1

Can't Keep on Loving You (From a Distance)

 

Sehun dislikes being the new guy.

But being one is inevitable after his father came home from work one night and happily announced that he'd been reassigned to the Sokcho branch of the company he works for, effective almost immediately.

Sehun suspected his father was sacked, because they’re residing in Seoul and moving to a smaller branch outside of the capital, with the same position did not really scream promotion. But he decided not to rain on his father's parade and kept that thought to himself. So, the very next weekend he found himself and his family (read: mom and dad) boxing all their things to ship to Sokcho.

He'll be sophomore this coming term, which will be the following week and he's slightly miffed that he'll be the new guy when everyone’s already established friendships and groups back in freshman year.

Great! He'll be the awkward loner noob.

Only his father seemed ecstatic about the relocation maybe because he'll be back to his hometown. Yep, his father's roots are from that humble place.

Sehun is not a total stranger to the rest of his clan but he is a Seoul kid, born and raised in the capital and the busiest city of the Korean peninsula. So it broke his heart a little when he had to kiss his beloved neighborhood goodbye where his firsts of memories all took place. He promised his friends he'll visit often or they can come over to Sokcho and hang out.

 

 

So now he's standing at the gate of his new school as students all file in for the start of the school year.

Just then, an arm went around his neck, making him stoop a few inches. He glared at the person to whom that arm is attached to.

"Hey there new guy!" The guy's voice is a little too loud for Sehun's liking and he did not bother to show his detest but the guy just chuckled louder and even had the nerve to ruffle his hair, which he spent half an hour fixing. He's about to shove the guy away from him when the said offender all but attached himself to Sehun's side, when yet another voice interrupted them.

"Oi, Jongdae-yah! Hurry up!"

"Yeah, I'll be there." Jongdae shouted back bit the person already a few meters away so probably didn't hear, so he gave Sehun another glance before he tugs the latter along. "C'mon."

"Yah! Let me go, will you." Sehun's having a hard time walking because Jongdae's arm is still latched around his neck and Jongdae is significantly shorter than him. After what seemed like a full tackling battle between the two along the way, they reached a group of guys along the hallway where they seemed to be stacking there things into their lockers.

"Hey guys!"

"Oh, hey Jong--- oh…who's he?"

All grin, Jongdae finally let Sehun go, and the taller of the two up righted himself to his full height and fixed his clothes

"Guys, meet my little cousin Oh Sehun."

Little? Sehun narrowed his eyes at his cousin. "Last time I checked, you are more little than me." Jongdae's friends howled and pat Sehun's back in approval.

"I like you a lot. Let's be good friends, eh?" A guy with deep dimple on both cheeks offered his hand to Sehun. "Zhang Yixing, junior."

Jongdae, not particularly pleased about height jokes, howled a YAH! but was ignored.

"Oh Sehun,sophomore, hyung." The younger bowed a little as he shakes the proffered hand. So this guy is same age with his cousin. Sehun eyed the two other guys.

"This is Luhan hyung and Minseok hyung, seniors." Jongdae deadpanned while pointing at his two other friends. He's particularly sensitive about jokes on being vertically-inept.

Sehun raised his brows as if not believing his cousin. "Seniors?" He looked at Luhan and Minseok. To be honest they looked like they’re from junior high, Jongdae must be pulling his leg, which must be obvious in Sehun's face how he doubts his cousin.

"We're both seniors." Luhan confirmed while sniggering, clearly amused at Sehun's look of disbelief.

"Their looks can be deceiving." Yixing interjected, his tone laced with warning which Sehun did not fail to pick up.

"Ok, c'mon I’ll take you to the office. Let’s get your schedule." Sehun bowed once more and they both took their leave. His cousin's crowd is not that bad. "Meet me in the cafeteria for later for lunch. I assume you don't wanna eat alone. Here's the map. Don't get lost ok?"

No doubt his new school is definitely smaller than his former one. The map is not really very helpful but Sehun managed not to get lost by just asking for directions.

 

In his homeroom, even though it was no surprise when he was asked to introduced himself in front of the class, he was still annoyed by it.

He hates being the new guy. Muttering stupid introduction in front, trying to make friends with your seatmate, established status and make sure not to be in the bottom of the school's social hierarchy.

But being the new guy means you are in the bottom, lucky for him he has a cousin so he won't be a total loser eating alone during lunch. He does not aspire to hang out with coolest kids but he does not fancy a weird outcast label either.

Then, after the dreaded introduction, he was instructed to sit next to a guy with a thousand megawatt smile that can surely light their entire apartment building back in Seoul. Maybe he's trying to land himself a toothpaste commercial or something.

When the bell announcing lunch rung, he just followed the throng of.people heading towards a certain direction. The cafeteria is of course crowded with students, and then he saw Jongdae's table with the people met this morning with new faces, girls. He walked past all the chaos and Jongdae saw him nearing their table.

He stood up to clasp his hands on.the younger's shoulder. "My cousin, Oh Sehun. Meet Seo Joohyun and Hwang Miyoung, the rest of my friends."

Sehun smiled a little and politely bowed to the two pretty ladies in the circular table. He recognized one besides Jongdae is Minseok then Luhan. He assumed they are juniors like Jongdae, when he noticed Jongdae did not used honorifics. Sehun noticed Luhan have his arm around the one named Joohyun, as him and Jongdae are taking their seats.

"So you're the young cousin from Seoul. I agree with Minseok Oppa, you look more related to Luhan Oppa than Jongdae." Miyoung smiled at him. Her smile is one of the best that Sehun ever saw, her eyes disappear to a lovely crescents.

"Told yah." Minseok looked pleased with Miyoung.

"But Luhan hyung is way more good-looking." that earned Sehun a smirk of approval from Luhan, like telling him, I like you kid.

