The Cafeteria Junkie

The Cafeteria Junkie

*Suho's POV

 

It was just like any other day; Practices, shootings, some radio shows and I was just about to brush it off as such except it was the day fate decided that I needed to meet the one who'll complete my existence.

 

It was our lunch break and we were walking down the hallway, making our way to where we'll grab lunch, making the usual ruckus that we do with our rowdy laughs and loud voices. I was laughing at something Chanyeol and Baekhyun imitated when I bumped into someone carrying tons of papers which fell and flew in all directions.

 

I instinctively sit and help with gathering the papers.

 

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." she keeps on repeating, getting the papers as fast as she could. She seems to be in a hurry.

 

"It's okay, It happens to the best of us." I say, raising my eyes to look at her and I find myself smiling.

 

Her hair covered most of her face but not in the creepy way instead it made me interested in her, I found her mysterious. I reach out and her hair, placing it behind her ear to get a better view of her face. She stops scuttling to get the papers and glance up at me.

 

I feel my heart stop, her eyes called me. Why? I didn't know neither did I know that moments like these happen in real life, I thought it only existed in books but it happened to me and it ended way too fast because she hugged the papers to her chest, stood up and rushed to get away. I sat there shock rendering me incapable of movement. She left without even saying a word, yet another book and movie cliché that I never thought I'd get to experience.

 

"Hyung, she forgot something." Sehun says, bending to pick up one page she forgot to get and gives it to me.

 

I stand up, brush off my clothes, receive the paper and look at it. Page 21, it indicated at the lower right corner of the word filled paper. I scan it, it seems to be a story about a pure and twisted love between two who can never be. Judging from the page it looks to be a cliché but somehow I feel like it wouldn't end like how I'd predict it would. I fold the paper and put it in my pocket, I'd read it later.

 

The day went on and even though I tried and pushed her out of my mind, she still lingered always making me wonder who she is, where she is right now and what she's doing. It was a little past 11 when we arrived at the dorm and the others all retired to their rooms. I sat on the couch and read the piece of paper which stayed folded in my pocket the whole day.

 

"The night was peaceful; the moon shed light on the garden in which we were to meet. I sit on the fountain's side and look up asking the heaven's why we needed to meet in such a way, why God let us know each other's existence only to keep us apart but not even one question was answered instead the silence gnawed at my being, eating my conscience inside and out, yelling that what we're doing -seeing each other behind others' eyes- will damn our souls in the abyss and I knew; I knew that what we're doing is against the rules society has established and my guilt is driving me to think of things I shouldn't even be thinking. My hyperactive mind comes back to reality when a rustle from a nearby bush shocks me, what if we've been found out? But then my worries dissipate when I see the figure standing just a few inches away from me, a smile gracing his handsome features. It is he, my other half..."

 

After reading I had the sudden urge to read and finish everything. Who wrote this? Did she? I fold in into two and place in my favorite book; I slept with the intention of going to the writing department tomorrow and knowing the mystery girl more.

 

I woke up earlier than usual and after eating, doing the things I needed to do I went to the writing department and asked for the person who wrote what I read yesterday night. The editor put on her glasses and thought about it for a moment.

 

"Hmm. I'm pretty sure this is Hyun In's work. Unfortunately she isn't here yet and I don't know when she'll be coming back." she answers, placing the piece of paper above the stack of papers on her desk. I thank her and leave. So her name is Hyun In.

 

That day we were walking through the staff cafeteria when someone caught my eye. I didn't see her whole face since it was covered by a classic -Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare- but I would never forget those cat-like eyes. It was her, I'm sure of it. She's Hyun In. She looked like she was in her own world; smiling at the book, getting fries from her plate every now and then, concentrating on the words so much that she'd furrow her eyebrows and adjusting her blue rimmed glasses when it slid off. Then again I find myself smile at the sight, how can someone so clumsy write the words that pulled me to read more? How can someone who did nothing but sit alone in a corner and read catch my interest? I shake my head, maybe I'll never really know.

 

"Hyung! Why don't you just approach her already? I'm sick of eating cafeteria food. I want bubble tea." Sehun complains for the nth time.

 

It's been a week since I started to eat in the staff's cafeteria. Obviously I didn't go for the food; three consecutive days of her sitting in the same spot, at exactly the same time was all I needed to come here, order some food and take a glance at her every five minutes or so. I'd always take someone with me and today is Sehun's turn.

 

"Stop whining and just eat besides I could never really go up and approach her." I say, picking on the asparagus that sat alone on my pale colored plate.

 

"Hyung, is that you? Why can't you just sit with her and start up a conversation? You both like books anyway." he says, scratching his head and leaving. No doubt to get his bubble tea.

 

He's right, nothing will happen with me just sitting here and looking at her. I at least have to try so mustering all the courage I have, I stand up and make my way to her table.

