The Story

Graduation Ball

Yenne is an ordinary student of the prestigious university of music in Seoul, the Seoul Conservatory of Music. She’s expecting to graduate after this school year as her life plan is.

“Yenne, we’re graduating soon, haven’t you found Mr. Right yet?” Yunhee, one of Yenne’s closest friends playfully asked.

“Yah! Waeyo? Can’t I graduate without going out with a guy?” Yenne raised a brow at her friend.

“It’s just that you have so many suitors but you choose that guy, whom you never met, to entertain than those who personally approach you,” Jaemin, another close friend of Yenne, reasoned out.

“Guys leave my love life alone will you?”

“Come on Yenne! Go out with some real boys! Maybe the next time we know you and that virtual suitor of yours is already a couple!” Yunhee argued and Yenne just flashed a meaningful smile.

“Oh no! Don’t tell me! Yah! That smile! Stop Yenne! You really have lost your mind!” Jaemin burst out making a scene.

“What’s wrong with you Jaemin? Calm your nerves. What’s wrong with it?” Yenne said.

“Yah! What you did is all wrong!”

“Hey guys! You two are making quite a scene, please tone down!” Yunhee said cutting out the scene they are making.

“Yenne’s going out with her virtual suitor! How can I tone down? Ugh…even the term ‘going out’ doesn’t fit what you are in!” –Jaemin

“Oh my God! You’re really insane!” Yunhee said.

“Come on guys! I’ll meet with him,” Yenne gave up arguing.

“When?” Jaemin and Yunhee asked in unison.

“Soon,” Yenne just smiled and leaned back on her chair.

“You’re really unbelievable!” Jaemin surrendered.

That’s Yenne and the little clique she belongs in. Jaemin is her childhood friend; they were friends since they were still in diapers. The other is Yunhee, the two met her during their first year in college and the three of them started hanging out together.

-

“Annyeong Songsaengnim!” Yenne just finished her piano training for today and she was on her way to her locker when she bumped into a girl…

“Mianhe!” the girl bowed and left quickly that Yenne just had a glimpse of her face.

“I didn’t even have the chance to say sorry,” Yenne shrugged away the thought of apologizing and went to her locker.

When Yenne was getting out of the building her phone vibrated in her pocket, so she fished it out and saw that she just received a text message.

Fr: Him <3

To: Yenne

Hey! How was your day? Have you gone home yet?

It’s her virtual boyfriend asking if she’s home already. I say virtual because they never met personally. Yenne haven’t got any idea how this guy got her number, at first Yenne ignored all the messages but he was persistent. Eventually Yenne replied to him and they became text mates and now a couple.

Fr: Yenne

To: Him <3

I’m on my way home. Just finished my lessons.

Yenne replied her so-called boyfriend then started walking to the bus stop. Then on the bus Yenne received a reply.

Fr: Him <3

To: Yenne

It’s late already. Take care on your way.

The two of them chatted until Yenne got home and until she went to bed. So with a smile on Yenne’s face she bid farewell to him and went to sleep.

-

The next day Yenne was all smiles when she entered her first class.

“What’s with the smile?” Jaemin asked as Yenne sits beside her.

“Nothing,” Yenne casually said and brought out the things she needed for the subject.

“If I know that smile is for her boyfriend,” Yunhee just arrived and sat on the other side of Jaemin.

“Seriously guys, can we stop talking about it? At least I’m happy, just be happy for me,” Yenne looked at her friends.

“Is he even real?” Jaemin asked.

“Yeah…I can feel it, he’s around there somewhere.”

“How could you prove it?” Yunhee questioned further.

“Here, I found this attached to my locker earlier,” Yenne showed them a white tulip and a note.

“What does the note say?” -Jaemin

“It’s a secret! It’s for my eyes only,” Yenne hid the note.

“Then ask him to show up. Maybe that flower came from someone else and not him.” –Jaemin

“Yenne the graduation ball is fast approaching, ask him if he can be your date.” –Yunhee

“Ok, I’ll ask him. Just so you two will stop,” Yenne gave up.

With Yenne’s happy mood completely ruined by her friends. She went on with her day silently. All because of the morning’s mood wrecker a doubt built up on her mind. The debate Yenne had with her friends earlier kept on repeating on her mind. Questions about her lover’s identity are swarming in her head. Yes they only know each other through text but Yenne can feel that what they have is true.

-

It’s been weeks since Yenne told her friends that she’ll meet up with her boyfriend but she haven’t asked him yet. She can’t just ask because she’s afraid that he would think that she doesn’t trust him. Another reason is that every morning she goes on her locker. She completely got lost on all her doubts and fall for his sweetness. He never missed a day on putting on some gifts and letters on her locker door.

Yenne is not in the mood ever since doubts started to pop in her mind. She needs answers as soon as possible or else she’ll be insane.

