Chapter 1

Masquerade

 

The morning is just as typical as how it has always been, as if Lu Han haven't just arrived in Seoul at two in the morning. He wakes up at somewhere before seven, takes an hour or so to get ready, starts the smooth engines of his sleek, silver BMW convertible, and arrives at his office's parking lot ten minutes before the official office hours begin.

The handsome blonde man then walks in confidently with a cup of highly-overpriced, decaf coffee in one hand and a branded leather bag on the other one. Although the sum of his designer outfit may exceed the amount of what his door-man can collect in five-years or more, Lu Han will always give him a courteous nod and smile, because that is just what he is known as--the friendly heir of the company. Lu Han never forgets to wave and nod respectfully to anyone greeting him, sometimes even stopping to give full-90 degrees bow at the aged cleaning service who has been in the company since before he was born.

Nevertheless, malicious comments about the twenty-five years old man are still often heard, flying not-so-discreetly around the cubicles. There would always be rumors about him changing girlfriends oh-so-frequently, whispers of him being a party-animal of some kind, and most-frequently, gossips that all his kindness is just a pretty facade. Lu Han never gives a damn about any of it, though. Not all the rumors are baseless, but he chooses to keep his mind focused on the work given to him since he believes that all that ugly comments are only an embodiment of his colleagues' jealousy. He might be an heir to a multinational, foreign company, but he definitely deserves the spot he is in now, after two years of sweat and brilliant works.

However, he still never feels more comfortable than being in his own office. The spacious room in the twenty-fifth floor has become a sanctuary for him: a place where he can think clearly about new strategies or simply rest his hand after signing dozens of paper works needing his approval. The room is also his favorite place because there is a really special something--someone--who always waits for him there.

She is different from all the women he has encountered, Lu Han concludes. When all of them go for high-end brands, she will still be happy with cheap hand-made gifts. 'It's the thought that count,' she has always said. When women these days choose to shamelessly flaunt their assets to the world, she chooses to cover her ivory-like, pale skin with long sleeves and knee-length skirts. When he asks her why she is dressed like that, she will only flash her bright, pure smile and gently laugh while tucking a strand of her satin-like, long, black hair, giving him a mini heart attack.

Lu Han has known her since when they were in college--she was one-year his junior, although in different faculty. He really couldn't hide his excitement when she agreed to be his secretary, right after she graduated last semester. However, in the exact same month, his parents decided one-sidedly that he had to be engaged to one of their colleagues' daughter. Now, he is trapped in a marriage plan with another woman while the love of his life is right in front of him. He has always thought of luring her into having an affair with him, but he knows that she wouldn't approve cheating, being a righteous girl she is. Right now, he can only watch her from behind his desk, wondering whether he will ever get a chance to be with her.


 

Usually, when Lu Han enters his office, his beloved secretary, Lee Hana, would have been there to greet him with her blinding smile, being earlier than him for five minutes or so. But today, it seems that she is a little late as Lu Han is met with an empty room. He checks his phone--looking if Hana had sent him a message explaining her absence--only to find none. Lu Han's entire daily schedule is in Hana's hand, so he decides to use his free time to visit his best friend before she can bombard him with his pile of work.

Despite of his overall friendliness, Lu Han doesn't have many friends. When you are an heir to a billion dollars-making company, you will start to doubt others' intentions to approach you. Lu Han has dealed with too many gold-diggers and I'm-better-than-you type of riches that he has become somewhat paranoid. Besides Hana, he only considers another college-mate, Kim Minseok, and the daughter of his father’s friend who is now his fiancé, Choi Hyejung, as his friends. On second thought, Lu Han isn't sure if he can consider Hyejung as his friend. He trusts her, somewhat, but there are moments when he doubts her too.

As he walks to Minseok's office, Lu Han feels an uncomfortable churn in his stomach. His mind walks through the list of food he had for breakfast--simple omelet and a glass of milk--and he frowns because there isn't anything wrong with his meal. However, what he sees in the hallway worsen the twist in his stomach. Lu Han's breath is caught in his throat as he silently watches his brunette friend, Minseok, kisses Hana's cheek--his Hana--and the later giggles shyly while pushing his chest away half-heartedly.

The chubby man whom he considers as his best friend is kissing the love of his life. Great.

It isn't long until Hana notices Lu Han's presence--in a guilt-ridden look in her eyes--and smiles sheepishly at him. "Hi, Lu Han-oppa," she croaks a soft greeting at him. Minseok turns around at Hana's words and blushes when he sees his blonde best friend, stunned in front of them. However, it doesn't make him loosen his hold on Hana's waist. Instead, he tightens it so that she bumps into him, which earns him another weak slap from her.

"Hi, Han!"

"Hi," Lu Han greets back, surprised that he can found his voice so quickly. With utmost effort, he curves his lips into a small smile. "I was on my way to visit you, Minseokkie, because Hana is unusally late. It turns out that..." Lu Han trails off but Hana hurriedly supplies with a groggy laughter.

"I'm so sorry..."

"I'm sorry I borrowed your secretary for a while, Han," Minseok cuts Hana off without sounding apologetic at all. In fact, a hint of smugness is heard in his light voice.

Lu Han gulps. He tells himself that he only imagines that proudness coming from Minseok's tone, because he knows that Minseok wouldn't do something as low as bragging about getting the woman whom Lu Han loves. The blonde is sure that Minseok is oblivious about Lu Han's interest in Hana.

"No problem," Lu Han assures with another forced smile. "When exactly did you two..."

"Last Sunday."

There is a clear affection in the way Minseok looks at Hana. It is not something new, Lu Han realizes, because that is exactly how Minseok looks at Hana since when they were in college. How could Lu Han forget that his best friend is also having a crush to Hana? Just because nearly all the women they know prefer Lu Han over his brunette best friend doesn't make Minseok an easy suitor to defeat. Today, the brunette has proved it that winning Hana's heart has nothing to do with popularity among females.

"Congrats, guys," he hears himself says, but Lu Han knows there is no sincerity in his words, just like everything else in his life.