Part 02

Let me be your cup of cappuccino
XSYKOTICA
 

 

Let’s save each other from this cold, cold world
I promise to go anywhere you wanna go.
Seal it with a kiss on my lips
Let me know
I’m not invisible

(Jason Chen - Invisible)

 

Youngwoon should have known something was very off from the moment he saw his father’s number on his phone’s screen, but never he could imagine the reason for the call was about his grandmother, he couldn’t even remember what he had said to the other employees at the store, hell he had not even noticed Sungmin had already left until he ungracefully bumped into him on his rampant to the taxi point.

He felt baffled though, by the offer the writer had given him, he had felt stunned at knowing Sungmin lived so damn close to the store. When they reached the hospital reception he quickly asked for his grandmother’s whereabouts and was informed she was in a VIP apartment. He breathed a sigh of relief at hearing that, if she was in an apartment it meant nothing really major had happened.

When the two reached the right floor and the right door Youngwoon knocked on it, but he couldn’t make himself go in after hearing his father’s voice had been the one replying him. Somehow he still felt not ready to see his father.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


Youngwoon had been the first to reach the reception and Sungmin had to smile slightly at seeing his relieved expression when they were informed his grandma was in an apartment, a VIP apartment. That had not really sounded right.

The two of them had tried not to run through the corridors, but the writer could tell how eager Youngwoon was to reach his grandmother, so he couldn’t really understand why Youngwoon had not pushed the door open when they were told they could go in.

Sungmin reached for Youngwoon’s wrist, holding it tenderly. “Hyung, what’s wrong?” he asked softly but the only reply he got was Youngwoon moving in his hold and lacing their fingers together. The waiter’s hand was sweaty in his, cold, he was slightly shivering and Sungmin felt like Youngwoon wanted to get some kind of strength from Sungmin. The writer was about to question once again when an older female voice had sternly ordered Youngwoon to come in.

Youngwoon closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening the door. He never let go of Sungmin’s hand though.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


“Youngwoon, come in already.” Youngwoon’s grandmother ordered from inside the room, after all, she knew the kid was just outside the door battling with himself if he should see his father or not. It was strange how well she knew him and how he simply couldn’t go against her orders. He opened the door and poked his head inside, not allowing anyone to see him fully. His parents were there as he expected.

“Grandma, if you are ordering me around like that, then I can go back to the store. Rest and get all better soon, okay?” Youngwoon said cheerfully before retreating and pretty much trying to close the door.

“Get. In.” His grandmother retorted and Youngwoon knew better than to turn around, so he let go of Sungmin’s hand and opened the door revealing them both.

“Thank you for coming with me, Sungmin-ah, but you can go home,” Youngwoon told his younger friend, secretly loving the disapproving frown on the younger’s face.

“I can wait for you downstairs.” The younger replied but Youngwoon’s grandmother wouldn’t have that.

“Oh, Sungmin-ssi came with you, come in both of you.” She said and the two youngsters looked surprised at her.

Sungmin didn’t miss the disapproving, almost repulsive look Youngwoon’s father had on, or the shocked expression his mother had on, but what really shook is ground was the sight of the old lady on the bed. It was the lady he saw at the store and the lady he saw with Youngwoon that Sunday a few days back. Sungmin couldn’t deny the relief that washed over him. The writer bowed at the elders before walking in after Youngwoon, who was once again nervous as he closed the door.

“As you said, Youngwoon, I’m in perfect shape to give orders around and I am glad you came running like that. The doctors said that I have to rest and tomorrow I have an important meeting with the suppliers for the factory, they are bringing some samples they want us to use and I definitely can’t let your father deal with them, so you’ll go in my place.” The old lady stated matter-of-fact earning a surprised ‘what?’ from Youngwoon and a ‘Mother, you can’t!’ from Youngwoon’s dad.

“Yes, I can. The factory is mine. Youngnam, you know you didn’t inherit my accurate palate, how can I let you deal sampling of new ingredients? Youngwoon, on the other hand, came much more after me. I told you before. When I am no longer capable of my duties you would take over the chocolate factory and Youngwoon the store, but regardless he must be the one dealing with the purchase of new ingredients for our new recipes, as he should be the one to come up with them. For as long as I am alive that’s how it should be, you can kick him out after I am dead, that is if you still did not accept that this kid is wonderful, even though he likes boys.” Youngwoon’s grandmother said sternly.

And like that Sungmin understood there was so much more behind Youngwoon than the eye could see. He was not just some poor waiter as he had thought, he was the heir of a chocolate empire.

“What time should I be at the factory?” Youngwoon asked with a small voice, he didn’t want to go against his father more than what he already did, he loved the man despite no longer being accepted for the way he was, but even less he could go against that big part of his heart that was his grandmother.

“First I want you to look at the recipes and taste the new flavors I had been working with, so be at the kitchen around eight, the meeting is in the afternoon so you should have enough time to go through my notes and make ones of your own. I only trust you, Youngwoon.” The old lady replied and at that Sungmin couldn’t help but once again reach for Youngwoon’s hand, but this time already lacing their fingers together and squeezing to show his support. The young male seemed way too frail at that moment.

“Please, show this PDA somewhere else! I don’t want to see what my son became, even less with someone that is probably just after his money. Have you told him already? That you no longer have any right to the inheritance other than that store?” Youngwoon’s father nearly shouted, but his wife had already reached for him to prevent him to say more. She didn’t like the situation, she was more prone to accept Youngwoon and she definitely didn’t want to rub salt in her son’s wounds.

“Youngnam!” Youngwoon’s grandmother warned but Youngwoon tried his best to keep his emotions in check when he spoke again, choosing to ignore his father’s words and hoping Sungmin would do so too. “I’ll be there, grandma, please rest and get well soon. I’m going back to close the store.” He said as he bowed and then stormed out of the room pulling a baffled Sungmin with him.