“Yenne!” Jaemin broke Yenne’s trail of thoughts

“We are in school girls, don’t shout,” Yenne turned to her friends who just showed up.

“Yunhee has something to tell you.”

“Why should I be the one to tell her? You saw it too! You tell her,” Yunhee protested.

“Ok guys if you’ll just argue again leave me out of it. I’m not in the mood,” Yenne cut off the argument even before it starts.

“This might boost up your mood but I think it might make it worst,” Jaemin started.

“We found who puts those presents and love notes in your locker,” Yunhee continued.

“Really? Who?” Yenne had a sudden change of mood.

“We saw a girl put the sticky note on your locker earlier,” Jaemin showed Yenne a photo from her phone as evidence.

“We don’t want to spoil your love life Yenne but I think this guy you’re calling your boyfriend doesn’t exist.” –Yunhee

“I think someone is playing with you.” –Jaemin

“Guys…I-I don’t want to jump to conclusions. I t-trust him and…and I’ll ask the girl maybe she is just making him a favor because he’s busy,” Yenne said trying to stop her tears because a large part of her believes what her friends are saying. The doubts she had been pushing on the back of her mind was just confirmed by her friends.

At lunch Yenne came to a sudden realization.

“Jaemin can I look at the picture again?”

“What picture?” Jaemin asked.

“The picture of the girl putting a note in my locker.”

Jaemin showed the picture to Yenne once again.

“I think I know who she is,” Yenne said as she looks at the girl in the picture.

“You know her?” Yunhee raised her brow.

“She was that girl, the one who bumped into me when I had my piano sessions with Kim songsaengnim.”

“Really?” Jaemin raised a brow at Yenne.

“Yeah and I think she’s my hoobae at the piano club.”

“So? What are you going to do?” Yunhee asked.

“Are you going to ask her?” –Jaemin

“What else?” Yenne smiled and got out of the cafeteria.

After their afternoon classes Yenne saw her target. The girl from the picture is in front of her, caught in the act of posting a note on her locker, so she quickly approached the girl…

“Hey! Excuse me…” the girl was startled and Yenne could see it in her face when the girl turned to face her.

“Mianhe sunbae…” the girl made an apologetic bow.

“Umm…why are you in front of my locker?”

“N-nothing sunbae…” the girl stuttered as she tried to deny.

“All this time you were the one putting those love notes and flowers in my locker?”

“Umm…y-yes,” the girl said looking down.

“All of that? You were also the one I’m texting?”

“Aniyo sunbae…I was just doing someone a favor.”

“Then who? Are you guys playing a prank on me?”

“Sorry sunbae, I can’t tell you. I promised not to tell who those are from.”

“Aish…stop playing this prank on me! Who are you by the way?” Yenne was so confused and very frustrated.

“I’m W-wu Yumi, sophomore piano major. Uhh…sunbae I’m really sorry, I promised him, all I can say is that this is not a prank,” after saying so the girl, Yumi, excused herself and left Yenne.

Yenne was not herself after her conversation with Yumi that she was dismissed early from her piano session. Her mind is all over the place, and then suddenly her phone vibrated on her pocket.

Fr: Him<3

To: Yenne

Hey! How’s your day? I miss you!

In normal circumstances, Yenne would be so happy when she receives a text from her “boyfriend” but right now she doesn’t know what to feel and mindlessly typed a reply.

Fr: Yenne

To: Him<3

If this is all a game, please stop it.

After sending a reply Yenne gathered up all the love notes and gifts from him, put it in a box and kept it in the storage room of their house. When she got back to her room she received a reply and they started a little conversation.

Him: What are you talking about yeobo?

Yenne: Yeobo? This is just a prank, I already know.

Him: No it’s not. I’m not pretending.

Yenne: If this is real, why won’t you show up and meet me?

Him: I’m waiting for the right time to show myself to you.

Yenne: What kind of alibi is that? I already know the truth about those love notes.

Him: It’s all from me.

Yenne: Delivered by a girl? Yeah, from you.

Him: I just told her to do that for me. She’s my little sister.

Yenne: The game is over.

With that last message Yenne decided to face “reality” and didn’t even bother to read his reply.

The next day Yenne received a lot of messages from her “ex” but she didn’t even bother to open it and just deleted it immediately.

“Hey! Yenne? Are you with us?” Jaemin snapped her fingers in front of Yenne’s face. They are on a boutique trying out dresses for the upcoming ball.

“Uhh…yeah,” Yenne said coming back to reality.

“You are definitely not ok,” Jaemin said as she looks at her reflection on the mirror.

“Why wouldn’t I be ok?”

“’cause your mind is somewhere else!” Yunhee said as she got of the fitting room.

“Thinking of your virtual boyfriend again?” Jaemin frowned.

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” Yenne said and checked on some dresses on the rack.

“Did I hear it right? Did you just say you’re single?” Jaemin turned around to face Yenne.

