The World

Another Dream

 “How come you can act so causal? We’re all going to die anyway soon”
“Why should I live my life in fear when I can still enjoy it. The tide doesn’t wait for the crab to get out of the way or get dragged down into the ocean. If I am still living and breathing I am going to make the best out of it!” The anger in her eyes scared her friend as she took a step backwards.
“I’m just worried about you Joohee” she mumbled but the door was slammed in her face.

Song Joohee didn’t let anyone stop her, she had a strong mind and she wanted to enjoy life before she gets taken away. She knew very well of the threat hovering above them but she didn’t see why everyone would be afraid. She had been born into this chaotic world; she grew up with hearing stories of how it was before. She didn’t really care. She always gave her parents a heart attack when she wandered outside playing in the snow. When they forced her inside she cried and screamed loudly. They never took children; they didn’t win anything by taking children. She had many times heard her parents cry and apologize for bringing a child into this environment. But she liked it, the quietness of the city how she could find herself all alone.
Her parents were taken a week after she turned eighteen. It was like they had marked them, the day their child turns eighteen they will take them. It’s not the case really, just coincidence. That was the only time she was afraid, looking into the goat like eyes of the creature that hummed softly towards them. Almost loving only causing more fear, they were ripped apart Joohee placed on ground crying and shaking. Alone. That was the first time she ever felt alone, she felt hopeless and powerless. She couldn’t do anything for her family.
She was upset for such a long time before she realized that this was not the way of life she had lived before. She didn’t live with regret or fear. And so she continued.

“I never thought I would find someone else out at this time” a dark voice reached her ears and broke through her thoughts. She looked up leaning back against the back of the bench. A tall guy was standing diagonally across from her, a small smile spread on his lips and huge eyes glowing brightly. Almost puppy like.
“I could say the same but I guess we’re both wrong” she smiled and looked as the stranger walked towards her and sat down on the bench keeping his distance.
“People are afraid of another harvest soon. They haven’t shown themselves for quite some time” he said looking at her from the corner of his eye.
“They are always afraid of them coming. If everyone knew at what times they came they still would be afraid” she said turning her head too look at the stranger.
“So why aren’t you?” he asked and turned his head meeting her gaze.
“I promised myself to make as much out of life as I can before they take me”
“Ah, that’s sounds pretty nice” he mumbled turning his head away and rests back his head hanging back looking at the darkening sky.
“Why aren’t you afraid?” She asks still observing him carefully
“I am terrified” he answered and laughed lightly.
“But I can’t let that stop me from enjoying the evening air and look what it brought me. Some company during this wonderful sunset” he closed his eyes and breathed in deep before sighing with a bright smile on his lips.
“Well you can’t enjoy the sunset from here” she said and stood up looking at the stranger. She walked towards him and stretched out her hand. He tilted up his head and looked at her before grabbing it in a firm grip.
“Song Joohee” she said before pulling at his hand pulling him off the bench.
“Park Chanyeol” he said and as he stood she took notice of his height. He was probably a head taller than her. She laughed slightly before pulling him away; they rounded the bench and walked up a hill located behind it. It was a heavy walk as it got steeper and steeper.
“I never thought it would be this hard to walk up this hill” he complained and she just laughed and pulled harder at his hand.
“It will be worth it in the end. I promise” 