Sungmin had wanted to say something witty, something snarky, but he refrained because he didn’t want to start a fight with the man, even less in front of two ladies. He also refrained because of Youngwoon and the immense hurt he saw on his face. The moment they were out and the door was closed, they walked hand in hand for three steps before Youngwoon let go with a very small “I’m sorry for that.” before he actually laid against the closest wall and let himself fall on the floor. Sungmin crouched in front of him in mere seconds.

“Hey… It’s not your fault… Don’t be like that, please?” Sungmin coed holding Youngwoon’s hands with one of his as the other caressed his hair and the side of his face. “Are you confident you can meet your grandmother’s standard?” he asked with a tentative smile and the older nodded wordlessly, he had, after all, vowed to never let his grandmother down. “Then you’re good, I’m good and everything will be as good. C’mon, the other employees must be worried.” Sungmin retorted pulling Youngwoon back on his feet, the next thing he knew Youngwoon was holding him tightly.

“Thank you, Sungmin.” To the writer, it had sounded in his head as a clear and heartfelt ‘I love you’.

“You’re welcome, Youngwoon… hyung.” He hopped Youngwoon had felt his words as an ‘I love you too’. Because at that very second Sungmin was certain of his feelings, and of how precious Youngwoon was.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


The next day, as Sungmin expected, Youngwoon didn’t show up at the store, his cappuccino though was dutifully served in his personal cup.

“He didn’t see your reply yet,” The waitress said softly as she saw the way Sungmin cradled the cup in his hand and brushed the words with his thumb. The writer looked up surprised but then he smiled slightly. “I guessed that much. But I know he’ll see it soon,” He retorted. The waitress had tried to say something else but Sungmin raised his hand in a sign for her to stop. “I don’t need reassuring of why he is not here, I just hope he is ok.”

The waitress frowned but ended up bowing and going back to do her chores. She also hoped Youngwoon was ok. Dealing with the factory had always been his dream, a dream he had given up when his father sent him away.

Later when Sungmin got back home, the guy at the reception called for him. “Sungmin-ssi, that friend of yours from yesterday passed by a few minutes ago, he asked me to give you this, because he didn’t know your apartment number.”

The writer had felt surprised but he went over and picked up the small box. Inside the safety of his apartment Sungmin opened up the wrapping and gasped at the logo printed on the box, it was one of the best national brands of chocolate, it was a brand him and Kyuhyun loved. When he pulled up the cover Sungmin saw a card with Youngwoon’s handwriting. | As a ‘thank you’ and an ‘I am sorry’ for yesterday. The one in the middle is the new recipe, chocolate with pepper, the ones at the corners are chocolate with cherry and the remaining are pure chocolate.|

Sungmin lifted the card to stare at the delicate sweets and smiled feeling all warm inside, he picked up the one in the middle. “Sorry, Kyuhyun, this time you won’t beat me in tasting their new seasonal release.” He popped the chocolate into his mouth but then gasped slightly popping a pure chocolate one afterward. He picked up his phone and texted Youngwoon. | You put too much pepper.| but he was just joking, the real thing was that Sungmin couldn’t really take spicy stuff, even if it was wrapped in chocolate. He smiled at the concerned reply he got back from Youngwoon and typed his own reply.

| Joking, it’s good, but I prefer the ones with cherry. Take note of that.|

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


The next day was the grand day for two reasons, first, it was Kyuhyun and Jongwoon’s 1000th days together celebration and maybe the day Sungmin would get a reply for what he had written in the cup. As it was an exceptional day, Sungmin was at the store as early as it opened with bags and a small air machine for balloons.

“I have been assigned to do the decorations,” Sungmin told the lady at the cashier with a forced smile, that’s definitely not how he had expected his day to be, but his bad moon went flying out of the window when he was told he could go up because Youngwoon was there preparing the drink machines.

“Morning, hyung! Ready to help me?!” the boy cheered as he entered, startling the focused waiter. Despite the first fright and some bickering because Youngwoon affirmed the store wouldn’t help with decorations, the waiter still helped move tables, arranging flowers and putting up curtains. When much of the hard work was done it was already close to lunch so Youngwoon offered some cake and a drink to the younger, eating some of that himself.

Somewhere around two in the afternoon Sungmin had half of the hall’s floor covered with pearl colored balloons and Youngwoon had finally finished fixing up the coffee machine. “Do you want your cappuccino, Sungmin-ah?” Youngwoon questioned light-hearted with a small smile, since the air conditioner was on, the ambient was quite cool so Sungmin felt the cappuccino would be very welcome.

Youngwoon prepared the drink and put it on the counter, excusing himself to go see if the desserts ordered for the party were being made nicely. Sungmin didn’t think much about that but when he did turn around to get the cup he saw it was ‘his cup’ and that he had a reply, more like a question. Under Youngwoon’s previous message he had written | Can I touch your lips instead? |

Sungmin laughed as he turned off the air machine to savor his cappuccino, thinking of what he should reply. Upon deciding his words Sungmin fumbled in his bags for a permanent pen and wrote under his previous words his reply to the question.

When Youngwoon was back in the room the cup was pretty much as he had placed it on the counter, Sungmin was tying up a balloon as if nothing major had happened. When the waiter got close though he saw his reply and smiled brightly.

I want to be touched instead. |

Sungmin was sitting on a stool at the opposite side of the counter, Youngwoon loomed over it slightly, softly touching Sungmin’s chin to make the younger look back at him, the next thing the writer knew there were soft lips nibbling on his. The kiss was not rushed, just their lips massaging each other at a slow sweet pace.

They were startled away as the balloon Sungmin had been filling exploded in his hand for having too much air pumped into it. They both laughed at the happening. Afterwards, the writer had tried to focus on the task at hand, but Youngwoon decided he should throughout attend Sungmin’s wish by caressing the younger’s cheek, ear, and neck with his fingertips. At one point though, Sungmin angrily shut off the air machine and pulled Youngwoon in for another kiss. He had filled the hall with enough balloons already.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


Youngwoon didn’t really like to wear a tux, but Kyuhyun had shown up earlier asking if the waiter could kindly dress up as some sort of butler. Youngwoon would have refused, but the younger had come in the room while waiter and pseudo decorator were engaged in a tongue battle. Therefore he was there, dressed in a tux waiting for the customers. Jongwoon had been the first to arrive for the appointment and professionally Youngwoon took him to the decorated hall.

