The Wolfe Brothers

Full Moon Mate

 

People had always told Jinki he didn't look a thing like his parents. Well, they'd obviously never seen his mom on a full moon... not that they would have thought it was his mother anymore. You see, generations ago, their family had been cursed. The first born of every family in their lineage would go through a rather... interesting change every full lunar cycle. It differed from person to person, but Jinki had been changing since his sixteenth birthday. He knew of at least two other people from his mom's side that did as well, and so far, no one had figured out a way to break the curse.

Not that it really mattered. Jinki honestly didn't mind, and besides, it was only once a month. However, he was finding it rather difficult lately to even find a place in the woods to transform comfortably... he just always felt like he was being watched now. Visibly shivering, he continued his thoughts.

It was his mother's side that was cursed, his father still having no idea what would happen to his wife and son every full moon, so Jinki and his mother were forced to sneak out on that one night every month. They never changed next to each other, Jinki just finding it too strange, but every morning they'd meet up again and head back home, as if nothing had happened, saying they'd gone out early for bread or some other ridiculous lie. Just like they were doing this morning.

As worried as he had been that he'd be found out this month for some reason, he met back up with his mother with no real complications, her tossing him some sweet bread, but as he was about to put the whole thing in his mouth, starving as he was, he locked eyes with one of the neighbor boys. Minho. What was he doing out so early? Still, he waved, but the other boy lifted his lips in a snarl before turning and slamming into his own house.

Jinki grimaced, but decided it was just best to ignore him. Minho scared the out of him anyway, though the girls of the village had quite a different opinion about him. He and his brother had gone through almost every girl at least twice.

"Oh my gosh, why is it so hot this morning..." Gwiboon grumbled, stumbling up to stand beside Jinki and his mother. He looked down to the girl beside him who looked like she'd been hit by a bus.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"What? Nothing, why?" She asked, avoiding eye contact and self consciously fluffing her hair and repositioning her skirts. Jinki raised his eyebrows, but once again, decided not to worry about it. This village was just turning stranger and stranger, but he could live with strange.

An arm s around Jinki's shoulders, a face coming up briefly to his neck to inhale deeply, before the shorter boy next to him said, "Morning Jinki, you smell great today, as always."

"Jonghyun," Gwiboon snarled. "Shouldn't you be, oh, I don't know, out tipping cows or tupping girls or some other stupid thing to ruin the peace in this village?

Jonghyun ignored her, instead asking, "What brings you three out and about so early?"

Gwiboon answered first, surprisingly. "We're all going out for some early shopping, Jinki's just here for our company." Once again, he looked down at his best friend in surprise. Obviously, she had something to hide this morning as well, but his mom jumped at the chance.

"Oh yes! It's just something us girls do once in a while. Jinki is so nice to come along with us, poor dear hates waking up this early."

Jinki grunted, but inwardly groaned. All he wanted to do was go home and sleep, but apparently they actually were going to go shopping now. Great. Still, when the two women at his sides all but pulled him into a ribbon shop, he didn't complain, he rather liked this sort of stuff, though he'd never admit it. Running his fingers over a silver one, the silk sliding through his fingers, he jumped when Gwiboon poked her fingers into his ribs.

"And what were you doing out all night, huh?" She whispered into his ear, Jinki having to bend over to let her do so.

"I could ask the same thing of you," he replied, dropping the silk ribbon as if it burned, but Gwiboon's eyes never missed a thing.

"A girl? You were out with a girl? And here I thought you swung the other way."

"No I wasn't out with a girl, and why would you assume that?"

"Well, you've never even tried to hit on me," she scoffed. "If it's for a girl, get pink."

"I was just looking, it's not for anyone..." he grumbled, buying the silver one when he thought no one was looking as well as a pink laced one. He kept needing to buy something to tie his hair back on full moons anyway.

On the way home, Gwiboon once again jabbed her fingers into his ribs. An annoying habit of hers. "Come over to my house tonight. I'll show you why I was out, then you can tell me who you bought that ribbon for... but you should have gone with pink," she added, flouncing off back to her house.

"She is such a nice girl," his mother smiled beside him. Gwiboon and 'nice' were not two words he himself would put together in a sentence, but he shrugged and nodded anyway. "Who did you buy the ribbon for?" his mother asked, curious. "Her? I approve."

"Um... no... you know..."

