They Can't Take That Away From Me

They Can't Take That Away From Me

Luhan inhaled deeply, pressing his face into Chanyeol’s shoulder as they swayed to the jazz band they had hired for this occasion. The familiar smell of Chanyeol’s citrus scent filled his nose as he fondly remembered their argument over whether they had Luhan’s jazz band or Chanyeol’s DJ. That particular confrontation had ended in a pillow fight; that Luhan had won. He sniggered into Chanyeol’s shoulder, causing the taller man to lean back and seek out Luhan’s face. “What?” Chanyeol queried, a quizzical smile on his face. Luhan smiled smugly, “I told you the jazz band would be best.” Luhan watched Chanyeol’s dazzling smile dance across his face as he chuckled loudly. “Ah~ of course, you were right. As always.” He leaned down and pecked his husband’s lips in an adoring fashion, causing Luhan’s stomach to do a cute little flip. Chanyeol sighed as his lips moved to rest on Luhan’s forehead, his hand fixed to the smaller man’s back as the thumb on his other hand traced Luhan’s palm contentedly. So this is what bliss felt like.

 

Their wedding had been perfect; the ceremony, simple and sweet. Tears had been shed by both grooms; Chanyeol’s fell as he declared his love for Luhan, his voice slightly cracking as he did so; Luhan’s tears of happiness as they had walked down the aisle past a sea of beaming faces. The love Luhan had felt at seeing all those faces made him grip his husband’s hand ever tighter, his lips spread into a dainty smile as his eyes brimmed over. The reception had been filled with laughs and a few more tears. Xiumin had delivered a best man’s speech on behalf of both of the grooms; his speech provoking blushes from the pair and rip roaring laughs from the room. Luhan recalled seeing that glint in Xiumin’s eye as he glanced down at his speech and knew that something truly embarrassing was about to spill from the tiny man’s wicked lips. Jumping up from his chair, Luhan had ran over to Xiumin (who had foreseen this turn of events and was already running away from the blonde man) and chased him around the room, finally successful delivering his flying kick to Xiumin’s round little . Chanyeol had fallen off his seat laughing, clutching his sides as he rolled on the floor. Bending down to help him up, Luhan had murmured lovingly into his ear,

 

“Come on, get up my Reaction King.”

 

 Xiumin rounded off his speech with a sincere and loving tone. “To Chanyeol and Luhan. Now and forever”.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes had never strayed from Luhan’s as he repeated the words that solidified their commitment. Now as he danced with Chanyeol, Luhan truly believed it. He was married. Married to the most amazing guy in the world. The man who used citrus shampoo. The man who scrunched his nose up at the most random times. The man who loved him and whom he loved back, with all his heart.

 

 As they swayed harmoniously to the smooth sounds that Kris coaxed from his sax, the song made its way to an end. The couples dancing on the floor reluctantly parted and applauded the band as they all bowed. Before they started up again, Chanyeol saw a grinning Kyungsoo, Chen and Baekhyun bound upon the slightly raised stage. He slightly nudged Luhan, whose head had returned to being buried in Chanyeol’s shoulder. Raising his head, Luhan frowned in confusion as he saw his three friends standing on stage, each holding a microphone.

 

“Ladies and gentleman, let’s give it up for the band! Yeah!!”

 

He paused as the room clapped appreciatively. “Now-“ Chen was interrupted by Kyungsoo who ushered forward Kris and the trumpet player, Kai who was frantically shaking his head and blushing. “And may I also introduce Kai and Kris who are personal friends of the grooms. They are performing for one night only as a special favour, so let’s hear it for them.”

 

Luhan heard whoops of encouragement echo around the room amidst the clapping, most prominently from the back where Grandpa Suho was situated. Luhan had seen Grandpappy Suho down several sherries earlier that evening and was convinced that he was plastered. Looking round, Luhan saw the old man unsteadily standing up and pointing at Kai, making the come hither motion with a dirty grin on his face. Kai’s eyes widened in fear as he moved to stand behind Kyungsoo who was not paying attention to the old man’s advances, instead bathing in the attention the audience was giving his boyfriend. Luhan frantically looked around for someone to subdue the old man; his face relaxing as he saw Xiumin steadying Suho by putting the elderly man’s arm over his shoulder. Luhan watched as Suho’s arm ‘accidentally’ slipped off his best friends shoulder and ‘accidentally’ cupped Xiumin’s firmly. Xiumin sighed and lifted the wandering arm back to his shoulder and guided Suho out of the room, shooting Luhan a look that clearly said “You owe me.” Luhan silently mouthed ‘Thank you’ at the kindly man and returned his gaze to the stage.

 

“Now,” Chen continued. “I hate to interrupt this wonderful band, but Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and I wanted to do something a little special for our friends on this happy occasion.” Baekhyun stepped forward, grinning cheekily. “Now we had many ideas on what we could do; we could perform a dance routine! But Chen and Kyungsoo were…shall we say, adverse to the idea of ridiculing themselves in public.” Kyungsoo smiled graciously at this jibe while Chen good-naturedly bobbed his head. “But then we thought- aha! We can perform a comedy routine and tell a few jokes- alas, after hearing the pathetic jokes we came up with, we decided not to.” Kyungsoo waved an arm at Baekyun as he interrupted, “The real reason was that Baekhyun’s jokes were too dirty, and we didn’t want to corrupt the innocent.” Kyungsoo flashed a -eating grin at his friend who raised a fist at Kyungsoo with a mock-threatening look on his face. As the room laughed gently at the witty repartee between the young men, Chen cleared his throat and began to speak in a sincere tone. “But, all jokes aside, we wanted to do something special so that this day would be remembered forever. We’ve all seen Luhan and Chanyeol grow to become this solid adoring couple and we feel that they’re all an example for us to look up to.” Even through his burgeoning tears, Luhan saw Kyungsoo squeeze Kai’s hand slightly and felt a huge rush of adoration for his friend. “And that is why we’re choosing to sing a song for them. Feel free to come and dance along with them.” The three men were smiling at the couple. “Luhan, Chanyeol. This is for you.” The three took their places on stage and waited for the band to strike up.

