Weird Guy

Fool For Love

Couples were surrounding her. On her left by the other bench was a couple who were cuddling in the cold, laughing and joking with each other. At the far right, a guy just proposed to her girlfriend while he was wearing a bear costume. In front of him, a couple was kissing passionately.

 

It was February fourteenth, the day of hearts, but she was all alone in the cold while she watched the heart-fluttering events around her.

 

Love was in the air. She could see love everywhere she looked. But had she ever felt it before?

 

No. The feeling was indeed foreign to her. She didn’t know how to fall in love, how to be in love, and how to stay in love.

 

Was she insecure with all of these people around her though? No. She didn’t have a reason to be. She was contented of how her life was – simple yet lively, with friends and family.

 

However, love indeed arrives in the most unexpected day, in the most unexpected way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The room was silent. Only groans and sighs of boredom could be heard – and the occasional snore from someone who had been asleep since this morning, skipping his classes.  One of them was by the blackboard, drawing stuffs from his hyung who was asleep to animated and weird cartoons. Another one was playing with his game console, not blinking while he played and occasionally screaming out of frustration every time he lost the game. The couple of the group was cuddling on the corner, the guy having the girl on his lap while he played with her long hair.

 

It was their favorite pastime place – an abandoned and dusty classroom.

 

Suddenly, the door to the classroom opened and a panting and tired Bobby came in. He was sweating profusely even though it was still winter. There was an excited expression on his face as his friends looked back at him in wonder.

 

“What?” Jongup asked briefly.

 


“There—I found—“ Bobby tried explaining but he was too tired from running.

 

“Oh come on, sit down and calm your nerves first alright? And then tell us what’s making you excited like this,” Jennie, their only girl commented.

 

Zelo who was standing beside Jennie rubbed her back up and down and said, “Relax, Jagiya. You’re the one who needs to sit and relax, aren’t you?”

 

Jennie gave a hearty laugh as she elbowed the taller guy on his gut.

 

Mino, seeing this rolled his eyes and stared back at Bobby who was already sitting on the floor while catching his breath. “Really, Bobby-ya, is there something wrong? Or something awesome?” he asked, raising his thick eyebrows suggestively.

 

After relaxing though, he didn’t explain right away as he once again ran towards the one guy who was sleeping through all the commotion inside the classroom. “YA! Hanbin! WAKE UP!”

 

After several attempts of waking the sleepyhead, Hanbin got up, his eyes still closed and the comic book which was covering his face fell on the floor. He scratched his head in annoyance at the disruption and groaned. “What?” he asked.

 

“Hanbin, I saw her!” Bobby exclaimed as he laughed maniacally. “She’s that kind who’ll fall for you easily!”

 

With struggle, Hanbin’s eyes fully opened and looked at Bobby with a blank stare. With this Bobby knew so he immediately let go of Hanbin and stepped backward.

 

Bobby then shrugged. “Sorry, got a little too excited.”

 

“Wait, are you telling us, we’ll be having another exciting episode while we’re here in high school?!” Zelo exclaimed as he went towards the two. He was excited too. This had been their pastime while they were in middle school. Now that they were in high school, they were excited to do it again at this new school.

 

These five boys were friends since they were in primary school and if one transfers schools, the others go with him. Jennie Kim was an addition to the group when Zelo got her as his girlfriend when they were doing this ‘pastime’ back in middle school. Zelo eventually fell in love with her even though it meant he lost on their bet.

 

“Oh, good! I’m gonna win this time!” Mino exclaimed, forgetting all about his game console. “I’m betting my allowance for the whole semester that the girl will fall in love with him after a week’s time.”

 

“Oh, Mino! Are you sure about that? We haven’t seen the girl yet though,” Jongup commented.

 

“It doesn’t matter. We know how Hanbin is,” Mino said, quite smug and sure.

 

“You know it doesn’t depend on you guys right? It depends on us girls,” Jennie said. “Let’s see the girl first.”

 

“But, before that, we need to receive Hanbin’s confirmation first,” Bobby said as he turned to Hanbin. Bobby’s small eyes widened as he saw Hanbin had his head bowed as he fell asleep again. “Aish! Hanbin-ah!”

 

Hanbin jolted awake again. “Whatever.”

 

“Yahoo. ‘Whatever’ means yes. Come on, I’ll show her to you,” Bobby said, pulling Hanbin off his seat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was seven in the evening. The school was usually deserted at this time – maybe a few getting ready to go home, maybe some couples dating secretly. However, there was one particular student who stayed behind even if all her friends went home. She chose to stay in the library, drowning herself with books and homework. This was her sanctuary, the only place she could be at peace. The library usually closes at five but the librarian trusted her with a key so that if she finished using it, she would just lock it up before going home.

 

Hayi was already finished with her last homework so she started packing up. It was seven thirty and buses at this time were difficult to catch. This might mean another walk home. She hurriedly slung her yellow SpongeBob bag on her shoulder and stood up from the table. However, she stopped on her tracks when she heard something behind the farthest shelf. She got goose bumps as she stared at the spot where she heard the noise. It was gone for a while until there was that rustling noise again. Slowly, she walked towards it, making sure her footsteps wouldn’t be heard.

 

Her heart was already beating fast but she tried to be brave. She uncapped her pen as she was planning to use it as a weapon on whoever it was behind that shelf.

 

When she was already a mere three feet from the shelf, a foot appeared…. and then another.

