Letting Go

If I Let You Go
Baekhyun and Kimin had the perfect relationship. Or atleast, to Kimin it was. 
 
They started dating two years ago, back when Kimin was at the peak of her popularity among the student body. She ran as vice president of the student council and she was also the president of the literature club. Kimin was not only known for that, she was talked about because of her good looks and her good personality which most girls envied. 
 
Baekhyun was a loser back then. 
 
He was a pushover. A lot of people loved playing tricks with him because he looked and acted like a nerd. Not only that, he hang out with just the number one loser in school who is Park Chanyeol--the other fat guy who owned a ferret. 
 
Yes, discrimination happened in the school so often that the teachers didn't care about it anymore.
 
But Kimin fell in love with him. The school's princess fell in love with the ugly peasant. 
 
And a lot of people wondered why. 
 
-
 
"Baekhyun, you didn't have to-" 
 
"He was a ing ert. Didn't you see him try to peek below your skirt?" 
 
"He wasn't! God, Baekhyun, Suho's your friend."
 
Kimin sighed as she treated Baekhyun's wounds. His face was a mess, but Suho wasn't any better. Suho got a broken nose when Baekhyun hit him after he apparently tried to peek on Kimin. It was far from the truth, he just picked up Kimin's pen which fell on the floor. He just got the wrong timing. 
 
Baekhyun was stubborn and overly possessive. That was what Kimin's friends hated. He wasn't like this before, and Kimin was still too blinded by love to admit to it. 
 
Sensing Kimin's anger, Baekhyun peeked at her and tried to act cute.
 
"You've done that so many times. Mr. Byun." 
 
"Aing~ aren't you going to forgive Baekhyunnie? He's really sorry for what he's done."
 
"Nope." Kimin said as she crossed her arms over her chest though Baekhyun noticed that her expression softened.
 
"B-but..." Baekhyun tried his best to act like he was going to cry and he knew he was going to win when the door suddenly opened. 
 
"My gosh, Byun Baekhyun, how old do you think you are?" Chanyeol said as he sat beside Baekhyun. Kimin chuckled as she watched how Baekhyun's expression fell. "You still do that, huh? Pfft. Back when you were still fat, I had to give you Kimin's number just so you could do aegyo." 
 
Baekhyun glared at him as Kimin started laughing. "Whatever, you've told that story a million times." 
 
"What are you going to do about Suho hyung though?" Chanyeol's tone suddenly got serious. This was the first time a fight broke out among the group and
it made the four other boys awkward, specially since Baekhyun beat up the kind-hearted leader. 
 
"It's his fault." Baekhyun frowned.
 
"Baekhyun." Kimin gave him a hard stare and he stood up. 
 
"Get mad at me or whatever. I'm not forgiving him."
 
Chanyeol and Kimin exchanged glances as they watched Baekhyun exit the room. 
 
Nothing was going to stop him.
 
-
 
"WHAT?" Kimin tried to calm her best friend down after she told her what happened. Minjae looked so infuriated that she felt scared for Baekhyun. But she knew that Minjae was going to react like that, no one was to Minjae's boyfriend. No one. "Where is that son of a bi-" 
 
"Lee Minjae, calm down. People are staring. Think about your image as president." Minjae huffed as she thought about what Kimin said, but her frown wasn't going to disappear soon. "Ok, good. I'm sorry. I'm apologizing in behalf of Baekhyun." 
 
"God, Joon's hurt and he didn't even tell me, my poor baby," Minjae sobbed dramatically and Kimin laughed at her. "That . I swear if he gets near me I'm going to kill him." 
 
"He didn't mean it," Kimin said as they finally started eating their lunch. The cafeteria was filled with students, it was noisy and it added to Minjae's annoyance. Kimin could tell. 
 
"I've been telling this to you a million times and I know that you won't listen, even if I repeat it now. Baekhyun's changed," Minjae muttered the last part so quietly that Kimin almost didn't hear it. "I used to like him because... well, he was adorable. But now that he changed physically, he also changed inside. But I can't deny that he still loves you just the same."
 
"That's what matters." Kimin said. Minjae stared at her before rolling her eyes. Of course. 
 
"Let's finish quickly. I want to see my baby." 
 
-
 
"So what happened?" Kimin asked as she cuddled with Baekhyun on the couch as they watched some variety show. Her parents had left them to buy some groceries and Baekhyun was more than happy when they left. Kimin heard that everything was resolved between him and Suho, which was a huge relief. 
 
"Well, he said sorry." Baekhyun stated, his eyes never leaving the television. Kimin pulled away and glared at him and he burst out laughing. "I'm just kidding. I did what you said I should do, I apologized." 
 
"Good, that's why I love you, you listen well." Kimin said as she leaned in and pecked him on the lips, but Baekhyun was fast and he deepened the kiss as he held her chin. They pulled away to catch their breath and Kimin couldn't look him in the eye. 
 