She could see the top and another rundown bench standing at the very top of the hill. She stopped besides it but didn’t sit down as she loosened her grip and let his hand go as she stared at the burning red sun lowering down below the horizon. The pair of them was panting and she just laughed.
“I thought I was more trained than this” he just laughed at her before he sat down in the cold grass.
“You will get stains on your jeans” she mumbled before being pulled down too.
“Hey! I don’t want to ruin these, do you know how hard they were to get?” she shrieked but was just pushed lightly by the taller male.
“Wasn’t it you who just a couple of minutes ago wanted to make most out of life while you had the chance? Why are you complaining about clothes?” he tilted his head as he looked at her with big eyes. She snorted at him and just shook her head.
“Okay you got me” she huffed.
She gave him one final glance before turning her eyes to the setting sun. It was so beautiful, she had seen many sunsets from up here but never had she shared it with someone else. Even if he was a complete stranger and she only knew his name but it calmed her in strange ways.
“Oh , they are descending” Chanyeol mumbled and furrowed his brows as he looked at the odd formation in the sky as it was getting lower and lower.
“Dammit” She said a little bit too loud as she jumped to her feet.
“I live way too far away from here!” she said and for the first time in years she felt her heart race and panic starting to flow through her. It was no one who didn’t know they always took the ones outside first, if anyone ever was. That was why so many where afraid of going outside, because they could never know when they were coming.  
“Breath” She turned and looked at him and he smiled brightly, he grabbed her hand and they ran. Down the hill, by the bench where they met, they ran and ran before reaching an apartment building. He pulled her inside and up six floors before reaching a door and swiftly knocking on it and it creaked open.
“Oh thank god Chanyeol, you had us on edge, in quick” a short male with doe like eyes opened the door, he was eyeing her carefully but didn’t say anything as they she was pulled in.
“I think you need to rephrase a little Joohee” Chanyeol said panting and she just glared at him.
“Okay, I do get afraid” she said and he smiled brightly.
“It’s human”

The door was locked and secured and the short guy named Kyungsoo walked up to another male sitting against the wall with eyes closed as he listened. He had thick well-formed lips, slightly tanned skin and his hair tousled and black. His name was Jongin, that’s what Chanyeol told her. He was curled up in the corner against the wall and as the clock ticked Kyungsoo joined him and they whispered with each other small laughter could be heard at times.

“Thank you” Joohee couldn’t stand the stiff silence between them anymore, Chanyeol had grabbed some mattresses from a closet and placed them on the floor against a wall, he then went back there and grabbed pillows and blankets and what not. He also had a small portable stove and he was now staring at the fire under the boiling water warming up some noodles.
“Well, you would have done the same right?” he said and smiled at her.
“You don’t know me” she sent him a cold stare and he quickly looked away, she chuckled and stared at the fire.
“I don’t know what I would have done” she said and rested her head against the wall.
“But it’s true, I don’t know you. And you don’t know me. Was it very smart to come here?” he asked and turned around closing the distance between them. She stiffened, she could feel his breath his her face.
“You forced me” she grumbled and pushed him away as he laughed at her.
“Also you didn’t seem like such a guy” she stated, he just shook his head as his attention went back to the noodle soup. If you even can call it a noodle soup.
“So how old are you?” she wondered following Chanyeols every movement with curious eyes.
“21” he answered shortly and a quickly glanced over at her as to tell her to answer the same question.
“23”

Slowly their conversation grew into the most ridiculous things and she came to really enjoyed Chanyeol company, as they shared the noodles the screams started. They tried to keep talking but fell silent as the screams pierced through the outdoors. She never liked the sound of it, people always tried to escape, screaming loudly and it freaked her out more then she admitted. She was more afraid then she admitted, but still she was oddly calm. Soon enough she could feel her eyes getting heavy and as time passed she fell asleep her back sliding against the wall and her head landing comfortably on Chanyeols shoulder. He chuckled quietly as he also soon slipped away into dream land.

Joohee slowly awoke as loud snoring entered her ears and a strange heaviness was on top of her head. She slowly opened her eyes and brown unfamiliar hair hanged mixed with her blonde. She quickly noticed her head against the shoulder of Chanyeol and she realized that he had his head rested on top of hers. In a rush she pushed him away and he fell limp onto his side in the mattress not awakening from the impact. She stared at him in confusion and she heard a small laughter from across the room.
“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him sleep so soundly” her eyes caught the small smile from Jongin as he raised his arms in the air and yawned.
“What spell did you cast on him?” he laughed and stood up. Before she got her mind together to answer he had already disappeared into another room.  She puffed out her cheeks as her eyes traveled to the sleeping boy besides her, she had only known him for a day but it felt like they had spent weeks together.