 

“YAWN!”

 

“WAAAA!” Hayi screamed on top of her lungs as she was about to stab the person with her pen.

 

“AAAH! Don’t!” the guy screamed covering his face with his arms.

 

Hayi was able to recover as she blinked rapidly, staring at the guy. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

 

The guy still had his face protectively covered with his arms. Hayi realized she still had the pen raised against him so she kept it behind her.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked again.

 

The guy straightened up and then stretched his arms upward. “That’s a great spot there for sleeping,” he said, pointing at the shelf behind him. “Never really realized it until I tried it this afternoon.”

 

Hayi looked at him with narrowed eyes. “You were sleeping there all this time?”

 

The guy nodded. “How about you, what are you doing here?”

 

Hayi raised her brow. “This is a library, if you haven’t noticed it yet. I was here to study,” Hayi said and shook her head. She turned around and walked away. “Look, quickly pack your things; I’m going to lock this place up.”

 

Hayi walked towards the door, expecting the weird guy to have picked up and gathered his things up. When she opened the door and turned around to see if the strange guy was finished yet, she almost jumped on her spot when she bumped into his chest.

 

“YAH!” she shouted on his face when she looked up and glared at him. “I told you gather your things because I’m closing the library. What were you doing behind me?”

 

The guy shrugged. “I got nothing,” he said. “Now, let’s go home,” he said and snatched her bag and slung it on his shoulder.

 

Hayi took a moment before she realized what the guy did. She locked the library quickly and looked forward where the guy was already walking away with her SpongeBob bag slung on his shoulder. “HEY! Give me my bag back!”

 

Hayi tried getting it but he was holding on to it firmly. “My name’s Hanbin. What’s yours? SpongeBob?”

 

Hayi glared at him. “NO! That’s my bag! GIVE IT BACK!”

 

Hanbin tilted his head. “That’s-my-bag sure is a weird name.”

 

“ARRGH!” Hayi was frustrated as she was pulling on her bag from his shoulder. She pulled hard until she was successful to snatch it from him.

 

Hanbin stared down at her and smiled goofily, even though she was practically killing him with his glare.

 

“What are you doing, huh? You like this bag so much?! I’ll buy you one then! Okay?!” Hayi said before she stomped her way away from him, mumbling to herself of what a jerk the guy was.

 

“Are you going to walk home in the dark?” Hanbin called.

 

Hayi ignored him as she mocked him by imitating his voice.

 

“I’ll walk you home if you want,” Hanbin offered.

 

“No, thank you, weird guy,” Hayi said, rolling her eyes.

 

“Whatever you say, that’s-my-bag,” Hanbin said and laughed at his own silly joke.

 

 

 

 

 

Hayi continued walking on the streets, humming a tune to herself. It was already dark and just a few people were strolling, some of them probably on their way home too. When she arrived at their neighborhood, she reached the creepiest street where the streetlight didn’t work. Every night she had to go through here. She always had a flashlight with her but when she looked for it inside her bag, she didn’t have it. That was when she remembered she left it in her locker.

 

With trembling legs and thumping heart, she passed by the dark street, praying she wouldn’t encounter ghosts or assailants. Her humming turned into singing as she just concentrated into her song to distract herself.

 

Suddenly, she felt something furry touch her legs so she let out a scream. She then ran hurriedly forward where she could already see the next streetlamp. However, she tripped on something and she fell, just in time as she arrived under the light.

 

“Are you alright? Hey! Hey! Are you okay?” a guy’s voice entered her ears. She lifted her head but her tears covered her sight. “Tell me you’re alright. Are you hurt anywhere?”

 

Hayi wiped her tears away and sniffed. The guy’s face then was clearer on her sight. “You…”

 

“Are you hurt? It was just a cat. Were you scared?” Hanbin asked, genuinely concerned.

 

Hayi blinked up at him and hastily stood up to dust her skirt off. “I wasn’t scared. I was… frightened.”

 

A chuckle escaped his lips as he started walking again, following Hayi who looked like she was still shaking and panting for air.

 

“Hey,” Hanbin called again when he noticed she stopped in front of a house and got something from her pocket and put it in . “Are you alright?” When he was already beside her, he saw that she was inhaling from an inhaler several times before she kept it inside her pocket. “Are you…”

 

“Not another word,” Hayi said as she inhaled deeply once again. She faced him and glared at him once more. “You were following me all night and you didn’t utter one word. What if I felt your presence and I got scared more? What if I thought you were a criminal who was going to rob me? What if I stabbed you with my pen again and panicked once I realized it were just you? Stop doing that creepy thing okay?” she panted again, taking several quick intakes of air. “You’re a weird guy.”

 

Hanbin looked down as he felt embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I won’t do it anymore,” he said. “I’m going home then.”

 

Hayi stared at his retreating back as he walked away.

 

Before she turned towards her house, she took one last look at him. “At least I felt safe when you showed up after I freaked out,” she said and shook her head. “Weird guy.”

 

 

 

 

 

----

 

A/N: all hail to the birth of a new ship! The B.Hi ship. bwahahahahaha. thanks for all those who voted for BI/Hanbin. I never really expected him, you know. and, i apologize to the ZeHi/HiLo and UpHi shippers. T_T Maybe next time guys. see you on the next chappie.

 

PS: don't expect this to be a long long long fic, like my DG fics. haha