LEFTOVERS

EXO Short Stories

Characters:      Do Kyung Soo

                        Park Hye Rin

A/N: Those that are in GRAY TEXT is Kyungsoo’s thoughts.

            “Don’t you realize the shame that you brought to the family?” Kyungsoo’s mother impatiently rummaged her hair as a sign of disappointment.

            “And you lost against a woman, AGAIN? I can’t believe this!” She added. Kyungsoo just stood there with disappointment. His heart clench every time his mom would give him insulting words. It made him realize what a big pain in the he is for his family. His family is labeled as the best cooks in Asia especially in South Korea. That is why they are expecting Kyungsoo to be one. He was trained by his mom and dad to cook the best and only the best. At first he was just forced to do cooking but as time passed, he too has loved it. It already became his passion to cook. He would always win in every competition and he is trying his best not to cling on his labeled last name and make a name of his own.

It was almost 5 years or so since he started entering competitions and he was only defeated twice. First when he was 18 and now. He looked at his hands while his father and mother blabbered inside the room. ‘What’s happening to you?’ he asked himself. His hands were trembling and tears slowly formed in the side of his eyes. He closed his eyes with great pain in the chest and his hands slowly formed a knuckle. He perfectly knows the reason why this is happening. He was heartbroken. A girl he thought who loved him left him days before the competition and it distracted him as hell. Kyungsoo’s parents were also aware of his love life and they also blamed it. They forbid him to fall in love this time because of his defeat. And Kyungsoo also approved to the idea. He thought that maybe it would make him a better cook if there’ll be no distractions what-so-ever *they just easily come and go*

The three hour scolding session has finally come into a halt. Kyungsoo weakly walked his way to his bedroom and let his body fall lifelessly on his bed. It was really a tiring day for him. He was physically, mentally and emotionally drained. Not just long enough, he fell asleep with ease.

***

He woke up by the heat of the sunlight that touched his skin. He realized that another day is again ahead of him. Another day to prove himself. Another day to clean his bad records. He closed his eyes again and took a couple of deep breaths. He was determined to end the day with something. He hurriedly hopped out of bed and took his shower.

“Your food is ready, sir” one of the maids said as she leans for a bow. But Kyungsoo shook his head and asked the driver to bring out his car.”  He drives himself to one of their not-so-popular restaurants which he likes to go if another competition is coming. Just the perfect place to test his new dishes. He headed to south of Seoul, It was a pretty 45 minute trip from home. When he reached his destination, he let his workers have a day off so that he can have the kitchen alone. The kitchen was huge and perfectly cleaned. It was well maintained since Kyungsoo loved this place so much. He opened the closets and a smile lightly formed in his face as he found that it was filled with all spices and fresh components.  He started to cook something to eat for breakfast, spicy chicken, braised beef, and short-beef rib soup. He cooked it like the way he usually do, measurements are the same so is the procedures. The only thing that is different is that, he’s not cooking by the heart. What do you expect? He was heartbroken. He sat in front of his personally cooked dishes. He must admit it looks good but when he started eating it, he was disappointed. The look doesn’t reciprocate the taste. It tasted horrible, all three dishes. Depression came crawling his veins again. He throwed his chopsticks across the table and walk out to think a little more. He closed the door of the restaurant and headed to the beachside to think a little more. A soul-seeking walk would be fine.

***

It was almost 2 hours since he was out. In an unhurried pace, he walked his way in the restaurant. He’s eyes grew wide open when he found out that it was open. He forgot to label the door closed. He nervously peeked in one of the windows. There he saw someone sitting on one of the tables. ‘What the heck is he doing?’ he asked himself. He collected all his guts to fight and took a couple of deep breaths. He was about to open the door to attack the intruder but he suddenly stopped.

“hmmm, so yummy!” he heard a girl whispered. The intruder is a female and she was eating Kyungsoo’s leftovers? A light smile slowly formed in his lips, he was happy from what the girl said. She’s admiring the food that he hardly ate. So, he decided to calm himself and approached the hungry intruder ‘since she’s a female, I think she won’t harm me’ and without any more adieus he pushed the door open. The girl suddenly stopped her munching and automatically jolted out her chair. She turned her head to face door and started to get nervous when he saw a man slowly approaching him. Kyungsoo noticed that his action caused his intruder visitor to stumble down in fear.

