Too Far

A Story

Hyunyoung quickly shot out of her seat to look for the nearest book around her. Good thing though, she turned to her left or she'd be grabbing that thick Accounting Principles book on her right which most probably would describe her love life as a whole balancing equation, nothing's so thrilling about that.

 

The first book she saw was something she started reading months ago but unfortunately for a lazy head like her, she still hadn't gone through the other half of it. Its title's 'Too Far' and it's a fiction by Rich Shapero. Hyunyoung got it from a buy one take one in a bookstore inside the mall she frequented. She didn't like reading but what made her buy it was its cover, it was so mysterious and attractive for her, let alone the title. The book was about the story of 'an end of innocence that captures the triumphs and follies of the child's imagination as it struggles to remain boundless and free', according to the description scripted on its back. As long as Hyunyoung could remember, she was reading about an adventure of two kids but as she flipped through the pages, such ventures in the unknown outskirts of Fairbanks became boring and vague for her because she could hardly tell if it was the children's imagination or the reality happening in each scene. So she stopped reading it for a while. It was only by then that she had a grip of that book.

 

Hyunyoung slowly flipped to page forty-five and read the first line of the paragraph.

 

"...'It's perfect because you're here'"

 

For no apparent reasons, her cheeks turned red and her stomach started to mush. She was awed by that very sentence because it was one of those rarest times she'd visit her Facebook to find something good to read, and surely it was of a good timing she had found that post about stories of people's lives, love life. Should she believe it or not? Whichever she should, her roommate destroyed the ambience and serenity of her mood, first by suddenly barging in and second, by actually telling Hyunyoung how she looked ridiculous while blushing.

 

"Do this, Jisook"

 

She pulled her down so she could read the instructions Hyunyoung had already did a while ago. Jisook looked around and found the same book Hyunyoung grabbed. She clumsily looked for that certain page and tossed it to Hyunyoung's bed after.

 

"Nonsense"

"What?" Hyunyoung's eyes were wide in disbelief. Jisook wasn't able to appreciate the line she had read.

"Doesn't make sense"

 

"But it's nice!" Hyunyoung insisted while grabbing the book for her to recite to Jisook the good line she fell for.

 

"It's perfect because you're here! How does that not make sense?"

Jisook waved her hand at Hyunyoung and snorted, "That's not the first line."

 

"Eh?"

 

Hyunyoung took another glance at the whole page.

 

Robbie regarded her. "It's perfect because you're here."

 

 

She counted using her fingers. The first sentence really wasn't the part she read before. And Jisook was right about the true first sentence not making sense with the life they actually were living in to. Hyunyoung sulked in her seat. She knew she did not see that first part the first time she read it, or was it just her imagination fooling her around?