"Why don't you compliment me, I'm your cousin." Jongdae complained, taking grudge at his cousin’s apparent lack of loyalty.

"Who's your cousin?" Came a deep husky voice from a very tall blonde guy taking a seat next to Tiffany.

"Hyung, my cousin Oh Sehun. Kris Wu. Captain of the basketball team." Kris offered a hand which Sehun reluctantly took. The basketball captain has this intimidating aura and he kinda gives the I-don’t-give-a- vibe. They all laughed at Sehun and Minseok said, "He does not bite. Don't worry."

"Where is Xing?" Kris just changed the topic, must be tired of those old jokes.

"Dance club." Luhan tilted his head over a table the corner.

Kris gave Sehun a scrutinizing look which made Sehun gulped. Should he run? Maybe Minseok’s warning wasn’t a joke.

"You're quite tall. Are you really related to Jongdae?" but his cousin's protest of "Oh c'mon" was ignored by Kris when he offered "Wanna try out for the team?" to Sehun. This time it was Luhan who protested. "Hey! not fair!"

"Luhan hyung is part of the football club." Jongdae explained.

"I'll think about it hyung.” It was the only consolation Sehun can offer, because he has no intention of joining the basketball team neither the soccer team.

 

 

After a couple more weeks and Sehun's finally getting the hang of his new school. He made friends with some guys from his own class. The guy with a blinding smile is Chanyeol. There is also Kyungsoo with his bug eyes that look liked it'll pop out of its sockets if he'll open them any wider.

Of course he'd still be rather in Seoul given the chance but this place is not that bad. He concluded that after he passed by the dance club one day when was late for a class and he took a detour.

Damn that Diablo III, now he's all sleepy and uncoordinated limbs looking harassed in his uniform he hastily put on. Not his best day.

He heard a familiar beat of hiphop from Jay-Z and even though he is already late for class he still stop and stared at the girl dancing in the middle of the room. And Sehun found himself gaping at the perfection that is in front of him.

Who is she?

She's an angel that descended from heaven to mingle with mortals. She dances to the beat like her it’s second nature. With every move of her body Sehun can't look away. Her moves are impeccable, precise snap and pops. Her stage charisma is absolutely captivating.

Sehun noticed she has petite figure just matched her height. Her skin is of flawless glow that makes her radiates, which only enticed Sehun into a dreamy state. Her face is perfect. Her eyes sparkle while cheeks are dusted with pink color. Her long straight black hair frames her perfect face. And her lips, Sehun gulps at the pink lips that hypnotized him.

Then the music stopped and that snapped him out of his reverie.

He groaned at his watch because even if he can teleport himself in his classroom this instant, he's still late and will probably be scolded by his homeroom.

He looked back at the room before rounding up the corner and told himself he'll drop by again.

Kwon Boa is her name. She's the head cheerleader, president of the dance club, member of the debate team, straight A student, that much Sehun knew and most importantly she's a senior.

He gave his cousin are-you-pulling-my-leg look, when he asked Jongdae about her and Jongdae just simply returned the gesture what-would-I-get-if-I-do-that.

Even though he made new friends, he still hangs out with his cousin's friends during lunch.

Yixing's space is once again empty and he gave Jongdae a questioning look, who used his chin to point towards the missing male's general direction. Yixing is with a couple of people a few table from theirs.

When he's about to tear his gaze, his eyes caught sight of the angel. The one he saw dancing this morning. And she is talking to Yixing, so he nudged his cousin to gather information and Jongdae blabbered all those without batting a lash. She's pretty popular. Hard to stay on low profile with face that beautiful and body that gorgeous not to mention she's also smart. But a senior? Really? Wow. She's two years older than him. He was not sure how to take that piece of information.

Then Yixing went back their table to finally eat his lunch which is takes in large mouthfuls he almost choked.

"Slow down, Xing." Luhan chuckled, after giving his friend some water.

"But I am hungry and I didn't even have breakfast." as he once again wolfed down his chapchae and a roll of kimbap which he fills his mouth with alternately

"You are having meetings every lunch time. Something wrong?" Kris asked.

"Well, you see.." Yixing tried to answer promptly but then he started spewing bits and pieces of glass noodles and rice everywhere. Yixing immediately swallowed his food after receiving a roar of protest from his friends and apologized before continuing, "Well you see, majority of our club will graduate this year and the remaining ones are mostly juniors, like me. So we are trying to strategize a way to recruit more."

After explaining himself, he continued with his lunch. So they are in desperate need of new members, Sehun is willing to sacrifice his free time and be in a club for his Yixing hyung. I could see her every day. He was about to voice out his desire but then he remembered Kris' offer about joining the basketball team. He'll just corner Yixing later.

 

"Are you good?" Was the dimpled guy's first question when he expressed his willingness to help the dance club and join it.

"I’m not bad." He was in the dance club back in his former school. He followed Yixing after lunch.

"Ok." Yixing seems to consider what he said.

"So that's it? I’m in?"

"No." Yixing laughed. "You have to show up during try outs. Bring some of your friends too."

 

Kyungsoo is already part of the glee club and he has no desire for another club anymore. Chanyeol turned out one of the worst person ever to show up in the try outs. Sehun was extremely embarrassed on his behalf. He’s very tall and lanky and full of long limbs which dangle in the most bizarre way. His timing is way off beat and it appears like he is dancing to his own rhythm. In short he didn't make it. Sehun on the other hand, came prepared and ready to impress everyone especially the president. He danced to his routine with finesse, fluid motions in precise beats. After his turn, there is no doubt in his mind that he got in.

 

And he did. His name was on the top list when it was posted in the bulletin board.

 

 


a/n: im sorry for the ugly. btw, sokcho is like a three-hour ride from seoul.

image not mine.