That Rainy Evening

That Rainy Evening

Your POV

The sky was dark. I had to hurry home. I hurried to my blue-black bicycle, parked against the wall of school's building and began paddling. I looked to the sky as the dark clouds grew ominous. A flash of forked lighting and a great clap of thunder came close upon each other. It frightened me.

 

"Oh no! It's going to rain!" I whined as I washed the raindrops on the tip of my nose. Ominous black clouds released a sudden shower. As I had neither a raincoat nor an umbrella, I was soon drenched to the skin. I could barely see the road because of the rain that pelted down the skies. 

 

Then, my eyes caught a bus stop. I cycled and leaned my bicycle at the tree before running towards the bus stop as I wanted to avoid the impending rain.

 

I sat on the bench, "Now I need to wait for the rain to stop..Alone" I sighed heavily while hugging my bagpack, warming up the temperature as the wind started blowing fiercely.

 

I gazed blankly at the signboard of Coffee Latte House, located opposite the bus stop as the cars were speeding down the road. Puddles of water was everywhere, making the road slippery and dangerous.

 

I glanced at my watch, "Gosh, it's already five o'clock and it still rains cats and dogs. My phone ran out of battery and I'm sure Mom would kill me for getting late!"

 

The wind was howling. I shrugged in coldness. I was bored, waiting alone for the rains to stop. I was glancing emotionlessly at the cars drifted, passing the shop when my eyes locked at a guy came out from the coffee shop. He stood across the road, waiting for the red light with a yellowish umbrella on his left hand. My heart fluttered with his looks. Cute and charming. Those were things that came across my mind when I first saw him.

 

He looked dashing in his casual attires with black and white jacket and a denim skinny jeans. A melodious rhythm suddenly played in my mind. I saw him walking across the road and headed to me. My eyes popped out. "H-he walks to me?! Oh my goodness! Does he notice me, gazing at him?" I muttered nervously.

 

I cleared my throats and switched my eyes direction. He closed his umbrella and crept to the bench. As he sat on the bench, my heartbeat pumping faster than usual. He was on earphones, listening to the music with his eyes cosed. I blinked at him several times and scanned his perfect face. His eyes, nose and his pink-reddish lips.

 

"Are you done scanning me?" The voice froze me for a few seconds. He opened his eyes and stared at me. My face turned pink as my cheeks burned. I swifted my body, straight to the shop.

 

"Why am I scanning his face? ! I felt so embarrassed!" I muttered as lightly hit my forehead. Mom, please help me!, I screamed in my mind. I cleared my throats and ignored his question. The sound of rin filled the room for seconds before, "Hey you want some of this?" he offered me some buns. I glimpsed at him. I bit my lips while thinking. It was really cold and frankly, I'm kinda hungry. Should I accept it or not?

 

"Hello, my arm felt tired already..If you don't want, okay then," he uttered. But before he pulled his hand, I hurriedly grab the bun and ate it hungrily, ignoring his existence.

 

"Wow, you're really hungry!" He giggled at my action. His cute dimples appeared. So cute! While I ate, he opened some conversation and shared some stories with me, He also mentioned that it is not proper for girls, came home this late because something bad might happen. After a friendly chit-chat, he excused himself and walked away, leaving me alone there.

 

The clock striked six and it still raining even though it did not rain heavily. A loud horn from a golden Swift car attracted me as my retina spotted an old woman crossing the road. I dashed to her and pulled her aside. The incident happened in a blink. Now I was at the side of the road with the old woman.

 

"Thank you, cucu! Thanks you for saving my life! I could've die if you didn't save me just now!" She murmured on how glad she is. (A/N: Cucu means grandchild)

 

"Are you okay, Nek?" I questioned her. She nodded lightly. I helped her to stand up. "Oh my! Your shirt!" I looked down to my shirt. (A/N: Nek means grandma)

 

"Your shirt is dirty and it's all my fault. You cannot go home in this condition. I am sure your Mom will be angry," she said in concern. I grinned, agreeing with her. "Mom would've blabber before I could eneter the house," my mind spoke.

 

I was helping her, collecting the fruits that scattered on the road. "I am sorry I couldn't save most of it." She smiled. I took a glimpsed at her clothes. She wore a worn out scarlet baju kurung with kain batik on her head as her tudung, carrying an old basket around her wrist. Her appearance already gave me goosebumps.

 

"This is the last one!" I put an orange in the basket, "Thank you, cu How about I treat you a dinner at my house while you wash the dirt on your shirt?" she suggested.

 

"Ermm..I don't-"

 

"Please accept my wish. I want to repay your kindness and good deeds for saving my life. Please, cucu!" She persuaded me. My smile faltered. My mind screamed 'yes' while my heart said 'no'. I just could not decide!

 

"I don't know, Nek!" I sighed in guilty. "Cu, look at me! Look deeper, into my eyes! You will follow me back home, okay?" She gave me an order. As I was in spells, I nodded and uttered in monotone, "Yes, I will follow you back home."

 

She grabbed my wrist and started walking. My legs moved on its own, meekly. I tailed from back, walking along the pedestrian and some bushes. We stopped in front of a wooden house.

 

A clap from her hand awaked me. I was surprised to see a house with a beautiful garden. It was full with flowers, variety of flowers, arranged neatly along the house compund. "W-Where are we, Nek?" I asked.

 

"Welcome to my house, cucu! Come in. I think our dinner is ready."

 

"Really? I thought you will cook for us?" She shook her head and smiled mischievously. My eyebrows knitted. "Come in first, then you'll figure it out soon." 

 

I entered the house and my steps stopped dramatically when I saw the house especially the sitting room. Wow! Her house is super duper clean yet neat. The decoration's too. Even beautiful than my house. Unbelievable! The phrase Don't judge a book by it's cover is absolutely right, this time!

 

I pulled myself out of thought when someone spoke from the kitchen, "Why are you late, Mom?"

 

"Sorry, but I bring a guest," Nek cooed. I jolted up with her sudden answer. She then led me to the kitchen.

 

"Son? Meet my granchild!" She introduced me to her son. I was shocked and speechless to meet face-to-face with her son. Once again, unbelievable! "This.Is.Your.Son?" I quickly closed my mouth with palm as the question escaped from my mouth.

 

"Sorry for asking such impolite question," I apologised. I mentally slapped myself for asking that silly question. It just that I was way too shocked to know the truth about him, the guy who offered me buns just now, at the bus stop. He did not seem happy with my presence there.

 

"Mom, can we talk for a second?" he asked.

 

"Cu, sit down and take a look at the dish first. Okay?" I nodded and sat on the chair. The dishes looked delicious and mouth-wtering. There were curry fish, tempoyak, fried fish and vegetables like pegaga and ulam raja.

 

I glanced at Nek and her son. They looked like they were argue.

 

"Mom! Why'd you bring her? She's human and she's not suppose to be here!" 

 

"Yes, I know she's human! I just want to repay her for saving me. That's all! Now, can we eat?" They paced to the table. Nek smiled at me while her son was in scowl.

 

"Let's eat! Cu, don't be shy! Just eat comfortably," she said. We ate in silent, only the sound of an old fan filled the room. I felt awkward with this situation because during dinner time usually the noisiest time at home.

 

I shifted my gaze to my wrist. It was already 7.10 p.m, almost Maghrib. I was about to eat when my ears caught Azan from a mosque, calling the Muslims to pray. That time I suddenly felt like my body was free from binding of chains. A sudden scream shocked me out. I rosed my head to see Nek knelt and shouted in pain. So did her son.

 

"Stop! Please help us, cucu! I feel hot! Help us!" She begged and laid on the floor while holding her ears. Their house changed. The kitchen had turned into old and messy. I glimpsed at the table. The dishes were full with worms and rubbish which make me to vomit. It was disgusting! I could not imagine that was the food I almost swallow!

 

The situation made me felt uneasy when the Azan stopped. My eyes wandered around, searching for Nek and her son, but there was no sight of them. I took the chance to get out from the house, as soon as possible. I ran to the back door but something stopped me.

 

"Where are you going, my dear granchild?" I heard a voice- a voice that could make my legs shaken and passed out to the ground. I could see the door, in front of me but my body could not move. It just cannot make any movement of motion.

 

"Cu, turn your face!" She said, sternly. I had no choice but to turn my face when it suddenly turn by itself. I closed my eyes.

 

"Open your eyes, dear! Look at me!" 

 

"No! I won't!" I shouted loudly. My eyes disobeyed my order when it slowly open. I screamed on top of my lung when I saw a pontianak (banshee) laughing eerily. I fell on the ground and tears began to well in my eyes.

 

"Please, don't hurt me! Please!" I begged as I move backward, step by step.

 

"Sshhh..Don't cry, cu! I won't hurt you. I just want your blood! Hahaha!" she laughed, evilly.

 

"N-No! Mom!" I stuttered as she moved forward, closer to me. I closed my eyes, tightly.

 

I was shaken to death when I heard her breath on my neck. She drank my blood pleasurely.

 

"Leave her alone!" I heard someone yelled when I slowly felt dizzy and weak. And unconscious!

 

##############################################################################

 

"When will she awake?" My ears caught a voice - the voice that I missed so much! I slowly opened my eyes. I saw a white ceiling, bright lights and wires on my hands. Then, I saw my parent's relieved and glad faces.

 

"Abang, tell the doctor. Our child is conscious!" Mother cried to Father. I could tell Father was running by hearing his footsteps. Mother hugged me.

 

"Honey, thank you for awake! Thank you! You know how worried we are when you laying on this bed? My heart could've stop beating if you do it again!" She kissed my forehead as tears fall on her flawless cheeks.

 

"What exactly happen to me?" I was in daze. She told me that someone, a guy found me laying on the ground, unconsciously, near a garbage. Everyone was curious about what exactly happen to me that day. I wish I could tell but all I remembered was I came home late and the rain. She even told me that I was hospitalised for three days. 

 

Haru haru (Day by day), I had recovered and returned home. I was delightful to return home. Nothing much that I could do in the hospital because patients had to rest, said the doctor, but at home, I could do whatever I want as long as Mother did not know.

 

After five days being a patient, making me to think how I need some fresh air. I put on my green blouse with white denim jeans and a dark green shawl. Satisfied with my looks, I crept downstairs and walked to the front doors. I wore the sandals on the shoe shelf and dashed to my bicycle - my new bicycle because Father told me, my bicycle was missing.

 

I paddled without any destination and stopped at a coffee shop.

 

"Why'd I stopped here?" I asked myself. Deja vu. I shrugged did no want to care and stepped into the shop.

 

'DING-DONG'

 

The shop was crowded. After buying some buns and mocca milkshake, I was on my way out from the shop when my shulder bumped with someone's. "Sorry!" we said in unison. He passed to me my paper bag. I took a quick glimpsed at him. He looks familiar to me.

 

Then, I spotted something - his yellow umbrella when he walked out just now. Deja vu. I paced to a bus stop, opposite to the shop because there was no seats for me as it packed like sardine. I sat on the bench, enjoying the food. 

 

"How are you feeling, cucu?" My head snapped at the word.