He went by his routine then, questioned his customer for an order and upon receiving a negative reply, walked to his spot behind the counter. He proceeded to watch the other male then, how he was smiling boyishly at the decoration, how his small hands would toy with the flowers on the table and the candle holders.

| JW arrived.|

He sent the message to Sungmin to start his part on the play.

| OK |

Sungmin replied causing the waiter to frown slightly in a pout, could it be that Sungmin was angry with him? Afraid to push his luck he didn’t reply to that text and just waited for the moment the door would be opened again, one of his co-workers had been assigned to bring Kyuhyun up after all.

Yet fifteen minutes later Kyuhyun had still given no sign of life.

| Tell me when JW stands up to go check out the candle holders by the window. |

Sungmin suddenly texted him. That request, even though was weird, seemed to prove how the writer knew his friends, so other than send a text back questioning why that would happen Youngwoon just fixed his gaze on his customer and indeed not three minutes later Jongwoon stood up and, cautiously as to not step on any balloon, walked to the chandelier by the window to inspect the flowers and candles adorning it.

| He just did. |

He informed his crush and moments later a reply came.

| Finally kicked Kyuhyun out of my apartment, he should be there any moment now. |

That piece of information had seemed to stir some sort of jealousy in Youngwoon.

| Why was he at your place? |

He questioned then, not really minding that he was so not focusing on his job anymore.

| Kyuhyun’s craziness, he said he wanted to be late so he could ‘redeem himself’ with the proposal. Ignore the kid.|

Youngwoon was in the least baffled but before he could reply to that Jongwoon called for him. “Could you prepare two hot mochaccinos and bring a glass of water?”

“Of course.” Youngwoon placed his phone aside and proceeded to prepare the order, when he had placed the three items on his tray the door opened and Kyuhyun walked in, kind of breathless as if he had run all the way from Sungmin’s apartment.

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” Kyuhyun said as he took a seat. Jongwoon just chuckled and motioned for Youngwoon to bring his request. Mute, the waiter walked closer and took first the glass of water putting it in front of Kyuhyun after a short glance Jongwoon’s way for confirmation, afterward he served the hot drinks.

“Next time don’t forget that Sungmin lives on the last duplex floor, I hope you did wait for the elevator.” Jongwoon mused watching his boyfriend drinking his cup of water.

“Can’t I ever surprise you?” Kyuhyun asked a little unhappy, Jongwoon chuckled again.

“Maybe if you stop being so predictable. But I did love the atmosphere, Heechul had a nice idea this time around,” he replied before looking up at Youngwoon. “Can I see the menu?” he asked and the waiter promptly handed it to his customer, who did seem surprised at what he read.

“I knew you would ask mochaccino so I prepared a special menu,” Kyuhyun spoke with a smirk before looking up at Youngwoon and nodding.

The waiter moved back to the counter and picked up the special plate full of delicate chocolate sweets with different shapes and fillings. After placing the plate in the middle of the table Youngwoon walked back to the counter and watched as the couple started talking while taking sips of their drinks and eating the sweets, feeding each other and enjoying the moment.

| How is the torture going? |

Sungmin suddenly texted and Youngwoon chuckled lowly on his phone.

| It’s halfway, they are almost finished with the sweets.|

The waiter replied and already started preparing the next round of Kyuhyun’s surprise.

| Tell me when you serve the cake.|

Sungmin probed a moment later and Youngwoon had to grin.

| I’m on my way.|

He warned before pushing the serving cart to the couple’s table.

“Ok, Kyuhyun, This time you really overcame yourself.” Jongwoon marveled over the dark chocolate tart where was written ‘Happy 1000th days together’, then at the bottle of wine that came along with it. Professionally Youngwoon first served the wine and then gently cut the tart to serve each a piece, then he moved back to behind the counter and watched.

The couple toasted for their anniversary and ate their pieces of tart. Youngwoon couldn’t hear their whispered talk but he was glad that they had such a blissful expression on their faces, the love they felt for each other was evident and he found himself imagining him and Sungmin in their places, he sincerely hoped Sungmin would look at him with such tender loving eyes.

Yet moments later Kyuhyun picked from his pocket a black ring box and opened it up showing it to Jongwoon, who laughed and shook his head.

| Problem |

Youngwoon sent a message to Sungmin to warn that the plan could go wrong, but then Jongwoon placed another ring box opened for Kyuhyun.

|What?!|

Sungmin had replied clearly in panic, so Youngwoon quickly replied.

| JW proposed too! They are exchanging rings right now. |

Sungmin didn’t reply to that message, instead, he barged in a few minutes later with eight more people and the party really started from there.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


The following days were not so eventful, Sungmin kept coming by his usual time and kept asking for his usual, the noticeable difference was on how they would spend a while smiling at each other. Even the message cup was still being used and it went like that until Friday when Sungmin got a new cup and a new message.

| Let’s go on a date tomorrow? |

A few customers looked weirdly at Sungmin for he started to laugh out of the blue after reading the message. The writer gave them no damn as he dutifully continued with this story while drinking his cappuccino, yet when he was finished, he picked up a permanent marker he kept on his laptop case and wrote Youngwoon a reply, that the waiter only saw when he fetched the cup after Sungmin had left.

| Pick me up at 9. |

And thus that Saturday was their official first date. They didn’t do much, just walked around a park as they kept conversing about themselves, getting to know facts from each other’s lives. Sungmin claimed his life was rather uneventful when it came to relationships, he had dated before, only girls, until he noticed he was the only straight guy among his friends and wondered why his relationships had never felt right, Youngwoon was actually the first guy he was dating. On the other hand, Youngwoon claimed his love life had been so far a disaster, he had ever fallen in love once and that it was with the guy that had pretty much destroyed his life.

