Grateful Even Just A Month.

One Month

Lee Haru, a cheerful girl from a big city moved to countryside because of her weak, fragile and fatigue body to get recover by having a fresh weather and treatment during her middle school first-year. She attended the middle school there at the countryside but moved back to the big city for a better treatment for her high school and a better treatment but.... She knew that her sickness can never be cured and only had a month and a week leave.
 
Haru had a crush on a guy she likes during her middle school first year before she transfer for countryside but she has the chance to confess and he's Haru best friend too. When she knew the news about transferring back the big city for the treatment, she thought of the hope she once had for confessing her love to her crush but she didn't know which school he attends in the big city. Haru's father just transfer her to a good school in the big city.
 
When she transferred to both school and hospital in the big city, she thought of the things she wanted to do before she leaves.
 
Next day, she decided to went to school to check out. And surprising, she hope she was seeing an illusion but not. He's the real one here. Yes, he is Haru's first crush, best friend and he's Luhan. Haru seems to forget most of the things ever since she transfer to the countryside but she couldn't forget Luhan.
 
"You... Are Luhan right? Do you remember me?" Haru strikes him with a question.
 
"Yes I am Luhan. Uh... Who are you?"
 
"You don't remember me? I'm Haru! Lee Haru!"
 
"Lee Haru...?" He thinks for a while. "Oh! Lee Haru!"
 
"I'm glad that you remembered me."
 
"When did you come back? And why did you transfer without telling me anything? I was worried sick and thought that you're just disappearing like this!"
 
"My parents sudden transfer makes me unable to give the news to you."
 
Luhan used to caress Haru's hair a lot because Haru's hair is soft and smooth. He would also pat on her head when Haru did something great. For example, getting a good grade for exam.
 
He then caress Haru's hair, "Your hair... Wasn't as soft as it was when we're in middle school..."
 
"Yeah... I don't have much to take care of my hair because of the busy times I had to study..." Haru lied.
 
When Haru was in her middle school at the countryside, she didn't get to attend school often because it would take too much works for it. As day by day passes, her hair begin to fall as much as it can and causes her to wear wig when she returns to the city.
 
Haru feels pain in my head but her expression didn't show it out. "I think I got to go."
 
"Go where?"
 
"Returning home. It's getting late. My parents might be worrying." Haru lied again.
 
"But it's still bright and it's only five in the afternoon..."
 
"I have preparations to do..."
 
"Okay..."
 
Haru actually returning to hospital. To Haru, hospital is her home because even she returns to her real home, that real home has no the feel of family because her parents are laboring to give Haru the best treatment and medication to cute Haru.
 
The day before Haru attends the school, she begs the teacher and headmaster not to say a thing about Haru's sickness. Haru wants everyone in the school treats her like one of the school student instead of treated as a special student because of her sickness. No one in the school knows about her sickness not even Luhan. Only the teachers and the headmaster knows about her secret.
 
When she returns to hospital, she starts to plan everything out what she should do during her this short life time in her high school. While she was planning, she just realize that the day she leaves will be the day of her birthday.
 
When she finally starts her high school life, she feels really happy and spend the day till the fullest with Luhan because they were in the same class. She knew that she will be leaving soon. She decided not to confess her feeling for Luhan.
 
Day by day, Luhan begins to feel a strange feelings from Haru. He feels that Haru begin to change. Haru looks pretty forgetful and walk really slow. More surprisingly, Haru doesn't bring books even bag. All she brings was here smartphone and a purse. She would always borrow Luhan's book since her seat was beside Luhan.
 
"Haru, why don't you bring your own books?"
 
"Why? You don't like sharing books with me?"
 
"That's not what I mean..."
 
"I understand. One book is too heavy for me... You know that I'm weak right?"
 
Luhan knows that Haru was weak even before she transfer to the countryside but he never know she was this weak.
 
"... Were you this weak all this time?"
 
"Yeah... But not as weak as you gonna imagine."
 
Luhan used to play chess with Haru before she moved to countryside. Haru always win over Luhan but now, Luhan always take the lead. Luhan just keep quiet not to ask anything because he knew that if he said something that will make she angry or sad, she will never talk to Luhan for a week. But Luhan still insist want to ask.
 
"You used to win me over all the chess matches..."
 
"I haven't played chess in a while. That's why."
 
"Didn't you play with your classmates at the countryside's middle school?" At that moment, Luhan could see her sad face but changed quickly afterward.
 
"I don't have much friends there."
 
"They're not friendly?"
 
"They're friendly. But I can't go out from ho--- I mean, my parents can't let me go out to play that much. They'll worry if I don't return home pass six." Haru feels guilty to lie to Luhan but she had to.
 
"I see..."
 
Three weeks later till the last week of Haru life. She's been looking pretty pale and weak. She also wears a pretty think of clothes even though it's just the start of autumn.
 