"I love you too." Baekhyun said as he pulled her close and she snuggled his chest. "I love you the best." 
 
-
 
They started drifting apart half-way to the semester of the senior year, their fourth year together. Kimin didn't know why it was happening, and she felt terrified. 
 
Their phone calls started getting shorter, and Baekhyun seemed to be so busy at school to spend time with her. 
 
Everything she spent so much effort to build up was slowly starting to crumble down.
 
And all she could do was watch.
 
-
 
"Kimin, Suho's going to study in the US for college," Minjae called her up one Saturday during their winter break. She was crying and Kimin barely understood her. Suddenly, she remembered her own boyfriend who hasn't call her for a week, he didn't even drop by her house and even her parents noticed it. "What am I going to do? I can't let him go." 
 
"Ssh, calm down, Min." Kimin muttered, not really knowing what to say because she had her own problems that were piling up as well. "Everything's gonna go well, you love him, right?" 
 
"I love him alot." Minjae replied. "But it hurts..." I'm hurting as well. Kimin wanted to say. There was a pause before Minjae spoke again, this time, she sounded better. "Sorry for bothering you, Kimin. But Suho's downstairs, I need to go." 
 
Kimin hummed in reply before she hang up. She stared at her phone and contemplated on calling Baekhyun. He was #1 on her speed dial and she was so tempted to call him but she didn't know what say. 
 
'Please call me.' She bit her lip as she typed her message before sending it to his number. 
 
Thirty minutes passed. 
 
He didn't even send a reply.
 
-
 
School's back after the winter vacation and Kimin already didn't know where she stood with Baekhyun. 
 
He was already blatanly ignoring her. He didn't return her smiles when she looks at him, he doesn't even greet her. Kimin doesn't know what to do, she doesn't want to confront him. 
 
"That son of a ..." Kimin looked at her best friend in surprise as Minjae grabbed her wrists and dragged her somewhere. They ended up by the staircase and it was empty since class was going to start in a minute. "Have you heard or seen it already?" 
 
"Seen what?" Kimin asked her in confusion.
 
Minjae rubbed her temple in frustration before she sighed. "Baekhyun... he's been cheating on you." 
 
A second passed by, then it turned into a minute. Kimin's face was unreadable. 
 
"Did you hear me? I said-" 
 
"Yes... yes, I heard you clearly." Kimin said quietly. Although she was not showing it, inside, she was already breaking down. Her suspicions were finally confirmed. "To be honest, we haven't talked to each other since the winter break started." 
 
"What?!" Minjae's eyes widened. "God... you're so stupid, Kimin! You're much much worse than him." She muttered, she knew her words hurt but what could she do? "You should've listened to me. You should've broken up with him long ago. That bastard, he ing used you." 
 
Minjae stopped when she saw the tears that finally came flowing from Kimin's eyes. 
 
Kimin smiled gently at her as she wiped her tears quickly. 
 
"Why are you still holding on?" Minjae asked as she grabbed her friend's hand and squeezed it. 
 
Kimin sighed as she squeezed her hand back. 
 
"Because I love him." 
 
--
 
She knows it was stupid, but she decided to confront Baekhyun on graduation day, it took her that long to build up some confidence. Kimin watched Minjae as she took pictures with Suho at the side after the program. 
 
Her eyes fell on Baekhyun who was walking around. She took a deep breathe as she approached her, when he noticed her, his eyes widened and Kimin knew he was already thinking of an excuse to run away.
 
"Byun Baekhyun, can we talk?" She asked quietly. "You know, before we all separate. We might not see each other again so why not say good bye properly? Can we talk at the rooftop?" 
 
"Uh... sure." 
 
-
 
"Aren't you mad at me?" Baekhyun was the first to speak as they sat at the edge of the rooftop, watching the students and parents below who were celebrating their last day in high school. Kimin glanced at him. "I'm sorry for what I did. But trust me, when I said I love you, I meant it." 
 
"I know," Kimin smiled at him. "I'm proud of you, really. I'm glad that you're not bullied anymore. That you've proved yourself to everyone. I saw that potential in you, you know. That's why I liked you. You're special." 
 
"Not really. I'm a jerk." 
 
"I guess it's my fault." Kimin muttered. "I never move on from the past, that's why I always get left behind. I wanted to see you shine, Baekhyun." She felt tears pricking her eyes but she tried her best to fight it from flowing. "I wanted to prove to everyone what you had, that's why I didn't prevent you from changing." 
 
"I'm sorry." 
 
A minute passed quietly and Kimin stood up, Baekhyun followed her but stopped when she turned around. A genuine smile was on her face and Baekhyun couldn't look her in the yee. 
 
"I love you, Baekhyun. That's not going to change." 
 
Her words had a huge impact on him and he wanted to pull her to a hug to apologize. He reached his hand out but she stepped back. 
 
"Good bye, Baekhyun." 

Ehehe.