“I had flirted a lot with girls, and I still do, I find it funny how they try so hard yet none had gotten to me, they were always only after my looks or my money so I never considered dating. When I went to college I roomed with this guy, he had no sense of privacy, he was funny and became someone I could lean on whenever. He soon became my best friend and without noticing I was falling head first.” Youngwoon said as he laid against a tree and played with Sungmin’s hair as the younger was laying his head on his lap.

“You’ve confessed first?” Sungmin enquired softly, he didn’t want to bring bad memories but he also wanted to know what happened, so he wouldn’t feel as unprepared as he did that day at the hospital.

Youngwoon shook his head. “He had been the one confessing and I had given him all my first times, he had promised me forever but that forever ended the moment I told him my father had disowned me and I was barefoot. Suddenly he had to move out and go back to his homeland, suddenly he cut all ties.”

Sungmin bit his lip at the implications of those words, it felt like Youngwoon didn’t want to say the guy was only after his money even though it did sound like that. He could understand where Youngwoon’s father had come from with his words that day and he felt sad for the family as a whole.

“My father had told me to reconsider my crazy actions but he did disown me when I told him I didn’t care if my first love had been so wrecked, I was certain I wouldn’t fall in love with a girl,” Youngwoon said not looking at Sungmin, but at the trees scattered around the empty park. He didn’t want to pressure the younger with the fact he was the first guy he was falling in love with after facing such deception, he merely wanted him to know he would try his best to be Sungmin’s first as well as his last.

Sungmin, after hearing the details from the plotline of the story he had guessed that time at the hospital, was left with an ache in his heart and a wish he would be able to keep Youngwoon’s heart safe. Feeling glad that they were alone at that side of the park, Sungmin sat up and held Youngwoon tenderly, his only reply to that heartfelt explanation from the older was to reach the taller male’s mouth with his own.

He would be Youngwoon’s first as well, the first and only successful lifelong relationship.

 

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..



The couple’s resolutions were tested a few months later. Sungmin had been on his table, drinking his usual while writing his novel, but at being Youngwoon’s boyfriend he would more often than not look up and watch the waiter do his job. He frowned at seeing how tense Youngwoon was, there was no grace on his movements as he prepared a drink and then picked up a piece of cake, he had a forced smile on his lips as he moved to place the order on a table where a lone guy was intently looking at him. Some sort of alarm rang inside Sungmin when the guy reached and touched Youngwoon’s arm, saying something he couldn’t hear, he didn’t like how Youngwoon became nervous, how he kindly but hesitantly pushed the hand away. Sungmin didn’t like any of that.

The writer raised a hand to catch Youngwoon’s attention and call for him, for a moment he felt afraid the waiter would not notice him since he was acting so out of character, but mere seconds later Youngwoon was looking at him with a slightly confused expression. He beckoned his boyfriend close and the waiter didn’t lose a second into excusing himself and practically running to Sungmin.

There was a heavy feeling in his chest as the guy followed Youngwoon with his eyes, momentarily staring at him with a confused frown. Driven by some sort of possessive feeling Sungmin looked up at Youngwoon and exactly like the guy had done he held his boyfriend's arm and asked worriedly. “Are you ok?”

The waiter smiled down at his boyfriend as the question filled him with warmth, even if there was a cold wind blowing in his stomach. “Not really. Can you nurse me after my shift is over?” Youngwoon asked tentatively with a small blush.

Sungmin smirked as he moved his hold from Youngwoon’s arm to lace their fingers momentarily. “Can I nurse you throughout the night?” he asked causing his boyfriend to chuckle as usual, with a happy light tone.

“You take such good care of me.” he retorted pulling Sungmin’s hand up to kiss his fingers. “I love you,” Youngwoon mumbled before he let go of Sungmin’s hand to pick up the empty cup from the table. “Do you want another cup?” he asked.

Sungmin pouted. “I want my cup, where did you kidnap it to?”

Youngwoon grinned boyishly down at his boyfriend. “It’s a secret,” he said before turning around to continue doing his job.

Instantly Sungmin’s eyes got drowned to the fierce stare the strange customer was shooting him with. The writer stared back until the guy looked back at Youngwoon who was attending to another customer.

Somehow Sungmin didn’t want to leave until either that guy would leave or Youngwoon would finish his shift. It happened the guy left not long after, Sungmin looked at his laptop’s clock and decided he could go to the convenience store to buy something to cook for dinner.

 

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..



Youngwoon had felt glad when he saw his ex-boyfriend leaving the store, he had never considered that the guy would dare face him again, even less appear out of the blue asking to ‘talk’. What had agitated him the most was the fact that Sungmin had been there at the store too, he didn’t want them to meet, he didn’t want his past and his present in the same room.

Around twenty minutes after his shift was over, Youngwoon was entering Sungmin’s apartment building, with a smile for the promise of spending the night there. The security guard had greeted him as well as the receptionist.

“Sir, can you please inform who are you going to visit?” the receptionist asked as Youngwoon pushed the button to call the elevator.

“I’m here with him.” Youngwoon felt a shiver run up his spine when he heard the familiar voice of his ex-boyfriend.

“You are not with me. I don’t remember inviting you.” Youngwoon spat back, turning around to face the male he once thought he knew so well. He was no longer at his workplace so he didn’t bother to be polite, he just had the mind to keep his volume down because even though he felt at home there, he was not a resident and thus he didn’t want to bring Sungmin problems for causing a ruckus.

“Youngwoon, please, we need to talk, I need to tell you why I left,” the guy said taking a step towards Youngwoon, but stopping once the waiter pointedly looked at the security guard as if telling him to take his ex-boyfriend away. “Don’t be like this Youngwoon, I did that for you, I couldn’t let your family break apart, now that they accept you, we can try to get them to accept us. I’m no longer a good for nothing, now I can be your equal.” the guy said as he signed for the security guard to please wait even though he didn’t turn around.

Youngwoon smiled bitterly not really believing he was living that. “Just what makes you think they had accepted me?” the waiter spat angrily.

“Youngwoon, I know, if not why would you be living in this kind of place? Why would you be working disguised at the chocolate store? Now we really have a chance. You don’t have to ask your friends to act to get me jealous, I still love you.” The guy said once again taking a step towards Youngwoon but a hand landed on his shoulder and he was harshly being pulled back.

