Before (Dati)

Before (Dati)

Here I am in our old hometown. How long has it been since I’ve been here? Ah, that’s right. It’s been 15 years since I left this town. I parked my car at the parking space at the park. I enter the public park’s entrance and went to the playground. There are plenty children playing with each but a couple of kids caught my attention. They are fighting over a console which I presume is a Nintendo DS. I smiled at the scene. They are just like the two of us when we were young.

Flashback:

“Yah, Taetae, it’s my turn already. You’ve been playing for 15 minutes already”

“But I still need to finish this Boss Monster”

“But it’s my turn already!” You tackled me to the ground. Because of that, I dropped the console and got broken. I look at in horror.

“M-my console” Tears started to fall from my eyes.

“I-I didn’t mean to, Taetae”

“Wah!!!” I sat down and started wailing and so do you. We only stopped when both our mothers approached us. My mother told me that my console wasn’t broken instead it just turned off. That night, we both apologize to each other.

Flashback Ends

I chuckled at the memory. I look back at the direction of the two children but they are not there anymore.

I guess they decided to play at another place

I decided to leave the playground and walked towards other place in the park. When I reached the pond area, I saw the two kids again. The taller girl has her eyes covered with her hands while the other one is running around.

I guess they’re playing hide and seek.

The other girl saw me and ran towards me. She hid behind me.

“Unnie, when that girl ask you where I am, tell her, I hid somewhere else”

“Isn’t that cheating?”

“No, it’s not, unnie. This is strategy” I chuckled.

This girl reminds me so much of my younger self.

The taller girl finished counting and started searching for her friend. Not long, she caught staring at her. She walked towards me and stopped in front of me.

“Unnie”

“Hmm?”

 “You do know that it is not right to meddle into others business, right?”

“I know that and I said that to her”

“Reveal yourself now, Yoona unnie. I know you’re behind this unnie”

“Aw, you’re no fun, unnie. I told you not to tell her”

“But I didn’t. She discovered it herself” I defended myself.

“Still, you’re no fun” I chuckled.

“Better luck next time, kid”

“Ah, what time is it, Yoona unnie?”

“I don’t know. My watch is not with me.” The little girl looked at me and asked.

“Unnie, what time is it?” I look at my watch and saw that it is already 2 in the afternoon.

“2 o’ clock pm.”

“What? I need to go home now so that I can wake up at 4:30. Come on, Yoona unnie” They hurriedly run.

“Hey, wait up” They stopped running and looked at me. “I’ll drive the two you at your houses”

“Can we trust you?” The girl who hid behind me made a step forward from the taller girl as if she’s protecting her.

“Of course, the two of you can” They looked at each other then the taller girl said.

“Okay, we’ll trust you.” I smiled to them.

“Come on, my car’s at the parking lot”

We went to my car and I let them inside. I started the engine and drive out of the park.

“Say, where does the two of you live?”

“I live somewhere very near here” The kid with the doe eyes told me

“Somewhere very near? Could it be that you live at Blue Street?”

“How did you know?”

“I live here at this town when I was young”

“Really? Then, you’re also from the Blue Street?” I nodded. “Cool” She grinned.

“Okay, here we are”

“Thank you, unnie. See you tomorrow, Hyunnie” She went out of the car and ran towards her house

“What about you, little girl? Where do you live?”

“I live at Pink Street”

“Pink Street?” She nodded. “Why do you ask, unnie? Don’t you know where it is?”

“Of course, I know where it is”

Why wouldn’t I know where it is? That’s the street where she lives

I started driving towards the Pink Street. As I drive, memories of the past flash to my mind like a movie.

“We’re here, unnie” I stopped the car and help the girl to get out of the car. I look at her house.

No way. This kid lives at her house

“Say little girl, can I accompany you inside? I’m a little thirsty”

“Sure ,unnie. Let’s Go” We stopped in front of door. The little girl knocked and shouted. “Unnie, I’m here!” It didn’t take long before the door open.

“At last, you’re here. It is already you nap – “ The girl who opened the door is the girl that I haven’t seen for 15 years already. Though it’s been so long since I’ve since her, I won’t forget her face.

-time”

“I know, unnie. Tiffany unnie, this unnie, drove me and Yoona unnie, home”

“Really? Thank you” She thanked me but she’s not looking at me.

“Unnie, she’s thirsty.”

“I’ll attend to her. Go to your room now and take your nap” Before the girl went to her room, she turn to me and thanked me.

“Okay, Tiffany unnie. Umm, thank you…”

“Taeyeon” I said.

“Thank you, Taeyeon unnie” I smiled to her.

“Don’t mention it.” She ran towards her room.

“Please, have a sit. I’ll go get you a glass of water” She went to the kitchen while I sat at the sofa. My eyes observe the surroundings.