"You look pretty pale these day, did you sleep well?
 
"Yes... Just... Overthinking about something."
 
"What thing?"
 
"I'm not sure what it is but it keeps bother me to think it."
 
"Haru... I've also been wondering... What are you writing for the past few days? I even saw you writing in the early morning just now."
 
"I'm just writing a fan letter to my favorite singer. Do you know IU? Her voice is amazing."
 
"Yes, I know IU. Her voice is very harmonized."
 
"Luhan, do you know that I've always wanted to meet IU at a fan sign event?"
 
"No."
 
"I bet so. I wanted to meet her so bad but... I couldn't. I love her song 'Good Day' so much. I love the part where she pulls three high notes there."
 
"Is it 'I'm in my dream'?" He pulls the note more than three.
 
"I never thought you could pull notes too!"
 
"Hehe..." Luhan become nervous.
 
"If you're an singer, I'm gonna be your number one fan!"
 
"Thank you..."
 
It was Haru's birthday. Also her last day. She didn't go to school because it was her last day and operation day. She gives the letter that she was writing all this time to her mother and tells Luhan phone number to her mother. Haru hoped that if her operation failed, her mother would give a call to Luhan and tells him what happened.
 
On the other hand, Luhan came earlier and plan a surprise with the others students in the class when Haru walks in, they're throw the confetti. But as the time running, the bell rang and the homeroom teacher comes in. She comes in with a very sad face and red eyes as she just cried not long ago.
 
The teacher was quiet for a moment. "I insist, today was Haru's birthday. Am I right?"
 
"Yes." Every students reply.
 
"Let me tell you some bad news about Haru."
 
As Luhan heard the words 'bad news' about Haru, he quickly stands up in shock.
 
"Our Haru has passed away one hour ago due to her loss of the failed operation. When we heard about this news, the fellow teachers and headmaster was in tears." As the teacher talks, every student bursts in tears including Luhan who still in a mentally shock.
 
"Haru what...?"
 
"... Luhan... Here's the address to the hospital that Haru had her operation. Go and find her..."
 
Luhan run as fast as he could when he heard the homeroom teacher ask him to find Haru with the address given. He cry and shout. When he arrives the hospital, he could see Haru's parents in mental shock and crying. When Haru's mother saw Luhan, she gives Luhan the letter that was written by Haru.
 
"Dear Luhan,
 
Are you reading this? Probably when you read this, I'm already gone in the heaven playing with the angels and meeting The Lord God. I'm sorry that I didn't told you that I was this sick and I'm sorry I didn't told you that I had brain cancer... For the past five years. I wanted you all to treat me as normal as you all could. I know this is a request that's too much to hold for the teachers when they know about my sickness. That's also the reason why sometimes you could see the teacher would sighs when they sees me and it's not because that I didn't bring any books to school.
 
 I've been living in the hospital in the past five years too. I did attend the middle school there but for only for a few days in the whole four years. That's why I didn't get to play chess with classmates in middle school. I'm sorry that I lied about my parents don't let me to go out past six. Actually every day past 5, I have to take medication. That's why the first day I saw you when I transfer back, I had to go back to the hospital.
 
You said that my hair was not as soft and smooth as before. It is because I've been wearing wig all this time or else I'll be the center of the laughter of our school because I've become bald after my third operation. I've done pretty far six operation including this.
 
I said that I like IU and wanted to meet she in real on her fan sign event and wrote a fan letter. Well, the fan letter was actually this. I told you that I will be your number one fan if you really become a singer? I will always be if you really become one.
 
Last but not least, there's so much I want to write but it seems like I can't remember much what I wanted to write but I wanted to write something that's really out of question. Thanks for being my best friend for the past few years. Even you don't really remember me at the first sight when I transferred back here, but I was happy when you suddenly remember me when I told you my real name. Thanks for being there when I don't have books to study. Thanks for making me laugh even your jokes are really lame and not that funny and... Thanks for being there... For me to love. Thank you so much, Luhan. I love you. I'm sorry I couldn't confess when I was still alive. I don't want to see when we were really so deeply in love, but because of my sickness, that drives you crazy but I'm not sure if you love me like I do but if you really do, thanks for loving me. If I was to be reborn again, I wish you would get to find me, and love me again.
 
Bye, from your best friend... Lee Haru."
 
While reading, Luhan bursts in tears that no way can describe it. He was in love with Haru all this time unconsciously. He worries for Haru all this time. He regrets for not realizing his love for Haru.
 
Five years later, Luhan married with a girl that helps Luhan to forgot those pain time he had when Haru passed away. Luhan's wife was pregnant and it's finally the time that their baby arrives, the name that Luhan first thought for the baby was Haru.
 
"New life is going to begin... Haru."