“d-don’t worry, I’m not gonna harm you. I swear!” he said as he slowly approached the lying girl on the floor trying to comfort her. She sends him questionable stares and Kyungsoo perfectly knows what this stares means. He slowly plastered a smile on his face to lighten her tension. HE reached his hands but she just stared at his hand. She refused to take his hand and stood up by herself. Kyungsoo was slightly entertained by her actions. There was silence when she stood up in a stiff manner.

“Are you okay? I’m Kyungsoo by the way…. Owner of this restaurant” after he introduced himself. Her eyes became widely open and looked at him straight in his eyes sending an ‘are-you-serious’ look. He just chuckled. She suddenly bowed 90 degrees “I-I’m s-sorry. I-I’m really sorry for entering here and eating your food without your permission, sir” he can hint a bit of shyness and a lot of nervousness in her voice. He was a bit fascinated by her act. “Kyungsoo, n-not sir” he corrected her and sent his lovely heart-shaped smile.

Minutes have passed and she is still eating the food that Kyungsoo left. He can see how she is enjoying her food. She ate like she never ate for days. He was very much mesmerized by the view. ‘It’s been a while since someone admired my dishes’ and he likes the feeling of someone is happily eating it. “Ah! This is really good” she said after she ate the last cut of beef. Kyungsoo looked at the plates and found himself jaw-dropped. The plates are all clean; she left not even a piece of rice grain. She stood up from her seat and bowed to him “Thank you very much” she said. “You’re really a good cook” she added.  Kyungsoo felt flattered from all her nice compliments that make him want her to stay a little longer. “Would you like to stay for dinner? ---” his intention was to know her name since she didn’t introduce herself earlier. “Hye Rin” she said and her eyes turned bright together with her smile. ‘Hye Rin? Sounds familiar’

***

            Two months had passed since Kyungsoo met her. He would always invite her to the restaurant almost like every day. She would sometimes refuse because she thinks that she is becoming the cause of the restaurant bankrupting. Because ever since he met her, the restaurant has become closed. Kyungsoo turned it from a restaurant to a kitchen where they would test his new dishes. He’s cooking also became light for him, he became inspired. Kyungsoo liked what she had turned him to be. But the bad thing is that, His parents didn’t know that he secretly closed a branch for personal use.’ Maybe they won’t mind… we still have hundreds of other branches out there’ and so he decided not to tell her anyways.  Every time they would eat, they had become close to each other and shared some facts between them. He now knows that she was an orphan by the age of 3. Her parents died in a car crash and she was left in an orphanage. Ever since then, she has moved from one place to another to find her luck.  It made Kyungsoo more protective against her. He feels like he has the responsibility to take care of her. As time pass, he felt the same thing that he felt when he fell in love. He is starting to like her and it was badly falling for her.

“Can you come here tomorrow evening? I have something important to tell you” Kyungsoo told her as she left the restaurant.

***

            Kyungsoo prepared a lot of food since he knows that she’s an eater and he likes it very much. 80% of the dishes are original and it was inspired by her. As the time he arranged the table, the door slowly opened. He hurriedly tidied himself and placed a smile on his face. When Hye Rin saw the Kyungsoo standing beside the table full of foods, her eyes turned round with shock.

“What’s the occasion? Is it you birthday? I’m sorry, I didn’t know…” she explained as she made her way to Kyungsoo with apologizing eyes. He was entertained by the way she acted but he explained the whole thingy and proceeded to eat. As usual, she ate a lot and admired the foods a lot. And Kyungsoo very much liked it. The meal has ended very well with laughter and joy as they talked about their own personal lives.  Kyungsoo suddenly hold her hand across the table and she was in shock.