 

I clear my throat. She looks up, puts her book down and asks.

 

"Yes?" she smiles and I can't help but smile back.

 

"Uhmmm. I-I j-just wa-wanted...." I stutter when I'm nervous and I'm making a fool out of myself. She laughs. Great, now she thinks I'm a dork.

 

"Sit down will you? And don't be nervous. I don't bite." she says, popping a fry in . I sit down and take a deep breath.

 

"I'm..." I start.

 

"Kim Junmyeon." she finishes and I raise an eyebrow.

 

"What?  I've been working here for two years so of course I know the artists." she explains, shrugging it off. A few moments of silence.

 

"You won't even introduce yourself?" I ask, unable to hide my curiosity. She shakes her head.

 

"What for? I'm not someone to be noted. See you later, I have to go." she says, standing up and leaving.

 

"Hyun In." I call out after her, she turns around surprised and I wave at her. A wide geeky smile on my face. She waves back and smiles.

 

It's been a month since we started talking and she's already caught me, especially my heart. I was lying on the carpet, talking to her on the phone and staring at the Polaroid picture I held. She took it when we decided to bring comfort food in the cafeteria. I brought Noodles and she brought Ice cream, she just bought her bear instax camera and she wanted to use it bad. I just stare at it, our faces were squished together, I had chocolate ice cream on my nose, a big smile on my face and she still had noodles in , making her look like a chubby bunny, her eyes barely visible because of the closed lip smile she had.

 

"Yah! Are you still listening Junmyeon-shi?" she yells, I flinch.

 

"Mianhe. What was that again?" I ask, putting the Polaroid in my drawer for safe keeping.

 

"I said, what do you think about me cutting my hair short and dyeing it to a dark red color?" she asks.

 

"Nah. No need to do that, you look fine already." I answer.

 

After 30 minutes, we say good night and end the call. I sigh in contentment and just stare at the ceiling, a smile that couldn't be erased since the day I talked to her pasted on my face.

 

"Does she know?" I sit up and look at Baekhyun who was sitting on the couch, looking at me with questioning eyes.

 

"Know what?" I ask, feigning innocence.

 

"Fine. You're choice, if she's stolen you'll regret It." he says, a smile forming on his face.

 

"Yah! What about you huh? You and Chan Mi? Does she know?" I ask. Chan Mi is our manager. Baekhyun like her, a lot and it seems like she's growing to like Baekhyun too.

 

A serene smile appears on his face; he looks at me and says "She knows. We both do but as of now that's it. We just know but at least we have that, at least we know that we're for each other." he says, standing up and patting me on the back.

 

That night sleep didn't come for me; instead I wrote how I felt for her on paper and tucked it in the book that I'm going to lend her tomorrow.

 

Morning came and I was already sweaty, jumpy and nervous. I didn't tell anyone my plan but I guess they knew because Chan Mi told me something that gave me the strength to go and confess.

 

"Don’t worry too much, just be you. That's the whole point isn't it?" she tells me, before going back to scheduling our week.

 

I was having second thoughts on the hallway, waiting for a sign when Kai and Hye Kyung saw me.

 

"Suho-shi!" Hye Kyung yells, engulfing me in a hug.

 

Hye Kyung is a trainee and she's sunny. Chan Mi and she are friends, along with another one that we still didn't get to meet. She and Kai has been spending a lot of time the last few weeks, if I count it they've been seeing each other for a whole two weeks.

 

"Yah! Why do you look so nervous? What happened?" she asks, looking at the hallway.

 

"Hyung has someone he likes and I think he's going to confess." Kai answers for me and I note how he looked at Hye Kyung, a look full of admiration and happiness. Maybe he likes Hye Kyung too; he just doesn't know it yet.

 

"Really?!" she says, almost jumping with excitement. "Who is she? Do I know her? I need to see her. Will you take me?" she asks, eyes glittering with excitement.

 

"S-sure." I say and she jumps.

 

"Thank You! Where do we go?" she asks a big smile on her face.

 

"To the staff cafeteria." I answer and she walks before us. This girl really, she’s like a big ball of energy.

 

"I'm sorry Hyung; she's just so curious and happy sometimes that she forgets a situation." Kai says, touching his neck obviously uncomfortable.

 

"That's fine. She's like a kid, bringing happiness wherever she goes." I say, watching her sing and skip in front of us.

 

"Yeah. She's like a kid." he answers. I turn to look at him and there it is again. I catch him looking at her with intense emotions in his eyes and it was the first time I saw him look at someone like that -twice today- like he could give everything up for her happiness and maybe he would. I just wish that her happiness would be his happiness too.

 

We arrive at the cafeteria and were surprised when Hye Kyung yelled.

 

"Hyun In-ah!" then she runs to hug her.

 

I look at Hyun In and she had a big smile on her face, she hugged Hye Kyung back and they both jump.

