Final.

Last Train Home.

Last Train Home.
  - - shifeng.  

The train station was deserted. Only the faint sound of the station’s clock ticking could be heard, along with the screeching sound caused by friction between the trains and tracks. The light flickered overhead a lone figure, who sat with his face buried in his palms. A bell chimed, signalling an approaching train. The teen boy who had been working part-time behind the ticketing counter after school for the past few weeks looked up, his eyebrows furrowing as he watched the still figure.

“You ain’t boarding that train, mate?” he called out, eyes training the figure’s lone back. As he did a few times before, the figure raised an arm. No. The boy tilted his head in curiosity but decided to leave the male be, turning back to his homework on the table before him.

The figure sighed at the sound of the train door closing. His hands tugged slightly at his dark locks. He was well aware of the time. Aware of the fact that midnight was approaching. Aware of the fact that he would have to leave the station before that. But something strong held him frozen in place, not daring a step into any of the trains that would bring him on his way home.

Guilt.

It was chewing at him, gnawing violently since the day he left. His heart wrenched and his chest tightened, tears prickling at his eyes. He wiped the tears away quickly, not allowing a single drop to leave his eyes. He did not have the right to cry. Not after what he did. The image of an angel flashed across his mind, prompting anger to boil up inside him. Against himself.

She was such a pure and sweet girl. The perfect lover any man could ask for. She was the definition of perfection. With long black hair and bright doe eyes to match her tall and slender frame, she could make any male swoon. And yet, he let her down. He could remember the look on her face when he had been cuffed and dragged away. The sorrow in her eyes as she reached out to him. Despair painted across her face as his name left her lips in a desperate cry. She clearly deserved better.

Their child deserved better.

Yes, they have a child. After being married for six months, the couple were blessed with a baby boy, a carbon copy of his father. He was the apple of their eyes and still is. The father and son bond between them was extremely tight and their personalities were exactly the same, sometimes his wife felt like she was looking after two children. His lips curved up into a bitter smile at the memories.

Why was life so unfair?

He had been framed. Betrayed. Not just by any old friend, but his best friend. Hatred and anger were the only emotions that came to him at that thought. The younger had tricked him and his gang, almost causing them to be killed by their rival gang that had recruited the younger. Why he had betrayed him and joined the rival gang, he would never know. Not that he could ask any way. His “best friend” was dead. Why do you think he landed up in jail for? A different bell chimed this time, prompting him to look up at the clock.

11:55p.m.

He ran one hand through his black locks then slowly got up, deciding that he would man up and go home. Walking to the ticketing counter, he fished out a few crumpled bills from his pocket and dropped them in front of the boy. The teen looked up, startled by his sudden appearance.

“You catching the last train, mate?” The male nodded, earning a small smile from the boy as he handed him his ticket.  “Good choice. I’m sure she’ll forgive you. She loves you, right?”

The male stared at the boy with wide eyes. How did he know? The boy turned back to his homework, not taking any notice of the questioning look from the male. The sounds of doors opening made him turn on his heels, hurrying to catch the train. He sat down, noting that there was no one in the carriage except him. Shrugging, he sank down in his seat and began to lose himself in his thoughts once more, eventually drifted off into a deep slumber.

Police sirens echoed around the warehouse.He looked up in horror as EXO-K fled the scene, leaving a bleeding Sehun in his arms. They had abandoned the youngest member without hesitance, angering him greatly. How could they make him betray his best friend then just drop him like this? The younger male smiled at him, blood trickling out of his mouth and down his chin.

"I'm sorry, hyung." His eyes fell close and and his whole body became limp. Tears formed in his eyes but he bit down on his lip to control himself. He leaned his head against the younger's and mumbled a soft apology before getting up. Leaving the male's body behind him, he stood up and walked out of the warehouse, arms in the air, surrendering himself to the authorities. Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see his wife and son along with his gang's leader, Kris, standing a distance away. A smile made its way onto his lips, knowing that his family was safe. When he had received the call from EXO-K, he wanted to rip out all their throats for kidnapping his wife and son. They were both innocent. He looked forward once more, solemnly accepting his fate to rot in a jail cell. However, a sudden movement caught his eye. His wife was being held back by two police officers while Kris was soothing his son who looked like he was about to cry. His eyes met with his wife's and she reached a hand out towards him, tears cascading down her cheeks.

"LUHAN!"

The male jerked awake, making the female before him jump in surprise. She was wearing the station staff uniform, with her hair up in a neat bun. She blushed as he started at her, shyly looking down. 

"This is the last stop, Sir." He looked up at the station's name for confirmation. He had reached his destination. He got up and walked out of the train, not sparing the swooning female a second glance.

 


 

He took hesitant steps towards the door. As he got nearer, he could hear the laughter and lively chatter coming from inside the house. He smiled, glad to know that s had been looking after his family while he was imprisoned. As he reached the front door, he sighed.

Would his wife forgive him?

Would she hate him?

Would his son despise him?

Was he a horrible father?

Unknowingly, his raised hand had pressed the doorbell. Shuffling of footsteps followed by a few murmurs came from behind the door.

Luhan froze as the door clicked and slowly opened.

His eyes went wide as a familiar childish voice filled his ears.

"DADDY!!"