“Sorry to say, but you won’t stand a chance,” Sungmin placed himself between the two, his back facing Youngwoon as the writer stood his ground. “If you really loved him you would have stood beside him until his family would have no option but to accept you. You claim you were not his equal? What do you consider equal then? It doesn’t matter why you left, you can’t just walk back in like that.”

Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend once again stared angrily at Sungmin. “This doesn’t concern you. This is something between me and Youngwoon. Get lost.”

“You’re right. It doesn’t concern me, it is something between you and Youngwoon, but the one to get lost is you.” Sungmin spat looking at the security guard and nodding. “Don’t ever let this guy in again.”

Youngwoon who had been unable to say anything during their exchange approached Sungmin and wrapped an arm around his waist. Taking a firm grip on his boyfriend, he looked at his ex-boyfriend and replied what he had been about to say when Sungmin butted in. “Myungsoo, even if you still supposedly love me, I do not love you anymore. I don’t need and I don’t want to hear what you have to say, the reason why you left is no longer important, and you don’t have a reason to come back, I can’t and I don’t want to take you back because I have already been wholehearted taken. Please, don’t come looking for me anymore. I am no longer the Youngwoon you knew.”

“Youngwoon, he is probably just using you!” the guy said as the security guard took hold of him. Sungmin scoffed.

“Not everybody is like you.” And after saying that Sungmin pulled Youngwoon to the stairs.

The waiter had felt slightly alarmed. “Min, your apartment is in the top floor, have mercy on me!” he said because he knew his boyfriend, whenever Sungmin was angry when he got home, he would take the stairs until he would calm down. Sungmin lived on the 28th floor and once Youngwoon had been kinda forced to climb up ten floors with a fuming Sungmin.

Yet that had not exactly been the case, Sungmin was angry, yes, but he didn’t want to directly tell Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend that he was wrong about who lived there, his boyfriend’s plea had been enough, exactly like he had planned. When they arrived at the next floor they waited for the elevator as the writer had explained his plan.

Back in the apartment, they reassured each other about their feelings, Youngwoon revealed what he knew about his ex-boyfriend, asking the younger not to imply Myungsoo had been using him. At understanding their situation Sungmin decided to naughtily nurse Youngwoon through the whole night. Yet some part of him still felt insecure.

 

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..



Nevertheless, Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend didn’t give up just like that. For a few more days he kept on following Youngwoon around until he was convinced that he had been somehow wrong, Youngwoon still didn’t have the approval from his parents and was struggling to have the ends meet, even though he went to the chocolate factory more often than not on weekends. He also noticed how Sungmin had become the center of Youngwoon’s world and thus he concluded he first had to ruin the writer’s image in Youngwoon’s eyes. The guy proceeded then to follow Sungmin around until he got the perfect opportunity to ruin their relationship. Or so he thought.

The writer had left home early to the publishing house that was in charge of his books, he had spent a few hours there before taking a detour home. Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend followed him to a fancy looking store specialized in wines.

“How is my baby Kyu doing?” Sungmin greeted the lanky taller guy at the other side of the counter.

“Ah Hyung! You finally have time for me? You made me feel lonely.” Kyuhyun replied with a chuckle. “How is the boyfriend doing?” he asked taking a seat.

“Doing great. I want some white wine today. Something fruity.” Sungmin replied looking at the bottles behind Kyuhyun.

“Fruity? Are you serving it with white chocolate?” the younger enquired already moving to the right shelf to pick a brand he liked quite a lot.

“Yes. I’m serving Strawberries with white chocolate fondue.” Sungmin smirked. “I’m planning some strawberry seduction.”

Kyuhyun made a face. “Oh please, hyung, I don’t want to hear your plans, fewer details please.” The younger went to pick a certain bottle and then placed it on the counter. “I think this one would go perfectly, do you want to try?”

Sungmin nodded before picking up a small box of white chocolate sweets, Kyuhyun smirked at how well prepared his hyung was. He picked up two glasses and served the wine for the both of them. While he was at it Sungmin picked another box of chocolate from his bag and gave it to Kyuhyun. “Here, for you. The latest release from the brand. It will only start selling next week. The blessings of dating Youngwoon.” Sungmin said with a chuckle.

It was evident how Kyuhyun was elated with the gift. Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend swiftly took pictures of the moment with a wide smirk. He had evidence. He believed Sungmin was done for.

The guy still took more pictures of the two of them, Sungmin eating the white chocolates with the wine, while Kyuhyun was savoring the black ones, not drinking from his glass. “You’re right, I do think this one is perfect, it’s already marvelous with just the chocolate, adding the strawberry it will be divine.” Sungmin had mumbled while Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend made himself known.

“I knew you would screw up sooner or later. Cheating on Youngwoon and evidently just using him to get first-hand gifts for your lover, you are the one despicable. I’m getting Youngwoon back, just you watch.” The guy snarled showing off the proof he had gotten with his phone, before storming out of the store to look for Youngwoon.

“Who was that?!” Kyuhyun asked worried as he pat Sungmin’s back, the writer had chocked on the sweet on his mouth at the sudden words spoken to him.

“Son of a !” Sungmin snarled. “He is Youngwoon’s ex-boyfriend, the guy is delusional thinking Youngwoon would still go back to him. I want to kill him! He’s going to ruin our anniversary!”

Kyuhyun stared at his hyung in a surprised wonder. “Hyung… You really fell head first,” The younger said with a small happy smile. “I don’t think that guy can ruin anything. When he shows off the photo Youngwoon hyung will not misunderstand. You know it.”

Sungmin made a disgruntled sound. “That’s exactly the problem, he will understand what he shouldn’t!”

Kyuhyun looked at his hyung surprised. “Does he know much about wine?” he enquired then, looking at the bottle on the counter.

Sungmin sighed. “He does know much about my wine taste.”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “Cheer up, Sungmin hyung. What if he finds out about the chocolate and wine? I bet he will still be clueless towards the strawberry part.”

