One

Not Today, Not In This World

The first thing that Minho sees when he opens his eyes is the view of his family at the other side of the room who are seemingly occupied with something. He tries to call them with a weak voice but gives up later then when his family does not show any signs of hearing him. Slightly frustrated about it, he turns his eyes away and watches anything that he can instead.

Minho knows exactly where he is, a hospital. The memory of feeling not so well for the past few days or weeks is still clear in his mind that he silently wishes that the doctors could come up with something to help him with his disease. But Minho knows for himself that there's not even much time left for him, his disease is at the stage of being incurable anymore and he is so old already.

Then before he can spend his day watching the leaves fall one by one outside, as there is a huge tree near his room's window, he feels a warm hand touch his. The touch is so familiar and Minho just can't stop himself from turning his head at the side to see her, the person he loves so much, the one whom he bestowed with promises of forever and of infinity.

"Hi." She tells him, and then her eyes turn into slits when she smiles at him. And Minho can't stop himself from smiling back and for the first time calls her name, "Soojung." Minho knows that his voice had come out huskier than he intended it to be but Soojung didn't pay much attention to it. Instead, her face becomes even brighter than before.

"How are you feeling Minho?" Soojung asks with a voice softer than he can remember.

"I'm feeling better right now." Minho knows that his condition is far from what he's telling her. But Minho knows for himself that it's the truth. He always feels better when he sees her anyway especially when there's a very beautiful smile adorning her angelic face.

"That's good." She says. Then a silence fills in and it's the kind of silence that just feels right. Minho watches Soojung with interest as she busies herself with playing with his fingers. She looks so adorable and Minho misses having these precious and quite little moments with her.

"Do you want to go outside?' She asks him after a minute.

Minho then tries to find better reasoning about going outside. As much as he'd liked to go out, he knows that his family and his doctors wouldn't allow him to. He's too weak to even sneak out but then the hoping look on Soojung's face tells him to go.

"I think they wouldn't even notice. They seemed so busy with their conversation." Minho says as he looks at his family. Soojung then helps him get up from his bed with care and gentleness. And as they sneakily goes out of the room, Minho has to hold his breath and walk with light baby steps. But Soojung only laughs at him, telling him that he looks so childish and handsome with his puffed cheeks.

Later they find themselves running after each other at the hallway of the hospital. Sounds of laughter fills the boring space and Minho silently apologizes to the old people that they've passed by. They had irate looks on their faces, but some had a wonderful expression etched on their faces. Minho knows what they feel as he’s old like they are and even more with how his grandchildren had been getting on his good and bad side again and again these days. But Minho stops to care because to run after Soojung is what he prioritizes more.

After a bucket of smiles and laughter they finally get outside of the hospital and travels into the hidden garden that the place has. And Minho has never really liked the way the cold breeze hit his face and his body. It makes him shiver in a bad way but as much as he hates it he likes it for the reason that he can pull Soojung in his arms and have her warmth make him feel nice and at ease.

Soojung never makes a motion of getting out from his embrace though Minho knows perfectly that his wife is not one for public displays. He peeks at her with interest and all he sees in Soojung's face is how relaxed she seems to be.

Then they stay like this for the rest of the day in the small garden that the hospital has. Together they watch the leaves fall one by one and watch the flowers become even prettier under the sunlight. They listen to the smooth sounds that the birds sing and listen to the honks of the car outside of the hospital's territory.

Everything about this day is so beautiful that Minho just wants to get stuck at this moment of time. He wants to be here, to be with his Soojung. But as soon as the sun sets down, Soojung shifts from his embrace to face him and link their hands once again. "Let's go back now. It's getting dark."

Then they run again at the halls without care in the world. Laughter echoes throughout the place and it warms Minho's heart so much that he can't help but to feel overly happy and so young. Then as stealthily as they can, they open the door and Minho sees again his family who are busy dwelling on their selves. He wants to ask them what was wrong but Soojung pulls him even before he can produce a word.

"I wonder what they are so engrossed about. They didn't even notice us." Minho says and Soojung hushes him.

Then Minho notices it, the hurt expression on Soojung's face as she tucks him in his bed. But Minho never asks why because he knows what Soojung will tell him.

"Minho." Her voice sounds so serious this time and Minho wants to ease her pain so he holds her hand and kisses it with love and gentleness. "I have to go now."

"I know."

Then he watches her as she bits her bottom lip. Minho knows that she wants to cry but she's so strong that it didn't surprise him when the next time that she looks up to meet his eyes there's a bright expression on her face. "But I promise that I'll be always there at your side. I promise to watch over you."

And Minho knows that perfectly as she had been doing that ever since.

"I love you, Minho." She tells him and before she can make a goodbye Minho tells her, "I love you too, Soojung."

Minho knows by the way she walks that she didn't want to go and leave him but he tells her that he's going to be alright so there's no need to be worried. But there's still pain inside his heart that much is for sure. Because Minho can't stop himself from remembering everything -- the road, the car, her happy face, and the supposed-to-be honeymoon the next day. And he knows that even with this pain, it's not going to stop her so he closes his eyes and listens to the creak sound that the door makes instead.

And when Minho finally opens his eyes, he sees his family at his side watching him with desperate looks in their faces. By then he knows that he doesn't have any much time left. He's old and the chances of surviving are so low. And Minho thinks that the next time he closes his eyes, he'll be with his Soojung like what he has always planned from the moment he met and love her and since forty-five years ago.

 

 

 

-

 

AN: If it isn't clear, Soojung died due to a car accident right after their wedding while Minho survived. And now that's Minho old, he's currently suffering from a disease. Minho knows that he's nearing his time because Soojung visited him. I know it and I'm really sorry. Please do leave comments though <3