 

As soon as Luhan heard the familiar brass sounds, he turned to Chanyeol with a gasp, his eyes wide. “It’s our SONG!!” Chanyeol's mouth was in a wide ‘O’ as he stared back at Luhan. “But how did they know?” Both turning to gawp at the singers, they were met by three wide smiles; one of which began to sing the lyrics that the happy couple had once sung to each other…

 

The couple had been in Luhan’s kitchen preparing food for their upcoming dinner party that evening. They were both busy preparing their dishes, occasionally weaving between each other when they needed things from opposite sides of the kitchen. A comfortable silence ensued between them, only interrupted by Luhan’s iPod that was on shuffle. As Luhan chopped some vegetables and Chanyeol stirred some sauce, a lively jazz song came on shuffle and Luhan absentmindedly sang along to the catchy song. The way you wear your hat.” He sang quietly, not minding if Chanyeol heard him. “The way you sip your tea.”

 

“The memory of all thaaaat.” Luhan froze as he heard Chanyeol’s delicious baritone sing the next line of the song, dragging out the last word in a rehearsed manner. He knows this song?? He turned around to face his partner as Chanyeol finished the verse perfectly. “No, no. They can’t take that away from me.” Looking in awe at the giant, Luhan slowly made his way across the kitchen and folded his arms around Chanyeol’s waist; Chanyeol turned his head to beam at Luhan who was rising on tiptoes to sing the next line of the song to him. “The way your smile just beams.” Chanyeol’s smile became shy as he turned round to face Luhan, leaning against the kitchen counter. He pinched Luhan’s cheeks and sang teasingly “The way you sing off-key.” Luhan showed a mock expression of shock and anger, stepping away from Chanyeol who simply pulled Luhan’s wrist and held him close to his chest, while singing “The way you haunt my dreams.” Luhan leaned his head back on Chanyeol’s chest, taking a deep breath before he joined Chanyeol in singing “No, no they can’t take that away from me.”

 

Chanyeol spun the red haired boy around, bringing Luhan’s hand to up to his chest. Luhan could feel Chanyeol’s heart fluttering as he stared intently into Luhan’s eyes. They simply stared at each other and Luhan raised his hand to cup Chanyeol’s cheek as they swayed slightly to the next verse.

 

We may never, never meet again
On the bumpy road to love.
But I'll always, always keep 
The memory of…”

 

Luhan found himself singing the next line while staring into those deep brown eyes, the personal context behind the words causing Chanyeol’s eyes to crease with quiet laughter. “The way you hold your knife.” Luhan constantly teased Chanyeol about his peculiar eating stance; the way he held his knife in his left hand. Chanyeol grasped Luhan around the waist and danced him around the kitchen while belting out “The way we danced till three” causing Luhan to chuckle appreciatively. Chanyeol looked sincerely down at Luhan as they both sang harmoniously “The way you changed my life.” Luhan looked at Chanyeol’s beautiful smiling face and welled up as he thought about how true the last part was. He kissed Chanyeol passionately, moving his lips to Chanyeol’s ear as he whispered “I mean it, you’ve really changed my life.” Chanyeol nuzzled into Luhan’s neck as he whispered back “And you have made mine better.”

 

A year later, here they were dancing to that very same song, surrounded by their loved ones. It all seemed too good to be true. The happy couple were dancing joyously. Chanyeol looked around at one point and saw several other couples. He smirked when he noticed Tao and Sehun pulling several overly flashy moves on the dance floor. Sehun had the grace to look slightly abashed whereas Tao was hugely into the dance, fully embracing his “jazzy” side. Luhan on the other hand was startled when he heard his name being screeched across the dance floor. “LUHAN!” He looked around frantically and saw Suho being spun around the floor by Lay, Luhan’s college friend. “LOOK I GOT WITH DIMPLE BOY, LOOK LUHAN.” Luhan stifled his laughter by burying his head in Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol jovially gave Suho a thumbs up and mouthed “Score” at the drunken man, who winked dirtily at Chanyeol. Ever the sweetheart, Lay smiled kindly at the old man while re-positioning Suho’s wandering hands from his to his waist. Wiping tears of laughter from his eyes, Luhan looked up at Chanyeol as the last verse of the song was being sung gloriously by the three men. His shining eyes caused Chanyeol’s chest to fill up with warmth as he looked down at his husband. Nothing could ever replace this perfect moment. Nothing could ever take anything away from this perfect moment. Luhan sighed happily, a small smile playing on his lips. Chanyeol was finally his. And nothing would ever take him away.

 


No, they can't take that away from me.

//

The End

*cries because did I really just post this I can't believe I just posted this omfg no*