Sungmin smirked at the younger then. It was true, he could just add some more to the strawberry part.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


Youngwoon was preparing a drink for a customer when his ex-boyfriend walked in and immediately called for his attention. The waiter gave him one look and then continued working. “Didn’t I tell you not to show up again?” he asked annoyed, trying to keep his volume down not to alarm his co-workers or the customers.

“Youngwoon, I told you that guy is just using you! He is cheating on you!” Myungsoo said with an urgent tone, somewhat loving, somewhat desperate.

The waiter placed the cup on the counter and softly asked his co-worker to serve the customer in his place. As she left, Youngwoon looked fiercely at his ex-boyfriend. “Don’t you dare speak evil of him. You don’t know him, I do.”

Myungsoo scoffed. “Oh really? Do you know about this?” he said picking up his phone and showing off the photos he had taken at the wine store. At first, all Youngwoon saw was Sungmin delivering the gift Youngwoon had promised to Kyuhyun and the two childhood friends drinking wine. But then he frowned, picked up the phone and really looked at the picture, Sungmin was not eating the chocolates he had given Kyuhyun, he was eating white chocolate and the open bottle was of white wine, he knew for a fact Kyuhyun wouldn’t drink that while eating black chocolate.

“I can’t believe I actually have to thank you,” Youngwoon grunted to a happy smiling Myungsoo that had completely misunderstood his words. He just watched expectantly as Youngwoon fished his own phone and startled fumbling with it. In fact, Youngwoon was sending a text message to Kyuhyun. |Min is really preparing white for our anniversary? I’m gonna call in a bit don’t let him hear if he is still with you that is.|

After sending that he walked to a corner to have some more privacy, even if his ex-boyfriend still followed him, Myungsoo wanted to hear the break-up, that’s what he believed would happen.

“Is he still with you?” Youngwoon asked Kyuhyun in a calm voice.

‘I’m trying to keep him here to prevent him from committing murder. Your ex-boyfriend pissed him to no extent.’ The younger replied before he sighed. ‘You know, you guys are really a match, Sungmin is actually pissed because he was sure you would find out about his white plans, which you did by just looking at a photo, why am I surrounded by smart people?’

Youngwoon scoffed. “Keep your genius talk for later, baby Kyu.”

‘Yah! Only Min and Woonie are allowed to call me that.’ Kyuhyun interrupted to which Youngwoon rolled his eyes.

“I’m Woonie too. What more is he planning? I don’t believe it’s just white.” Youngwoon probed because he wanted to make sure his plans for the day would match Sungmin’s.

‘Hyung, I don’t have a death wish, of course, I won’t tell you.’ Kyuhyun replied with an offended tone.

“I’ll give you a box of our seasonal chocolates one week before every release.” Youngwoon bribed and smirked as Kyuhyun replied with no hesitance. ‘Strawberry. Make it two and I’ll give you more info.’

Youngwoon laughed. “You guys deserve each other, really. I’ll send two boxes just because I’m fond of you too, kid. Take care of my Ming.” The waiter replied before hanging up.

When he turned around his ex-boyfriend was gapping at him so to say. “I told you. You don’t know him. I do. Let me make this clear once and for all. I also know you. When my grandmother gave me her blessings the first thing I did was to look for you. I hope your daughter was out of the hospital fast. I didn’t want you to know I knew why you left, but now let’s end this here.” Youngwoon pushed past his ex-boyfriend who still held on to his arm.

“If you know that, then you know I do love you,” Myungsoo said with a pained tone.

Youngwoon released himself, turning around to face his ex-boyfriend once and for all. “I know you left me when I needed you beside me the most, I know you never had ulterior motives, such as going after my money, what destroyed my love for you was the fact you didn’t tell me your ex-girlfriend was pregnant, nor that there was a chance you would be forced to marry her. You didn’t share your problems. To you, going back to her was an attempt to get us time, I know that, but I only understood that when I fell in love with Sungmin. Stop pursuing me. Stop all this. I love Sungmin and Sungmin loves me. That’s all that matters in the world for me at the moment.”

Even after hearing that Myungsoo didn’t feel like giving up, yet as he kept following Sungmin, he noticed that the writer’s actions also seemed to have Youngwoon’s wellbeing as the center of his world. Like that Myungsoo had to accept defeat towards Sungmin.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


A few days later was an awaited day. Youngwoon was doing his job diligently, yet he kept looking at the clock as the usual time Sungmin would show up had come and gone. Around closing hours Youngwoon received a text from Sungmin. | Meet me at your apartment?| the waiter had felt it weird, the whole week they had been planning on spending that day at Sungmin’s place. Rather unsure about the change, and somehow fearing it had something to do with Myungsoo, Youngwoon rushed home as fast as he could.

When he arrived at his apartment, the sun had already sat and Youngwoon had felt bad, they had promised to watch the sunset together that day. Tiredly he opened his door and flickered on the lights, but the apartment continued dark. Youngwoon tried the switch a few more times wondering why he was out of electricity on such an important day. He was about to curse his luck when a small flame was lighted up in his living room. In the dim light, Youngwoon could see Sungmin holding a candle and lighting up other candles scattered around the center table.

Feeling his heart aching sweetly Youngwoon closed the door so he could be fully engulfed by that warm atmosphere Sungmin was creating. He dumped his bag in a corner and slowly approached his grinning boyfriend. Up the table, Sungmin had placed two glasses of wine, a plate full of white chocolate sweets, a plate full of strawberries and a fondue set.

“That’s not exactly what we had planned.” Youngwoon accused sitting down next to Sungmin who was smiling softly.

“Surprise?” the younger shot cradling Youngwoon’s face in his hands and leaning in for a kiss.

“A very good one.” Youngwoon retorted as they pulled apart.

“Let’s toast then,” Sungmin announced picking up the glasses and handing one to Youngwoon.

“Happy hundred days.” They chorused as they toasted.