His mother's eyes lost their spark. "Oh, yes, of course. How silly of me. You could have just borrowed one of mine... well, let's get home. I'll tell dad you're sick so you can sleep all day, okay?" Jinki nodded, squeezing his mother's hand briefly before walking through the front door and heading straight to his room.

Flopping down, he briefly held the silver ribbon up, looking at the way the light shone off it, before stuffing it under his pillow and doing his best to fall asleep, yet every time he closed his eyes, gold ones stared back at him in his mind, making him restless.








______________________________








He woke with a start, sweat covering his entire body. He tried to recall what he had been dreaming about, but the harder he thought, the more it slipped out of his reach. Oh well. Looking out the window, he gauged that it was roughly around midnight. Midnight? Wasn't he supposed to do something tonight?...

"Jinki!" An angry whisper from his window. Ah right, Gwiboon. Sitting up, he moaned, grabbing his head gingerly. He always got headaches the night after a transformation.

"You sure we can't do this another day?" he whispered back, his eyes scanning the room, the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end.

"Get your out here now, Lee Jinki, before I beat you!"

"Alright, alright..." Looking around the room once more, he got up and hopped out the window. As soon as he landed next to Gwiboon, she scrunched her nose up.

"You smell. Night terrors again?" Jinki nodded. "Good, you can test out my new potion."

Jinki groaned, "Not another potion. Those things taste terrible and usually have the worst side effects..."

"Quit your whining or I won't tell you what I found out last night." He sighed, but nodded, following her back to her house, helping her through her window before climbing in himself. Turning back to shut it, his heart stopped, his hands freezing. "Jinki, what is your problem?" Gwiboon asked, coming over to see for herself. "Ah, Jonghyun. He's been following us a lot lately," she said, scowling, sticking her tongue out at the boy leaning against a nearby wall before grabbing Jinki's face and pulling him down for a kiss, a hand crudely flipping Jonghyun off behind his back before using it to shut the window on the boy who was now laughing his head off outside.

Pulling back, Jinki wiped his mouth off with his forearm. "What the hell was that for?"

"Trust me, it's better if he thinks you're taken."

"I thought you had the hots for him. Playing hard to get?"

"Not anymore. I'm not playing with either of the Wolfe brothers from here on out."

"And here I thought you liked their wild personalities."

"Well, yeah, when I thought they were human." When Jinki merely stared blankly at her, she ushered him over to her sink, filling it with water. When the basin was nearly full, she shut the water off, mumbled a few choice words, then all but shoved Jinki's face into the water. "Look, this is from last night."

Jinki stared into the water inches from his face, intrigued when it swirled into an actual image. "Is this from your memories?"

"Just shut up and watch." It was an aerial view, like someone was watching from the trees. The vision was blurry at first, and the colors were confusing, but eventually Jinki made out Minho and Jonghyun.

"Don't get near him," Minho growled.

"Why? You can't deny he smells perfect."

"If you even think about turning him, I'll kill you."

"Sounds like a challenge," Jonghyun smirked, but then his form was growing, changing, until eventually what stood on two legs looked more like a wolf than a human, but twice as big. The creature jumped Minho, tackling him to the ground, but when Jinki was sure Minho would be devoured, he too, turned into one of the strange animals, the two beings attacking each other until they both eventually loped off in opposite directions.


"What... the was that..."

"Lykae, Jinki. Werewolves. You'd think they would have been more original with their last name though."

"I guess it makes sense.. but who were they talking about?" Jinki questioned.

"Beats me, but you don't seem that shocked."

"Well, you're a witch, and I'm... this village just isn't very normal, is all... So you were up in a tree all night?"

"That's what you're concerned about? My gosh, Jinki. No, Princess here was. The damn cat just wouldn't come back down after what she saw and I had to go up and get her. Most useless familiar I've ever encountered..." she grumbled, the cat absently. "So now the secrets out on the brothers, no doubt their father is one, as well. Who knows, they might not even be a family at all, maybe they're just a pack. But werewolves are boring compared to what you've been up to! So tell me, who's the girl?"

"I'm serious, I'm not seeing anyone."

"Well if the ribbon was for me, then I told you I wanted pink, so don't even bother giving it to me," she huffed, holding out her hand anyway. Jinki rolled his eyes, grabbing the pink one out of his pocket and putting it into her outstretched hands. "Oooo, super cute. You actually listened to me, but that still doesn't  explain who the silver one was for."

"Who says I bought that one?"

