can you keep a secret?

Silent Suicide

"I knew he was a depressed person."

"He’s a retard."

“What a crazy guy.”

Those were some of the nasty comments that Luhan heard when he walked into his homeroom that morning. He grimaced at the remarks his classmates made about Jongin - one of the students there who had just committed suicide the other day. He settled down into his seat and placing his bag aside, he put on his headphones and played a song on his phone, wanting to ignore the people around him.

It had been hard enough that one of his closest friends committed suicide; god knows how much he cried the other night when he received a call from Jongin's mother. A lump formed in his throat at the thought of Jongin.

He was such a bright guy, always helping others- nobody would have guessed that he wanted to commit suicide. Luhan remembered sobbing helplessly at the suicide scene. Jongin's mother had come over to him and all Luhan could offer her was a warm hug.


 

If it was hard for him, who is merely a friend, what about Mrs. Kim, who had lost her husband even before Jongin was born?

 

He sighed softly, frustrated. His objective of listening to music was to make him forget, at least momentarily, about what happened to- his head shot up and he glared at the person who had dared to take off his headphones.

Turned out it was only Sehun, his boyfriend. Sehun smiled gently and brushed away Luhan's bangs, pressing his lips against his forehead.

 

Luhan's lips broke into a small, sad smile.

"I know it's hard, Lu, but everything is going to be okay," Sehun promised as he sat down beside him. Luhan hesitated a bit before nodding. 

"Okay," he whispered. "I trust you."
Luhan ignored his classmates' whisperings and judging looks, for once.


-----

Both Sehun and Luhan were surprised when Baekhyun came in late for history class. Baekhyun is, after all, a studious person who has never been late for class before, so Luhan was pretty sure it hadn't been only Sehun and him who were shocked.


"I'm sorry, sir. I... overslept."

After receiving a simple nod from the teacher, Baekhyun hurried to his seat, which was beside Chanyeol, his bestfriend.

Sehun, who couldn't help but feel like Baekhyun had lied, turned around and threw a short glance at the latter before turning back to the front, something tugging his heart.

 

Suspicion? It can't be that, could it?

-----

Baekhyun sat down on his bed, across from where Chanyeol was sitting. After mulling it over in his mind, he played with the hem of his shirt nervously. He had made up his mind, which was to tell Chanyeol what he saw. He had to tell someone, his bestfriend, at least. Baekhyun can trust him with a secret, right?

 

"Yeol, I can trust you right?" Baekhyun asked, his face turning a bit pale as though he had just seen a ghost.

"Sure, of course," Chanyeol mumbled, and then continued flipping through the magazine that he was reading.

"Look, Yeol, I have to tell you a secret, and you must promise not to tell a soul."

 

“Sure thing, Baek.”

“Do you swear on your life?”

“Baek, I swear. Just tell me.”


"Chanyeol, something horrible happened yesterday, I-" Baekhyun's lips quivered and the tears that were pooling in his eyes threatened to spill.

"Why, what happened?" Chanyeol placed the magazine aside and studied Baekhyun’s face carefully.

Baekhyun covered his mouth as he replied, the tears now streaking down his face. "I had something to do w-with Jongin's suicide. I-I saw it and it-it wasn't suicide, someone... killed him! I'm not the killer, Yeol, I swear I'm not!"


Baekhyun then sobbed frantically, pulling at his hair as if he was angry at himself, although it was obvious that it wasn't his fault. Chanyeol was shocked momentarily, and he left Baekhyun's room once the news sunk in.


"I'm sorry Baek. I'll be right back," he whispered.

“But Yeol, I’m not the murderer, I swear!” Baekhyun cried out.

“I know, Baek. I just… need some time to think.”


Baekhyun pulled his knees up to his chest, crying desperately when he heard the door closed.

 

He had just told his own best friend that he was at the scene where the suicide took place but he wasn’t the one who killed Jongin yet Chanyeol doesn’t even believe him- and if even his own best friend doesn’t believe him, how is he supposed to tell other people about what he saw?

 

Baekhyun is scared less because the killer’s warning was stuck inside his head. He didn’t dare to tell others who the killer is but he is just dying to do so.

However, if he did that, his life would be doomed.


-----

"Are you kidding me right now?" Sehun mumbled as he rubbed soothing circles into Luhan's back.

"Baekhyun pushed Jongin to his death? How can he do that?" Sehun ran his hand through Luhan's hair, gently caressing it in hopes of calming his boyfriend down.

Luhan eventually stopped sobbing and wrapped his arms around Sehun's waist, hugging him tightly. "I-I don't understand, Sehun. W-Why...."

Sehun sighed and held Luhan's face in his hands, gently pressing his lips against the other's, then pulled away. With a small, unsure smile on his lips, he told Luhan, “Things are going to be okay. Don’t worry.”

-----

Baekhyun felt absolutely depressed and awful after school. He couldn’t believe Chanyeol would spread the word that he was the one who pushed Jongin towards committing suicide. The amount of hate, bashing, snarky remarks and beating he received that day was overwhelming.

