and just tell him how you feel. If you’re scared then just drop hints.”

“It’s not that easy hyung. We’re not like you and Baekhyun where we’re always together-"

“You guys are always together,” Chanyeol cuts him off. “And what do you mean by me and Baekkie?”

“Oh please hyung, sometimes I question if you two are dating,” Sehun rolls his eyes, sitting himself up and then leans against the wall beside him.

Chanyeol scowls, his face reddening and smacks the younger’s arm. “Shut up!” He shouts, somehow defensively. “Anyways. You and Jongin. What’s up with you guys? You were all up in each other’s grill a few days ago.”

“I don’t know! It’s not like I don’t do anything, I drop plenty of hints. Even you realised how mopey I was. Still am,” Sehun sighs into his knees. “He just stopped paying attention to me? And he treats me as if I’m some bothersome person by waving me off and uses he’s daily dose of excuses about how he’s busy even though he’s not. I’m his best friend for god sake, and I just asked him a few minutes ago if I was and ran into this room and he isn’t even coming in to check up on me. I don’t ing get it, hyung. What did I do wrong?” Sehun is now on the verge of tears. He returns to his pitiful curl and wraps the blanket above his face, tucking it beneath his head.

Chanyeol furrows his brow, and wants to punch the heck out of Jongin, which is really saying something because he rarely gets mad. But right now seeing Sehun like this, angers him and he doesn’t want the maknae to be feeling this way, especially not because of Jongin. “Sehun,” he frowns, soothing him through the blanket. “I don’t know either but right now Jongin sounds like an , lets hang together okay?”

Sehun shrugs even though Chanyeol can’t see.

“And if he goes to you, run! Don’t worry Sehun-ah, I have a plan," he cheekily says with his signature grin.

“Whatever you say.”

----

Mission make Oh Sehun happy starts today and Chanyeol is excited. He plans on dragging Sehun out of bed – bridal style if he has to and make him go skateboarding with him, because he knows how much the younger boy loves it. He always seems so happy when he’s out in the open with his board, with Jongin.

And on queue, Chanyeol tugs onto Sehun’s shoulder and pulls it. Sehun groans and swats him away, tightening the blanket around his fingers and pulls it closer. Chanyeol tries again, and after the third fail attempt, he gives up and pulls out his big gun.

“I didn’t want to do this but you leave me no choice Sehunnie.” He picks the boy up bridal style and watches him squeal under his touch.

“What the , get me down! God, Chanyeol what do you want at-“ Sehun looks up at the clock as Chanyeol puts him on his feet, “eight o’ clock. What the , man!”

“Quit whining already! I’m being a nice hyung and shouting you breakfast, and then we can go skating together!” Chanyeol cheers, grinning way too brightly.

Sehun digs his face into his palms and looks up at him with murderous eyes. “You’re kidding me, right? Please tell me you’re kidding.”

“Nope!” Chanyeol continues to grin the overtop grin and Sehun sighs.

“Do you even know how to skate?” He asks.

“Well, I’m gonna.”

Sehun face palms once more and nods wearily knowing there’s no way out of this.  “Yeah okay, whatever.”

 

“This is so gay,” Sehun says straightaway as they enter the local café that he and Jongin normally hangs out at.

“Hey! That’s not what you say when you come here with Jongin at o’ clock!” Chanyeol retorts, feeling slightly offended.

Sehun ignores him and continues whining, “Everyone is going to recognise us!”

“With what we’re wearing, I doubt it!” He grins.

 Sehun raises his brow at the disguise of overused caps, sunglasses and scarves. He wishes he didn’t allow Chanyeol to talk him into this mess and just stayed at home. He is fine really. But of course Chanyeol being the annoying giant he is with his unnecessary ways of complicating things, he had to be dragged out into the stupid cold weather.

“What do you want to eat Sehunnie?” Chanyeol asks as they take a seat closest the window.

“Most expensive one.”

“Brat,” Chanyeol snorts.

“I know,” Sehun deadpans.

When Chanyeol finishes ordering the CHEAPEST meal from the café, the two sit in silent, and Sehun just wants to smash his head against the wall beside him because all he wants is to be in his bed and far, far away from Chanyeol as possible.

“Why are we here?” Sehun finally asks, annoyed.

 “It’s a part of my plan.”

“Well it’s stupid, can we just eat and then go. I’m tired.”

“Don’t be like that!” Chanyeol says and slides him a childish look. “Besides, you don’t even know my plan.”

“Pretty sure I do,” Sehun retorts.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah! I bet you’re planning to make him jealous by hanging with me. I’m not stupid, hyung. Look, you can try it if you want but Jongin won’t care!”

Chanyeol frowns, and he’s not sure if it’s because of Sehun’s negative outlook or how easy it was for him to figure out his plan. In the end he settles for both. “You know what’s you problem, Sehun?” Chanyeol asks, as two egg and bacon wraps he ordered earlier is placed on their table.

“No.”

“That’s your problem! You’re too bratty and you whine way too much and I get that you’re sad over Jongin ditching you, but you have me, Joonmyun, Baekhyun and even Kyungsoo. Who knows, you and Kyungsoo can do some sort of plot twist like in those weird dramas and become the new duo and ditch Jongin! So who cares!”

“But I care….” Sehun groans, gently slamming his forehead onto the table. “He’s my best friend and I love him!!!!” Sehun whines dramatically and kicks the leg of the table causing it to vibrate as Chanyeol shakes his head at him. “By the way I meant the BFF kind of love ok. I know you’re judging me, stop it!!!”

“Yah Sehun! Eat quickly and pick up your board so we can skate afterwards. You’re giving me headaches, how does Jongin even deal with your grouchy ,” Chanyeol snickers playfully, scrunching his nose, and takes a big bite out of his wrap.

“Bastard,” Sehun remarks quietly. “Not my fault that you’re the one that was desperate for me to leave the dorm with you!”

“Yeah okay, okay whatever, just eat.”

Sehun grins. Even though Chanyeol is a handful 101% of the time, he somehow always knows how to cheer Sehun up and he’s grateful for that. No wonder Baekhyun likes to cling onto him so much. He has to admit, he is sort of jealous of their mutual clinginess and possessiveness in the relationship. If only Jongin and him was like that then maybe things will be okay.

Seeing Sehun’s grin falter and eyes sadden, Chanyeol frowns and grasps onto his hand and heaves him from the seat. “Come on, we can eat while skating,” Chanyeol smiles, already pulling Sehun out the door before the latter can say anything to protest.


a/n - only pt 1! i'm srry i can'tttt write STILL LEARNING OK

(not sure how this will turn out)

 

excuse the mistakes