Fearless

My Song Collection

"That was really good," I smiled at Kris.  I couldn't explain how happy I was; after crushing on him for two years and thinking that it was only a one-sided love, he had finally asked me out on a date last week.  We went to a popular local Korean restaurant, and we both weren't disappointed. 

"I'm glad you liked it," he replied, smiling.  His soft grin caused my heart to beat like crazy.  I was instantly thankful that he couldn't hear my heartbeat.  That would be just embarrassing. 

Our waitress, who was indeed trying to get Kris's attention, came to our table then to collect our empty plates and give us the bill. 

"Here handsome," she purred, handing Kris the leather billfold.  "Call me sometime."  She smiled seductively before lightly brushing her hand against his shoulder and walking back to the entrance to seat other customers. 

I pouted.  I couldn't help but feel childishly jealous, especially when she was so pretty.  She was the type who just had so much confidence; the type of girl that any guy would want to date. 

My doubts faded when I looked up at Kris.  He just rolled his eyes and sighed, shaking his head as he signed the bill and paid. 

"Ready to go?"  He looked at me with his handsome eyes.  Blood rushed to my cheeks. 

"Yeah," I managed to squeak.  He chuckled, making me blush even more. 

Gosh. 

We stood in unison, walking to the entrance so Kris could give our waitress back the bill.  Before he handed it to her, though, he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. 

I swear I almost had a heart attack. 

"Thank you for coming," our waitress smiled, but it instantly faded when she looked down at our hands.  Her flirtatious grin was replaced by a look of disgust.  "Come again."  The way she said it was sarcastic; she obviously was hoping we wouldn't, and was humiliated that she had just been indirectly rejected.  Not to mention the fact that she was flirting with a gay guy. 

Kris said nothing as we walked side-by-side out the building, but stopped outside when he realized it was pouring. 

"Shoot," he sighed, turning to me.  "I'm so sorry, Tao.  I didn't know it was going to rain.  I don't want you to get wet..." 

"It's okay," I assured him, smiling softly.  "I like the rain." 

He smiled in relief. 

So, instead of running through the rain trying to avoid getting wet like how I usually would have if I was with anyone else, or even if I was by myself, we walked slowly to his car, unconsciously closing the gap between us when we felt the cold drops on our skin. 

When we reached his expensive sports car (yeah, his family's very rich), he opened the door for me and made sure I got in before he went in himself.  Just like a gentleman. 

The drive back was comfortable.  Slow and silent; not in an awkward way, but in a soothing way.  It was the first time I noticed how beautiful the street looked in the rain.  The glow of the streetlights matched well with the pavement. 

My heart warmed. 

I looked up at Kris during a red-light, only to find him staring back at me with his powerful eyes.  He smirked when I started to blush again.

"You're so cute, Tao." 

"T-thanks..." I stammered. 

He laughed.  The way he ran his hand through his hair reminded me of when I had been crushing on him from afar.  I remembered perfectly the longing I had always felt.  I bit my lip to prevent blushing even more. 

Thankfully, the green-light took his attention and forced his eyes to turn back to the road. 

Although we were almost at my house, I secretly wished that he would drive slower.  I wanted this ride to last as long as possible.  I wanted to stay with him as long as I could tonight. 

As if he could read my thoughts, Kris started to drive noticeably slower.  It still felt comfortable; still felt so right, and I never wanted it to end. 

The rain continued to pour, tapping on the windows.  I stared, fascinated by the way it ran down the sides of the car, amazed by its beauty. 

The car came to a stop all too soon. 

"We're here," Kris smiled at me.  I returned the smile, slowly and carefully getting out of the car.  I did not want to trip and fall in the slippery wetness. 

Feeling the cold rain on my skin gave me an idea.  It seemed totally out of character for me.  But I really wanted to...

"Kris," I grabbed his hand, instantly feeling complete. 

"Hm?" he asked, surprised that I had made the first move this time. 

My cheeks burned; nevertheless, I looked up at him and wrapped my arms around his neck.  I stared at his chocolate-brown eyes, immediately getting lost in them.  The rain ran down the sides of our cheeks. 

"Dance with me," I whispered. 

What seemed like a small smile lit up his face.  My heart skipped a beat; it was the cutest thing I've ever seen.  And then he placed his hands on my waist, and we started to dance in unison, dancing to the exact same song that was playing silently in the background. 

We were on the exact same page.  Our moves matched each other's perfectly.  The rain got us soaked, got us cold, but I didn't care.  We didn't care. 

After getting used to the cold drops, my skin adapted to it, and Kris's arms started to feel better and better against my own. 

I pulled myself closer and closer to his chest until I was hugging him, my head against his heart.  His clothes were drenched and froze my ear, but I closed my eyes, the faint sound of his heartbeat a serene lullaby that made me forget about everything. 

"Tao," Kris whispered, placing his warm hand against my cheek.  He gently pulled my face from his chest to look up at him.  His other hand grabbed my hand from his neck and intertwined our fingers. 

I trembled, not because of the cold, but because of my nerves. 

It took me a second to realize that our faces were inching closer and closer to each other's. 

For a split second, I felt so hesitant and scared about everything.  My first kiss...no matted how much I liked Kris, should I give my first kiss to him?  Am I ready?  Would we last? 

And then, I knew I was ready.  Looking into Kris's eyes gave me all the confidence I ever needed.  I leaned in at the same pace as him, and our lips touched softly. 

I gasped at how nice it felt. 

Perfect.  Flawless. 

I slowly moved my lips against his, my heart rate increasing.  Our lips molded together like they were always meant to be touching each other's. 

I never pictured my first date to end in the pouring rain.  But now I knew that it couldn't have ended any better. 

Kris pulled away and smiled at me.  "I love you, Tao." 

I wasn't sure if it was tears or if it was the rain running down my face.  Maybe it was a combination of both. 

"I love you too, Kris," I sobbed. 

He chuckled and leaned in again, kissing my tears. 

"You're too cute." 

I pouted.  "You're cuter." 

"I don't think so," he laughed, kissing my lips again. 

My life was finally complete.