Storm

Storm - Xander

With your shift just about over you finished taking care of your tables before you went into the back to get your things.

"Are you heading off?" Your coworker, Jenny, asked.

"Yeah my shift ended and I am going to go home." You changed out from your high heels to your flip flops as you let down your hair from the tight bun. Just then a rumble from outside shook the restaurant as Jenny looked at you.

"You better go home before the storm hits." She advised as you nodded, checking out quickly you began to walk down the street as it started to lightly sprinkle. Holding your bag up above your head, the rain got heavier as you let the bag fall to your side as the rain pounded against your head. Lighting and thunder crashed as you jumped at the sound; the rain got heavier as you could barely see in front of you. Your feet sloshed against the sidewalk as it filled with water as you quickened your pace, squinting your eyes to try and see.

Running under an awning you saw others scurrying to find cover. Shivering with the wet and cold clothes, your lips shivered as you walked into the warm lobby. Big letters welcomed you as you discovered that you were in the building of Xander, one of your friends from high school. Water dripped from your clothes and from your hair as you wondered if you should go up. Not seeing each other for a couple years made you nervous about what he would say. The racking of your legs as you saw his room number made you change your mind as you walked up the stairs to his floor. Your shaking hands knocked on his door as your clothes clung to your skin. The door opened as you kept your eyes to the ground.

"Yes?" Xander’s voice was so sweet after all of these years.

"Xander… I… well…" You looked up at him as his eyes got wide.

”________? What are you doing so wet and cold?” Xander said with utter concern for you.

"It’s raining outside." You said shyly as you pointed out his windows as he giggled and flashed that beautiful smile of his.

"Come in, let me take care of you so you don’t get a cold." He pulled you inside as you slid off your shoes and hung your soaked back as he held your wrist gently as he took you into his bedroom. You stood by the end of his bed as he rifled through his closet to find some clothes for you. Getting a good sense of what clothes size you were, he handed you a short graphic t shirt and some sweats as he handed them to you.

"Please warm yourself up in the shower and I will make us some nice Ramen for when you come out." He smiled at you as he left, closing the door behind him.

Stripping yourself of your wet clothes you set them on a towel on his bed as you went and showered. His soap and everything was there and smelled so heavenly as you began to lightly sing.

Xander came into his room to pick up your wet clothes to wash and dry them when he heard your singing. His heart beat faster as he smiled brightly, taking your clothes, he headed out and washed them before you changed into his. Combing out your hair, you rolled up the sleeves on the large shirt and on one leg of the sweats.

The sweet and inviting smell of noodles lead you out to the living room as two warm bowls sat on the coffee table as Xander sat on one side waiting for you. Shuffling over to the other side of the table, you sat down on the floor as he just smiled at you. Taking your chopsticks into your hand you served you some noodles as he followed you.

"Thank you for the food, the shower, and everything." You said as you waited for the noodles to cool a bit before you ate them.

"No problem, I am glad that you remembered me." He said as the flashbacks of you never ceased since you arrived.

"Of course I remembered you. You were my partner for the year. Of course you had to get me every single time." You both giggled reminiscing of the old times.

"When you used to take naps during class and then I gave you my notes to copy." Xander added as you laughed along with him.

"Then when you had to present your project you came over to my house and you tried on several outfits to see which one suited you better." You both became a little more serious.

"But I got a great grade on that, thanks to you." Xander said as you both finished up the pot of noddles. "Quick question."

"Sure." You leaned against your arms as you looked at him with curiosity.

"Are you still afraid of thunder?" Xander asked as he looked at you, your eyes moved around as your heart pounded as you heard another rumble coming from outside. Nodding your head slowly he gave you a confidant smile. "Well I am glad you aren’t alone tonight then." He picked up all of the dishes and headed into the kitchen.

"Xander, I think I should really get going." You said as you followed him.

"Why? The storm is getting worse." He looked at you concerned as to why you would ever want to do that.

"I don’t want to impose, I mean, we are just friends-" He cut you off as you fiddled with your fingers

"Friends, take care of each other. Please stay here tonight." He pleaded as he turned to you, "Just for tonight."

"Ok, but just for tonight." You confirmed as he brightened.

"Go choose a movie and I will be right over." Xander put the bowls into the dishwasher as you filed through his movies and found one that you haven’t seen  in ages. He walked over as you showed him the movie, he put it in as it began to play, he wrapped you and him in the same blanket as you watched intently with the flashing of the lightning outside.

You shuttered into his shoulder as the thunder rolled. His hand gently found yours and held it firmly, snuggling closer to him throughout the movie, you felt more and more safe as the storm seemed to get worse.

The movie finished its story as the credits rolled.

"Thanks for picking that movie, I haven’t seen it since he held our last movie party." Xander said as you nodded against his shoulder. "I thought you could sleep in my bed tonight and I could have the couch."

"No! I couldn’t impose on you like that, I already have done that enough. I will take the couch and you can have your bed." You said as you sat up.

"I will get you some pillows and blankets then." He let go of your hand and walked into his room to grab his spare pillow and blankets as you were already laid down on the couch. Handing you the pillow you set it under your head as he spread the blankets on top of you.

"Goodnight." Xander said as he turned off the light in the room and headed to bed as well.

"Goodnight, thank you." You said as you nodded off to sleep.

The cracking of thunder woke you as the lightning lit up the place like it was mid-day, clutching the extra blankets between your arms you wished that the thunder would go away. One after another, the thunder and lighting hit the sky and shook the ground as you couldn’t take it anymore and ran to the bedroom where you covered yourself against his body.

Xander stirred from the new movement on his bed as he turned around and found you trying to burrow into his back. Wrapping his arms around you, he felt your fast breathing as you clutched to his shirt.

”________ it’s ok, Don’t worry, the storm will pass.” His kind words cut through the sound of the storm as you looked up at him with wet and fearful eyes.

"S-sorry." You pulled away from his grasp before another crash of thunder causing you to go right back into his chest.

"I don’t mind, you can sleep with me then." He pulled his covers over you as he rubbed your back gently.

Pressing your ear to his heart, you heart a rumbling but a different kind, this one seemed to be smoother and kinder, more welcoming then the rumbling that was outside. The sound of his constant heart lulled you to sleep as he wrapped his arms securely around you. Letting himself fall asleep to your breathing as all of his dreams were coming true.