Awimbawe Awimbawe Awimbawe Awimbawe

Missing The Jungle Boy

Kyungsoo had no problem socializing around people his circle but he hesitates a bit when the school trip decides to room him with Kris, the school's basketball jock He even think there would be a huge language barrier, seeing that Kris is chinese and he didn't talk much in class. Yes, they're classmate but it feels like a different world when it comes to Kris. At least, it looks like that to him. 

It must be nice to be popular. 

Kris in the other hand wishes that people won't take him for bullying his roomie. The height difference and his sharp shoulders that usually pokes people violently would make it uncomfortable for smaller people like Kyungsoo. Its inconvenient for both of them to be paired together, he thinks. Not to mention he didn't know why he felt an aura of hostile when he greets Kyungsoo. He didn't talk much to this classmate of his, so he is not clear of what kind of person he is. 

 

 

Second day of the trip, they were assigned by the instructor to do a period of two days and one night jungle trekking in pair. Both Kris and Kyungsoo wish they could choose their partner but nope. They are stuck with each other and were given different routes from other people. Its insane since this jungle is like really , untouched. They have to survive with the conventional compass in hand. No actual phone signal could be received there. It turns out this trip is somekind of a punishment for them, tech savvies high school students. This is like a detox of technology for the students. Never in life Kris had ever think of his gadgets as useless junks in his backpack.

 

They need to rely on each other. Kyungsoo depends on Kris' energy and strength while Kris could rely on Kyungsoo's meal survival skills and sharp senses. It was awkward at first and gets even worst when both of them had this prejudice of each other in their head. Kyungsoo thinks Kris is really a snob and Kris thinks Kyungsoo is unfriendly nerd. 

 

The night when they're about to hit the sack, Kyungsoo went to take a piss and ask Kris to look out for monkeys that might steal their food. He went back to see Kris were standing on guard, all alert like a soldier. He sees that their food leftover that is meant to be their breakfast were squeaky clean! 

And the spoon he just cleaned before is stained, inside the pot. There is no way this is any kind of animal's doing. 

He quickly went behind Kris, asking Kris is it okay not to sleep tonight. Kris agreed. 

Kyungsoo heard the lush bushes rustle, he points to it silently for Kris to see. The taller guy with cooking pan in hand, went ahead and beats around the bushes. Something hit hard on his pan. 

The both of them startle to see a huge body lies motionless on the ground, his forehead wounded with a little swell. Well, Kris do beats the bush with all his might. Kyungsoo panicked and quickly checks if the stranger is still alive. His heart is still beating. They decides to bring him to their little bonfire and treat the wound. Its a surprise again to see he is wearing nothing but something like animal skin and fur. His hair is long and unruly. 

Its like this guy came from a different time then theirs. 

Kyungsoo nurses him while Kris is looking for some clothes that would fit the weird guy. They thought of the same thing, it seems like he must be hungry thats why he stole their food. But why is he wearing like this? Is he really like a wild jungle person who are isolated from development and stuck in stone age? But its puzzling how did he know how to eat with a spoon? Is it a different person who took their food? Is he alone or is there a tribe of them.  

It feels like in the movie suddenly. They were discussing this together and fell asleep in the middle of their curious and exciting theories. 

In the morning, Kris woke up first, realized he couldn't move because Kyungsoo actually sleeps on his chest and the weird guy's head is on his stomach. He lies there motionless until Kyungsoo wakes up half an hour after that. Kyungsoo realizes that as soon as he woke up and apologizing a lot of times even though the jock said its okay. They were so noisy and it wakes the wounded boy. 

He rises from his slumber so fast and faces the other two, crouching like an ape. His eyes wide, staring at them, baring his teeth and he makes a sound like an animal who is angry. 

The both of them were so surprised that they didn't know what to do. They tried to reasons out with him but he reacts like he would attack when they come close. He didn't understand what they are talking!

Not until Kyungsoo offers him breakfast did he softens. He were gobbling the ramen and soft boiled eggs with his bare hands like its the best thing in the world. He chokes on his food, maybe this is the first time he ever tastes any spice! Kris came to the rescue with his huge water bottle. 

Food bonds them three. The jungle boy, as Kris calls him, is now their friend. Kyungsoo wants to give him another name but Kris said, its not like they're adopting a pet.

But the jungle boy really helps them a lot. In return for the ramen, he, walking like an actual ape, leads them to a bunch of trees with wild fruits and a stream of river for their source of water. He even helps them to identify which fruits are poisonous and which are good to eat. Its safe to say their breakfast for that day is truly all natural and very filling. 

Since they're close by the river, Kris would want to have some time to clean himself. While he were doing so, Kyungsoo told him that the jungle boy is looking at him washing in astonishment. He gives a suggestion for Kris to teach him how to clean himself. So Kris did. He invites the jungle boy to join him but the jungle boy takes a step back, shoulders spike up. Probably thinking it would be very cold to get in the stream. 

Kyungsoo pushes him from the back and laughs at how panicky the jungle boy gets when he is dunking in the water. Kris come to his side and told him with hand signs that the water is not deep. He look at Kyungsoo and said, it might be a little deep for him though. Feeling challenged, Kyungsoo gets in the river to join them two. 

And so they help the startling jungle boy to wash, probably for the very first time in his life. Kris knows a lot of life hacks, using fruits and leaves to shampoo and lather the skin. In less than an hour, the jungle boy gets a makeover. Tying his long hair to the back, wearing Kris track suit. Hey, the jungle boy is actually really good looking. Except that his ears are really big. Kyungsoo said, he probably could really listens well from a far. Kris nods in agreement when he sees how big those ears are. 

