Final

Do You?
A beautiful texture, a pleasant appearance. Those two could be the point when you choose any drink or food. One might agree about it while the other might not. Choice is on your hand, as known.
Swiftly, a pair of hands moved, pouring something from a glass to a cup. The owner of the hands, a tall good looking guy, glanced to a small post-it note near him as he continued to mix another combinations of liquid. A man walked there and put another batch of post-it notes on the counter. He looked at the guy while shaking his head.

“Use it wisely, Sungyeol-ah”, he tossed a bottle of chocolate syrup to the said guy. Sungyeol caught it, a playful smirk rose on his lips. “A tea spoon of it is wise already, right, Kyungjae hyung?

Kyungjae laughed heartily at his dongsaeng’s respond. They had been working in that cafe together since last year, long enough for him to regard Sungyeol as his own brother. He knew Sungyeol was a serious person, especially when he’s working, but he could be witty at times.

“That noona hasn’t come to see you yet?”, Kyungjae raised his brow. Sungyeol hit his back lightly and continued his activity. “Shush. There’s no reason for her to see me. Go back to your place,hyung.”

He shook his head once again and went back to the cashier. New customers was standing there already, both of them are women. The bob-haired one bent down to see the cake display.

“Welcome! What would you like to order?” , Kyungjae greeted them.

She pointed at the strawberry cheesecake iside the display, “I want this one and vanilla latte,please.” He nodded and input the order.
Another woman was still observing the menu, her face was full with confusion.  She whispered to the bob-haired woman, “Boyoungie, I don’t know what to order. Everything seems nice..”

Kyungjae smiled when he accidentally heard that. “I recommend you to try the milk tea. It’s one of the favourite drink here”, he said.

“Just try what he recommends, Maeri-ya”, Boyoung said while nudging her friend. Maeri smiled awkwardly to Kyungjae as she pointed at the menu, “I’ll try honey milk tea.”

After Kyungjae finished inputting the order, he invited them to take a seat and brought the order note to the counter. Sungyeol was experimenting a new drink there. He noticed his hyung coming and wore his apron back. “What’s the order?”, he asked. Kyungjae put the note on Sungyeol’s forehead, “One is what you really enjoy to make.”

“Aah.. Honey milk tea. You must have recommended this right?”, he guessed. Kyungjae waved his hand as a sign of denial. “I only recommended her milk tea. She chose it herself. Go make it now before they wait for too long.”

Sungyeol started making those order. He did the vanilla latte first as it was quite easy to make and moved to the milk tea. It has been so long since somebody order honey milk tea. Not to mention it wasn’t popular but people preferred classic milk tea or caramel milk tea more. He hummed a song as he poured the tea inside a glass. Walking out of the counter, he delivered the drinks to the respective customers.

“Excuse me, here’s your order. Vanilla latte?”, he asked. Boyoung raised her hand a little and got startled seeing Sungyeol. He then put the milk tea in front of Maeri who was reading her novel. She stopped and thanked Sungyeol quickly. “I hope you enjoy the drink. Have a nice time here”, he smiled and walked away.

Boyoung kept looking at Sungyeol. “Ya! Maeri! Yun Maeri!”, she whispered. Maeri gave her an annoyed look because she felt disturbed. “Waeyo?”
“The waiter is handsome. Don’t you think so?”, she grinned. Maeri tilted her head and took a sip of the milk tea. “Uwah!”, she suddenly exclaimed. Boyoung’s eyes got widened as she thought it was Maeri’s reaction to what she asked about. “It is so good! Try it!”, she pushed her glass to Boyoung.

“Eh?”, Boyoung looked at the glass. “C’mon, try it. It’s really good !”, Maeri smiled widely. This girl really loved sweet things and this milk tea would definitely made into her favourite list. Boyoung tasted a bit then pushed the glass back to her.

“Nothing’s special.. Aigoo, you really didn’t catch what I mean”, she pouted.

“This is the best milk tea I’ve ever tasted since I was born. Only one people could make one distinct taste, Kwon Boyoung”, Maeri said with her philosopical expression.

Taking another sip of her drink, Maeri shrugged and went back into her reading routine.  Boyoung took a long sigh, shaking her head repeatedly, thinking a hundred times why she could befriend Maeri.

***

It was another day where both of Boyoung and Maeri had a free time to relax a bit from their university life. They were sitting in the same cafe, the same corner table which had become their favourite spot. Boyoung said that it’s a strategic place where she could comfortably look at Sungyeol without everybody noticing her.