 

“Hey, come with me. Let’s explore the world!” She had been spending most of her time with the tall brown haired guy she met that one late afternoon. They had grown close and soon enough she made her friend Nara visit where he lived, she quickly befriended them all and so they all decided to live together. It always felt safer the more people there were when a harvest came. But they were lucky, and they had stayed lucky for a long time.
“Do you have a bucket list or something?” he asked smiling brightly and she just shook her head.
“I want to get away from the city” she declared and was meet with surprised eyes. He shifted his weight to his other foot as he thought.
“Well, why the hell not?” he exclaimed and smiled brightly.

The next day they set off, She took note of the worry in Naras eyes as she said farewell she could only calm her by promising she would be back. Some day she would be back. She also saw the sadness and worry in Kyungsoo and Jongins faces as they hugged their friend goodbye.
“You two better watch it out there” Kyungsoo said in a stern voice before the two of them left the apartment.
The streets where empty and the echo from their footsteps was the only sound.
“It’s like a zombie apocalypse” Chanyeol looked in front of him as he kicked a rock with his foot.
“It’s the alien apocalypse” Joohee sent a concerned look his way and he laughed loudly.
“True, I forgot”
“How do you forget a strange race hovering above our heads?” she inquired with a small smile
“Good question, when you are too caught up in life it just slips your mind” he chuckles and she rolls her eyes.
“That sounds pretty good”

 

“Ahh, I didn’t think walking would be this bad” he exclaimed and sat down on a rock at the side of the road.
“Well we only have our two feet so shut up” she answered and took of the backpack hanging heavy over her back.
“let me rest for a couple of minutes” he complained as he also pulled of his back pack.
“Let’s rest at that gas station” she said and pointed and not too far away a rundown gas station stood and he agreed.
“We can spend the night there” he informed as he looked over at the setting sun as they had almost reached halfway.
“It was further then I thought” She huffed as she silently agreed with the idea.

“I thought we would never reach it!” Chanyeol collapsed beside a gas pump and leaned against it stretching out his legs and almost taking of his shoes to let his aching feet breath but not before Joohee stood in front of him giving him a warning look.
“I’m going to go look inside” she said and dumped her bag next to him before she walked towards the two sliding doors. She looked through the dirty glass and tried to pull at the doors but they didn’t open. She started walking around the building until she found the back entrance. She pulled down on the handle and the door creaked open and she peaked inside, it was dark and a short corridor that made a sharp turn into the main area. There was two doors on her way through the corridor, the first she opened was what probably was the manager’s office and the other was a broom closet. She walked out into the main area and stared at the cash registers in front of her. To her left was another door that led to the bathroom. She walked out beside the checkout area and towards the doors, she found a pair of keys inside locked inside them and she carefully turned them and heard a small click. Once again she pulled the doors and they slid open.
“Chanyeol!” she called and the brown haired male turned his head and smiled widely. He stood up and took the backpacks and walked inside and she closed the doors behind him.
“Well, let’s set up camp!” he placed the backpacks near the fridges and laughed silently as she joined him to spread out their sleeping bags.

 

“Joohee!”

“J o o H e e”

“JOOHEE WAKE UP!” something jabbed her in the ribs and she shot up and stared angrily at Chanyeol who just gave her a quick smile.
“Come here look what I found!” he said and pulled her up and dragged her to another door she failed to notice which led into a garage. In there stood two pretty well in shape bicycles.
“Oh gosh!? They were just standing in here?” She asked surprised as she circled around them.
“Yeah! I found some oil in here to and oiled the chains and both of them work perfectly” he said with a small smile on his face before it faded.
“Almost perfectly” he added and walked back into the store and came back with their backpacks.
“Ready for a faster adventure?” he asked as he gave her the backpack and she smiled brightly.
“Always” she said and walked up to lift up the garage door and went back and jumped onto the bike before they returned to the road.


A/N: Hi everyone! Thank you so much for reading!

So it's unbetad and sorry for any mistakes! There is going to be a second part to this so woo!!
Yeah that's that for now! Thanks again!