Come And Rest Your Bones With Me

Soft Breath, Beating Heart

The early morning sun woke you up, making you squint as you tried to open your eyes. It took you a few seconds to realize you weren’t in your bed, but on the couch in your living room. As you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes you attempted to stand up and walk to your bedroom but tripped over something on the floor. You landed on your with a soft thud, now fully awake. Your eyes burned with irritation as you looked at what had made you fall and gave you such a rude awakening. Your annoyance immediately faded when you realized it was only your boyfriend.

He was sleeping peacefully on the floor by the couch barely disturbed by the minor commotion moments earlier. You smiled to yourself as you lied next to him, propping yourself up on your elbow to get a better look at him. He looked so calm and serene, almost angelic; all you could do was smile. Slowly, so as not to wake him up, you gently brushed his hair out of his eyes. You sighed quietly and tenderly placed your hand on his cheek. Suddenly, you felt his arms wrap tightly around your waist, making you squeal slightly in surprise. The boy pulled you closer and burrowed his face into your neck.

Sleep still evident in his voice he asked, “Why are you watching me sleep?” Embarrassment colored your cheeks and disbelief made it hard to speak. He was awake? You were mortified that your weird little hobby of watching him sleep had been found out.

“How did you know?” you asked, your heart beating a mile a minute.

You felt the warm air on your neck as he chuckled lightly. “I could feel you smiling.”

“What? That doesn’t even make sense,” you giggled.

“I know.” He moved his head so you were both looking eye-to-eye. “So, tell me, am I that fascinating?”

Your cheeks were burning as you breathlessly replied, “Yes—You’re perfect.” A slow smile spread on his face as he stared at you before gradually leaning in for a light kiss.

“Thank you,” he said, breaking the kiss. He pulled you closer and held you tighter, nestling his face in your neck once again. You smiled and let out a small sigh. Just as you were getting comfortable and on the brink of sleep you caught a glimpse of the clock on the wall. Your eyes shot open and you pulled away from him.

“You’re going to be late for practice.” He groaned and mumbled into your neck, “Five more minutes.” You tried to protest, but he only hugged you closer.

“Fine. But only five minutes.” You finally relented and allowed yourself to relax into his embrace.