What's your number?

What's your number?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  It was Saturday and I had just entered the room when I saw my friend Bom holding a flashlight and tiptoeing. “What the—” I was about to say something when, “Shhh! Be quite.” Bom quipped. “Why? What is it? Bom, are you fooling around again?” I asked. “Its ten o’clock and lights are already out. What are you trying to do?” Only our lampshades were on.
  “Just wait and see.” Bom said sitting on the chair next to her desk.
Bom and I have just transferred into a coed dorm 2 weeks ago from our hometown. Both of us didn’t know what to expect, only that this was something new. 
Though the dorm was for both boys and girls we had separate buildings. I was thankful. I didn’t want my mother finding out that I would be living in the same building with any male species.
“Hey, why are our windows open?” I noticed as I sat on Bom’s bed. 
“Oh, nothing. I’m just betting that some guys would be there at the other building looking in this direction.” Bom combed her hair smiling.
“What?!” My mouth gapped. “How do you know they would? And what’s the reason why you want us to have them looking at our direction?”
Bom looked at me sweetly. “I just have a feeling they will.” Then she continued combing her hair. “And I want to have a date.” 
My eyes went wide. “Are you crazy? You want to date one of the guys here?” I choked. 
“Yes. Why not? They’re human enough for me, and male.” Bom snickered. “Besides, look who’s talking. You’re the one who has been dating for a week now.” 
“I’ve just gone out for five days. It’s not yet a week.” I said defensively. 
“But that’s five consecutive days! You could have at least skipped a day or two.” Bom pointed out. “You’re too busy with your dates, you don’t have time for me anymore.” She pouted. 
I hugged her. “Oh Bom. I’m sorry. It’s not like I wanted to leave you alone. I—”
“Shhh!” Bom interrupted. “They’re here!” she whispered excitedly. “I mean, they’re there at the balcony. Can you see?” 
“What? I can only see shadows.” I said squinting her eyes.
“That’s what this thing is for.” Bom motioned for the flashlight she was holding.
“Good thinking. Hehe!” I replied.
“Yeah… Hey! I thought you don’t want to date guys from the dorm!” Bom retorted.
“I didn’t say I don’t want to date them. I—”
“Oh now you want to date more than one of them.” Bom interjected.
“I didn’t say that either.”
“Then what did you mean? Huh?” Bom’s raised her eyebrow.
“Oh Okay! Okay! I want to date a guy from this dorm…” I started saying, then I began blushing. “And maybe if I can, I would date more than one.” I finished. 
Bom laughed as she sat on her bed. “You should see yourself now. You’re all red.”
“Because you’re teasing me!” I tickled Bom.
“I’m just getting the truth out of you.” Bom kept laughing, wiggling, trying to get out of my clutch. I laughed too as I continued tickling Bom.
We were then interrupted when, “Hey! Hey There! Good Evening!” We both froze. A male voice called out. “Hey! Hey aren’t you from Busan?”
My eyes went wide. I looked at the figure, who was calling out. “Who are you talking to?” I asked. I noticed there were many male figures at the other building. I became nervous.
“You. You’re from Busan, right?” 
I thought of denying it, but the guy continued saying. “You live near the church.” 
Bom whispered to me. “He knows.”
“How did you know that? Who told you that?” I yelled back.
“I’m from Busan also.” The figure answered.
“Who are you?” Bom asked.
“I’m Jaejoong.” The figure said. As he said this, Candy turned the flashlight on and directed it to the figures. All of them ducked.
“Bom stop that.” I said.
Bom looked at me in disbelief. “Don’t tell me, you’re defending them.” She turned the flashlight off.
“No. I’m not.” I argued.
“Excuse me!” Jaejoong called out. We both turned to look at him.
“Can we get your number po?” Another male figure said.
“Who’s number?” I asked.
“Yours.” The guy said. “Can we ask for it po?”
“Why keep telling us po? We’re not that old you know.” I said.
“Sorry po… So… can we? Can we have your number?” The unknown guy said.
I shook my head. But just as I was supposed to say no, Bom called out my number… 
“Bom! No!” I tried covering Bom’s mouth.
But Bom even repeated it and her voice was louder. She even yelled out my name. arggggh!
     
* * * * * * * *
           
“Hi. It’s me Jaejoong.” An unknown number texted me.
“Argh!” I got out of my bed and went to where Bom was sitting. “Look at what you did. Jaejoong is texting me.”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter