UN0

four words from a | heart;B R E A K

The store was empty, as it usually was since now-a-days people tended to buy books online or in major bookstores, not at second-hand ones like his. He didn’t need the business anyway; he had a hefty trust fund to fall back on, running the store was just something to pass the time so he wouldn’t think about the incident. The lack of customers, however, did make him feel lonely at times, but he supposed he deserved it, he shouldn’t be allowed to get close to anyone anyway.

He flipped through the pages of a thick leather-bound book on the counter in front of him, seeing the words but not registering it in full sentences.  His hands were large and rough with scars running across them, a particularly noticeable running from the back of his hand to his palm in a thick, jagged line.  The bell over the door chimed and his eyes flitted away from the page to glance at the visitor.

“Hello!” The girl gave a small smile, heading over to the counter. “By any chance, would you happen to carry the Norton Critical edition of Heart of Darkness?  I’ve been looking for it everywhere and I don’t have time to order it online.”

She was pretty, and petite with an inviting face that made him almost want to hold a conversation with her- almost. Yoochun nodded and gave a rough grunt instead. "I'll check the back for you."

He retrieved the book fairly quickly and wordlessly dropped it onto the counter with a thud.The girl's face lit up. "You have it!  How much?"

"Twenty."

The young woman reached into her purse, shuffling through her wallet. "Ah, I only have a five on me.  Do you take credit?"

Yoochun shook his head and drummed his fingers on the counter.  Her face fell, "Oh. And the bank is already closed..." She chewed her bottom lip thoughtfully and then turned to leave. "Well thanks anyway."

"Wait." Yoochun said just as the girl reached out for the handle on the door. "Take it."

The girl turned with a frown, pulling her hand away from the door knob. "What?"

"Take it." Yoochun placed the book in a paper bag and slid it to the edge of the counter.

"Oh no, I couldn't just take it." She waved her hands out in rejection. "What if I pay you back tomorrow?"

Yoochun looked down at the book and then back at her. "Sure." He said, but he didn't expect her too.

The girl smiled, her doe-eyes filled with appreciation as she came forward to grab the book. "Thank you." She reached into her pocket and stuck a card on the table. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah." Yoochun said gruffly, watching her leave before slowly picking up the business card.  Moon AeCha.  She wouldn't be back, and he couldn't blame her for it. Who would?