The interior design has been completely changed. The atmosphere also changed.

I close my eyes and reminisce the time when we always play here at this living room. We used to play royalties here, at this place.

Flashback:

“I’m the princess of this castle”

“If you’re a princess then I won’t become a king”

“You want to be a king?” I nodded “You’re a girl. You can’t be a king”

“Is that so? Ah, if you’re a princess then I’m a knight. A knight can be a girl right?”

“Of course” I smiled widely

“I am your knight in shining armor that will rescue always”

“Are you implying that I always get in trouble or danger?”

“It’s not like that, Fany”

“Yes, it is. You’re implying it.”

“Fany ah, I told you it is not like that”

“Hmph”

“Fany ah”

Flashback Ends

I spend the whole time pleading you that what you’re thinking at that time is wrong.

“Here’s your water” Tiffany’s voice brought me back to reality and she handed me a glass of water. She was about to go back to the kitchen but I stopped her.

“I didn’t know that you had a little sister”

“She’s not my sister. She’s my cousin. She always comes here during semester breaks and summers. She likes to spend it here because her best friend is here”

“I guess that best friend is Yoona”

“Yes and I presume that you already that she lives at Blue Street because you drove her home”

“Yes”

“And knowing you, you didn’t take a single glance outside when she went out of the car. You never like looking outside when it is not your final destination”

“Yes”

“She lives at your old house” I looked at Tiffany. Her face doesn’t show any emotions.

“Really? It’s just like they are us when we were young” I looked down.

“No, they’re not” I looked at Tiffany again. I saw disappointment in her eyes. “There bond is way stronger thank us. They have been doing this for almost 5 years. For children in their age, age 10, there is very strong”

“So was ours, Tiffany!” I stood up and walk towards her.

“No, our bond is not that strong. I used to believe that it was but I was wrong. I realized that it is not strong when you left me”

“It’s not my choice to leave you. If I had the courage back then to say to my parents that I don’t want to move house, I would but Tiffany, I was a child.”

“But you could have told me that you’re going away for good and not promised me that you will be back during summers!” I saw tears ran down her beautiful face. She ran upstairs. I followed her but she slammed the door before I could get inside her room.

“Tiffany, open the door, please!”

“You’re Taetae” I looked at my side and saw Seohyun still drowsy.

“I’m sorry. Did I wake you up?” I kneel down to her height.

“If I say yes, will you answer my question?”

“Of course, what’s your question?”

“Are you Taetae?” I nodded. “Why did you leave, Tiffany unnie?”

*sigh*

“I don’t have a choice. My family needed to move.”

“Why did you promise her that you will be back during summers?”

“She told you about our story, huh?”

“She told it to me so that I will learn from it” I chuckled sadly.

“I did that because I didn’t want her to breakdown.”

“But Tiffany unnie’s strong. She won’t breakdown”

“I know your cousin. She will breakdown.” She shook her head.

“No, she won’t. Though I’m still young, I can already know if a person is acting strong or that person is really strong and she’s the strongest person I’ve ever known.”

Seohyun’s statement struck me. If that is really true then I’m just being a coward back then. I look down and close my eyes.

Looking back at the times that we spend with each other back then, she may be a cry baby but she really is a strong person - A strong and stubborn person.

“Unnie?”

“Seohyun”

“Hmm”

“Thank you” I look and smiled.

“For what, unnie?”

“For making me realize my mistake”

“Huh? I did?” I nodded. “Now, now, go back to your room already. It is still 2:40”

I stood up and knock at Tiffany’s door while Seohyun went back to her room.

“Tiffany, I’m sorry that I lied and gave you false hope. I made that promise because I wanted to make myself believe that I can do it. I don’t want to be completely torn away from you. Ever since before, you’re already the most important person to me. I know that it is already too late for me to explain and apologize but Tiffany, please give me another chance. I want; I want to make up the broken bond between us. Let me be your knight once again. Let me be the person who will protect you and make you happy just like before”

There is no response from the other side of the door.

“I will stop by your house everyday just to hear your response. I will take my leave now”

I went downstairs. And when I was to open the front door, I heard footsteps and suddenly, two arms wrapped around my waist.

“Don’t leave. Don’t walk away just like what you did 15 years ago.”

“Tiffany”

“I don’t want things to be like before. I want start new with you”

“What do you mean?”

“You will no longer be my knight and I will no longer be a princess”

“Huh?”

BGM <--- (click for Background Music)


“I will become a QUEEN and you will become MY KING” I removed Tiffany’s hand from my waist and turn around. The moment I turn around, warm and soft lips was place on mine. At first I was surprise but I responded quickly. When oxygen became necessary, we broke the kiss. We lean our foreheads together and look at each other.

“I love you, Tiffany”

“I love you too, Taeyeon”