“Hye Rin-ah, I know that it was just a month since we met but----“ he said and turned his head to face her lovely eyes “Can you be my girlfriend?” Her face turned very red and a smile ran through her face. He is trying to read her but he was too nervous to even bother. Then she slightly nodded as tears slowly formed in the side of her eyes still smiling. Kyungsoo can’t believe his eyes that she actually said yes. Because of his excitement, he stood up and ran across the table to hug her.  ‘Finally, we’re in a relationship’

“Thank you for the dinner Kyungsoo-ah” she said as she hugged him outside the restaurant’s door. “Thank you for everything” she added. Kyungsoo just smiled and hugged her tighter in his arms. She pulled herself away” I must leave, good night” and pecked her lips against his cheeks. He felt his cheeks burn up in a bright red and so is her girlfriend. She then waved her hand and said goodbye. He stood there for a couple of minutes to let all the events sink in to him when suddenly….

“Is she the reason why you closed this branch without our permission?” Kyungsoo turned around and saw his parents standing outside their car. Suddenly, guards popped out from nowhere and dragged him inside their car. Unfortunately, Hye Rin saw what happened.

***

“Who is she? Don’t tell me…”

“Yes umma, She is my girlfriend” Kyungsoo cut her mother. “And I have no intentions of leaving her” he added. She closed her eyes in disgust. Kyungsoo can feel the tension inside the car.

“I thought we talked about this” Kyungsoo’s father said in a low, deep voice. No words came out Kyungsoo’s mouth and it sent a clear message to them.

“Well then, I’m sorry to say but, it’s the end of you two”

These conversation scared Kyungsoo. He was scared that you might not reach their standards; he was scared of losing her. He found himself locked up on his room.

“Hey! Open this up! Open this door!” He shouted as he banged the door by his hands.

 

***

“Who do you think you are? You’re a nobody!” Kyungsoo’s mother shouted as Hye Rin stood their innocently. She had followed Kyungsoo when she saw him being dragged forcefully into the car.

“You don’t deserve my son… You don’t deserve to be a part of this family…. I believe you can’t even cook.” She was humiliated and tears slowly formed in her eyes. These words perfectly sent her to hell. She can feel that Kyungsoo’s parents are a perfectionist. She was scared if she can’t reach their standards.

“P-please let me p-prove m-myself w-worth it for your son” she pleaded and kneeled on the floor. Then, tears uncontrollably flowed down her cheeks.

“Well then….cook a dish for us” Kyungsoo’s mother said coldly to her.

Hye Rin found herself inside the Do mansion’s kitchen. It was huge and complete of all kitchen equipment. She can’t help herself look around and admire every angle.

“I’ll give you two hours” Kyungsoo’s mother said before leaving the kitchen. Hye Rin got nervous not knowing what to cook.

***

Two hours had past and the Do family has gathered in the dining room. Kyungsoo was looking around with his fluffy eyes trying to formulate what is happening around him. Suddenly, a dish was carried out from the kitchen by Hye Rin. Kyungsoo’s eyes popped wide open when he saw her. He was about to jump out the chair when “If I were you, I won’t do that” Kyungsoo’s father said in a cold, icy voice. Hye Rin then placed her dish in the table and bowed. She stepped back a couple of steps and stood still. Kyungsoo couldn’t take his eyes away from her. He was scared about the whole situation. She closed her eyes when the sound of stainless chopsticks started. Kyungsoo’s parents started eating her dish. ‘Please…please find it good’ Kyungsoo pleaded in his thoughts. He then saw his parent’s eyebrows knitted. ’oh no…this is bad’ His parents then looked at each other sending messages only they can understand. And turned their head to face Hye Rin.

“I-I m-must say… i-its good” Kyungsoo’s father stuttered refusing to complement the food he is eating. He felt like he is accepting his defeat. Kyungsoo was shock by the words that came out his father’s mouth. It was a rare thing for him to say, even to Kyungsoo. He hurriedly took a piece and ate it. He can’t believe how delicious it was. He never knew she can cook, especially this good. She shoots her eyes open when she heard them. She just sent them a bright smile.

“Who are you?” he asked. She smiled at them and bowed.

“I’m Hye Rin… Park Hye Rin” She introduced herself.  Kyungsoo’s parents froze when they heard her name…

PARK HYE RIN… The one who won over their son in the first place.

 

 

Here is D.O for you!