Jongin

Duodecim
 

"Tell me the reason why you came back here without bringing what I asked of you." Jongin saw his master's hand clasping the armrest of his seat.

 
  He trembled at the tone of his master's voice. Even when kneeling in front of him, Jongin had difficulty in keeping himself still. It is not a good thing to anger his master. Once, his master ordered the beheading of his cupbearer for bringing him water instead of wine. Jongin was unfortunately there when it happened.
 
  The boy was only at the age of ten, Jongin remembered. Their master had just heard news of deserters in their ranks. The boy was shaking with fear when he was asked of a simple task like fetching their master his wine. But the boy had left his wits elsewhere and brought his master a cup of water. Before even drinking a mouthful, their master spat the water and threw the cup against the stone wall. Their master's hand swept for the boy, hitting him full in the face. Their master rose from his seat and ordered them to dispatch the boy in front of him. At first no one moved but none of them wanted to be part of their master's anger. Two of those who were present moved to do the deed. One of them held the boy's arms behind him and pushed him forward to make him kneel. The boy pleaded for mercy and started to cry loudly. The other boy had produced an greatsword from thin air. Surprisingly, the boy lifted the greatsword with no signs of difficulty. With one swift , the boy lost his head and his lifeblood pooled at the middle of the room.
 
  Bowing his head so low, he spoke in a reserved but audible voice. "Master, what you seek is still in the hands of the enemy. But the reason why I came is to inform you that the boy has discovered his powers."
 
  To Jongin's surprise, the information seems to amuse his master. A wicked chuckle echoed throughout his master's quarters. It gave Jongin a cold feeling through his spine. Jongin only had to shudder at it. He knew that laugh very well. He knew that his master had come up of a plan.
 
  "Good. Keep an eye for that boy. He may be something of use to us someday. You may go." Jongin's master dismissed him with a wave of the hand. Jongin bowed his head once more before rising to his feet. A cold sweat ran down from his forehead when he turned his back on his master.
 
  Walking back to his own quarters, he remembered that time again. It would flicker into Jongin's mind more often than not. At that time, he had feared for his life more than when he faced his master. At that time, he almost lost his life. He did not expect that the boy would have such power.. He remembered how he was just a few steps closer to the wagon of the castlemen when the earth beneath him began to rise at a fast rate. If it wasn't for his gift, he would have been dead on the ground, his head smashed into bits. But he was still lucky that it was only the boy who woke up that night. If it was the other two who were with the boy, he will surely be dead by now.
 
  When he had reached his bedchamber, Minseok had already been there. Just like him, Minseok has a gift of his own; though not the same one that he has. When looking at Minseok, he may just be a man with an average height and a comely face but he is one of the deadliest men Jongin knows. He had seen him kill two people in one swift motion, creating sharp icicles from thin air, slicing their enemies' throats as if they were paper. But Minseok is only ruthless when he has to be. Minseok has the gentlest voice Jongin had ever heard. When he talks, one would never expect that he could kill a man in a heartbeat.
 
  "How did your talk with the master go?" Minseok asked.
 
  "I had lived another day. Do you have to ask how did it go? But if you're really interested, master is curious about that boy I told you about. I think he wants to have him collected."
 
  Both of them grimaced at the thought. The two of them had once belonged to families that loved them until their master had them collected for their powers. Those who opposed their master had paid dearly for their folly.
 
  Jongin had been serving his master since he was a child. He remembered how he was trained until his body is full of bruises. He had to train for hand-fighting and sword-fighting. Jongin found that he didn't like sword-fighting, although necessary when they are out for their mission. He didn't like how one sharp steel could steal a life from a someone with just a good slash to somewhere vital.
 
  The food offered to them were limited. Jongin preferred to be on the field to the reason that they had the freedom to hunt for their meal. But here they had to endure empty stomachs when evening comes. They find that sleeping through it was their only answer.
 
  Jongin woke up sweating the next day. He had a nightmare that recounted the memory that has been bothering him; only this time he dreamed that he had cracked his skull upon falling. The pain felt so real that Jongin had to tell himself that it was only a nightmare. He noticed that he was clutching the sheets so tight, his knuckles turned white. Easing slowly, he held on his wrist and moved his hand into circling motions, letting blood flow once more into his hand. His heartbeat had slowed into its normal pace again. Jongin had not told anyone about it, not even Minseok who he somehow considers as his closest companion.
 
  When both were up, they were told to have being summoned by their master at once. They discarded their thoughts of getting prepared for the day since their master isn't the person who is the most patient. Jongin and Minseok exchanged looks before they left their bedchamber.
 
  Once they were there, both of them were told to go out on the field once more to collect the boy. "And do not return until you have the boy. You shall know my wrath if you fail me."
 
  "The boy has two companions with him. What shall we do with them, master?"
 
  "Kill them."