 

Baekhyun sighed as he entered his room, throwing his bag aside and heading to the bathroom for a bath. What he certainly didn’t expect was to find Chanyeol banging on the front door when he finished bathing.

 

“Why are you here?” Baekhyun snapped when he opened the door.

“God, Baekhyun, I heard what happened at school today. Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked and came forward to hug him, only to get pushed away.

“I think it’s funny how you were absent today Yeol. Now leave,” Baekhyun replied sarcastically.

 

“Baek, I don’t get it, why did this happen to you? Did you pick a fight?” Chanyeol held onto the sides of his best friend’s arms.

“I don’t know Chanyeol, maybe it’s because you made up a story about me being the one who made Jongin commit suicide,” Baekhyun answered and struggled out of Chanyeol’s iron grip before slamming the door closed, locking it securely.

“What story? Baek, I didn’t tell anyone anything!”

-----

”I really miss Jongin,” Sehun muttered as he lied down on his bed. Luhan, who had just entered the room, gave him a brief glance before laying down beside him.

“Are you feeling better?” Sehun asked and pulled Luhan closer by his waist.

“Fine.”

“That’s great to hear. Lu, don’t you… don’t you think it’s such a waste that Jongin committed suicide?” Sehun questioned while playing with Luhan’s hair.

 

“He didn’t commit suicide remember.” Luhan stared right at the ceiling, his face stoic and expressionless.

 

“Yes, I know but- it’s such a waste- I miss him so much. How can he do this?”  Sehun whispered.

“I’m going to sleep, Hun. I’m tired.” He turned his back onto Sehun and closed his eyes when a pair of arms was wrapped around his waist.

“Are you angry at me? Lu, I’m sorry for bringing up Jongin,” Sehun said, but the other merely ignored him.

“Lu?”

 

Laughter soon filled the room when Sehun decided to tickle Luhan’s sides, and they shared a sweet kiss before they went to sleep, both people feeling fairly happy.

-----

Baekhyun sighed as he walked out of the restroom. It was hard to avoid Chanyeol, seeing as how tall the guy was, it’d be easy for the latter to spot him. He was walking down the hallway with his head down when he bumped into someone.


“I’m sorry!” That person held his arms before he could fall.

“It’s okay… Luhan,” Baekhyun thanked his homeroom mate and Luhan smiled slightly.


‘He must still feel bad….’ Baekhyun offered Luhan a small smile at the other and asked, “What class are you having after this?”

“Acting class… I’ll see you around Baek,” Luhan replied, then walked off to his boyfriend who had been waiting for him a few meter ahead.

-----

Luhan kneeled down in front of Jongin’s grave, a sad smile painted on his face. “Why did you have to go at such a young age, Jongin? We haven’t even graduated yet….”

Sehun, who was standing behind Luhan, crossed his arms and let out a soft sigh. He knew it was hard for Luhan. Heck, it has been weeks since the ‘suicide’ happened but Luhan has not been able to smile brightly like how the old Luhan did.

He requested Sehun to bring him to see Jongin’s grave, so that he can tell Jongin the things he wished he could’ve told him when he was alive- so he could say a proper goodbye.


Sehun completely understand. Luhan and Jongin had been friends for so long, ever since they were little children. They were the best of friends, at least until they went to high school. Luhan fell in love with Sehun, Jongin fell in love with dancing- the inseparable two were finally parting into their own ways but they never really did fell apart.

Jongin would occasionally join Sehun and Luhan for lunch, and they would hang out together during weekends, and there were the rare weekends where they have a sleepover and night movies at Jongin’s house.


Sehun was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn’t realize Luhan was crying. He glanced at the latter who was hugging his knees close to his chest, sobbing wildly.


“Y-You promised, Jongin! You promised that we will grow up together; that I will be an actor and you would be a dancer! You said t-that we were g-going to have a h-happy ending, a-and that we w-were going to get our h-happy endings to-together,” Luhan wailed.

“, Luhan,” Sehun cursed and kneeled down beside his lover, pulling the other into his embrace.


“You remember when y-you made that promise, Jongin? Well, you broke it! You ing broke your promise, Jongin!” Luhan screamed.

“We had such a bright future ahead o-of us, a-and now-”

 

“Luhan, calm down. Stop it, baby,” Sehun whispered, running his hand through Luhan’s hair as he held the other in his arms carefully.


“You wanted to say your goodbye to Jongin, right Luhan? That’s why you’re here. You’re not here to scold him for his broken promises, Lu. You want to move on with life, don’t you Lu?” He whispered into Luhan’s ear.


Luhan was a sobbing mess. He kept on hiccupping and he clinged onto Sehun’s shirt for a good fifteen minute. He glanced at Jongin’s grave and sniffed. “I-I’m sorry, Jongin, I didn’t mean to scream… I was just upset with you. I hope you can r-rest in p-peace now Jongin.”