Kris gives the jungle boy a mirror. He look into it and acting all hostile like an angry ape at first, until Kyungsoo comes in the reflection, teaching him that what he sees is the reflection of him. Kris and Kyungsoo were laughing at how the jungle boy couldn't stop staring in the mirror. They thought if the jungle boy is a normal kid like them, he probably would love himself a lot judging on how long he have been staring in the mirror. 

They've grown attached to the jungle boy. It is really an unlikely life in the jungle but the jungle boy makes it fun and easier for them. Suddenly its not really a bad thing to leave behind the hustles and bustles of the city. And its not a big deal to stop relying on their usual gadgets like how they think it would be at first. The jungle boy could live really well. Kris jokes on how well the jungle boy have grown than Kyungsoo is, referring to heights. Kyungsoo retaliates and said thank god the jungle boy is still alive from Kris' mindless, killer pan-hitting tragedy last night.  

The whole day, they are teaching the jungle boy how to walk like them instead of crouching. Its amazing how fast he is learning, but he looks weird when he walks normally. As Kris address it, he walks like a pregnant lady. Kyungsoo bursts in laughter. The jungle boy laughs too. He laughs like an ape, baring all his teeth and gums. The both of them teach how to laugh as well. While they're walking, they teach him some words just to see how his voice sounds like without all the shrieking and ape-like groaning. Its another astonishment again that the jungle boy's voice is very deep. The first word they taught him is 'ramen'. 

The sun is almost set.

They're near to where their finishing point is. Which means, they would be meeting their schoolmates now. The tortorous jungle trekking would be over.

And its time to part with the jungle boy. 

Kyungsoo is too attached and suggests that they bring the jungle boy back to Seoul, helps him to live normally, return him to the society. Kris disagree. He said, the jungle boy belongs in the jungle. He probably born and bred here, taking him far away from it means separating him with his 'family' and who knows there are other people like the jungle boy that would miss him. 

They were fighting over this and somehow, the jungle boy wants to stop the quarrel in his own way. He jumps in the middle of them two and pushes them to the ground, groaning madly as if trying to say 'stop it'. The two boys were in pain when the jungle boy carresses their head together. Like a mother ape showing affection to her babies. His face also softens. Its like he is saying he is ready to part with them. 

Kris said sorry for hitting the jungle boy, patting his head and said thank you for reasoning between them two. The jungle boy seems to understands, a little tint of red earthens on his cheeks. Maybe he understands compliment. In the other hand, Kyungsoo were hugging the jungle boy tightly like he won't let go. He almost sobs. Kris pats Kyungsoo's back, telling him to let go, leave the jungle boy where he belongs to. The jungle boy seems to hate Kyungsoo crying, he pats and caresses Kyungsoo's cheeks, a little rough but nonetheless, Kyungsoo understands that he is trying to comfort him. He feels ridiculous because he really had grown attached to the jungle boy. 

The jungle boy leaves, climbing up the hill and disappears in the jungle. Kyungsoo hangs on Kris' waist, while watching the jungle boy left them, and he turns back from a far. Then disappears for real. 

They report themselves at the checkpoint as the last pair to arrive. The other kids were already resting and having their early dinner. The instructor said its a pretty late if Kris and Kyungsoo wants to have their meal now, the bus has arrived and would bring them all back to their lodge house. Not like both of them have the appetite after such emotional parting anyway. 

The rest of the week during their trip, Kris and Kyungsoo were always together. The pair is awkward to see but they're so natural like they have known for years. No one expects them to get along. And maybe they were just being nice to each other for the trip. 

Its all proven wrong when they're back to normal school days. They become lab partners, team up together for projects and even starts to talk comfortably without honorifics. It is weird that their classmates wonder how did they suddenly become this close.

 

"I miss the jungle boy," Kyungsoo said, when they're buying cup ramen at the convenience store. Kris just smiles and ask him to let it go.

 

"I miss him too, but he is best to be what he is," Kris would say. When he really miss the jungle boy too. He wonders if he is healing from the painful pan-hit swell.

 

"Ahjussi, I'm saying, the ramen packs you're selling here is the cheapest in town!"

 

That voice booms from the cashier counter. Kris and Kyungsoo looks to each other. That voice is really familiar. That 'ramen' pronounciation.

Kris shakes his head, it couldn't be. But Kyungsoo whose sense is so sharp nods his head violently. He pulls Kris to leave their instant ramen cup on the hot water counter and runs to the counter. 

 

"Chanyeol-ah, I am not giving you free ramen no matter how much you praises me," 

 

The two of them standing there, at the aisle near the cashier. Staring at the tall kid in his school uniform, leaning against the counter, doing aegyo. Kyungsoo tugs on Kris' arms, pointing to the tall kid. Kris gasps,not believing it. 

 

His ears are big. 

 

"Eh, ahjussi, you know I like your store the best, the ramen packs here taste the best," 

 

The tall guy turns his head to their direction. And the two stooges who have been staring has their jaw all over the floor. 

 

"Jungle boy?" Kris exclaims out of the blue. Kyungsoo couldn't say a word. 

 

The tall kid, looks at the two startled boy. Smiling widely, baring all his teeth but not as far as showing his gums. 

 

"Oi, long time no see,"