After a first sip of the wine, Sungmin picked a sweet. “Taste this.” He said basically forcing the sweet into Youngwoon’s mouth. The older guy chewed with a blank expression, but then he shook his head. “You put too much strawberry, next time make the pieces smaller.” He rated but then grinned at his pouting boyfriend. “It’s delicious for a first try.”

Sungmin accepted that compliment, taking a strawberry and dipping it into the white chocolate fondue. “What about this one?” he asked once again putting the treat in Youngwoon’s mouth. As he took a bite some of the juice spilled through the side of his mouth and Sungmin promptly it in a slightly way too y move.

“Min, I want to last for the night,” Youngwoon commented as he pulled his boyfriend closer. The younger seemed to be having too much fun teasing him.

“Since you want so bad to have a strawberry, let me give you one,” Youngwoon said as he picked a particularly big strawberry, drowned it into the fondue before taking it to his own mouth, he bit on half of it, holding the fruit with his teeth and offering the treat like that. Sungmin groaned lowly at the sight but didn’t waste time into taking the offer, making sure he also tasted Youngwoon’s lips in the process.

Sungmin picked up a sweet next. “And we only had one sip of wine.” He said before scooting closer and offering the sweet, imitating his boyfriend.

.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


When they went to sleep later, after finishing their dinner, they had a silent agreement: they should visit the strawberry farm, they had gone to at their last date, much more often for more fresh juicy strawberries.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


The next morning Sungmin woke up with a sweetly aching body, a very light head and lungs filled with the delicious smell of sweets in the air. Groggily he walked out of Youngwoon’s bedroom and padded to the kitchen where he found Youngwoon seating in front of a delicious looking strawberry tart.

“You provided the dinner, I provided the breakfast,” Youngwoon announced and like a little child Sungmin rushed to take a seat as well.

“So beautiful.” He marveled at the treat before looking at his boyfriend lovingly. “I’m glad you don’t work in the kitchen.” The younger said before planting a good morning kiss on Youngwoon’s lips.

“Why is that?” Youngwoon probed gracefully cutting the tart to give Sungmin a piece.

“Because I can monopolize the desserts you make, and because if you were in the kitchen I wouldn’t be able to watch you.” Sungmin thought back a little more and added. “If you worked in the kitchen we wouldn’t have met.”

Youngwoon smiled and shook his head. “We would have met, if I worked in the kitchen I would go from table to table to inquire how the customers liked my cooking, and when I would land my eyes on you I would think of a way to approach. I know I would.”

Sungmin grinned. “Sappy.” Youngwoon grinned back standing up.

“Only for you.” He said as he proceeded to prepare something for Sungmin to drink along with the tart. When he was back to the table Sungmin smiled brightly at the sight of ‘his cup’.

“So this is where you had kidnapped my cup to!” the younger accused as he took the first sip of his homemade cappuccino.

“Of course, now you are only allowed to drink from it if you come visit me,” Youngwoon stated as he served himself a piece of tart.

Needless to say, Sungmin came to visit Youngwoon’s apartment much more often after that.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


As the months passed and the seasons changed Youngwoon started to sleep over at Sungmin’s apartment more often, claiming the roads were too packed with snow and cold winds, plus his apartment was also cold. He preferred Sungmin’s warm company. Of course, the writer didn’t mind one bit the change in their relationship to the point he felt it weird when Youngwoon was not there, which tended to be mostly on weekends when his grandmother would demand her grandson’s time.

Sometimes Sungmin would also go with them on her shopping spares, he would never forget the day she had first really talked to him. He had been at his table immersed in the little world he was creating when she sat on a chair opposite him, handing him a book and a pen. Sungmin had looked puzzled at her at first until he noticed it was one of his most recent books. “I figured you could give me an autograph.” She had probed and from then on he felt like he had gotten another grandmother.

Everything was so perfect in their relationship it was just a bit scary and Sungmin couldn’t stop thinking that it was the right time for them to face another hardship. Yet life didn’t follow his fiction timeframe and in fact something rather warming happened.

One morning Sungmin lazily moved around his kitchen to prepare himself a late breakfast when he saw there was something on his cup. He actually rubbed his eyes at the sight of the two little words written right under the spot his lips would touch the porcelain surface.

| I envy |

Sungmin stared at it and wondered why Youngwoon would be envious of that poor little cup. Nevertheless, he was smiling, it seemed that writing on cups became their trademark.

Later when Youngwoon arrived to spend the night, Sungmin asked: “What is it that the clueless cup has that you don’t?”

Youngwoon just grinned at his boyfriend and did not reply, he didn’t want to spoil his message and no matter how much Sungmin nagged the waiter didn’t let anything off. So Sungmin decided to retaliate, he picked up the mug Youngwoon usually used when he slept over and wrote a message the waiter only saw the next morning. | Don’t annoy the writer, you may become the star of his next thriller.|

The next day, as usual, Youngwoon had been up first and when the writer made it to the kitchen breakfast was ready waiting for him. Once again Sungmin felt like he had a little piece of heaven. “I took mercy on you, so make me the handsome main character.” Youngwoon suddenly said as he gave Sungmin his dutiful good morning kiss and then took a bite of his scrambled eggs.

“Mercy on me?” Sungmin asked lifting his cup to drink his coffee and that was when he understood. Youngwoon had mercifully written down the whole message other than going through two-and-two words. “Oh, so merciful.” Sungmin grinned.

| I envy this cup that gets to kiss your lips awake every-single-day.|

Sungmin laughed heartily then. “You kissed my lips awake today.” He said before taking a long gulp.

“But I want to do it 'every-single-day’.” Youngwoon defended his point in a matter-of-fact tone, signing with his finger for Sungmin to rotate the cup. When the writer did, he saw there was another message written at the bottom, more like a question.

| Can I move in? |

Sungmin stared surprised at Youngwoon.

“It feels so weird when I am home alone. It feels like it’s not exactly where I should be.” Youngwoon said blushing ever so softly. He then cleared his throat and added. “Plus this location is more useful to me. I can wake up and go to sleep a little later.”

Sungmin grinned. “Of course.” He replied sarcastically at first before saying again more softly. “Of course.”