“Boyoungie, what are you going to order?”, Maeri asked, putting her handbag on the couch. Boyoung didn’t respond at first, she was focusing on Sungyeol’s movement. Maeri swang her hand in front of Boyoung’s face. “Hey!”, she hissed.

“Vanilla latte, as usual”, Boyoung said shortly. Maeri rolled her eyes and dragged her feet to the counter. She looked left and right, wondering where the cashier was.

“Could I help you?” Instead of Kyungjae, Sungyeol went there to serve her. She felt nervous all of a sudden. She didn’t feel like that because Sungyeol was handsome – it was another factor though- it’s just because she wasn’t used to talking to boys. Her friends were almost girls except her tutor friend and the ahjussi at the minimarket if they could be counted as well.

“Err, I want to order vanilla latte and umm..”, she paused a bit.

“Honey milk tea?”, Sungyeol added.  Maeri mumbled a ‘yes’ while lowering her head, she didn’t have the gut to stare straightly into his eyes. She quickly rushed back to her seat, there Boyoung was ready to bombard her with many questions.

“What did he say to you? What’s he doing there?”, she leaned toward Maeri ,trying to hide their conversation.

Maeri raised her brow. “Of course, he’s serving the customer. He only asked me what I wanted to order.”

Boyoung still put her investigating face. She grabbed the novel Maeri was reading, “Are you sure that was all he said?” Maeri stepped on her shoes and arrested her beloved novel in just a second. “I am sure enough. Don’t ever try to take my novel again”, she warned her.

“Haah..”, Boyoung sighed.  She didn’t know if she had aged so much that she kept sighing all the time.  She unlocked her phone , typing something there and put it back to her pocket. Yun Maeri, why are you so insensitive?

Sungyeol came to serve their drinks later.  He glanced at Maeri with a sincere smile on his face. “This is your order, vanilla latte and honey milk tea”, he turned to see Boyoung who was giving him a signal.  As a reply, He jerked his head a bit. “Thank you”, she said in a loud tone so Maeri would raise her head.  Fortunately, Maeri did.

“Ah, t-thank you”, she stuttered.  Sungyeol chuckled and put a package on the table. Maeri stupefied for a long time until she realized , he didn’t give the same package to Boyoung.

“What’s this?”

“It’s a bonus. Thank you for keep ordering honey milk tea”, he said then disappeared back to the kitchen.  Maeri was left there with her jaw dropped.  Boyoung smiled in satisfaction seeing that.

“Woah, I’m envy to you! I hope he gave it one for me too”, she faked a nag. Maeri put the package onto Boyoung’s hand. “Take it then”, she said emotionlessly.

Boyoung facepalmed herself mentally. If she was allowed, she would just reveal everything there, shouting loudly in the middle of the cafe.

“No, no. It’s for you, so you take it. Seems like it’s a muffin”, she changed the topic immediately.

“Hm? Muffin?”, Maeri’s voice tone raised. Muffin is one of her favourite food, Boyoung knew that well.

“Yes, yes, eat it while it’s still warm. I want to go to the restroom first,ok?”, she said in no juncture. Maeri opened the package carefully , she didn’t want to break the texture of the muffin. Inside of it, was a piece of chocolate muffin and small paper.

“Why is there a paper ?”,she mumbled in curiosity. She opened the folding to read what’s written there.


You don’t know how happy I was to hear you say “Only one people could make one distinct taste”.
Nobody has ever appreciated what I’ve made like that.
You might not notice all this time, since the first time you came here until you have become a regular customer. 
I always lay my eyes on you.
Would you feel happy too if I say “Only you could make me feel this one fluttering feeling” ?



Maeri statued at her place. Her eyes kept observing the writing, making sure that’s what she really saw. She gathered her courage and turned to look at Sungyeol. He was standing there, behind the counter, smiling warmly. He then approached Maeri and sat at Boyoung’s place.

“I love you.”

***
 
“Excuse me, Sungyeol-ssi”, Boyoung called Sungyeol. Sungyeol gave her a questioning look. “I’m sorry if I’m too blunt ,but I know you always stare at my friend, Maeri”, she said, stabbing Sungyeol right at heart.

“Err, well, that’s right. Could I ask for your help?”, he said awkwardly while scratching the back of his head.
Appearance may only leave a temporary impression but taste stays at heart. That’s what I believe.