Dreaming of You

Dreaming of You

          There are many ways to approach telling someone you love them. And of these various possible methods Luna chose to confront her love as one would stupidly confront a bull, head on and without some sort of shield of protection.

          She had prepared all day for it, in that aspect she unlike a stupid person confronting a bull was smart enough to think ahead. Over a course of the day she had gathered up her courage, wore her best most flattering outfit, flawlessly decorated her face with makeup, and had even bought him a balloon bouquet. Everything was perfect, nothing could possibly go wrong.

          It was with this mentality that she stepped out the door, colorful balloons in one hand her school bag in the other, and made her way to school where the man of her choice was.

          Luna's walk to school was pretty much a blank void as she recited what she planned to say to him over and over. Nothing, not even an old woman beating a clown could capture her attention because it just was down right unimportant in comparison to the thoughts running through her head. So what usually took nearly half an hours walk seemed to take just five seconds for Luna to get to campus.

          Easily as a hunting hound sniffing out a fox so too did she find him, the man she admired more than any other, Lee Jinki, often called Onew. So handsome with his face, and hair, and just everything. But it was more than that, really it was. What Luna loved most about him was how easily he smiled. A smile is something that is very telling, believe it or not. And the way Onew always smiled without hesitation all big and bright like said a lot about him. A lot of really great things. Also he was sweet. More than once he had warned Luna when she was about to run into a door when she was feeling spaced out.

          Just about everything Luna knew of him compelled her to love him. So when she finally found him and just looked at him, it felt like a wire so warm it nearly burned was being wrapped around her heart. Having already decided upon the method of being direct she walked straight up to him, he was surrounded by several friends but that didn't matter, everyone could hear how she felt. Luna didn't care who heard, so long as the Onew heard her.

          ing her hand that held the balloon bouquet toward him Luna smiled shyly despite having worked up the courage to be bold, “Hello Jinki, I like you, a lot, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble would you please go out with me and become my boyfriend?”

          The next five seconds seemed like the longest in her life time.

          She watched as his eyebrows furrowed for a moment before a wide smile grew across his face.

          “Yeah I would like to be your boyfriend,” he responded in a way that made her heart flutter at an alarming pace.

          Luna spent the rest of the day on cloud nine. Every time she would catch Onew's gaze he would smile with a twinkle in his eye, a twinkles just for her. And when school was out he asked to take her home!

          It was all so perfect she just wanted to make time stop to fully take in all the happiness she felt. But eventually the day came to an end and as she lay in her warm fluffy bed she couldn't wait for the next day to begin.

          She didn't dream, not to her knowledge and in what felt like no time at all was awake once more. Lacking her usual morning grumps Luna practically leaped out of bed. It was this unusual amount of happiness that had her missing the clothes laid out, clothes she had worn yesterday, and the fact that while she thought it was Tuesday the 7th of October it was really Monday the 6th. Had Luna noticed these subtle things then maybe this day would have ended differently.

          But as it was she was oblivious what with all the endorphins going through her brain and so she nearly forgot her school bag and practically skipped to school.

          When she set foot on campus Luna immediately spotted him, but was intercepted by one of her friends Hyoin. Said friend who dragged her in the opposite direction of Onew screeching about how late for class they were. Luna kinda wanted to hold a grudge against her friend for that but she was right, they were both running late for class.

          Speaking of class it couldn't pass fast enough. Never before had learning seemed so tedious when she had a perfect new boyfriend to be around. That probably made her kinda clingy but she couldn't help it, love makes people stupid sometimes. Eventually the class did pass, as did the next, and the next, until lunch time finally arrived.

          Only Hyoin stopped her from immediately leaving to pull her aside and ask, “Jeez what's up with you Luna? What has you acting so impatient?”

          “What else? I want to go see Onew of course!” she whined a little bit.

          Hyoin rolled her eyes and sighed, “I know you like the guy but really no need to act so desperate.”

          “I'm not acting desperate!” she protested, “I just want to see him because we're dating now and-”

          “You're dating him?!” she exclaimed interrupting in a confused manner which went right over the impatient Luna's head.

          “Of course I am, remember I confessed yesterday, you can stop teasing me,” Luna said hurriedly. “So can I go see him now?

          So focused on seeing Onew she missed the devious smile that flitted over her friends face before she let Luna go on to see her 'lover boy' as Hyoin put it.

          What happens next I have trouble writing, simply because it is painful. I can only summarize what happens next rather than lay it out for you in complete detail. This is maybe a failure on my part as a narrator, but you see reader when Luna went to go say hi to the boy she loved he barely noticed it. Until she tried to get his attention by being affectionate to which Onew acted as though they weren't dating.