Youngwoon moved in on the day they were celebrating their eight months together.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


Sungmin closed the door of the glass shelf where he kept his collection of cups, sometimes he couldn’t really believe that in a little over four years Youngwoon had managed to keep his habit of writing his messages to Sungmin on cups. Sungmin practically had a cup for each anniversary and a few more cups for completely random days. Of course, he had his favorite ones, needless to say, the very first message cup was one of them, but he also particularly liked the one Youngwoon had used to cheer him up a few years back when his books were not selling so well, as he also loved the cup Youngwoon had used to propose.

He got the first cup one morning during summer.

Sungmin had not slept very well and was up way too early. Youngwoon had mumbled him a good morning and then placed a cup in front of Sungmin, an empty cup. Sungmin frowned at it, raising it to read what his boyfriend had written there.

|Do you know what the Cup said to the Cappuccino?|

Sungmin stared quite dumbly at Youngwoon’s grin. “What did it say?” he asked curiously, but other than reply Youngwoon handed his permanent marker to Sungmin and pointed at the cup. Not really understanding what Youngwoon was up to he wrote on the cup his reply and handed the items back to his boyfriend.

Youngwoon cheerfully wrote more words down on it before handing the cup and the marker back to Sungmin.

| It said, “I love how sweet you are.” |

Sungmin laughed already feeling his sleepy mind waking up, the little slump he had been in kind of gave a break, with a sudden inspiration Sungmin wrote down on the cup.

| Do you know what the Cappuccino said to the Cup? |

After reading the question Youngwoon picked the marker and replied. | What did it say? |

Sungmin bit his lower lip as he wrote his reply. | It said, “I love you for always being there whether I’m hot or cold." |

Youngwoon smiled softly at reading the reply, so he got back the marker and wrote a bit more. |At hearing the confession the Cup said: “I’ll always be there because I’m a Cup only meat for Cappuccino.” |


Sungmin smiled fondly at the memory, acknowledging it had been that cup that had given Youngwoon the idea for his proposal.

The writer stared from one cup to the other.

it was their 1000th days together. Youngwoon had spent the day working at the factory and when he was back home Sungmin had still not gone out to the store for his usual cappuccino of the afternoon. Seeing that Youngwoon had taken advantage of the situation and persuaded Sungmin not to go, instead, the waiter had served them some sweets with home-made cappuccino.

The writer was already chuckling when he saw there was once again something written on his cup. Before anything else, he read what was written there.

| Kim Youngwoon, do you accept Lee Sungmin as your Cappuccino? |
| “I do.” |
| Lee Sungmin, do you accept Kim Youngwoon as your Cup? |

The chuckle had died away after he read that, Sungmin stared up at Youngwoon for confirmation and the later simply handed him a permanent marker for him to write his reply.

Sungmin had placed the marker aside as they first ate the sweets and drank their cappuccinos, Youngwoon had tell-tale about his day and about how the employees at the kitchen were already treating him as the boss and not as a replacement for his retired grandmother, they had a peaceful and beautiful evening as they watched the sunset. When Youngwoon the lights of the balcony Sungmin took the chance to write down his reply.

| “I do.” |

When Youngwoon saw it he pulled from his pocket a ring box and they exchanged vows. 


Sungmin sighed as he looked at the ring adorning his ring finger on the left hand. Youngwoon had been his cup of cappuccino for four years and the writer concluded he didn’t know anymore how to live without the other. He looked around the spotless clean house and groaned as he once again felt lonely. With another sigh, he picked up his coat and his wallet and headed to his favorite chocolate store.

In there he had been greeted happily, had been treated as the very special customer he was, since Youngwoon was no longer just a waiter, but the official boss. The writer sat at his still usual table and ordered his still usual cappuccino.

He was staring at his phone, battling with himself if he should call Youngwoon or not, yet before he could reach a decision his drink had been served – no longer in the perfect position – and he froze at the words written there.

| I still envy this cup because it still keeps you company when I am away. |

There was an arrow at the bottom and curious Sungmin rotated the cup only to find there were more words written on the other side.

| My parents want to have dinner with us. Grandma is coming along. I’m going to cook, so don’t eat too much at the store. PS. Surprise, I’m back one day early. Your beloved Cup of Cappuccino, YW. |

Hurriedly Sungmin finished his drink and rushed out of the store with the cup in hand, not bothering to pay. He heard later a customer had enquired why nobody had tried to stop him because she didn’t know he was the ‘Younger Boss’.

When Sungmin stepped back at the apartment Youngwoon was in the kitchen slicing vegetables.

“Your parents?! Like seriously?” Sungmin said as he strode Youngwoon’s way, also as some sort of warning because the older let go of the knife and turned around to catch Sungmin’s in his arms. There was no reply to that question, though, for a few minutes as the couple kept hugging, kissing and whispering how they missed each other.

They had never spent more than a day apart so the previous week had been pretty much a torture. Youngwoon had gone to France with his parents for a chocolate convention and Sungmin had not been allowed to travel along because Youngwoon’s father was still refusing to accept Youngwoon’s choice of life.

“Yesterday we were having breakfast at our hotel with an associate, my father was trying to deal a business marriage with them for my younger sister, but they misunderstood something because they had gone there with their oldest daughter, she kept smiling at me and it was slightly creepy,” Youngwoon said with a chuckle not releasing his lover. “Then someone poked my shoulder and when I looked behind, your parents were there asking why you were not with me. I think my father actually got jealous when your father asked if I really didn’t want to go work with him at his restaurant franchise.”

Sungmin stared wide-eyed. “My parents actually decided to go to France this year? They had been talking non-stop about Greece.” He said before stealing another kiss from Youngwoon’s lips. “I’m glad they are going to give us a chance. And thanks for the new addition to my collection.”

“You’re welcome.” Youngwoon chuckled releasing his lover so he could clean up the cup he had stolen from the store.

..•.:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.❇.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.•..


On another shelf at the apartment, Sungmin had neatly organized his printed novels by best-seller order. The first book was titled: Let me be your cup of cappuccino.