Histrionic

Revenge is a Melody Best Served Cold

histrionic
of or concerning actors or acting

"Now, let's try building a Neopolitan chord in the key of C minor. The chord will be a major triad based on the supertonic of C minor; the second degree scale of C is D, so the supertonic will be D flat. The major triad of D flat is D flat, F, and A flat; that chord is the Neopolitan chord of C minor..."

Ga Eul reached over and pocked Yi Jeong's cheek. "Yi Jeong sunbae, wake up!" she whispered.

Yi Jeong jerked and hit his head against his own elbow. "Ow."

Ga Eul stifled a giggle. "What were you dreaming about, Sunbae? You were smiling in your sleep."

Yi Jeong only stared at her with an unreadable expression.

"...Every scale also has seven diatonic triads. These are made by stacking two generic thirds upon the base note of a scale..."

"I dreamed I wasn't in this class," Yi Jeong said finally.

Ga Eul was quick to hide her disappointment. "Ah, yes. Don't we all?"

And, coincidentally, that was right when the P.A. system kicked in.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlement, boys and girls," called the director, who'd always had a flair for dramatics. "I'd like to inform you that the school's 50th anniversary is coming up this year! Yes, that's right—it wasn't last year, it's not next year—it's THIS year! And, as such, we are allowing any student to audition for the 50th anniversary produciton! Usually, only juniors and seniors are allowed... but not this year! Well, if you'd like more information, do see Mrs. Kang for more details. Goodbye."


"Ga Eul-yang."

Ga Eul jerked up, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand. "Y-Yi Jeong sunbae?" she whispered.

Sunset light was bleeding through the glass windows of the classroom, dappling Yi Jeong's ebony hair with spots of orange and red. It reflected in his eyes, eyes that were...

"Yi Jeong sunbae?" Ga Eul asked. She felt her heart clench strangely in her chest. 

His eyes were warm and soft and gentle and staring at her with a wonderful kind of complexity that made her stomach twist and her pulse race—

What was this feeling?

Did she like it?

"Ga Eul-yang," Yi Jeong whispered. His fingers gently touched her hair, accidentally brushing her cheeks. She felt her face flood with color.

"Y-Yi Jeong sunbae! Are—are you ill? We should go to the nurse—hang on, I'll fetch the nurse—why don't you stay here, I can leave—"

In one fluid motion, Yi Jeong tilted her neck up, swooped down, and placed his lips softly on hers.

"Ya! Ga Eul! Get up!"

Ga Eul jerked up, heart pounding, hands sweating. She felt the top of her head hit something hard very, very fast.

"Ow!"

She'd accidentally knocked Jan Di to the ground.

"S-sorry, Jan Di-ah!" Ga Eul yelped, rushing to help Jan Di up. She took in her surrounding: Her and Jan Di's dorm, littered with books and music and spare strings and different kinds of cleaning cloths and wood and chrome polishers. There was no sign of Yi Jeong nor sunset-lit classroom. 

She felt strangely disappointed.

Disappointed? Why?

"Ga Eul! Have you heard about the musical?" Jan Di said, jerking Ga Eul out of her thoughts. "It's open to everyone! Since we're freshmen, we can participate!"

"Are you gonna try out?" Ga Eul asked.

"Yes." Jan Di's eyes narrowed. "I'm going to become the main actress!"

"Main actress?" Ga Eul cried.

"Yes! Then that lousy Jun Pyo Gu from the special class will finally have to acknowledge my talent!"

"Jan Di-ah... Won't you have to compete against the seniors?" Ga Eul asked timidly.

"Ha! Seniors? Who cares about them?" Jan Di waved her hand dismissively. "They think that just 'cause they're old they're guaranteed to get the top positions. I, Jan Di Geum, am here to prove them wrong!" She leapt to her feet. "You should try out too, Ga Eul! It'd be awesome if we were in it together!"

"But I—I'm not good at acting..."

"Try anyway!" Jan Di grabbed her wrist. "Here. You can play piano, right? Let's go to one of the practice rooms. I need to work on my singing."

And Jan Di proceeded to pull Ga Eul into the nearest practice room. Although Ga Eul protested the whole way, a time would come when she would be thankful for that.

It was how she would meet Pabo.


(A/N: There's a good reason! Really! So first I was helping out at a summer camp, and then I got myself involved in this super long film project (It's going to be like 10-15 episodes and each episode will be around 20-30 minutes each)! Still... It came out eventually, right? :D Anyways, please leave a comment below! It only takes a second.)