 

"They know each other?" I ask Kai. He just shrugs.

 

After the two's reunion we were all seated in the cafeteria and they still couldn't believe what had happened and how long they've lost contact.

 

"Yah! You didn't tell me you know her." Kai tells Hye Kyung.

 

"How should I know that you know her? Besides should I tell you about everyone I know?" Hye Kyung answers him back, sticking out her tongue.

 

Hye Kyung suddenly stands up and says goodbye.

 

"Hyun In-ah. Sorry but we need to go, I still have a lot to practice and he still owes me food. I have your number and you have mine, so keep in touch okay? Later!" She says, waving her phone and dragging Kai out the cafeteria.

 

"I can't believe it. We're all here. Chan Mi, Hye Kyung and I. We're all here." Hyun In says a smile still on her face.

 

"You guys have known each other for a while?" I ask, distracting myself.

 

"A while?! We've known each other since college. We're like how you are with Exo. We're like sisters." she answers, we continue to talk about her college days until there was only five minutes left for break. I hand her 'Romeo and Juliet', the book she asked to borrow and she scans the pages; My heart suddenly beats faster and my eyes grow wide, the letter I wrote had slid off the pages and she picks it up.

 

"What's this?" she asks me, opening it.

 

"Read it." is all I say and she does, literally.

 

"To my personal source of smiles,

 

Annyeong. I know it's only been a month since we've known each other, this may sound or look so cliché but this has been the best month of my life. I'm aware of the risk that you might avoid or ignore me after reading this but I might as well take the risk rather than wonder my whole life if I didn't and regret it. Do you remember when you told me that I seemed to like the cafeteria very much and I told you that I was there for the food and you started to call me the cafeteria junkie? Well, I lied. It wasn't because of the food. It's because of you; it’s because I couldn't get enough of your sunny smile, your laugh, your book references, your witty comebacks. I couldn't even get enough of the way you look down before looking at me. This may sound cheesy but all I want is a chance, a chance to be the one who'll make you happy, a chance to prove that you're worth loving and a chance to make you feel the love you've always deserved. I can't promise you a life without difficulties or a life without obstacles, I can't promise you that we'll never fight, I can't even promise that I'll never make you cry but what I can promise is that whatever happens I'll always be here even if you're pushing me away, I won't let go. I promise that I'll do my best that when you do cry, it'll be because of happiness and I promise to love you with all that I am, without doubts. Just give me a chance and I promise, you won't regret it.

 

                                                   From, Your own Cafeteria Junkie."

 

Shortly after reading it she hides her face, placing her head on the table, I just sit there confused. How does she feel? Minutes later I hear her sobbing and panic sets in. I stand and sit beside her.

 

"Hyun In? Are you okay? I'm sorry, if you don't see me that way I understand. Let's just go back to the way we were before. Okay?" I say, shaking her. She raises her head and faces me.

 

"Pabo. You're my cafeteria junkie aren't you? What are you saying now? How can I not give you a chance?" she answers me and I hug her, a smile only she's capable of giving me spreading on my face.

 

3 years later she still continues to be the source of my smile. Hye Kyung and Kai have already been married for more than a year, same with Chan Mi and Baekhyun.

 

"Appa, Omma. Can we go to the cafeteria?" our almost two year old son asks, tugging on my pants and holding on to his mother's hand. I look at Hyun In and smile.

 

"Why?" I ask.

 

"I want orange juice and Omma told me that you guys planted a flower there so I want to see It." he answers.

 

"Aigoo. My baby is addicted to orange juice. You won't see the flower though." Hyun In answers, carrying him and playing with his hair.

 

"Huh? Why won't I see it?" he asks, pouting.

 

"Because the flower is still blooming in Appa and Omma's heart." she says, poking our son in the nose.

 

"So do you have any regrets?" I ask Hyun In, while we watched Oh Hyun get his orange juice with Kai. Hyun In looks at me and smiles.

 

"Yeap. It's allowing Kai and Hye Kyung into our home almost every day. Now Oh Hyun can’t go a day without seeing them. I'm jealous. -she pouts- seriously though, I don't think I do have any regrets." she answers, smiling.

 

"You?" she asks and smiles.

 

"I do actually; it's not knowing you earlier." I answer.

 

"Everything has its own time, don't you think so?" she says and I agree.

 

As long as I have her and Oh Hyun then I'm complete. I'm lucky that she bumped into me, I'm glad that I got to know her but most of all I'm the happiest man in the world because she gave me a chance, a chance to know what love truly is and years from now I can see her, still wrapped in my arms, smiling and happy. That's all I really need. I'm her cafeteria junkie and I always will be. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hehehehe. So this is Hyun In's and Suho's part. :"> This one is dedicated to everyone most especially this friend of mine, DCaadan! I love you! :* I hope all you guys like this! 

xoxoxo Kyon Seul