Warmth

Warmth

"Baby, don't cry anymore, this scene is so familiar
Tightly holding your hand, we are both unwilling to separate”
 
A certain tune crosses Donghae’s mind, as just what the line says--- he is holding Hyukjae’s earlier warm, now cold and frail hand. He forces a lump back in his throat.
“Every time I want to say something I instead preserve the silence


Everyone around him, everything that he has heard comes back to him. Unable to speak, unable to say whatever he wants--- to cherish the moment until the latter might perish. 
Hyukjae peeks through his lashes and stares a fraction too long at Donghae, while Donghae looks downward, returning the soft and longing and the sorrowful gaze that Hyukjae offers. 

“Give me a minute to concentrate on admiring your beauty
“Tears of frustration cannot measure the weight of love
I cannot withdraw the love I already gave and I can't give you all the love I owe you”


Hyukjae, rather, feels the same, retreating the tears back. Reminiscing to where they have started, to where they have met, to where they found each other’s eyes hold such immense promises. 

“Don't take along my heart to follow you”



What half of the population has been waiting for has occurred. Half, who seems to watch and fancy a dead person returning back to life, returns to its life differently. Will see everyone differently, an appetite of a certain creature that everyone sees differently. 

He works at the local not-so-super-market market. A fair profit, that he receives for every 15th of the month, and the end of the month. Donghae seemingly enjoys where he is working at. Oblivious to the slight gain he earns for himself. 
“As usual, a lovely day it is,”  Donghae muses breathily as he picks up tons and tons of crates for the local store. Sweat runs down on his forehead, and swats them out of his eyes with the back of his hand. He is exceptionally beautiful nevertheless his hair is disheveled and sweaty from his hard work. He is a handsome man. 
He picks up an unusual amount to carry to the nearest aisle. Unaware of the incoming stature. The cliché meeting. Yes, they bumped into each other. Indeed, a common introductory of the two main characters, what about the ending? 

Donghae cussed something in his dialect, that Hyukjae doesn’t appear to understood. Confused by the earlier “greeting” that Donghae gave, he, then still offered an apology with a mix of “Hello, nice to meet you.” 

Donghae’s gaze softens, his heart picking up the beat, his breath--- out of reach. “A lovely day it is,” is what he offers Hyukjae. Hyukjae’s eyes crinkled out of delight, he returns Donghae’s “Good morning,” with a “Indeed. A lovely day it is.” Hyukjae took the advantage of Donghae’s empty hands by shaking it graciously. Donghae enjoys this. Whilst Hyukjae, not too far with Donghae was feeling, enjoys the moment he hoped to last forever. 
“Hyukjae.” 


“Donghae.”


“I finally understand the truest taste of love”   


Good mornings and good nights has never been this wonderful to Donghae. Hyukjae has made everything glisten, sparkle, and shine with love. Each night they would exchange soft whispers of secrets they could not tell anyone except to themselves. They have grown to like each other, love each other, to the point that they cannot stand the minute the other one is gone out to piss for a while. 
Hyukjae is a trainee in a huge company, whilst Donghae is desperate of becoming a pastry chef(which he had thought for a while after meeting someone, someone precious). They do not yet have their hands on their hopeful dreams but after the exchange of “A lovely day it is,” it has made all the difference. They now have their grasps on something holds so much beauty, relief and lovely days.

“Every time we part ways, I am deeply defeated by you


An occurance of a few arguments and quarrels that lasts a few hours has made them realize how a few seconds can last longer without each other by their side. 
The other would come knocking on the latter’s front door, despite heavy rains and heavy traffics, you can expect a knock on the door, filled with longing and apology. 
The recent one was because of a photograph of Hyukjae and his colleague. Hyukjae was positively on the photo. “I visited my sick friend, that was all. And I am not in here.” He then points at the picture and  as a proof he zooms in the photo and there, Donghae found a black cloth, which wraps around Hyukjae’s magnificent figure and there, also, Donghae found a sigh of relief. 
Hyukjae also found Donghae’s soft and parting lips. There, also they found a comfortable couch which can probably last for a few hours of love-making-after-an-argument. That was the first time Hyukjae made the assault, and to that, Donghae has found euphoria he is feeling for his not-so-innocent lover. 


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Days gone by, television no longer hold so much color. Radio transmitters muses babbles and nonsense. They cannot fathom everything that is happening into reality. 
Wrapped around each other’s arms and warmth. They grasps on each other’s heartbeat. The exchange of scents, laundered linens and cloths, sweats and fears. 

They have nothing else on the cupboard, the refrigerator, the cupboards again—they have nothing except each other. Donghae cannot bear the pain seeping in Hyukjae’s body and mind. He decided to run on the nearest super market he works at. Donghae presumes, Hyukjae is soundly asleep. 

He was wrong. 


A painful cry alarms Donghae, startled, that he is. Scared, even, as he recognize the agonizing beseech he is hearing right at the moment. 

Everything was wrong. 

He ran toward the ringing sound.

His heartbeat fastens its pace, his face pales.

He stabs the creature’s main heart—its brain. 

Slowly, they sunk lower to the ground. 

Hyukjae no longer shines with beautiful color of a human being. 

Donghae whispers comforts, which he hopes to be of support of his dying lover. 

Tears run down their beautiful and damaged façade. 

Holding each other so dearly.

It’s no use. 

“Baby, don't cry anymore, this scene is so familiar
Tightly holding your hand, we are both unwilling to separate” 


A certain tune crosses Donghae’s mind, as just what the line says--- he is holding Hyukjae’s earlier warm, now cold and frail hand. He forces a lump back in his throat. 

“Every time I want to say something I instead preserve the silence


Everyone around him, everything that he has heard comes back to him. Unable to speak, unable to say whatever he wants--- to cherish the moment until the latter might perish. 
Hyukjae peeks through his lashes and stares a fraction too long at Donghae, while Donghae looks downward, returning the soft and longing and the sorrowful gaze that Hyukjae offers. 

“Give me a minute to concentrate on admiring your beauty
“Tears of frustration cannot measure the weight of love
I cannot withdraw the love I already gave and I can't give you all the love I owe you”


Hyukjae, rather, feels the same, retreating the tears back. Reminiscing to where they have started, to where they have met, to where they found each other’s eyes hold such immense promises. 

Donghae cried it all out. 

He does not care anymore.  

He wants to be with him.

Not with some flesh-eating creatures.

But the warm blood gushing out of Hyukjae’s neck wakes him up from his reverie.

What’s done is done.


He reaches out Hyukjae’s still plump lips, albeit cracked and pain and sorrow screams out. 

Donghae kisses his lover. Oblivious that the latter will not return his kiss like the usual, he kisses him, he longs for his warmth.

“Every time we part ways, Every time I kiss you goodbye
at that moment I finally fully understand the taste of love”


Hyukjae’s shoulder’s slumped, his hands now on the ground, tears making it’s appearance, while he, himself disappears. Leaving his lover behind--- weeping, sobbing, and crying out a name that rolls perfectly on his tongue. 

“Hyukjae”


Fighting the urge to sleep forever, he muses a wonderful name that exists in his world.


“Donghae”