umbrella ☂

umbrella ☂

 

it was late at night, and the rain falling from the sky was illuminated by the streetlamps. it was a beautiful sight, but no one wanted to get drenched by the rain as they ran to the bus stop. including me. so, i brought an umbrella.

 

"""☂"""

 

the first day i met him, i brought an umbrella. after a long day of studying by myself in the library, it was finally time to go home. i sighed. at least i got a lot done. i checked my watch: 12:01 AM. 

...i guess i lost track of time. swinging my umbrella in a "i-don't-care" fashion (because i didn't), i slipped through the automatic doors and walked underneath the building's overhang. there was one other person waiting outside. him.

i'd seen him walking around before, and he was in my friend's class, but not any of mine. usually, though, you would hear him before you saw him. he had a really, really nice laugh. it made my heart bubble up and fizz.  i think his name started with a c.

so there we were, me with an umbrella, and him without one. there was only one thing to do. i walked up to him, and tapped his arm with the umbrella.

"wanna share? you hold it, though, because you're taller."

"""☂"""  

the second day (or rather, night) i met him was the day (night) right after that. it was raining again and, of course, i brought an umbrella. 

maybe he'll be there again, today.

i checked my watch. it was 12:01 AM again. who in their right mind would stay at the library until this ungodly hour? he's probably not there. i shouldn't get my hopes up. 

i started the long walk to the doors, but paused. i heard something. it sounded like...snoring.

it'd be funny if that was him. the only sounds that could be heard were the snoring and the gentle, humming vibration of the heating system. i walked towards the cubicles, the source of the snoring. 

it was him. haha. 

he needed to get home. i couldn't just leave him here. there was only one thing to do.

i tapped his arm with the umbrella. his snore broke off, and his imaginary snot bubble popped.

"i have the umbrella~"

"""☂"""  

it wasn't raining the day after that. i still stayed until 12:01 AM. 

so did he. he fell asleep again. 

i walked to the same cubicle, the one right next to the heating, and shook him.

"hey, i don't have the umbrella today." he woke up a bit, voice laced with sleep.

"mmgh, that's okay. i just need you." then, he promptly fell back asleep.

...huh? 

i woke him up again. "come on, you need to get back to your dorm." he pouted, eyes still closed.

"mm...five more minu--...no, ten..." his hand searched for mine, and i sat next to him, one hand holding his, the other setting an alarm. 

10 minutes later, i was dragging him out by his ear. i couldn't see his face, but later on,  he told me that he was smiling the whole time. even though his big ear hurt. he also faked being asleep just so that he could hold my hand for a few minutes. 


"ah, look, chanyeol. it's raining again. a small drizzle." we were inside our car.

"haha! normal couples would be upset. but we..." he grabbed my hand. 

"we were brought together in the rain." he cupped his other hand around his mouth, and shouted to the sky/car roof. "thanks, rain god dude!" then he turned to me. "do you have your umbrella?"

i smiled, and took out the old, beaten-up umbrella that had endured so many nights of rain and wind during our college days. 

"you know i'm always prepared, chanyeol." he laughed.

"great! now then..." he smiled, and kissed my forehead.

"let's get married!" he got out of the car first, taking the umbrella and gingerly opening it. then he ran to the other side of the car where i was.

he opened the car door for me, stooping down in his flawless suit, looking more like a prince than my soon-to-be husband. he took my hand and carefully brought me out, telling me to mind my dress. then, together, just like we had done so many times before, we walked underneath the small umbrella, huddled close together underneath it. 

"you know, our wedding's kind of weird. you're technically already supposed to be standing at the altar, waiting for me."

"well, i just wanted to do this umbrella thing. you didn't want to?"

"no, don't get me wrong, chanyeol..." i looked up at him and laughed, rain drops sliding off of my veil.

"it's perfect." 
 
"""☂"""