-----

Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol. “I’ll see you after school then, Yeol. Thanks for everything,” he told the latter before walking off to his class.

Chanyeol grinned brightly. He was glad Baekhyun was back to being the old him. Even though it took him weeks to ‘help’ Baekhyun out with the suicide scene that he saw, it was worth it. It was all worth it.

-----

Luhan smiled slightly when he saw Sehun entering the homeroom. Even though Luhan was going through hell, Sehun’s presence always makes everything feel better, even for a little while.

“How are you, Lu? Feeling better?” Sehun kissed his head and sat down beside him.

“A bit better, actually. Thanks for… yesterday,” Luhan replied, his cheeks heating up in embarrassment at the thought of what happened at Jongin’s grave the other day.

Sehun laughed slightly and held Luhan’s hand. “It’s okay.”

 

Chanyeol walked into the homeroom, looking around the class. When his eyes caught sight of Luhan, he froze.

 

Luhan raised his eyebrows in confusion when Chanyeol glared daggers at him. Sehun tightened his grip around Luhan’s hand securely. “Ignore that kind of people Lu,” Sehun assured him.

Luhan bit his lips and stared at his table. Sehun sighed and spoke softly. “Look, Lu, don’t even start blaming yourself on another thing that you didn’t even do. He suddenly came in and glared at you for no reason, maybe he’s just having a bad day.”

Luhan looked up at his lover and nodded, smiling meekly.

Sehun did promise him that everything would be fine, after all.

-----

Chanyeol wandered around the school, searching for Baekhyun. ‘He said he would meet me after school….’

He took out his phone and texted Baekhyun, questioning his whereabouts, in which he got ‘home. I got sick’ as a reply. Chanyeol pouted slightly as he left the school ground.

“He should’ve told me earlier, I wouldn’t have had to wait for ten minutes,” he mumbled, feeling a little angry at his best friend.

-----

“Wow, I can’t believe we had another retard in this school,” a student told her friend.

“Yeah, and to think I actually used to crush on him.”

 

Luhan, who had just settled in his seat, turned towards Sehun, his face etched with curiousity.

Sehun sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets. “You know Byun Baekhyun? That genius kid who is in our homeroom? He committed suicide yesterday.”

Luhan froze. “What?” He whispered.

-----

It had been only a few days since Baekhyun’s suicide, and Chanyeol was so sick of people saying that Baekhyun deserved it. He sighed heavily and opened his locker where he found a note attached to it.

‘Meet me at the rooftop please. I have something to confess.’

The note wasn’t signed, but Chanyeol had an idea of who it would be.

-----

Chanyeol opened the door to the school rooftop.

“You came.”

“Of course I did, Luhan. I would like to know why you murdured Baekhyun,” Chanyeol snapped.

 

Luhan turned to face him, a smirk gracing his lips.

 

“Because he told you that I was the one who pushed Jongin to his death. I told him to keep it as a secret, but he didn’t. He deserved,” Luhan said as he walked up to Chanyeol, “to die.”

“Look, my original plan was to kill Jongin, then it’s all over, but Baekhyun just had to spill my secret to you.”

Chanyeol scoffed and rolled his eyes. “Nobody can keep secrets, Luhan. You for one know that. Why did you… push Jongin to his death?”

“Simple as this. Once upon a time, I saw Jongin confessing his love to Sehun. He betrayed me- he told me he was happy for me, but he was just lying. Then another day, I saw Jongin moving in to kiss Sehun.”

Chanyeol looked at Luhan curiously. “Sehun pushed him away, right…?”

“Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t,” Luhan mumbled, but Chanyeol could see past him.

 

So Sehun did kiss Jongin back.

 

Luhan shook his head, and then the stoic expression was back on.

“That’s not the reason you’re here, Chanyeol,” he said.

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow and was about to ask when Luhan swiftly took out a shiv from his pocket and stabbed Chanyeol right in the gut.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he stared at Luhan in shock, his face slowly scrunching up in pain as he let out a low grunt, in which he receives a smirk from the other.


“Because three can keep a secret if two are dead. Isn’t that right, Park Chanyeol?” He hissed, pulling out the shiv and stabbing Chanyeol again.

-----

“Chanyeol committed suicide?” Sehun asked in disbelief.

“Yeah,” Luhan replied, nodding numbly.

Sehun pulled Luhan into a hug. “What if someone is out to kill the students?” Luhan whispered.

“Bull. I won’t let that person kill you. As long as I’m alive, you won’t die on me Lu.”

 

Luhan encircled his arms around Sehun’s waist, a small smirk on his lips.

“Thanks, Sehun. I love you.”

“I love you too, Lu.”


prompt used: #1 "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead" - Benjamin Franklin


a/n: 2.6k+ words. i know some of you might find this oneshot confusing, so please do comment if you want a 'behind-the-story' explaination. I might make one if you guys want to know why Luhan acted how he did, killing people recklessly, and perhaps Sehun's back-story as well :) do comment, lovelies x