"Please. Just who is it for? Is there something you're not telling me? Why do I even ask, of course there is!" When Jinki stayed quiet, she tried a different approach. "So if the ribbon isn't for a girl, who is it for?"

"Well, technically... it is for a girl..."

"Ahah! I knew it! Spill, who is it? Not that Taeyeon, is it?"

"I thought you and her were friends."

"Yeah, until she stole Woohyun away from me with one of my own love spells! But I'll steal him back. So who?"

"Um, I've never really tried this before, but I guess I can see if it's possible what with the full moon being last night..." he sighed. Closing his eyes, he concentrated on the part of him in his mind that lay dormant except for that one night a month, pulling at it as if it were wrapped in spider webs. He wasn't entirely sure this would work, but when he heard Key gasp, he figured it was.

Opening his eyes, he looked into the mirror above the sink. Yep, it had worked.  Female eyes the exact shade of his own stared back at him. When he looked back at Key, he mumbled, "So, I guess the ribbon was for me. This hair always gets tangled up if I don't pull it back," he explained, motioning to the waist length hair.

"Jinki... how long has this been happening to you?"

"Since I was 16," he shrugged. "My mom changes too, except into a male. It's a curse."

"Well, yeah, I can see that, but I don't really deal in dark magic... but I'll start trying to come up with a cure."

"Thank you for not, you know, freaking out about this," he said, motioning to his new form.

"You turning into a girl is a lot safer than werewolves roaming the streets, although I don't want you anywhere near Woohyun in this form, got it?" Jinki nodded, not wanting anyone to see him like this anyway. "Besides, me being a witch doesn't freak you out, so why should I care if you grow s once a month?" though he thought he heard her mumble 'that are bigger than mine'.

She continued. "Although... are you sure Minho doesn't know?"

"There's no way he knows... why?"

"This just brings to mind the first month they moved here, Minho would ask me constantly if you didn't have a twin sister locked away somewhere..."

Well that was news to Jinki. He didn't really think he looked much like himself at all in female form, except for the eyes...

"Makes you wonder..." Gwiboon added, but quickly regained her enthusiasm. "Well, since we have you like this, mind as well play dress up! I always wanted a sister!"

Jinki groaned.








___________________________







What felt like hours later, Jinki was back to his normal self and on his way home, tucking Gwiboon in before leaving. As crazy as she was, she was like a sister to him, and he loved her dearly. She was truly his only friend in the village since they'd moved here all those years ago. Maybe she had always known he was different, she was a witch, after all, but she'd never treated him as such. Not like Gwiboon had many friends either, being open about her powers. They were everything to each other, so when Jinki saw Jonghyun still out and about much too close to her house, he pounced.

Grabbing Jonghyun by the collar, he tried to be as intimidating as possible. "I'm sick of you always following Gwiboon around, you stay away from her."

"So Gwiboon and you are a thing, huh? Not like that changes much. You've got nothing to worry about, witches don't interest us. We can't change them."

"Then why..."

"I'm much more interested in you," the shorter boy smirked, his eyes glowing in the near full moonlight. "Hey, Jinki, want to see a trick?"

Before Jinki could even reply, however, he was being shoved back, landing hard on his in the dirt. Minho now stood between him and Jonghyun, a feral growl somehow coming from his human throat.

"Go. Home. Now." Minho said barely above a whisper, not looking back at Jinki, but he still nodded frantically, scrambling up onto his feet and running home, all but jumping into the window and slamming the wooden coverings closed. Would wood really keep a werewolf away? Not likely, but he still felt a little better...

Pacing in his room until he finally saw the first light of day, he sighed in relief. Not like they would attack him in broad daylight... right? Warily laying down, he reached his hand under his pillow... only to find the ribbon was gone. Searching around for a while, he mentally shrugged, deciding to look for it later. He'd probably just been moving a lot in his sleep when he was having that nightmare earlier and it fell somewhere.

Still... why does my pillow smell like forest... was the last thing that ran through his head until eventually passing out.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

A/N: Here is part one of three! I've never written Key as a girl before, but it's pretty fun lol Was Jinki turning into a girl surprising or not so much (though the tags should give it away xD)? Did you think he was a werewolf at first? Speaking of wolves, Jonghyun's a bit of a wild child in this. I'm still not entirely sure what he's got planned. But that's what I love about writing and not planning stuff in advance, it's like I'm reading the story for the very first time along with you guys! Hope you like the idea so far! <3 I would love to hear from you all!