“Yeah,” Yenne rolled her eyes.

“What happened?” Yunhee started to interrogate Yenne.

“Nothing! Forget about it and stop ok?”

“You two broke up?” –Jaemin

“Yeah, just how you like it. Happy now?”

“Well…it’s not that we’re happy,” Jaemin said.

“You guys were right. He was not real, it was all a game.”

“Hey…don’t be sad, we’re still here,” Jaemin comforted Yenne.

“Yeah we’ll be your date to the ball,” Yunhee gently pats Yenne’s back.

­-GRADUATION BALL-

“Where is she?” Jaemin mumbled as she walked back and forth.

“Yenne still not here?” Yunhee anxiously approached Jaemin and the two of them scanned the crowd.

“Hey! Sorry I’m late,” Yenne said as she approached her friends.

“Very late!” Jaemin complained as she put on her mask.

“Come on let’s go inside,” Yenne put her mask on and the three of them entered the ballroom

Jaemin was smiling while dancing with her partner, Jaejoong, and Yunhee had her arms around Suho while dancing. Yenne, sighed as she sipped a small amount of wine from her glass. She has the dress, the mask, and the shoes. There’s just one tiny thing lacking: NO GUY.

Many guys were asking her to dance the whole time since they arrived but she rejected them all. She felt sorry for them but she wants her first dance to be with someone perfect.

“Evening seniors!” the host suddenly said from the stage, startling Yenne. “How’s the night so far?”

Screams were heard from every corner of the grand ballroom in reply. “Anyways, we prepared something for you all, aside for the dance king and queen. We’re going to pick two random senior from the ground to officially open tonight’s ball!” the emcee continued and received more squeals from the crowd.

Instantly, the lights went off. Yenne felt the people rushing around, and knowing better she remained on her seat while two spotlights circled around the hall. Then the two spotlights stopped on two people: the very surprised Yenne…and a tall, mysterious, black-masked guy.

Yenne felt her body getting weak as she was requested to go on the center of the dance floor. Yenne, with her mask still on, she observed the guy. Since the spotlight was the only source of light that moment. It was hard for her to exactly recognize her partner. His tux was so perfect even it’s just the plain black and white tuxedo.

Soft waltz music began to play. Yenne placed one hand on his shoulder, the other in his hands. He entwined his right with hers and placed the other on her petite waist as they danced with the music.

“Who are you?” Yenne curiously asked in a whisper.

“Always blunt, aren’t you?” the guy whispered with his velvety voice.

“Have I known you before?” Yenne remained clueless about her dance partner’s identity.

“Maybe, of course.”

“I think I do but I guess no really, but thanks,” Yenne smiled.

“What for?” the guy spun Yenne around.

“It’s nice being with you,” Yenne laid her head on the masked-guy’s chest and thought that these are better in reality.

-

Yenne smelled the white tulip, he handed her. The guy still remained “unnamed” as he led Yenne in the patio, leaning on the rails. Yenne drowned at the sight, his effortless attempt to look good, and the mysterious aura he is emitting. Yenne stared at the prince in front of him; it was like he just came out of a fairy tale story.

“I’m going to melt,” the guy snickered and Yenne blushed then went to his side, leaning as well.

“Want to talk about something?”

“No, not really,” Yenne said as she hugged herself and sat on the bench. He came close to her and remived his coat, wrapping it around Yenne from behind. Surprised, Yenne removed her mask revealing a raised eyebrow to face him.

“You’re cold,” he simply said and sat beside her, putting his arms around her. if it was some other guys, Yenne would have kicked him in the groins but this guy seems to be close to her, resembling the only guy she considered perfect.

HER VIRTUAL BOYFRIEND>

Yenne turned to her mystery prince. She hadn’t realize that such a wonderful guy existed. This man is Lee Yenne’s prince charming.

“I’m going,” her mysterious prince stood up and Yenne turned pale.

“Please stay.”

The guy shook his head, and caressed her cheecks as he stared deep into her pleading eyes. “I’m sorry, but this was long over.”

“Don’t go,” Yenne held his hands.

“I still don’t know who you are.”

“Yes you do…you know a lot about me…yeobo.”

“Yeobo? You? You’re…”

Yenne didn’t finish her sentence and the guy already answered.

“Yes, it’s me yeobo. I couldn’t find an easy way to properly say sorry and really say goodbye.”

“So you’re going without properly showing yourself?”

“It’s no use showing up now. I know I hurt you and I’m sorry.”

“But you showed up, right?” Yenne still held his hands.

“But it’s too late.”

“Nothing is too late,” Yenne gently removed the guys mask revealing Lee Yenne’s prince charming, Wu Yifan. “We can start all over again.”

Without another word, Kris cupped Yenne’s face and passionately kissed her princess.

“Yenne saranghae.”

“Nado saranghae.”