          Which to be honest was the truth. They weren't dating. As it is Luna has always had dreams of such a vivid nature that it had always been hard for her to tell when she was or wasn't awake. The older she got the easier it was, knights carrying doughnut swords weren't every day wakeful things, but sometimes things just slipped through. Like this. She had dreamed of confessing to her crush as she intended to, only Luna mistook the dream for the actual event.

          And so here we are, me the terrible narrator, you the reader, and our protagonist who just realized the best thing to have happened thus far in her life in fact didn't happen and her supposed friend, who knew of her vivid life like dreams, let her believe that and go ahead and get hurt.

          Now you see why I wasn't able to write it.

          Since we have already established my lack of narrating skills lets skip past the heartbreak, betrayal, and humiliation, as well as Luna running away from the cafeteria and school to go hide in a small city park to cry. Ah yes that is the heartbreakingly perfect spot to start up once more.

          Luna had already cried away most of the initial embarrassment and pain which left her with that odd hollow feeling in your chest after a good cry. That emptiness in her chest space was oddly comforting for some reason.

          Leaning against the tree that she had been hiding behind she just tried to breathe in and out. She sat there for a long while just trying to pretend she didn't exist, that Hyoin was still a friend, and she wouldn't get scolded when she got home, and Luna wouldn't have to go back to school ever again. And it kinda worked. It worked well enough for a shiny thing in the branches above her to catch her attention.

          And that shiny thing turned out to be a balloon. Given the fact she had planned on giving Onew balloons with her confession to see that balloon caught in the limbs of a tree made her feel irrationally sad for the poor lonely looking balloon. Those thoughts led to her kicking off her shoes and jumper and climb the tree. Branch by branch she rose until she caught a hold of the string attached to the shiny floating thing.

          Her way down was less graceful than her way up as a branch snapped when she was nearly all to the ground and sent her tumbling through the air to land hard on the earth. It wasn't by far the most painful thing to happen all day, not even close, but it did make Luna's chest feel like someone had removed all air within it.

          Lying there for a moment, trying to remember what it was like to breathe she was proud of herself for not having let go of the balloon.

          Oblivious to the world she continued to stay there prostrate on the ground with a balloon whose life she had saved in one hand. Desperately she wished this all was a dream. And maybe it was, maybe she would never know what reality was. But that didn't matter because she just wanted the hurt to go away. Once more on the verge of tears she heard someone calling out to her.

          “Luna god are you alright?” asked a masculine voice that she knew by heart.

          Onew.

          Squeezing her eyes shut she wished he would just disappear so her and the balloon could remain miserable together. Only he didn't vanish or any such thing, he ran up to her and flopped down intent on checking if she had a pulse. His hands gently picking up her wrist he continued worriedly, “Why on earth were you climbing that tree?”

          Holding up her balloon she said in a monotone, “This was caught in the branches.”

          “Well was it really worth the pain of falling from a tree?” he huffed.

          Not answering the question, but yes it was because the balloon understood how she felt, Luna muttered brokenly, “Look I'm alive, so please go away.”

          He didn't. In fact he just sat there beside her, not quite letting go of her wrist which was doing terrible thing to her heart. Why was he even here? Maybe this was a dream, no nightmare, where she had to confront the humiliation from earlier and would have to do so over and over. Eventually the silence became to much and Luna, eyes still shut, spoke up in an almost aggravated tone.

          “What do you want?”

          “I, um, wanted to say I was sorry. One of your friends, Amber I think, told me that you must have done that thing where you mixed up your dreams with being awake again,” he stuttered out awkwardly.

          Luna nearly asked him how he found her when he started speaking again in a slightly stronger voice. “And she told me that I'd find you here most likely and-”

          Interrupting him, her heart hurt rather bad and his words just weren't helping at all, she breathed out, “Apology accepted and no offense but it kinda is painful to be around you right now so could you leave please?”

          Onew dropped her wrist and she took that as an okay I'll leave and waited to hear him walk always. Only he didn't.

          “I meant to say that I was just surprised by how you were acting and maybe, would you like to go out with me Luna?” Onew said softly having pretty much ignored what she said.

          Well that made Luna's eyes flutter open faster than a speeding bullet as she stared at him with slightly watery eyes. A sweet smile painted her face as she held out the balloon she'd saved earlier for him.

          “I would like that very much Jinki.”

          If this was a dream it would be okay so long as they were always about him.

A/N: So I needed to write something happy enough despite getting prompts that made me want to do angst. Hyoin is OC, I am not the best at titles, and yeah hope you liked it. It is kinda short because I am busy preparing to move.